Apple Airtags

13 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

We have a Tile in all of our bags (suitcases, backpacks, and carry ons). We haven't needed to track anything yet, but it gives us peace of mind in case something goes missing.

FWIW, we all have Android phones so Airtags aren't useful.

How well do they track your bags? I hear that the results can be mixed compared with Apple.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Cause too much stress… showed a case left behind ( which it wasn’t!) 

7DF48BE4-3CF7-445A-AF75-BD8BA92ED4E8.png

We laughed our heads off when I checked for our bags on the last cruise and it showed my bag floating somewhere near Terminal 25. 😂

• Haha 2

I have them on our cats.   At the moment the cats are indoors only but plan is to get a dog and reinstall the doggie door.   The latest iTile has a replaceable battery and an expanded range.  

I also find one essential on My Precious, aka my Kindle.   It was lost once for a month (pre-Tile) when DH found it and handed it to me I literally clutched it my chest in joy.   

• Like 3

We just recently got Air Tags thanks to a set of keys with one of those pricey key fobs falling out of DH’s pocket and getting lost. We figured out quickly that since the car wouldn’t start without one of our key fobs in the car that they were in the car. We tore the car apart and couldn’t find them anywhere. The next day we headed out to do some errands. We were about a block away from our house when DH tells me to turn the car around and go home. He slid his hand in between the car seat and center console and his hand landed landed right on the keys! We went back home and I started researching Air Tags. We have not needed them for lost items yet but have run tests with them that were very successful. We’re looking forward to a lot less stress the next time something we’ve tagged goes missing! 😀

• Like 2

9 hours ago, barbeyg said:

We laughed our heads off when I checked for our bags on the last cruise and it showed my bag floating somewhere near Terminal 25. 😂

Yes, our missing bag was then floating down the Solent behind us… appearing to be in the NCL ship that was following at that exact distance !! 

• Haha 2

One other challenge with asset trackers is that they show you a 2D map of their location. A ship or hotel has multiple levels. Go to the spot on the map only to discover you're on the wrong floor 🙂

Still better than nothing though. Similar issue in the parking garage at the airport. Followed tracker to car, but car wasn't there. I was two levels too low!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robmtx said:

One other challenge with asset trackers is that they show you a 2D map of their location. A ship or hotel has multiple levels. Go to the spot on the map only to discover you're on the wrong floor 🙂

Still better than nothing though. Similar issue in the parking garage at the airport. Followed tracker to car, but car wasn't there. I was two levels too low!

I need one then, I lost my car at a garage once.  It took me 10 minutes riding up and down the elevator looking for it. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Yes, but the iPhone detects when you're close to them, so it's not only going to the spot but see in the app if you're going in the right direction (the app shows an arrow pointing on the right direction).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, minniemouse427 said:

We have a Tile in all of our bags (suitcases, backpacks, and carry ons). We haven't needed to track anything yet, but it gives us peace of mind in case something goes missing.

FWIW, we all have Android phones so Airtags aren't useful.

We use Tile, also.  Got more coming in the mail today or tomorrow.  I believe in them.  If I was a parent of very young one's, I'd put one in their pockets or attached to shoe laces or somehow/someplace (not their backpack, I want to track them, not a bag).  We don't need them for the car, it has a great app that tells me just about everything going on with it, like doors unlocked, etc.  Baggage will definitely have a Tile in each.  I'm going to attach one to my drone as a back up to the factory GPS capabilities of the drone, you never know what breaks when it crashes.  We put the Credit Card looking Tiles in our wallets (my wife's purse).  There are a ton of uses for them.  Some people attach them to their pets collar.  

55 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Yes, but the iPhone detects when you're close to them, so it's not only going to the spot but see in the app if you're going in the right direction (the app shows an arrow pointing on the right direction).

Yes, if you have an  iPhone 11 or later you can do precision finding with the arrow. Earlier iPhones find but not with precision. In my experience Precision finding works very well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Just now, Ret MP said:
1 hour ago, carlosalonsor said:

Tile's (Mine is Android.  But, I believe they work with both iPhone and Android) have a "Strong"/"Weak" signal indicator.  Not sure how well it works, yet.  Don't know if it works well with multiple levels of a structures.  

I think the airtags work pretty good. I bought 4 for our checked bags when we went to Disney in November. Three are still in my daughter's bags at her house and every time I visit and then leave, I get a notice that the tags are at this location.

I have to get those back one of these days before my March cruise.

I just got 4 AirTags for my big trip next week.   
2 for checked bags.  1 for backpack.    1 for Patron🐾🐾

when not using them I’ll put one in the daily driver and one in the weekend car.   

it does show directions when your looking for the tag.    

100.00 is it worth it????   I guess.  

F009D4B2-A8C6-45CE-B6E6-A32FF0AE73C0.png

656F589C-EEA7-462E-A4A7-69C55257FAED.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMiz said:

Google Pixels are a Android base system 

The Samsung Smart Tag works on Pixels    

We didn't consider the Apple Air Tags. 

We also have Life360 which is integrated w/ the Tile system so it makes it super easy (and one fewer app on the phone!).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Yes, our missing bag was then floating down the Solent behind us… appearing to be in the NCL ship that was following at that exact distance !! 

We have never had a butler before onboard, and I'm not into 'stuffy', so I was hoping to prank him.  I told Ken if Rajeev stopped by our cabin, I was going to ask if he could explain why my bag was in the water.  😂

• Haha 1

We always travel with air tags in our luggage.

Our son flew from LAX to Japan. They left his bag in LAX. He contacted the airline and gave them information where his bag was, from his air tag. He received it less than 5 days later. They work!

I have them on my keys, and use those when we go on a trip. Just throw them in a pocket in my bags somewhere. Makes me feel better, because I always know where my stuff is. I need to get new batteries, so this reminded me of that too. Definitely worth it. It's helped me find my keys several times too hahah. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robmtx said:

The Samsung SmartTag+ apparently has AR capability so you can use your phone's camera and it will show you some kind of green glimmer where the smart tag+ is.  I just have the regular tag so I have no idea how well it works.

5 hours ago, 14Terry said:

We always travel with air tags in our luggage.

Our son flew from LAX to Japan. They left his bag in LAX. He contacted the airline and gave them information where his bag was, from his air tag. He received it less than 5 days later. They work!

A friend had a military move from one post to another. Their household belongings didn't arrive, and the contract mover kept prevaricating.  Their airtags located the boxes and they were able to get delivery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

A friend had a military move from one post to another. Their household belongings didn't arrive, and the contract mover kept prevaricating.  Their airtags located the boxes and they were able to get delivery.

Had to look this up, prevaricating. That's one expensive word.  🙂

• Haha 2