New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

8 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I really really hate to say this...but after  reading all the posts...you seem to be on a mission...like a cute little puppy with a rag toy...mangle it till it's gone or someone takes it away.  All of us are responding with critiques, mostly negative..but it seems you are determined to keep this going with almost the same cynicism over and over.  I get you're upset, probably more than some of us, but give the posters, who may be able to still enjoy their cruise despite the cutbacks, some slack without coming down so hard on their opinion.  Mind you, the TP crack did elicit a smile...😉.

THIS 

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

if you don't want to read about the legitimate gripes and complaints of others, feel free to stop reading this thread.

Agree--100% 

However, You got me all wrong---

I do like reading about gripes and complaints---they don't even have to be " legitimate ", but, are " fun " to read.

However, the same old , same old on this subject ??

All I'm saying is ,Company policies change. Whether it's a Cruise Company or your local Deli --- they eliminate perks, change " Specials ",  increase prices, etc , so, it's up to the Consumer to pay or don't go/buy.

Example--- Our local Deli increased the price of their hot smoked meat sandwich/fries/dill pickle/diet coke "Special " by $ 2.00. 

LOL--- forget that one---it's not a good example-- because nobody complained.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

Agree--100% 

I do like reading about gripes and complaints---they don't even have to be " legitimate ", but, are " fun " to read.

All I'm saying is ,Company policies change. Whether it's a Cruise Company or your local Deli --- they eliminate perks, change " Specials ",  increase prices, etc , so, it's up to the Consumer to pay or don't go/buy.

Example--- Our local Deli increased the price of their hot smoked meat sandwich/fries/dill pickle/diet coke "Special " by $ 2.00. 

Maybe the OP is a frustrated OP ED writer and has found his/her place here on CC...😁

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, omeinv said:

Well, for all the complaining, I've been on a lot of cruises, and have seen the number of people that eat in the Ocean View for Dinner.  It doesn't make sense to have a set-up similar to what they do at lunch for the number off people there for dinner.  If food is consumed - even gluttonously - I'm all for it.  But food prepared, and then discarded because it's not eaten doesn't enhance anyone's cruise experience.  So "right-sizing" the offering makes sense both from an economic stand point, and from a sustainability stand point. 

I would argue, then, that they are going about preventing waste in the wrong manner.  If the goal is TRULY to cut back on food waste, then making catering pans full of lasagne and chicken parm and other cheap foods is not going to do it, but having multiple cook-to-order stations /will/ in fact, prevent food waste.

If the grill station is open, and they are only grilling to order, then there isn't a pan of already prepared meat sitting there with no one eating it - anything that isn't ordered goes back to the main fridge.  Ditto for the Asian stir-fry and Italian Pasta stations.  

Having a few cheaply-prepared items available in bulk doesn't prevent food waste.  My guess is that any explanation from the line that argues 'food waste' is disingenuous.  It's cost-cutting, pure and simple.  They should just come out and say it - 'we don't think you deserve the quality and choice you've previously received when you spend thousands of dollars on a holiday with us'.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Ah, but did they do so after you had already ordered and paid for it, and then said 'hey, by the way, we raised the price after you paid for yours, so you owe us an extra $2 or else give us the sandwich back and we're going to keep the money you've already paid as well?'

What would your response be in that scenario?  After all, it's only $2, right?  

Edited by Jobeth66
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Agree--100% 

It's NOT a good example as it isn't apples to apples.  A local deli sells your favorite sandwich for $10 and now increased the price to $15; if you don't see the value you have the option to NOT buy it

Many already have sailings booked and had certain dining expectations

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Ah, but did they do so after you had already ordered and paid for it, and then said 'hey, by the way, we raised the price after you paid for yours, so you owe us an extra $2 or else give us the sandwich back and we're going to keep the money you've already paid as well?'

What would your response be in that scenario?  After all, it's only $2, right?  

LOL--- Obviously, you don't know Benny. 

Let's just say it's a "no brainer"--- I'd mumble about it, then pay the extra $2 ---- otherwise --

" No extra slice of pickle for Pinboy-- and, make HIS sandwich smaller --- the SOB ".

