World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

14 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you so much for your detailed information!!

Our itinerary shows overnight in Papeete, no Moorea.  We booked private excursion for the 1st day, but only from 9 a.m. -  2 p.m.  We were thinking maybe after the excursion, we will return to the ship for a short break, then leave the ship again to check out the Papeete Market.  Then the next day take a ferry to Moorea.  Since you mentioned there is no vendors by the ferry terminal (Moorea side), then maybe we will just don't bother to go to Moorea.  Maybe after the 1st excursion, just return to the ship and rest.  Then the next day go check out the market and nearby streets.  Our ship will leave at 5 p.m. the next day.

Moorea is very beautiful.  At the onboard lecture we were encouraged to "get out on the water."  Are you interested in snorkeling or a boat trip?

Perhaps with the timing you described you might consider re-scheduling the private tour you have already booked to the next, shorter day instead of that first day?

Then you would have the entire first day to travel to Moorea and spend most of the day there.

When I look at tripadvisor and viator there are tours that will pick you up at the ferry dock.  The tour we booked offers that option although that is not what we did.  You can even reserve most in advance with no payment due until a day or so before the tour.  With that option you can also directly communicate with the tour vendor via your email confirmation or the app.

Just an idea ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Moorea is very beautiful.  At the onboard lecture we were encouraged to "get out on the water."  Are you interested in snorkeling or a boat trip?

Perhaps with the timing you described you might consider re-scheduling the private tour you have already booked to the next, shorter day instead of that first day?

Then you would have the entire first day to travel to Moorea and spend most of the day there.

When I look at tripadvisor and viator there are tours that will pick you up at the ferry dock.  The tour we booked offers that option although that is not what we did.  You can even reserve most in advance with no payment due until a day or so before the tour.  With that option you can also directly communicate with the tour vendor via your email confirmation or the app.

Just an idea ...

Thank you for the suggestions.

We are not interested in snorkeling or boat trip, but are interested in sightseeing.  

My original plan was to book the private tour on the 2nd day, and do Moorea on the 1st day.  I did use Viator, but the East Coast tour we are interested in was sold out on the 2nd day (I waited too long to decide on that tour and when I was ready to book, it was sold out), so we booked the 1st day.

I did see some Moorea tours that we are interested in, but since the tour meeting point is on the Moorea side, and I am not certain if for sure we will be able to take the ferry and meet the tour at the destinated time, so I didn't want to pre-book the Moorea tour.  Which was the reason I asked if there are tour vendors by the Moorea ferry pier so we can join after we get to the Moorea side. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:10 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Moorea Part Two

Overnight our ship has traveled from Papeete to Moorea.  Although the ferry took about 40 minutes, the cruise ship took four hours. 

It must be the slow boat to Moorea.

Today is actually our first tender port, and we must use the water shuttles.  As we have an early excursion booked we patiently wait at the Crooners Lounge and are rewarded with a ticket for Tender 1.  But, here is the catch.  The Elite pax are waiting in a different lounge and they have priority tender service.  Fortunately it is not a long wait for us to be called and we get to shore in 15 minutes

Now, I must admit for being a little miffed about our planned excursion.  We booked it months ago as it was highly rated on a trip advising site.  Only a few days ago the vendor advised us it was cancelled as they were undergoing a mandatory inspection and repairs.  By that time of course all of the shipboard excursions were  sold out.  I contacted the vendor and asked if they had any suggestions.  At the last minute they notified me that everything was now good and we could re-book.  Okdk.

Despite the initial drama we have to say that this was our best private excursion so far and ranks among the best ever.

We boarded the catamaran which was docked nearby.  This vessel holds eight passengers and we were joined by only two other couples.  One couple was from our ship, the other from New Zealand vacationing in Moorea. 

The 4+ hour excursion was absolutely amazing.  We had a crew of three including a naturalist/guide (trained as an oceanographer) and a captain.   They were all young and very helpful and personable.

