Singing Happy Birthday in the Dining Room

Do they do this anymore?  I ordered a birthday cake for my husband in the Gifts section of the website but it says it'll be delivered to our stateroom when we arrive.  I had really hoped to have them bring the cake to our table at dinner and sing for him but not sure if they do it anymore.  

1 hour ago, Tralynn222 said:

Do they do this anymore?  I ordered a birthday cake for my husband in the Gifts section of the website but it says it'll be delivered to our stateroom when we arrive.  I had really hoped to have them bring the cake to our table at dinner and sing for him but not sure if they do it anymore.  

Talk to the Maitre D' of the restaurant where you plan to have dinner on his birthday when you board the ship and I am pretty sure arrangements can be made to have a cake, possibly a different one, delivered along with the song.  I am sure if you let them know you pre-purchased the cake arrangements can be made. 

I'm not a big fan of public displays of affection or any public display of myself, at all.  I'd prefer to blend in, in public.  However, I feel that the public display of birthday wishes (singing happy birthday) is more for others that want to show you their affection.  So, for about 2 or 3 minutes a year, and pictures that last a few lifetimes (legacy), I'm willing to participate.   

When my wife and I are celebrating something (anniversary or birthday) while cruising, we generally have a cake delivered to the cabin and we enjoy it amongst our inner circle.  But, there is always been a public display (singing of happy birthday or announcement of anniversary) in Chops or whatever venue we happen to be in.  

• Like 1

The staff attempting to sing Happy Birthday 

Is one of the most painful experiences in the dining room for everyone.

The servers hate doing it and they sing completely out of key.

The diners around have to listen to it.

They actually sound like the waiters at the end of the movie

"Christmas Story"   trying to sing Jingle Bells.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ordinarily I would agree with you all, however, it's my husband's 60th.  The entire family is cruising, I just thought it would be nice to surprise him with a birthday cake and song.  He'll probably kill me afterwards, lol, jk.  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Tralynn222 said:

Ordinarily I would agree with you all, however, it's my husband's 60th.  The entire family is cruising, I just thought it would be nice to surprise him with a birthday cake and song.  He'll probably kill me afterwards, lol, jk.  

As the Nike commercial says -- "Just Do It!"

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tralynn222 said:

Plenty of people seem to enjoy it, so go for it.  Just have a private chat with your waiter or head waiter a couple days in advance.  I’m sure they will make you DH’s 60th memorable.

• Like 1

LOL.  OP asked IF they do it, not for opinions about doing it.  Some people, particularly extroverts love the attention.  I'm an introvert and don't love it but I don't care if someone else wants to be sung to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tralynn222 said:

You might want to make sure they don’t bring the cake to your cabin the first day. When you first get on the ship go to the dining room and talk to the dining room manager or whoever is at the podium and let them know. They should be able to work with you. Normally when they do the birthday in the dining room they only bring the person celebrating their birthday a piece of cake. 

Edited by vegascruiser1
  • Like 1

I think it depends on the ship. I’ve had success with this on Adventure but denied on Ovation. The Ovation situation was more than no we won’t sing- they kept forgetting to bring us the cake I bought. After the 4th dinner without it, room service brought it up in the middle of they day the following day. Gee thanks- his BDay was embarkation day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Just goes to show the difference in people.

If I am celebrating my birthday in a restaurant, we keep it among ourselves.

IMHO- Cake,absolutely yes ! Candles- okay . Singing by waiters- no thank you !

MJ🙋🏻

yes I kind of again.  and as for the cake, it ain't really anything special either.

No need to buy a cake, just let the wait staff know about the birthday and they will put a candle in whatever dessert is brought to the table for the individual.  It may also have Happy Birthday written on the plate.

IMG_20220205_124641.jpg

• Like 1