Benny wouldn't last too long as a Maitre'D in Murano.

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would suspect that they have been getting a larger number of e-mails over the last couple of days than they had expected.  I would go ahead and send it and see what happens.  I just sent mine.

One more can be added.  Just sent it.  I was very respectful and rational.  Basically just expressed my disappointment, and cautioned about these types of changes that dilute the premium brand and value proposition.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jobeth66 said:

I would argue, then, that they are going about preventing waste in the wrong manner.  If the goal is TRULY to cut back on food waste, then making catering pans full of lasagne and chicken parm and other cheap foods is not going to do it, but having multiple cook-to-order stations /will/ in fact, prevent food waste.

I agree 100%.  I'm recently back from Virgin Voyages and was so impressed with their food operation.  No MDR and instead six distinct venues all included.  The food and service were fantastic.  Original.  Fresh.  Unique.  And delicious.  Also no traditional buffet.  Instead a large food hall with multiple kiosks of different cuisines.  You sit down.  There is a menu of all the kiosks and what is offered, and someone takes your order.  It's all punched into their hand held device.  Technology is heavily used on Virgin.  Everything is then delivered as it's prepared.  So fresh and very little waste, and no grubby paws digging through piles of food.  It was all so civilized as well.  Of course you need to have the staff to pull this off and Virgin does.  The only exceptions to this were the deserts and salad bar, in which you went up to the kiosk and a staff member prepared your selection and you walk away with it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eroller said:

I agree 100%.  I'm recently back from Virgin Voyages and was so impressed with their food operation.  No MDR and instead six distinct venues all included.  The food and service were fantastic.  Original.  Fresh.  Unique.  And delicious.  Also no traditional buffet.  Instead a large food hall with multiple kiosks of different cuisines.  You sit down.  There is a menu of all the kiosks and what is offered, and someone takes your order.  It's all punched into their hand held device.  Technology is heavily used on Virgin.  Everything is then delivered as it's prepared.  So fresh and very little waste, and no grubby paws digging through piles of food.  It was all so civilized as well.  Of course you need to have the staff to pull this off and Virgin does.  The only exceptions to this were the deserts and salad bar, in which you went up to the kiosk and a staff member prepared your selection and you walk away with it. 

Sir Richard is well known to NOT skimp.  Friends sailed them recently and loved everything about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Sir Richard is well known to NOT skimp.  Friends sailed them recently and loved everything about it.

I absolutely loved the experience, and I'm 56 years old.  It was so refreshing and alive!  Service was fantastic.  The crew loved working for Virgin and it showed.  The biggest surprise was the cuisine.  Absolutely fantastic.  On par with higher end foodie lines like Oceania.  I loved it so much I put down a deposit onboard for a future cruise which I never do.  The upfront cost of Virgin is higher, but you don't feel nickle & dimed or gouged at all while onboard.  While it seems every other line is cutting back and charging more for less, that doesn't seem to be the case with Virgin.  I felt the standard was very high.  Also no kids so the entertainment is very adult oriented, and the decks are not overrun with children.  Virgin is not trying to be all things to all people and I loved that. 

• Like 2

And I just received a call from the Executive Office in response to my email (and I did not put my booking number, Captain's Club number or phone number in my email,  which was sent from a different account than I use for my Celebrity bookings, so someone is taking the time to look customers up).

She was very cordial but also stressed that they are just following industry changes, wherein I explained that I understand, but they are making changes that are excessive compared with their competitors, and that the changes are not being communicated appropriately.  I found out about these changes on CC / social media - I never received any notification from X about these developments.  I also pointed out that the new fees are counter to what has been advertised, and amounts to a degrading of the product and the experience.  I also pointed out that the changes in Ocean View aren't going to prevent food waste, but that keeping the cook-to-order stations would do so.  I doubt that will go anywhere, but I made it a point.

I'm sure that customer feedback is being taken into consideration, we'll see if it makes any difference.

Keep making calls/sending emails.  They are listening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I'll add Virgin did a status match so I received some excellent perks, including a $95 bottle of Moet.  I've heard for 2023 they are changing that to a $100 OBC.  Even better! 

