What is NCL doing now if you test positive for covid-19 on board?

Turtles06

We were on the Bliss in December and a couple was positive and in the medical facility for a bit and then 5 days of quarantine and had to have 2 days in a row of negative test before set free to roam the ship.  If you had a negative and then next day a positive, needed 2 in a row days of negative tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:17 PM, uneamie said:

So sorry for your experience. What a shame after spending all that money for the Haven. That said, I have a chronic cough due to my blood pressure pills. It's not all the time but sometimes it can be for 5 to 10 minutes of dry couphing. When that happens I generally excuse myself and go to the ladies room if I am in the public but I often feel unconfortable because I know people are looking at me thinking the same as you.....that I have cooties and why am I out in public. ugh It's a cough that I cannot control. 

sounds like you are on a class of blood pressure control medication that has a side effect of dry cough known as ace inhibitors

talk to your doctor about switching to a different class Ace 2 which dont have the cough side effect 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, cementhands said:

Leaving in a few days and tested negative at home. I’m bringing extra test kits and masks. Double vaccinated and double boosted and fifth shot toooooo!  Hopefully we’ll enjoy this cruise, came home off of May 2022 cruise and wife got covid19 symptoms on ride home and paxlovid and recovered.

I followed up with covid19 a week later and got paxlovid recovered for a few days and rebound covid19 after!
Way worse.

Inhaler and long covid19 program now. But we are going back on another cruise knowing the risk.

Gotta live.

Not getting any younger.

Namaste!

Yikes .....all those boosters and you still ended up very sick. Sorry to hear that

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

The cruise lines ability to move you to a different cabin relies on the availability of other cabins to move you into. So it's hard to say, as each trip will be different. Even if they block aside 10 OV or balcony cabins that can't be booked to reserve for Covid quarantine - what happens if you're guest #11? You'll have to stay where you are. 

It's that level of unknown which prevents us from ever booking a cabin we wouldn't be ok staying in if worst case scenario happens.

Makes sense - thanks for the reply.

12 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

sounds like you are on a class of blood pressure control medication that has a side effect of dry cough known as ace inhibitors

talk to your doctor about switching to a different class Ace 2 which dont have the cough side effect 

Exactly what I also thought when I read that - I went through the same thing myself about 6 months ago. Switched medications, and saw an instant improvement.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread about 10 days ago, so I’d be prepped if the it happened. And it did. My third cruise since cruising resumed, my first time having Covid. Just got home today. Overall, so as expected, some frustrations. 

Last Thursday, a had a scratchy throat, twinge of a headache, lethargic, and then my teeth started chattering on deck somewhere off Cuba. I isolated in my own cabin until medical opened. I also had my own tests with me, and tested twice (negative), but a 100.4 fever. Since I wanted the antiviral (and had travel insurance in case) I went to medical. This was a girls trip cruse, so my roommate was not my partner.

After my PCR came back, the ship doctor offered me OTC meds and told me there were not treatments for Covid. I was all “hold up… no… paxlovid. NCL says they stock it.” He told me no. I insisted. I wrote the name down. He went to consult someone else, and came back with the generic. But this was one frustration. Maybe his contract just started and he has been off for 9 months. But he told me, twice, there was no treatment. 

total bill for medical and generic paxlovid was $1284. 

They then took be straight to an isolate cabin, do not collect your things. Roommate was allowed to stay as long as she did not have symptoms. But, they never contacted her. Cruise has 2 days left. 

Followed down the hall with the ghostbusters guy fogging the air. This was expected, but wow you feel awkward. 

I was put in the room, they didn’t tell me the number, and the door was closed. That was it. I didn’t have a charger, so I was able to get two texts out begging a friend ti bring me a charger, then the phone died. I went to bedside phone, and hit the front desk key, it rang and rang and rang. No answer. I called room service and told them I’d just been quarantined can I get food? How does this work. Kudos to room service! The food they brought was the best I had all week. And they brought me eggs flourintine, which aren’t a default on the buffet anymore 😔 The veggie pizza was also very good! And they brought me bottles of water. 

Late the next day, they started actually telling me what was going on, or at least how they were getting me off the ship tomorrow. 6 phone calls between 8 and 10, some telling me the same thing they already had. Some asking for my passport and a copy of my vaccine card (which I happen to store with my passport). 

