Princess Vacation Protection?

Clampram

I cannot find a section about insurance on the website for Princess. I have a cruise booked in March nd did not yet purchase anything. because we are "platinum" with Princess, is it still true that we receive  "basic"  insurance (we haven't cruised in a while). 

Thanks

Edited by Clampram

16 minutes ago, Clampram said:

I cannot find a section about insurance on the website for Princess. I have a cruise booked in March nd did not yet purchase anything. because we are "platinum" with Princess, is it still true that we receive  "basic"  insurance (we haven't cruised in a while). 

Thanks

Platinum is automatically upgraded to the better protection plan, but only if you buy the less expensive plan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clampram said:

Thanks

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

• Like 1

Thanks for the above info.

I spent a good deal of time reviewing all of the insurance info. We will get the Platinum Protection, however, I was surprised that includes a cap of $20,000 per person for medical. The average one nite hospital stay costs north of $11,000. Although my private insurance will cover some of a charge, I may supplement with another insurance package that is only for medical.

Please take note that those of us on Medicare cannot count on it covering any medical issues if you are out of the country (you didn't state where your cruise was...)

Take a look at Geo Blue Trekker:

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm

This is annual coverage for multiple trips/cruises and has both medical and evacuation coverage worldwide.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

I spent a good deal of time reviewing all of the insurance info. We will get the Platinum Protection, however, I was surprised that includes a cap of $20,000 per person for medical. The average one nite hospital stay costs north of $11,000. Although my private insurance will cover some of a charge, I may supplement with another insurance package that is only for medical.

Same here. Last year we purchase additional medical insurance from the bank. 

Edited by DHP1

38 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Please take note that those of us on Medicare cannot count on it covering any medical issues if you are out of the country (you didn't state where your cruise was...)

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm

This is annual coverage for multiple trips/cruises and has both medical and evacuation coverage worldwide.

We found an insurance company in Canada that does the same as yours at “half the cost of Princess Insurance” and furthermore, its annual coverage for multiple trips/cruises. 

Edited by DHP1

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

We often buy the cruise line insurance, mainly for something like CFAR, like Princess has. However, as you pointed out, most medical, evacuation, trip delay, etc coverage with PVP is very poor. For that reason we always purchase insurance coverage from another company more appropriate to our needs (retired, 70+ couple).

Good point above about Medicare. If you are a USA citizen and you have TriCare or TriCare for life it's a bit different, compared to Medicare. Insurance is very complicated for us mortals. 😉

Doug

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

our supplemental (aarp - united healthcare) covered my medical expenses ($1,200) (non-covid) on REGAL in Grand Turk.  our AON covered the deductibles for follow-ups when we got back home

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

our supplemental (aarp - united healthcare) covered my medical expenses ($1,200) (non-covid) on REGAL in Grand Turk.  our AON covered the deductibles for follow-ups when we got back home

I'm always hearing about others who have needed their additional coverage.  Luckily (knock on wood) we have NOT needed to use ours...but I will never let it lapse!

• Like 1

On a few occasions (and very recently two weeks ago) we had to use Cancel for Any reason on the Princess insurance. So easy. Just wanted FCC instead of being refunded. Husband ill right now and was advised not to cruise (would have been this week). So easy. Our Travel consultant went on line and cancelled, told Insurance we only wanted  FCC. Aon said didn't even need to open a claim. AON notified Princess to just give us the FCC(we have the Platinum policy). FCC was in our account in four days and Princess credited our credit card for port taxes and other fees.

Another time we had a house flood right before a cruise, same efficient handling.So I am a big fan of Princess insurance. The medical part is fine  too. Our Medical at home does reimburse outside the country so all works  out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

On a few occasions (and very recently two weeks ago) we had to use Cancel for Any reason on the Princess insurance. So easy. Just wanted FCC instead of being refunded. Husband ill right now and was advised not to cruise (would have been this week). So easy. Our Travel consultant went on line and cancelled, told Insurance we only wanted  FCC. Aon said didn't even need to open a claim. AON notified Princess to just give us the FCC(we have the Platinum policy). FCC was in our account in four days and Princess credited our credit card for port taxes and other fees.

Another time we had a house flood right before a cruise, same efficient handling.So I am a big fan of Princess insurance. The medical part is fine  too. Our Medical at home does reimburse outside the country so all works  out.

Do you know if covid isolation on the ship, which FCC’s are requested can be done this way also?

TIA

5 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Hi Gloria

Hope Lou is better real soon.  Have a question about CFAR.  You took the FCC and it was quick.  What about if you want a refund.  Is it just as easy.  Never used it and son might not be able to go on Australian cruise in Nov.  He will have Princess Insurance and EZair flights.  Any tips??

21 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Did you by any chance have Princess' EZ-Air or whatever they call it? Where you book flights right at Princess.com? I have used Princess' CFAR PVP before also, and the process is easy, but I can't remember is their insurance also covers the air part. I seem to recall reading somewhere air is NOT covered under CFAR.

I am considering canceling a March 2023 cruise, and this is the first time I've considered cancellation when I've booked air through them.

Doug

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Asked my TA last week about EZair and she said EZair  cancellation would be covered under PVP when you cancelled the cruise and air.  . Air booked directly with Delta, etc would not be covered.  Should ask your TA or whoever you booked through.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Does Princess Protection plan cover air?

Thank you.

It does in the context of having a travel delay. For example, a year ago my flight home from FLL (booked direct with SW) was cancelled and no flights available for 2 days. Princess Vacation Protection  reimbursed for hotel,  taxis, food for that time. I rebooked on SW so there was no incremental airfare.   For a flat out cancellation of your cruise, I would think it would not be covered 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thanks for posting that link. The company I've been working with doesn't offer annual travel insurance, so I've been buying per trip. These plans seem very reasonable for peace of mind medical coverage.

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

Asked my TA last week about EZair and she said EZair  cancellation would be covered under PVP when you cancelled the cruise and air.  . Air booked directly with Delta, etc would not be covered.  Should ask your TA or whoever you booked through.

So only covered if book EZair.  Then if not through EZair, then need to buy separate insurance for the air.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

It does in the context of having a travel delay. For example, a year ago my flight home from FLL (booked direct with SW) was cancelled and no flights available for 2 days. Princess Vacation Protection  reimbursed for hotel,  taxis, food for that time. I rebooked on SW so there was no incremental airfare.   For a flat out cancellation of your cruise, I would think it would not be covered 

So it is similar to outside insurance, which covers travel delay, trip interruption, baggage delay, baggage lost, etc.?

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

So it is similar to outside insurance, which covers travel delay, trip interruption, baggage delay, baggage lost, etc.?

Similar but you would have to read the details.  I usually buy private insurance, but this was a last minute trip at a low price, so just used the Princess insurance. And of course it was the first time ever I had to make a claim!

On 1/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

We often buy the cruise line insurance, mainly for something like CFAR, like Princess has. However, as you pointed out, most medical, evacuation, trip delay, etc coverage with PVP is very poor. For that reason we always purchase insurance coverage from another company more appropriate to our needs (retired, 70+ couple).

Good point above about Medicare. If you are a USA citizen and you have TriCare or TriCare for life it's a bit different, compared to Medicare. Insurance is very complicated for us mortals. 😉

Doug

What is different if you have Tricare for Life? Having filed several claims, if Medicare rejects then Tricare doesn't even bother to review .  If you have had a different experience I would be interested in hearing about it.