That morning we visited three different snorkeling spots.  At the first we swam with many blacktip reef sharks and rays.  The second stop was at a coral reef teeming with colorful fish.  And the third was the site of sunken Polynesian relics (replicas) along the sea floor.  We spent 30-40 minutes at each site. Darn!  my GoPro camera housing sprang a leak so my underwater pix were limited.

At each site we were given an educational lecture by the guide.  Nature, history and geography were covered.  The crew made sure all were comfortable in the snorkeling gear and stayed with us in the water.  The guide would point out different things to view.  When the current once pushed one of our party away from the boat the guide swam back with him.  Okay, it was me!

On the catamaran (which had covered and uncovered areas) we were offered water, fruit juices, a platter of fresh fruit and on the way home complimentary mai tais. 

The weather was on our side today with mostly sunny skies and occasional clouds.  The ride was smooth with a nice breeze ruffling what little hair I have left. 

The views of the surrounding mountains, and the Island Princess in the harbor were striking.

After reaching land we waited on a long line for a return tender.  The line ran through the covered artisan market, so definitely to the advantage of the sellers.  They had a captive audience!  Each booth offered pearls, clothing, handmade items and more pearls.  We did our part and helped support the local economy.

A lovely day on the water in Moorea, French Polynesia.

01.thumb.jpg.e5b8f03acac017e9ddcb2fdbd4f345fa.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.d395f2c3c0c145919b7da5b5239d93bc.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1ed20947d28ae52033dfae1686689ab4.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d6d0f5ff530ba3717ae0af6fe722bb91.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.97d4fe1c7f7370544437a456c2453c2f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.4f2aee4b7da87ec65c8aa114d8cc391d.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.d35b646dc2fa77c45b6d2dbc4849045e.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.6195e099c8c30a804f79b3633a716dd0.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.eaee3cf56568698db305d8fc82c3c371.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.8b1ebd102e2b269d2f1a9839335e05ea.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.ae29d4c6e6f5ee5b2a7113e6326740b8.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.4371e8906b5290a7fde9b2455342c45b.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.9cd4454273c65cbeb496a45f221aaed2.jpg

14backlite.thumb.jpg.4e6bf22be6a76198e067f151530a2596.jpg

Very nice pictures.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

Pago, Pago American Samoa

How do you pronounce Pago, Pago?

Well, you might think – duh – Pay-go, Pay-go. 

But, you would be wrong my friend. 

Natives pronounce it like the word “bongo” but substitute a “p” for the “b”, so “Pongo-Pongo”.  Or so we were informed by the local people.

Pago, Pago, the capital of American Samoa, a US territory, is in the Pacific Ocean over 2500 miles south of Hawaii .  It is up there with one of the wettest places on earth as we were about to find out.  It was an important naval base during WWII and was the site of numerous Apollo space mission landings.  The English author W. Somerset Maugham’s short story “Rain” introduced the general public to Pago Pago. 

A large contingent of locals greets us and welcomes us warmly to their home.  Dancing and music and amplified messages encourage all to take local tours and shop.  We are only the second ship to visit since the pandemic shutdown.  Passengers line the promenade deck to watch the show and cheer as we wait for clearance from the local officials.

Hundreds and hundreds of shipping containers line the industrial port of this natural deep-water harbor. 

We note the dark clouds over the aptly named “Rainmaker Mountain” but head out with optimism and umbrellas.

Today we have a walking tour from Frommers.  Walking north in Fagotago, the downtown area, we pass the Jean P. Haydon Museum, formerly the commissary of the US Navy.  The museum is open Mon-Fri and this is a Saturday.  We stop to visit the produce and fish markets and Fagotago Plaza shopping center as well as the Judicial Building and Sadie Thompson Inn on the way to The National Park.  The visitor center surprisingly is open on Saturday.  We were told it would also be closed on the weekend.  There is a small informative museum and restrooms.

We continue onward past the visitor center to the National Park and the cloudy skies we had all morning now spit down on us.  It is a steep access to the park which does not sound like fun in the rain.  So, we head back to the ship and visit a few more indoor shops along the way. 

We grab a quick lunch and afterward confirm the rain has stopped, at least for the moment. 