A lot could be done to info people how this works. I remember people saying this in the beginning. But we are what, 18 months into cruising again? Why is there not a “So you’ve been quarantined” booklet waiting in your room with info like food, water, how youll be disembarked, options for WiFi. And some sort of reminder of CDC guidelines. Like, clearly people following it would be an issue, but could they not at least have a flyer saying you really shouldn’t fly right away?

There were two others in my plague group disembarking. We were laughing about how NCL just wanted to get us on the ground and someone else’s problems. They mentioned how weird it was to have that treatment on the ship, and then to be turned loose on cabs and the airport. I actually used my WiFi (which I paid for, they told me it was free, but I didn’t have it in me to dispute it) to rebook my flight and find a hotel. I waiting another two days at an airport hotel and flew home this morning, after I got a negative test. 

Overall, I went in with some clue what to expect, but I admit I was frustrated at the lack of information at this point in 2023. I’ve read these threads over the past year or so, and this frustration seems common. Really? We haven’t fixed it yet?!  The poor guy who got my first room service call, I still had a fever, was cranky, and had been left in a room with no info, no water, no food, he was the first person who answered my calls. Bless him 😘

I never got guest services to answer the phone phone. But, once I had my phone working, the guest relations call in the app was highly successful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rubytue said:

I read this thread about 10 days ago, so I’d be prepped if the it happened. And it did. My third cruise since cruising resumed, my first time having Covid. Just got home today. Overall, so as expected, some frustrations. 

Last Thursday, a had a scratchy throat, twinge of a headache, lethargic, and then my teeth started chattering on deck somewhere off Cuba. I isolated in my own cabin until medical opened. I also had my own tests with me, and tested twice (negative), but a 100.4 fever. Since I wanted the antiviral (and had travel insurance in case) I went to medical. This was a girls trip cruse, so my roommate was not my partner.

After my PCR came back, the ship doctor offered me OTC meds and told me there were not treatments for Covid. I was all “hold up… no… paxlovid. NCL says they stock it.” He told me no. I insisted. I wrote the name down. He went to consult someone else, and came back with the generic. But this was one frustration. Maybe his contract just started and he has been off for 9 months. But he told me, twice, there was no treatment. 

total bill for medical and generic paxlovid was $1284. 

They then took be straight to an isolate cabin, do not collect your things. Roommate was allowed to stay as long as she did not have symptoms. But, they never contacted her. Cruise has 2 days left. 

Followed down the hall with the ghostbusters guy fogging the air. This was expected, but wow you feel awkward. 

I was put in the room, they didn’t tell me the number, and the door was closed. That was it. I didn’t have a charger, so I was able to get two texts out begging a friend ti bring me a charger, then the phone died. I went to bedside phone, and hit the front desk key, it rang and rang and rang. No answer. I called room service and told them I’d just been quarantined can I get food? How does this work. Kudos to room service! The food they brought was the best I had all week. And they brought me eggs flourintine, which aren’t a default on the buffet anymore 😔 The veggie pizza was also very good! And they brought me bottles of water. 

Late the next day, they started actually telling me what was going on, or at least how they were getting me off the ship tomorrow. 6 phone calls between 8 and 10, some telling me the same thing they already had. Some asking for my passport and a copy of my vaccine card (which I happen to store with my passport). 

A lot could be done to info people how this works. I remember people saying this in the beginning. But we are what, 18 months into cruising again? Why is there not a “So you’ve been quarantined” booklet waiting in your room with info like food, water, how youll be disembarked, options for WiFi. And some sort of reminder of CDC guidelines. Like, clearly people following it would be an issue, but could they not at least have a flyer saying you really shouldn’t fly right away?

There were two others in my plague group disembarking. We were laughing about how NCL just wanted to get us on the ground and someone else’s problems. They mentioned how weird it was to have that treatment on the ship, and then to be turned loose on cabs and the airport. I actually used my WiFi (which I paid for, they told me it was free, but I didn’t have it in me to dispute it) to rebook my flight and find a hotel. I waiting another two days at an airport hotel and flew home this morning, after I got a negative test. 