4 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

And I just received a call from the Executive Office in response to my email (and I did not put my booking number, Captain's Club number or phone number in my email,  which was sent from a different account than I use for my Celebrity bookings, so someone is taking the time to look customers up).

She was very cordial but also stressed that they are just following industry changes, wherein I explained that I understand, but they are making changes that are excessive compared with their competitors, and that the changes are not being communicated appropriately

I'm sure that customer feedback is being taken into consideration, we'll see if it makes any difference.

Keep making calls/sending emails.  They are listening.

It's impressive they called you.  That is a very positive sign.  At least they care enough to do that.  I do hate that they are using "industry changes" as an excuse.  Since when does any brand just want to follow the industry standard?  You want to stand out from the crowd, not blend in with it.  At least the good ones do. 

Edited by eroller

28 minutes ago, eroller said:

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

VV is known as having the best tasting food at sea, beating out ultra luxury lines according to many reviewers.  They also have a large selection and it's available far more often than other cruise lines.  If you're a foodie, VV is the line for you

58 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

VV is known as having the best tasting food at sea, beating out ultra luxury lines according to many reviewers.  They also have a large selection and it's available far more often than other cruise lines.  If you're a foodie, VV is the line for you

I'm not sure I would say it's the best cusine I've had at sea, but a top 5 for sure.  And #1 for originality. 

I've had pretty amazing meals on Oceania and Regent ... and yes on Celebrity back in the day when the M-Class ships had the Olympic, Ocean Liners, SS United States, and Normandie specialty restaurants.  Some of the best and most memorable meals I've enjoyed at sea were in those venues.  I was very sad to see them go, replaced by the generic Tuscan Grill. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eroller said:

I'm not sure I would say it's the best cusine I've had at sea, but a top 5 for sure.  And #1 for originality. 

I've had pretty amazing meals on Oceania and Regent ... and yes on Celebrity back in the day when the M-Class ships had the Olympic, Ocean Liners, SS United States, and Normandie specialty restaurants.  Some of the best and most memorable meals I've enjoyed at sea were in those venues.  I was very sad to see them go, replaced by the generic Tuscan Grill. 

Normandie was fantastic!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

No free lunch. Just get over it.  Going on any cruise is your choice.  If you don’t like the room service charge, don’t use room service.  If all these changes annoy you, stop complaining and don’t book X.   

Stop complaining & the cruise line will continue to levy more & more chargess & changes  .  This is the only real tool the  pax have in their tool bag , 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, eroller said:

Agree 

I sent an email to LLP yesterday as well and received a call back today. I expressed that while I understand the exponential rate increases post-Covid, the additional nickel and diming once onboard (i.e. new room service fee and second lobster charge combined with the noticeable cutbacks in OVC lunch, dinner and afternoon tea offerings) were not compatible with X's expected level of service. The person I spoke with listened and said that customer feedback was valued, recorded and considered. She didn't offer any excuses. We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I admire the fact that the lady in the exec office that makes these calls can read off her script without too much deviation and listen to aggrieved cruisers that she is powerless to make any meaningful change for.  Sounds like a miserable job to have honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, cruisingator2 said:

The new charge is higher than RCI unless RCI raises their RS charge which is currently $7.95 plus the 18% gratuity. The other thing that I don’t like is the smaller martini glasses on X. RCI had the standard glasses and we actually found that RCI had better cocktails and bars than we experienced on the Solstice. Again, RCI may make a change also but right now they haven’t. I know that the cruise lines need cash but there will be no going back once things are back to normal “if that happens”…

YES THIS!! I hate the new martini glasses.

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I admire the fact that the lady in the exec office that makes these calls can read off her script without too much deviation and listen to aggrieved cruisers that she is powerless to make any meaningful change for.  Sounds like a miserable job to have honestly. 

I was thinking that they've hired a psychology student and empathetically listening was her practice test.

(Not a joke - I really wonder if that's it. She knows she can't change anything but still has to make the caller feel "heard".)