This time we head south to Blunts Point Trail. Blunts Point overlooks Pago Pago harbor, so there should be some nice views if the weather cooperates.  Utelei Beach Park is on the way and we see some passengers and crew getting wet, but certainly not getting a tan. We also pass Sadie’s by the Sea hotel and the Government House across the street.

The skies are still threatening and guess what - the rain commences once again as we reach the Blunts Point trail.

It looks like this is not our day for a hike!

Of course as the ship leaves the harbor the sun comes out again.

1.thumb.jpg.2c6603d9144f65cc8ed49493b047d532.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.8260380efe2f80970eba11881eee2e57.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.e399ba7b81531a98ab06fc8fb25c8e78.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.89ac08c3991d6803740f1e0a67d00f49.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.39cf9b11738cb91a2988cde7548ea18c.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.043d15ba0a3d3debf19647ef0b0e0725.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.71ce76da767ceb360044436e89a943b2.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.33fdf8c7c548f8ac6d3a41b05747ffa0.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.ddfc8915633c48cf66be482f212b59fa.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.60e5f6896a418e4d4ccfeb345fc2504e.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.c46e6a2ca23c610b1c309014ff04bbcb.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.046563701e2d71c0d849b7db5484ad50.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.1bcb38b5c562397408d80b32f49e4a90.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.1e7b99e5ba9a305d288f7273fd7d9ec9.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.ce52a64ea07a07fba06f806fcdd7d89a.jpg

18.thumb.jpg.75698175b43d38b61a56502c9e584fe3.jpg

19.thumb.jpg.08f53ef243e267582d4a5272e0387876.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 7

Crossing the International Date Line

Last night when I went to bed it was February 6, 2023. 

This morning when I woke up it was February 8, 2023.

How odd to think that every person on the Island Princess will never experience February 7, 2023.

I feel like the abbreviated version of Rip Van Winkle !

The IDL is an imaginary line (I checked and it was definitely not anywhere on the ocean surface) that runs from the North Pole to the South Pole.  It is halfway across the globe from the prime meridian which is located at 0 degrees longitude at Greenwich, UK. and divides the eastern and western hemispheres. (It is not strictly a straight line so as not to divide land masses).  Traveling westward, as we were, the calendar is set forward one day. 

Interestingly, the ship made a big deal about crossing the equator.

But, crossing the International Date Line?

That day is “omitted” !

Perhaps they do not want passengers complaining they paid for a day they did not get ???

🙂

1IDL.thumb.jpg.5e724130dd1bb59b8cfadaaa5e803108.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.4473604216a24ba44f8c62b7c3e3d903.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I do hope you observed the subtle differences between the Hawaiian Hula and the Samoan dances.  Each Polynesian Island has their own version of the "hula"/native dance.

Never once considered that by transiting the Pacific from East to West that you really "lost" a day.  By plane, you get it back..hmmmmm. What a story to tell your grandkids.

Looking at your globe, yes, the Hawaiian Islands are the remotest place on this Earth.  Although American Samoa is 2500 miles away from Hawaii/land, you have land on the other side that is closer.  How did they ever find the Hawaiian Islands?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Crossing the International Date Line

Last night when I went to bed it was February 6, 2023. 

This morning when I woke up it was February 8, 2023.

How odd to think that every person on the Island Princess will never experience February 7, 2023.

Traveling westward, as we were, the calendar is set forward one day. 

Interestingly, the ship made a big deal about crossing the equator.

But, crossing the International Date Line?

That day is “omitted” !

Perhaps they do not want passengers complaining they paid for a day they did not get ???

And if you were cruising west to east, you would have the same date twice after crossing the date line. Go to sleep in the evening if it is Wednesday, you will wake up in the morning to it being Wednesday again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice to see you made it in to Pago Pago. That port  was cancelled on our transpacific in October which was a shame if only to break up the sea days.  Really enjoying your commentary   Thank you for doing so 

Terry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the 28 day r/t from LA to the South Pacific so we crossed it 2x.  We met a guy in the Horizon Court at lunch who was a local that was invited onboard for lunch.  I don't remember if it was Samoa or American Samoa but if you fly from one to the other you arrive the day before you left!