Overall, I went in with some clue what to expect, but I admit I was frustrated at the lack of information at this point in 2023. I’ve read these threads over the past year or so, and this frustration seems common. Really? We haven’t fixed it yet?!  The poor guy who got my first room service call, I still had a fever, was cranky, and had been left in a room with no info, no water, no food, he was the first person who answered my calls. Bless him 😘

I never got guest services to answer the phone phone. But, once I had my phone working, the guest relations call in the app was highly successful.

Omg... that sounds horrible and sorry you had to go through that.  I hope I never have to go down to get tested but I will take as much as possible with me if I do.  Did they have somebody pack up your things, passport and bring them down to you when you got off?

I agree they should have a little pamphlet or something to tell you what will be happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rubytue said:

I’m so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you are feeling better. 

Could you tell us please what ship you were on?  You should not have been treated the way you were. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you are feeling better. 

Could you tell us please what ship you were on?  You should not have been treated the way you were. 

Thank you. I am doing much better. Paxlovid is the bomb.  And I’m home now, which makes things so much better. 

I was on the Pearl. And full disclosure, this was one of the full ship music charters by Sixthman. So, it’s a different level of closeness than typical on other cruises. Think how everyone, literally everyone, on the ship is in one of 4 locations at a time, pool deck, spinnaker, the atrium, and then the open space outside Le Bistro. And people have been doing this cruise for 10-20 years, so lots of cruise buddies you only see on a cruise. 

17 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

Omg... that sounds horrible and sorry you had to go through that.  I hope I never have to go down to get tested but I will take as much as possible with me if I do.  Did they have somebody pack up your things, passport and bring them down to you when you got off?

I agree they should have a little pamphlet or something to tell you what will be happening.

They told me to tell my roommate to pack up my stuff and they would bring it to me. My roommate ended up packing my stuff and bringing it up to me on her own. Unlike the days past where they wouldn’t let people down the corridor, she came up, knocked on my door, and I was able to talk to her for a minute. She was a sweetheart and made two trips. The first with enoigh to get me through the night (phone charger, book, toothbrush), and then the next day with everything. 

I do want to give a shout out to room service. The food they delivered was the best I had on the ship. Pizza fresh from the oven! Perfect eggs. 

• Like 2

Here was my experience, FWIW.  In November, my DH and I were on a 16-day Mediterranean/TA cruise on Escape.  Early in the cruise, I started to have respiratory symptoms.  I went to the Medical Department, where they told me they would test me for Covid and if I tested positive, they would perform a second Covid test and if that was also positive, I would be isolated in my cabin for five days.  If I tested negative, they would figure out what was wrong with me.  I agreed to the protocol, and was ushered to the Covid testing area.  The rapid test was performed.  It was negative.  As soon as that came back, I was sent to the waiting area again.

While in the waiting area, my husband and I heard the nurse speak to a woman who had come in shortly after we had.  That passenger said that she had Covid symptoms, had done a test in her room, and it came back positive. When she was told what the protocol was (two tests in the Medical Department, and if they both came back positive, isolation passenger cabin for five days), she refused, said she just wanted medication, and signed herself out AMA.  My husband and I sat there staring at each other in disbelief.  This was Day 2 of a 16-day cruise.   I know there is nothing to be done when a passenger simply does not take Covid seriously, but it was a horrifying moment.

As for me, I had severe bronchitis, which the Medical Department handled with incredible compassion and care.  It required follow-up, which they provided, and a change in treatment, which was not a problem.  They have good doctors and staff there and I was impressed with the quality and level of care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear, when I read some of these stories, I’m not surprised if irresponsible folks just avoid getting tested which just makes the issue worse for everyone else on the same ship. 

Also totally agree with what was said earlier- tour busses are definitely a “great” place to catch it. Got it myself for the second time in December and while not on a cruise, guess where I got it? Yep, on a tour bus in Western Australia. Luckily, as a cancer survivor I qualified for Paxlovid despite my younger age and tested negative two days later. Had a bitter taste in my mouth for five days as a side effect but would still urge anyone at risk to get it. Better a bitter taste than ending up in hospital I’d say!

Stay safe and healthy all.

• Like 1

I will do a longer write up later when I'm up to it, but my mom tested + in our cabin in Getaway Haven one week ago today and here's how it worked:

I had brought tests from home, so when she fell ill we tested, got a positive result and called medical and left a message.

