wait, what, formal night is back?

Always seems to be a dress code, tipping, chair hog thread somewhere.  😉 

Simple fact is that indeed the dress code is now "suggested"...mostly as reason to be festive for people that like to dress up.  They used to enforce it years ago, and would not let the gentlemen in without a suit coat (which some would provide).  We used to always take tux, cocktail dress...now we don't (mostly to save room in the suitcase for our longer cruises).  Now we are dress slacks, dress shirt, and dressy blouse.  Which fits right in.  

The "formal nights" have gone the way of dressing up for a flight, going to a nice shoreside restaurant, etc....and don't even put that mental image in your head of how people dress to shop in Walmart.  😮

• Like 1

Just got off the symphony and they had a formal night and a dress to impress night. By all means, this was not mandatory. I did see most people did get dressed up, which was nice but a lot of people also did not. It's your vacation so you do what you want! it's just a suggestion. We did like that they had a theme night (70s night) and that was fun! I wish they did more of those fun theme nights. We saw so many funny costumes haha

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Just got off the symphony and they had a formal night and a dress to impress night. By all means, this was not mandatory. I did see most people did get dressed up, which was nice but a lot of people also did not. It's your vacation so you do what you want! it's just a suggestion. We did like that they had a theme night (70s night) and that was fun! I wish they did more of those fun theme nights. We saw so many funny costumes haha

Another one that seems to be on every cruise now is white night.   I finally bought a dressy white blouse...let the party begin.  😉 

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

Another one that seems to be on every cruise now is white night.   I finally bought a dressy white blouse...let the party begin.  😉 

Yes! we had that on the symphony as well, they had a white party at the solarium and it was so much fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Yes! we had that on the symphony as well, they had a white party at the solarium and it was so much fun!

Bucky happened to have a white shirt while on Serenade a couple of weeks ago...he was right in there.  Many pax were dressed in white.  Me...duh...didn't think about it, had nothing in white.  Have white blouse will travel now.  😉 

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How do you know before the cruise what the theme is?  

On the app it'll tell you the different themes for each night. We had a formal night, a best dressed night, a Caribbean night, a 70s theme night, a white outfit night and I think 2 casual nights...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nolegirl01 said:

On the app it'll tell you the different themes for each night. We had a formal night, a best dressed night, a Caribbean night, a 70s theme night, a white outfit night and I think 2 casual nights...

Is that after you get on ship?  How do I find out before we board?

5 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

My point was, we like to put on formal clothes on the ships, get our portraits done and then have a nice sit down dinner.  In our formal wear.  Period.  

We think the same thing. Only get dressed up on formal night, try to go to 3 or 4 of the picture venues, hit Vintages for a couple of Martinis and off to a 8:30 specialty dinner. happy cruising.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Not dressing nice for dinner on an otherwise casual vacation is not that bad.

Especially considering the MDR is more like a Applebees than a Ruth's Chris.

9 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Back when it was actually fun to see everyone dressed up and having a good time when manners and morals actually mattered instead of everyone just caring about themselves. 

Actually, that could be turned around on you. You expecting everyone to dress to your liking might be considered selfish and only caring about yourself.

If the host (Royal Caribbean International) allows it, then frankly it is none of anyone else's business. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Especially considering the MDR is more like a Applebees than a Ruth's Chris.

Actually, that could be turned around on you. You expecting everyone to dress to your liking might be considered selfish and only caring about yourself.

If the host (Royal Caribbean International) allows it, then frankly it is none of anyone else's business. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve eaten at Applebee’s and I’ve eaten in the MDR on Royal. Comparing the MDR on Royal to Applebee’s is absurd IMO.  Sure you can find examples like “they both serve steak and fish”, however  how many times do you see escargot on Applebee’s menu, or beef carpaccio, or scallops, or beef Wellington or lobster or white tablecloths with full serving ware.  And not just a server, but a head waiter and a assistant waiter…

of course, none of that really has anything to do with formal night or “dress codes”

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

9 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How do you know before the cruise what the theme is?  

On the app under dining, check out the main dining menu for that night.  You will get the theme there..

teddie

Edited by teddie

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I’ve eaten at Applebee’s and I’ve eaten in the MDR on Royal. Comparing the MDR on Royal to Applebee’s is absurd IMO.  Sure you can find examples like “they both serve steak and fish”, however  how many times do you see escargot on Applebee’s menu, or beef carpaccio, or scallops, or beef Wellington or lobster or white tablecloths with full serving ware.  And not just a server, but a head waiter and a assistant waiter…

of course, none of that really has anything to do with formal night or “dress codes”

Dan

Well the comparison that I made is not absurd, if you actually read what I said. I said it was more like an Applebees than it is a Ruth's Chris, I didn't say it was the same as Applebees... and I stick by that comparison, and do not need you to agree. I am okay with other opinions.

This past Thanksgiving we went to a Bob Evans (better diner than Denny's if you don't know what Bob Evans is.. but still a diner) and besides the tablecloths, we commented that this was no different than the MDR on RCI. Even though I love to cruise, and RCI is my current favorite, I am not going to kid myself regarding what they are, and what they are not. 

Also, this is related to dress codes, as there is no way I would dress for anything close to Applebees, and would of course dress for Ruth's Chris.

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well the comparison that I made is not absurd, if you actually read what I said. I said it was more like an Applebees than it is a Ruth's Chris, I didn't say it was the same as Applebees... and I stick by that comparison, and do not need you to agree. I am okay with other opinions.

This past Thanksgiving we went to a Bob Evans (better diner than Denny's if you don't know what Bob Evans is.. but still a diner) and besides the tablecloths, we commented that this was no different than the MDR on RCI. Even though I love to cruise, and RCI is my current favorite, I am not going to kid myself regarding what they are, and what they are not. 

Also, this is related to dress codes, as there is no way I would dress for anything close to Applebees, and would of course dress for Ruth's Chris.

Fair enough.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, island lady said:

I bought a white dress from Polo Ralph Lauren for a "white out" at my son's school's football event last August - literally just a polo shirt in dress style - but that's probably too casual for white night. When worlds collide...formal night and white night...

No more “formal” for us as far as ties, jackets, dresses go. Too much in luggage!!

More “smart casual” these days for sure, as for any restaurant at home.  Formal seems preferred if specific photos planned. Attire doesn’t determine your menu choices!  Just leave your beachwear in your stateroom at dinner time. 

13 hours ago, njsmom said:

I bought a white dress from Polo Ralph Lauren for a "white out" at my son's school's football event last August - literally just a polo shirt in dress style - but that's probably too casual for white night. When worlds collide...formal night and white night...

Anything goes for "white night".   Bucky wears a Columbia fishing shirt, I have a silky "boyfriend style" long sleeve.  I dress it up with a black bead necklace.  Simple!