New MDR menus yet?

47 minutes ago, poocher said:

My brother has had his first cruise pushed back twice (covid & bad weather).  I’ve been hyping it for 2 years now.  Hope the experience doesn’t disappoint!!

On my May 2022, Ovation, Alaska, it was my old Army buddy's and his wife's first RCCL cruise and Star at that.  Man, I wanted  it to be very very special for them.  They both have served their country and true patriots.  Because of COVID, the cruise was lacking in many venues being closed and/or cut back/didn't have all the offerings (olives, cocktail stirrers, condiments, et al) and we went through 3 genies.  I thought RCCL really let me down but more importantly, let my buddy and his wife down.  They were hard to read as to how they really felt about the cruise.  They really didn't have any past RCCL cruise(s) to judge that cruise against. But, they did say it was miles above Rustbucket Cruise Lines.  Really, all they spoke positively about was the lack of waiting in lines at venues and leaving the ship at Ports of Call and the main entrée in the Specialty Restaurants.  

Well, I'll be damned, him and his wife are currently looking for a Star Class cruise for March or April 2023.  AND they are booked with us on our Jan 24, Harmony out of Galveston.  I guess they were impressed enough to go again two more times, at least.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people are concerned about the lack of classics on the new menus.

I had a look at the 7th January Wonder sailing on the app which seems to have the new menus (which incidentally from a personal point of view imreally like the look of - a number of new dishes and to me a nice variety each night).

The kids menus displayed for each night always have grilled chicken breast , steak and spaghetti bolognese.

Is there anything to prevent an adult guest ordering off the kids menus and asking for a bigger or extra portions? If not then those particular "classics" are available every night,

I also so warm apple pie and ice cream on the kids menu desserts each night I think.

Food for thought?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Shank portion with bone in. 

Braised over a long period of time in a broth of vegetables and seasoning until fall off the bone tender. It is not like a steak but cooked with the bone and very, very flavorful.

Yup, thanks.   I know what it is....but have never tried it in Giovanni's yet.  May do that tonight.  🙂 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

I know a lot of people are concerned about the lack of classics on the new menus.

I had a look at the 7th January Wonder sailing on the app which seems to have the new menus (which incidentally from a personal point of view imreally like the look of - a number of new dishes and to me a nice variety each night).

The kids menus displayed for each night always have grilled chicken breast , steak and spaghetti bolognese.

Is there anything to prevent an adult guest ordering off the kids menus and asking for a bigger or extra portions? If not then those particular "classics" are available every night,

I also so warm apple pie and ice cream on the kids menu desserts each night I think.

Food for thought?

I ordered numerous times from the Children's menu on our last Quantum B2B.  I did not ask for larger portions as I found the portions adequate.  

If you like the warm apple pie and ice cream is good, try the banana split!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:42 PM, jencruzin said:

Apparently there are SIX different MDR menus. The others represent French, Italian, American, Caribbean, Mexican, nights. This is the 6th one, perhaps?

Capture.JPG

The new menus remind me of when I first started cruising. Every night was a theme night, French, Italian, Caribbean, Captain’s dinner, etc. I may be one of few who is looking forward to the new menus. 

• Like 2

I will hold judgement until I not only see....but taste...the new menu.  😉 

The only real thing I worried about...is losing those classics off the menu.   After all....some of us are classics and would prefer to stick around a bit longer.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegascruiser1 said:

The new menus remind me of when I first started cruising. Every night was a theme night, French, Italian, Caribbean, Captain’s dinner, etc. I may be one of few who is looking forward to the new menus. 

Visalia onion tart…. When we started cruising with RCI 20 years ago it was on the menu and I probably had it for 20-30 sailings and the. It went away, but reappeared some time ago so I guess what goes around etc…. The menus were very themed back then with the welcome aboard, the C&A, the Italian, the captains etc. At one point they even looked different depending if the day. Happy cruising anyone, with or without the new menus.

• Like 3

Thing is, we keep seeing such different things.  Looking at this menu, I see three appetizers I'd like to try ... three entrees I'd like ... and three desserts that look good to me.  Yet we saw a different menu (with some of these same things) on it just a day or two ago, and nothing on that list looked good. 

On 1/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, davekathy said:

I ate untoasted Pop-Tarts a lot in the morning at work for breakfast. When I retired I was given a toaster. 😂

On 1/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, island lady said:

Was it gold plated?  😄 😄 

It may have been gold plated but I understand he recoated it with SAFTRAX.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

On symphony 2 weeks ago I was still able to get spaghetti bolognese that was a classic on the former menus because it is offered on the kids menu so it is available. 

Just the very point i was making a few posts ago.

Chicken and steak are also on the kids menu every day so essentially those classics are retained, and in combination with a number of new dishes introduced I think(assuming the quality is good and consistent ) they have done a good job with these menus. I looked at the MDR menus for another cruise line I was contemplating booking and the menus were boring to say the least . Basically the exact same menu each night with only one or 2 dishes changing. Kind of put me off.