The nurse on duty called back and outlined the procedure, basically enumerating the initial fees for consultation (several hundred dollars to walk in and see the doctor and be tested, followed by whatever treatment required, which was likely to be in the $3000.00 range.) I can only imagine how many people say "no thanks" at that point and simply stay in bed or continue their vacation infecting others. My mother was quite ill, however, and we had insurance and the money to cover it even if insurance didn't, so I indicated we wanted to come down. We were told to come down when the clinic opened at 6.  (The clinic is only open for walk ins about 90 minutes morning and evening. Obviously they are open outside those hours for emergencies and treatments, but that's when they process as much as possible)

We arrived at the clinic, filled out pages of releases and promises to pay, and waited until called to see the nurse where her  vital signs were checked. (This was maybe 10 minutes.) Then back to the waiting room and another few minutes to see the doctor, who examined her, explained that this was basically an emergency department, ran according to some maritime law, and he was bound to follow certain treatment protocols depending on what he found upon further testing, and we would be responsible for those costs. We wanted testing and treatment so agreed. I found the doctor extremely pleasant and professional and felt very confident in his approach and thankful for his reassurance to my mom that he would make her feel better. 

I was struck that fully half the medical staff wasn't wearing masks. Even once my mother was fully diagnosed there was not 100% masking in her presence. The doctors all masked. 

We were taken to another room where she was given a rapid test for COVID (positive) followed by a PCR test, and tests for flu A+B and strep (he had noted the state of her tonsils, so I don't know if everybody gets that). She also needed a chest xray because of what he heard in her chest (again, may not be routine if chest sounds are clear). My sister and I had tested negative in our room at the same time she tested positive so the doctor explained that we were free to move about the ship but please wear a mask out of consideration. I was concerned that my sister was up in our room with no information, so given that my mother would be there another couple of hours, decided to go back to the cabin, let her know what was going on, and fetch some reading material.

I returned and the doctor pulled me into a side room to show me her chest xray, indicating she had an infection and would need antibiotics (which he had predicted based on his exam). They did a urinalysis to make sure she could tolerate the necessary medications. She ended up hooked up to multiple ivs for tylenol, antibiotics, and other meds for lung support, as well as nebulizer treatments. The PCR test had come back positive for COVID and negative for the other illnesses.

We stayed several hours until these were finished, then returned to the cabin, where she would be isolated except for medical center visits until disembarkation. We returned to the medical center the next morning and evening for a couple of hours, then the following morning as well, at which point they declared their treatment finished. She felt much better very quickly after the initial treatments and continued improving.  

At all times I felt the care equivalent to what she would have received in our local U.S. emergency departments; it certainly was quicker than she would have received at home, where she likely would have spent hours waiting to be seen. I imagine her age (86) may have sped this up a bit, but I could watch people come and go down the hall and I don't think other people in the waiting room had long wait times.  

While we were happy with her care, other folks were extremely unhappy with their bills and taking it out on the woman at the desk. Chief complaints were things listed and charged that were not done. Because of those complaints I overheard I did read the reports extremely carefully and caught an important error (where it said no COVID virus had been found instead of that COVID virus had been found - I imagine that mistake would have really screwed up the insurance battle ahead). However, I simply showed it to the doctor and asked if this could be fixed and she took care of it immediately. It was clearly a case of the wrong code being typed in and easily fixed. So read your documentation carefully when they hand it to you. It's a lot, but it's important - you don't want to try to fix a problem AFTER your cruise.

There were three doctors and three nurses on duty and we met them all over those 3 days (and most every day). Given the volume of patients they have to deal with, they were amazing and really running wild those hours that they were open for walk ins. So if you need to go to medical for an issue and feel like you're waiting a long time, remember that the same nurse who went to get you ice for your knee or a pillow might have to suddenly grab somebody a basin so they can vomit, or attend to an iv machine beeping because it ran out and is ready for the next medication, and there are only so many hands on deck even when all are present.  