• Thanks 1

This might sound trivial but, do they have Splenda on the ship? (dining room, Horizon Court, etc).  When we were on the Caribbean Princess in 2022, they did not.  I cannot use regular sugar.  Do not like Equal or Sweet n' Low (nasty aftertaste - to me)  When we stopped in San Juan, I had to buy a box of Splenda and keep some with me.

Are the soda dispensers working in the bars?  Also on the Caribbean last year, the soda dispensers in the bars were not working (yes, in all of the bars), so they had to use cans, but not until the 2nd to last day of the 7 day cruise.  We were on the next 7 day (B2B) and they had to use cans for the entire 7 days.

Hopefully the plumbing is working properly on the Island.  They were not on the Caribbean.  Apparently people were flushing things down the toilets that they should not be.  Several announcements were made on the P.A. System of items that they have found in the tanks below.  Underwear, apple cores, false teeth, face masks.  The toilet in our cabin worked, but the cabin next door did not.  They had to use a public restroom during the night.

Princess Harmony Choir

Wow!

Passengers were entertained this afternoon with a wonderful performance by the Princess Harmony Choir under the direction of David Crathorne.

The professionally dressed members (white tops and dark trousers) walked down the aisle of the Princess Theater and assembled on stage – all 138 of them!  In fact this choir was so large that the performance could not be held in the Piazza.

We were entertained for 45 minutes with songs from musicals such as South Pacific, Phantom of the Opera and The Sound of Music.  Other pieces included “The Rose” and “Somewhere Out There”.  Even Elvis was represented!

The choir had lovely harmonies and after a standing ovation from the audience even returned for a final song.

We participated in the Princess Pop Choir a few years ago on a TA under the direction of CD Angela and that was fun.

But this was on another level entirely.

Congratulations to the Princess Harmony Choir and thank you for a wonderful show!

1.thumb.jpg.f95cc9c3543aa137697daeffbc180fa4.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.5147dc473844a70f08e58b8159d28209.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.eafcaa5541665412411c639598a25ed7.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.85912e390c4ef9e3e37b483a368d83c8.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.62b0c740c82ae16b95eaaee2992fb31b.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.2f4c4cd0a6f54987f65f6d9be486cf0e.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

Hopefully the plumbing is working properly on the Island.  They were not on the Caribbean.  Apparently people were flushing things down the toilets that they should not be.  Several announcements were made on the P.A. System of items that they have found in the tanks below.  Underwear, apple cores, false teeth, face masks.  The toilet in our cabin worked, but the cabin next door did not.  They had to use a public restroom during the night.

That is so unbelievable, yet doesn't surprise me.  What are people thinking?  Would they really do the same at home?

I have never heard of the Princess Harmony Choir.  Are these passengers?  I'm sure it was a nice diversion for entertainment.  "Somewhere Out There" is a beautiful song from "An American Tale".  Such a lost musical piece.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=somewhere+out+there&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:23ca997e,vid:Smc5FHbZtG4

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

David Crathorne is a treasure. He always does the choir on the WCs. 

My favorite international date line story:  on our first transpacific from LA to Sydney we had an Australian couple on board. Their first grandson was born the day we skipped. The cruise director, in his Wake Show, made a point of announcing that they had lost a day…and gained a grandson. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Counting all the passengers and crew, odds are around 8 people missed having a birthday (similar to what those born on Feb 29 regularly exp.) and some may have missed their anniversary.

I remember a thread a few years ago a coupe was to have a big family party for a 50th anniversary and their wedding date match the day missed  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I have never heard of the Princess Harmony Choir.  Are these passengers?  I'm sure it was a nice diversion for entertainment.  "Somewhere Out There" is a beautiful song from "An American Tale". 

Yes, all passengers.  They get together at scheduled times during sea days to rehearse.  I believe the choir is only on longer voyages and TA cruises.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:27 AM, Denali2003 said:

This might sound trivial but, do they have Splenda on the ship? (dining room, Horizon Court, etc). 

Are the soda dispensers working in the bars?  A

Hopefully the plumbing is working properly on the Island. 

