Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

2 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

In good weather, nice smart shorts 👍

I think smart shorts are going to be allowed no matter what a sign says or is on a website. The fashion police are going to be disapointed if they think there won't be some passngers in the MDR wearing shorts. The real question is will Celebrity make it official that shorts are allowed. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Why is your culture superior?

Did she say her culture was superior?  No.

She said it made her uncomfortable.  Do you actually believe it's wrong for her to feel that way?  Animal sacrifices, bull fighting, woman subjugation, child brides, etc. etc.  are parts of different cultures.  These things make me uncomfortable.  I make no apologies for feeling uncomfortable about things like these.  This has nothing to do with placing one culture above another.  I accept that cultural norms differ widely.

I have no idea why you responded by throwing up a strawman argument about her saying their culture was inferior.  She never said that.

I'm probably overreacting here, but it bothers me when someone responds as you did.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I was uncomfortable with DH looking at all that skin.  Does your DH have to wear a blindfold when you take him to the beach?

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Do you think she lets him of to the beach or the pool? 

I think you're being a bit unfair here.  I'm sure you wouldn't say that to a Muslim who is uncomfortable with certain attire.  Why do you mock @Keys Kathyfor feeling uncomfortable?

12 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I think you're being a bit unfair here.  I'm sure you wouldn't say that to a Muslim who is uncomfortable with certain attire.  Why do you mock @Keys Kathyfor feeling uncomfortable?

Because it is based on her husband looking. She didn’t say her husband was uncomfortable. As far as Muslims if they go to the beach in the Caribbean or the pool on a ship they are going to see skimpy clothes. I have no idea if that would make Muslims uncomfortable. Certainly you are not saying that there should be a rule in western countries that skimpy clothing should not be allowed since Muslims might be uncomfortable? Same in the MDR. Some may be uncomfortable with certain dress but that does not mean there is or should be a rule. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Because it is based on her husband looking.

I don't see how this matters or why you distinguish between this case and a Muslim woman being uncomfortable in the same circumstance.  That said, I see no value in arguing the point.

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

At a beach or a pool you would expect to see skin. At a nude beach, you would expect nudity. At a regular beach in the US, you would expect some type of coverage. How would you feel if a naked person walked into chuch? Someplaces it belongs, someplaces it doesn't.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

At a beach or a pool you would expect to see skin. At a nude beach, you would expect nudity. At a regular beach in the US, you would expect some type of coverage. How would you feel if a naked person walked into chuch? Someplaces it belongs, someplaces it doesn't.

I agree.  My comment was defending you 

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I think smart shorts are going to be allowed no matter what a sign says or is on a website. The fashion police are going to be disapointed if they think there won't be some passngers in the MDR wearing shorts. The real question is will Celebrity make it official that shorts are allowed. 

My Magic Eight Ball says. "cannot predict now". 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

How would you feel if a naked person walked into chuch?   I don't go to church, but I just may make an exception for this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

You can't see anyones legs under the table.  In fact, wherever you are sitting, I doubt you see more than 1% of the total guests onboard walk past you given the floor/restaurant, time, location etc.  You might catch a glimpse of someone else as they walk by to their table and then never notice them again. I can't tell if a lady is wearing Daisy Dukes or Capris, or Full Length pants if they are sat down in a chair.  And it doesn't matter. 

All these women who "don't want to look at hairy legs"....what on Earth are you doing to see this? You would literally have to be crawling around on hands and knees going underneath table cloths to see any of this. Wild claims of things that never happen and things you don't see. But everyone *needs* to be offended these days at the choices of others.  

So does Celebrity have a dress code? I mean I guess they have some dress suggestions to give people an idea. I wouldn't call it a "code" because participation is pretty much optional and style can be a wide range. But they have lots of marketing information on their website that seasoned cruisers know is inaccurate once onboard. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

You can't see anyones legs under the table.  In fact, wherever you are sitting, I doubt you see more than 1% of the total guests onboard walk past you given the floor/restaurant, time, location etc.  You might catch a glimpse of someone else as they walk by to their table and then never notice them again. I can't tell if a lady is wearing Daisy Dukes or Capris, or Full Length pants if they are sat down in a chair.  And it doesn't matter. 

All these women who "don't want to look at hairy legs"....what on Earth are you doing to see this? You would literally have to be crawling around on hands and knees going underneath table cloths to see any of this. Wild claims of things that never happen and things you don't see. But everyone *needs* to be offended these days at the choices of others.  

So does Celebrity have a dress code? I mean I guess they have some dress suggestions to give people an idea. I wouldn't call it a "code" because participation is pretty much optional and style can be a wide range. But they have lots of marketing information on their website that seasoned cruisers know is inaccurate once onboard. 

Well said.  The pretend dress code police need to find another "problem" to spend precious vacation time worrying about, just IMVHO, of course.  Yes yes I know, sign sign everywhere a sign , plenty of pics of the signs here on CC.  Just stop freaking worrying about what anyone else is wearing, you'll have a far better time on board, all the stress oh my.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

Last week a older passenger in shorts was turned away from entering the MDR on Equinox…

"older passenger in shorts was turned away"

No wonder--- the old fart was in their undershorts and forgot to put on their slacks !!!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, kayehall said:

And what about skorts for women?  No one has mentioned skorts, which I wear all the time in the summer.

And what about skorts for women?  This reminds me of a question George Carlin asked when I saw him in Vegas, but that is NSFCC 🙂  I see absolutely no reason why a skort would not be allowed.

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

"older passenger in shorts was turned away"

No wonder--- the old fart was in their undershorts and forgot to put on their slacks !!!

Wait a minute I resemble that old fart comment, LOL 

BTW I wore shorts most of this past week with temps in the high 70's and 80's here in South TX.

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Same here in North Texas. We had two days in the 80's.

I respectfully ask that you both kindly be quiet about your weather.  🙂  I am in the south as well, but it is the south of New England and it is 27 degrees and been raining for 3 days, I'm trying to remember what sunshine looks like!  OK, you can go back to resuming your enjoyment of the real south's weather..

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And bell bottoms and parachute pants?

Bell bottoms have already made a comeback.  And I just gave away my last velour track suit when I moved to SC last year!!!!  Did I just age myself?  

I have really enjoyed this conversation.  Got a lot of good laughs!!!

3 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Bell bottoms have already made a comeback.  And I just gave away my last velour track suit when I moved to SC last year!!!!  Did I just age myself?  

I have really enjoyed this conversation.  Got a lot of good laughs!!!

As long as you kept the leisure suit!