Total for visit 1: $5300.00 (I'm rounding off)

Total for visit 2: $3200.00

Total for visit 3: $1600.00

After the first night the charges showed up on the account on the tv before I received the paper accounting.  Everything was itemized, and the prices actually were not insane - $139 for a chest xray? Try getting that at home. However, paxlovid (actually the Indian pharmaceutical company equivalent) was $800. On her insurance at home it would have been free. But she was not at home, it's a floating hospital with limited supply capability and we were thankful to get it. From other accounts I've seen ships do run out. All of us who cruise know how much more expensive basic staples are on islands, let alone on ships.

As far as the rest of the trip went, my sister and I were still testing negative but chose not to move about the ship. Being in a 2 bedroom Haven suite didn't hurt. The Haven didn't really give us any guidance (we think that by this point in the pandemic there should have been a handout provided explaining EVERYTHING but we had to feel our way through one question at a time.). Our butler brought our meals from the Haven, but came masked and could not step over the threshold and indicated that cameras were watching him.  That was fine - he brought trays and I answered the door in a mask and took the trays from him and handed him old trays/dishes back. The room steward stopped coming, though we sent word we needed more small towels and he brought them. I asked about disembarkation and was told to keep our luggage and we would be last off the ship and accompanied by medical. I told them we could not possibly move three suitcases, carry ons and push a walker and wheelchair and they said help would be provided.

On disembarkation we waited in our cabin until they called and said they would be coming at 10 but to be ready by 9:15. That person told us that only my mother would be taken off and my sister and I would have to run down to the main disembarkation area and meet up with her afterwards.  The medical staff person contradicted this when she arrived and kept us together. There were people to help with luggage and we took the service elevator down to a separate exit where we keycarded out, a customs person checked my mom's name off a list and we were listed as her companions and he checked us off.  Then we went down a steep/slippery ramp (aided by staff, thankfully) to a deserted pier on the opposite side from where others disembarked, as far as I could tell. And then we waited outside a building for several minutes until everybody else infected was present. Thank goodness it was not raining/snowing because that was about 10 minutes outside with no cover. Then we were whisked through another building, directly out the other side onto a side alley, and along the port building  out to 12th avenue where all the luggage assistance people wished us luck and literally disappeared, leaving us with 3 bags, carryons, a walker and a wheelchair in the middle of hundreds of people moving both to enter and exit the terminal building. The police were screaming at everybody to cross the street and we were caught in that, but our ride was not in that direction so we had to fight the flow of traffic and inch our way sideways a few feet at a time through people without leaving bags behind which was complete insanity and we angered a lot of people who must have wondered why we were in the way. 

We were on the drop off level not the pick up level but were able to finally make connection with our ride and get picked up and out of there.  Essentially NCL wants you off their ship, the terminal people want you out of their terminal, and once you're on the sidewalk in NYC you're on your own. I understand it, but it's horrifying if you're not expecting it, and there are safer ways of doing it - if they took us off FIRST, we could have been directed to a specific area to wait for our pickups without encountering the peak arrival times for incoming passengers. Instead we were literally walked right into them. 

So we got home and my sister tested positive and then a couple of days later I did too. I will deal with the insurance in a few days when I'm up to it. Mom is almost back to normal and sister and I are dealing with minor cases so far (thank goodness). 

So, long story short:

1) Have insurance

2) Have a second credit card ready if the one you checked in with has a limit under 10K (I had used my low limit card because I like the points on that one, thinking it would just be a few hundred total.)

3) Bring home covid tests to make sure you are positive before approaching medical

4) Bring over the counter meds from home to deal with symptoms if you have them - we had immodium, thankfully - not sure what they would have charged for that!)

5) Don't bring more luggage than you can manage without a porter; next solo trip I will be particularly mindful to pack light.

6) Be nice to the medical staff and ship staff, and that includes not being a jerk and traveling around the ship when you've been exposed to a sick person but aren't sick yet yourself

7) Don't expect a lot of direction from staff - even in the Haven. 

8 ) Read your documentation carefully and request any edits politely 

9) If you're a smoker, have a plan, maybe a patch or gum, for if you can't leave the cabin to smoke.

10) DO NOT let them separate you from loved ones when disembarking - had we disembarked with the rest of the pax I don't know how we ever would have found my mother who would have possibly been left on the sidewalk in front of the terminal in her wheel chair (I hope not, but...)

Hope this account gives people some idea of what to expect/prepare for, and that they never have to put any of it into use. But better to know than not know...