Splenda available everywhere, but you might have to ask for it.  

Sugar is on the tables on Horizon Court.

Soda dispensers working fine at every bar we have been to.  Okay, all of them.  🙂

Plumbing is working fine.  We have had zero issues.

1.thumb.jpg.b87d45e37d30bcb6310aebe4255a9ba8.jpg

• Thanks 1

Princess Harmony Choir 2

I have been lazy and leave my DSLR at home being generally satisfied with my cell phone pix.

Also, due to time restraints, I just post those pix with no retouching or processing.

But I did not like how the choir pictures looked online with that stage lighting.

I hope this one looks a little better!

1533854104_choirfixed.thumb.jpg.07113f50b669468449ea5d47e4214399.jpg

e
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, gottagocit said:

I haven’t seen any reports in quite a while indicating whether plastic straws are back or are the paper ones still the only ones available onboard. Can you shed light on this?

We have seen only paper straws in some of the elaborate cocktails that DW orders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Itinerary change

Cyclone Gabrielle is headed towards New Zealand, so Captain Rikard Lorentzen announced last night that unfortunately there will be some changes to our itinerary.  Our upcoming New Zealand ports of Picton, Wellington and New Plymouth have all been cancelled.  We will have a few sea days before heading to the newly added substitute port of Melbourne, Australia

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry to hear about New Zealand.  I would much prefer visiting there than Australia.  Stay safe.  I am guessing all of you are "just along for the ride".

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=just+along+for+the+ride+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:762bbd36,vid:rer1GbyPivw

• Thanks 1

Bay of Islands, New Zealand

The tender drops us off at the Waitangi Wharf and we are greeted by visitor ambassadors.  Unlike most of the other ports where we are told “it is too far” or “take a cab” our query about walking into town is greeted with great enthusiasm.  There is a free shuttle bus available, but we follow the directions for the 20 minute walk into Paihia. 

Along the way we visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, the historic site of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi between the British and the Maori, a founding document for the country. 

In Paihia we purchase tickets for the small ferry to Russell, New Zealand’s first seaport and first capital.  I sit adjacent to the friendly captain, but am a little disconcerted by the reminder on the windshield to repair the water pump! 

Russell is a lovely town for strolling and, feeling ambitious, we hike up Flagstaff Hill for views of the Bay of Islands.  The hike starts easy enough along the road, passing lovely homes, but then leads to many steps upward and finally a rocky dirt path, so we certainly got our daily exercise.

Back in town we browse the shops on The Strand and peruse the Duke of Marlborough restaurant menu – New Zealand’s first licensed establishment.  It is a little early for lunch so we continue onward.  Although Russell was nicknamed “Hell Hole of the Pacific” in the 1800s due to its popularity with sailors on shore leave, we find its streets charming.  I read that in the 19th century it was described as “lawless and bawdy”. 

Back in Paihia a lively craft market catches DW’s eye. So we survey the offerings at the booths, chat with the vendors and contribute to the local economy.  There are many more stores and casual eateries in Paihia. A light lunch of shared fish and chips along with some Australian ginger beer is enjoyed outdoors in the park. 

After walking back to Waitangi, we are met with a very long line for the return tender.  Drats. 

On a bright note, in the early evening the Island Princess passed alongside the "Hole in the Rock" in Cape Brett. A boat trip through it earlier today was a popular excursion for many of our fellow passengers.

1.thumb.jpg.ca35779ee62b55626642b632e422f644.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.47f4f67f997cc53741f6b2a159255887.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8999c72453c02724f85b4c6e42a8a190.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.d8100dd943451ae3efe282632a056985.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.9168da0354737849d4839c02e3297bdd.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.021d273ba5b5d9adf5c7e268c7795993.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.164eefb1de3cf4e2798db604e73fb7f2.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.7d98df183767f92b66de1f696603e815.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.f5196052d02c6b2bfef7d3bb35588e97.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.95158b5f0b985d60d23d204d03043f9c.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.9335e5a3bbba570c7261cfc6afc34a1a.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.9e5004ae733f2d95dd2dc9cee29f0832.jpg