In room coffee making facilities

Goldeye

In Britannia, it's a kettle and sachets/sticks of instant coffee.

We take some artisan coffee bags as an alternative to standard Nescafe (full caffeine and decaf) sticks provided in Britannia.

In Grills it's Illy coffee pods

Edited by Lynnewob

5 hours ago, Goldeye said:

What exactly are the in room coffee facilities for the Britannia staterooms? Can you bring your own coffee to brew or is a limited pod type coffee maker?

There is no Coffee maker in the standard Britannia category only in 'Britannia Club'. You will have to rely on the kettle and bringing your own,  or use what is provided.   

So basically instant coffee would be all I could bring myself. Thanks again as this not clear in the Cunard brochures . Can I assumed there would be a charge for coffee brought by room service?

Edited by Goldeye
Additional query

14 minutes ago, Goldeye said:

So basically instant coffee would be all I could bring myself. Thanks again as this not clear in the Cunard brochures . Can I assumed there would be a charge for coffee brought by room service?

Room service coffee, in fact full room service breakfast, was free last time I cruised.

I have been using an instant coffee at home that I like a lot, there are a number of decent instant coffees in the market these days. Almost as good as brewed coffee. Better than what they are likely to provide in the stateroom.

However, at home when I don't want to make a full pot I just do a pour over.  I use an inexpensive plastic single cup Melita pour over.  I get very good coffee each time (use good ground coffee of course), better than the pods.

Except for rough sea days this should work fine in Britannia.  

• Like 2

I do have to smile at our American Cousins who go on & on   about their  Coffee when in Europe or when cruising.    If only you could 'brew Tea' as well as we Brits do.   lol 😉

I've recently stepped off a Silversea cruise , don't get me started on their service delivery of a simple pot of Tea. 

They offer a pot of warmish water with the Tea Bag 'On the Side'.  I had to leave an additional comment on the Breakfast Card each evening , to the effect of  "Tea Bag in the POT boiling water over the top '  😅 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I do have to smile at our American Cousins who go on & on   about their  Coffee when in Europe or when cruising.    If only you could 'brew Tea' as well as we Brits do.   lol 😉

I wish I could have tea, doctor says no.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I've recently stepped off a Silversea cruise , don't get me started on their service delivery of a simple pot of Tea. 

They offer a pot of warmish water with the Tea Bag 'On the Side'.  I had to leave an additional comment on the Breakfast Card each evening , to the effect of  "Tea Bag in the POT boiling water over the top '  😅 

I am pleased that Cunard supplies a kettle in all grades of cabins. Tea-pots are available on request. In Britannia and Britannia Club, room service would not supply a china tea-pot, but the ones they have sent are silver-plated which is good for keeping the tea hot.

Even before Carnival bought the Holland America Line we found it was impossible to get a decent cup of tea. It is worse now in that tea-pots are not readily available. On a recent HAL cruise, even in our Queens Grill sized suite there was only a coffee maker. The lounge for suite passengers had the only source of suitably hot water (hissing and sputtering from the spigot) on the ship, but alas no tea-pots. The way HAL serves the tea at afternoon tea would make a serious tea drinker laugh or weep. 

Always underwhelmed by coffee in the US, UK and much of Europe (bar Italy of course). I do enjoy a cappuccino in the morning but those in-suite machines don’t make the cut. Think I will stick to room service or the restaurant. 

Missing out on a decent coffee is a relatively small price to pay for the enjoyment of travelling outside Australia. 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:55 PM, Bell Boy said:

I do have to smile at our American Cousins who go on & on   about their  Coffee when in Europe or when cruising.

I was shocked whilst on a 6 night trip to Manhattan this July that it was so difficult to find a decent "Americano". Here on the French Riviera, in Italy and hundreds of small independent London cafes I can be assured of a quality Americano poured from a traditional commercial Italian machine. Most places I tried in New York were using automatic machines and seemed more interested in how big their cups were and how fast they could serve it.

It has to be pretty good to measure up against what comes out of these two!

IMG_20200503_124508114.jpg

We were happy with the accommodates in Princess Grill but also Britannia Club on the sailing before.

If we needed to add to the collection of items, we would bring them from the Kings Court.

I am even using the Hot Chocolate mix at home from now on we found online.

We are happy.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:16 AM, LB_NJ said:

Room service coffee, in fact full room service breakfast, was free last time I cruised.

I have been using an instant coffee at home that I like a lot, there are a number of decent instant coffees in the market these days. Almost as good as brewed coffee. Better than what they are likely to provide in the stateroom.

I found the room service coffee to be acceptable. Might have been made from a liquid concentrate? and not as good as what we brew at home, but a step up from instant, in my opinion.

Regular ol' American style coffee can also be drawn from the urns in the buffet as early as 5am* if you're willing to venture out before room service arrives.

* I didn't try earlier than that.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:20 AM, Goldeye said:

What exactly are the in room coffee facilities for the Britannia staterooms? Can you bring your own coffee to brew or is a limited pod type coffee maker?

My wife takes a French Press

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

And there is lots of choice of herbal tea bags at the Buffet if you want something different than the ones provided. 

On one of our longer World Cruise jaunts, Redbush tea or Rooibos as it was referred to by ''those who knew'' almost became a trading commodity in its own right due to its popularity and of more significance, its scarcity as supplies waned.  🙂

• Haha 1