What happened to Syd Norman’s Pourhouse?

MCMC100

Syd Norman’s no longer seems to exist.  On the Getaway it disappeared from my app and no longer appears in the Explore - Our Ships tab at NCL.com. I sail 1/20/23. No info from NCL regarding closure. 
On the Escape, the Pourhouse is still shown on the deck plans and referenced in the ship overview, but no longer listed as a bar when you dive in and research the specific  bars onboard. The marketing of Syd’s as an entertainment venue appears to have ended.
Prior comments from GA passengers indicate no music, just karaoke at night in Syd’s. Another poster has stated that he has some familiarity with a band member who had recently been playing Syd’s on the GA. Their  time onboard came to an unexpected end a few weeks ago.  
Anyone travel recently on a ship with Syd N’s and detect anything?  I’m wondering if a complete closure and rebranding of the venue is in the offing. I’m disappointed as the music in Syd's or the Cavern Club (same location different name on some ships) has always been a highlight. 

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, hallux said:

and it was definitely still on the Escape in March, contradicting the suspicion of the expired contract...

Contract dates likely differ from ship to ship. When the margaritaville relationship ended the conversion to American diner happened at different times on different ships. Syds to the cavern club would likely be a much easier conversion than the margaritaville changeover was. But if Cavern Club involves a license too they may not switch to that so they can save on licensing fees. 

Syds is alive and well.  This was an older post.  I think they paused for a week or two over the holidays.  It is a highlight for us and we only book ships with Syds now.  But it is true NCL doesn’t market it much.  It is already a packed house every night with people waiting in line.  If they marketed it more, it would just mean disappointed cruisers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 8:55 PM, Toronto_Cruisers said:

Well, I just booked my June 3rd cruise on the Getaway and Syd is still there as an option.

Hi there and hope you are enjoying your cruise.  Can you confirm if its still open and what the nightly entertainment has been on it ?  Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

I'm on the last day of a 10 day cruise on Breakaway and the Syd Norman band were fantastic. 4 musicians 3/4 singers, played 7 sets, 3 being the Rumours album. 

I went to all 5 different sets, yes it was busy but that's because they were so good. I was not alone in my appreciation, everyone there was equally enthusiastic. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I recently booked Getaway for next April and Syd's was a major draw for us.

It's a 10 day sailing and I'll try and see/hear every show.

I see the 2 negative reviews from June and I'm surprised.

Syd's, almost universally, gets solid to great reviews.

Syd Normans was great on our cruise. As for the negative reviews, there is always somebody who can manage to dislike anything. Ignore.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I almost cried when I saw this headline. I'm so glad they are still around!

I partied every night in the Pour House last year on the Breakaway to Canada/New England, and the band was AMAZING. I tried to stay for both shows every time I could. You def have to get there early and wait in line to get a seat. Not that I sat much, bc everyone was standing or dancing, but it was nice to have a chair for a small breather here and there. 

I am literally planning my next vacation around the availability of Syd Norman's venues!  🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, drraz said:

I partied every night in the Pour House last year on the Breakaway to Canada/New England, and the band was AMAZING. I tried to stay for both shows every time I could. You def have to get there early and wait in line to get a seat. Not that I sat much, bc everyone was standing or dancing, but it was nice to have a chair for a small breather here and there. 

I am literally planning my next vacation around the availability of Syd Norman's venues!  🤣

I only had a chair once on the Prima for Syd Norman, and I found I could not really sit. Music is supposed to make you move!

12 hours ago, drraz said:

As I stated in an earlier post, we chose Getaway for an April sailing, because the entertainment is different from our 4 previous sailings and for Syd's.

I have no problem waiting in line as either my daughter or wife will feed me drinks while I wait. Lmao!

Final payment is due soon and we expect to have a great time, as usual!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey!!! 

My name is Mike and I was part of the cast that was supposed to be there for the show.  

Little late to this response now that I just signed up but I can explain why there wasn't any Syd Norman's during that time frame. 

Our bassist unfortunately had to leave the band cause he was feeling homesick and it was short notice so we had to scramble to get the Christmas/New Years set arranged.  Just before the Christmas/New Year's cruise, the management team ultimately decided to let us go until we had a new bassist (honestly I'm still trying to wrap my head around that still haha).

We thankfully ended up getting our replacement and was brought back on for the rest of the time at Syd Norman's on January 8th which thankful continues to run today.  

We apologize that happened and it was just karaoke.  We hope if you do come back to the Getaway, you'll check out Syd Norman's Pourhouse :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

My last few cruises, the Syd Norman"s, or cavern club, had the best entertainment aboard, The Fleetwood Mack and Beatles shows were very good. The venue is too small and limits who can watch the show, and requires a ridiculous stand in line time, but the performers were very good. 

Thats our number 1 complaint is that the venue is too small.  Reason why is to get that dive bar feel for people who'll watch the show.  I think on the Getaway, it's gonna make more seats in it during dry dock in May

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BAM55 said:

Thats our number 1 complaint is that the venue is too small.  Reason why is to get that dive bar feel for people who'll watch the show.  I think on the Getaway, it's gonna make more seats in it during dry dock in May

See you on the April 7 Getaway!