2 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Chicken and steak are also on the kids menu every day so essentially those classics are retained, and in combination with a number of new dishes introduced I think(assuming the quality is good and consistent ) they have done a good job with these menus. I looked at the MDR menus for another cruise line I was contemplating booking and the menus were boring to say the least . Basically the exact same menu each night with only one or 2 dishes changing. Kind of put me off.

Maybe to satisfy those opposed to the new menu, the waiter should hand out both the adult and kid's menu at the same time.   🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Boarding Grandeur today; menus were not showing in the app until last night…they’ll be serving the old menu, exactly the same as Jewel back in October. “One last chance” to have the old menu, though I am not worried about the changes to come. 

Edited by goldfish65

23 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Boarding Grandeur today; menus were not showing in the app until last night…they’ll be serving the old menu, exactly the same as Jewel back in October. “One last chance” to have the old menu, though I am not worried about the changes to come. 

Please report back with which menu you were actually served.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Chicken and steak are also on the kids menu every day ken and so essentially those classics are retained, and in combination with a number of new dishes introduced I think(assuming the quality is good and consistent ) they have done a good job with these menus. I looked at the MDR menus for another cruise line I was contemplating booking and the menus were boring to say the least . Basically the exact same menu each night with only one or 2 dishes changing. Kind of put me off.

Steak is on the kids menu?  All I ever see on any RCI ship is hamburger, chicken fingers, grill cheese, mac and cheese, and spaghetti.  

Edited by island lady

Follow up report.  

Giovanni's dinner (same menu as always).   Bucky's filet was wonderful, my Ossobuco was tender, tasty...yums!  🙂   But my real favorite is the appetizer Tonno Crudo (thin sliced sushi grade tuna with citrus sauce)..

• Like 1

As long as the new menu has French Onion Soup and Shrimp Cocktail on it every night, I'll be happy.  I can make due with the other selections as long as they have beef available.  Hell, I can make a meal out of just the soup and cocktail.  However, we usually only eat in the MDR once per cruise anyway.  So, the MDR really isn't much of an issue for us anyway.  -

On our last cruise, Independence, Oct/Nov 2022, we didn't care for the MDR at all.  So, we only eat there once.  Pre-cruise we selected the early dining time and I also requested a table for two.  I fully understand that there are no guarantees as to table assignment.  But, they stuck us seated at a table for 8.  That's far from two. I talked to the Maitra d and he said he had a very nice table for two at a window but it was available only at the 8:00 PM seating.  We accepted and the table was for two and it was at a window but it was next to impossible to move between it and the tables next to it.  Hell, we might as well have been seated at the same table with the people next to us, both sides.   

No matter what our experience, good or bad, with the MDR in the past, we will almost always give it a try, at least once per cruise.  Really depends on specialty restaurant availability (not an issue when going Star) and activities.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As long as the new menu has French Onion Soup and Shrimp Cocktail on it every night, I'll be happy.  I can make due with the other selections as long as they have beef available.  Hell, I can make a meal out of just the soup and cocktail.  However, we usually only eat in the MDR once per cruise anyway.  So, the MDR really isn't much of an issue for us anyway.  -

On our last cruise, Independence, Oct/Nov 2022, we didn't care for the MDR at all.  So, we only eat there once.  Pre-cruise we selected the early dining time and I also requested a table for two.  I fully understand that there are no guarantees as to table assignment.  But, they stuck us seated at a table for 8.  That's far from two. I talked to the Maitra d and he said he had a very nice table for two at a window but it was available only at the 8:00 PM seating.  We accepted and the table was for two and it was at a window but it was next to impossible to move between it and the tables next to it.  Hell, we might as well have been seated at the same table with the people next to us, both sides.   

No matter what our experience, good or bad, with the MDR in the past, we will almost always give it a try, at least once per cruise.  Really depends on specialty restaurant availability (not an issue when going Star) and activities.  

I always email and request a table for one prior to sailing and have always gotten confirmation in writing a few days after the request  On the Mariner and Indy I have a certain couple of table numbers that I ask for

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I always email and request a table for one prior to sailing and have always gotten confirmation in writing a few days after the request  On the Mariner and Indy I have a certain couple of table numbers that I ask for

LOL.  Sounds like a plan.

However, as of now, I have never cruised on the same ship twice, on RCCL or Rustbucket.  So, I don't know what table, by number, is good or bad.  I'm still working may way through the Quantum and Oasis class ships.  I did one none Quantum and Oasis but I don't think I'll do that again (the Independence, it was a need, a desire, a must do, to cruise, having withdrawals, in the fetal position flopping like a fish, any ship in the port type situation LOL).  I really really prefer Oasis Class, though. 

Oh, I really can't pinpoint any one thing that makes me not want to cruise on Independence again.  I just know I really like Oasis Class better.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1