Edited by DaisyGoldberg
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

I will do a longer write up later when I'm up to it, but my mom tested + in our cabin in Getaway Haven one week ago today and here's how it worked:

I had brought tests from home, so when she fell ill we tested, got a positive result and called medical and left a message.

The nurse on duty called back and outlined the procedure, basically enumerating the initial fees for consultation (several hundred dollars to walk in and see the doctor and be tested, followed by whatever treatment required, which was likely to be in the $3000.00 range.) I can only imagine how many people say "no thanks" at that point and simply stay in bed or continue their vacation infecting others. My mother was quite ill, however, and we had insurance and the money to cover it even if insurance didn't, so I indicated we wanted to come down. We were told to come down when the clinic opened at 6.  (The clinic is only open for walk ins about 90 minutes morning and evening. Obviously they are open outside those hours for emergencies and treatments, but that's when they process as much as possible)

We arrived at the clinic, filled out pages of releases and promises to pay, and waited until called to see the nurse where her  vital signs were checked. (This was maybe 10 minutes.) Then back to the waiting room and another few minutes to see the doctor, who examined her, explained that this was basically an emergency department, ran according to some maritime law, and he was bound to follow certain treatment protocols depending on what he found upon further testing, and we would be responsible for those costs. We wanted testing and treatment so agreed. I found the doctor extremely pleasant and professional and felt very confident in his approach and thankful for his reassurance to my mom that he would make her feel better. 

I was struck that fully half the medical staff wasn't wearing masks. Even once my mother was fully diagnosed there was not 100% masking in her presence. The doctors all masked. 

We were taken to another room where she was given a rapid test for COVID (positive) followed by a PCR test, and tests for flu A+B and strep (he had noted the state of her tonsils, so I don't know if everybody gets that). She also needed a chest xray because of what he heard in her chest (again, may not be routine if chest sounds are clear). My sister and I had tested negative in our room at the same time she tested positive so the doctor explained that we were free to move about the ship but please wear a mask out of consideration. I was concerned that my sister was up in our room with no information, so given that my mother would be there another couple of hours, decided to go back to the cabin, let her know what was going on, and fetch some reading material.

I returned and the doctor pulled me into a side room to show me her chest xray, indicating she had an infection and would need antibiotics (which he had predicted based on his exam). They did a urinalysis to make sure she could tolerate the necessary medications. She ended up hooked up to multiple ivs for tylenol, antibiotics, and other meds for lung support, as well as nebulizer treatments. The PCR test had come back positive for COVID and negative for the other illnesses.

We stayed several hours until these were finished, then returned to the cabin, where she would be isolated except for medical center visits until disembarkation. We returned to the medical center the next morning and evening for a couple of hours, then the following morning as well, at which point they declared their treatment finished. She felt much better very quickly after the initial treatments and continued improving.  

At all times I felt the care equivalent to what she would have received in our local U.S. emergency departments; it certainly was quicker than she would have received at home, where she likely would have spent hours waiting to be seen. I imagine her age (86) may have sped this up a bit, but I could watch people come and go down the hall and I don't think other people in the waiting room had long wait times.  

While we were happy with her care, other folks were extremely unhappy with their bills and taking it out on the woman at the desk. Chief complaints were things listed and charged that were not done. Because of those complaints I overheard I did read the reports extremely carefully and caught an important error (where it said no COVID virus had been found instead of that COVID virus had been found - I imagine that mistake would have really screwed up the insurance battle ahead). However, I simply showed it to the doctor and asked if this could be fixed and she took care of it immediately. It was clearly a case of the wrong code being typed in and easily fixed. So read your documentation carefully when they hand it to you. It's a lot, but it's important - you don't want to try to fix a problem AFTER your cruise.

There were three doctors and three nurses on duty and we met them all over those 3 days (and most every day). Given the volume of patients they have to deal with, they were amazing and really running wild those hours that they were open for walk ins. So if you need to go to medical for an issue and feel like you're waiting a long time, remember that the same nurse who went to get you ice for your knee or a pillow might have to suddenly grab somebody a basin so they can vomit, or attend to an iv machine beeping because it ran out and is ready for the next medication, and there are only so many hands on deck even when all are present.  

After the first night the charges showed up on the account on the tv before I received the paper accounting.  Everything was itemized, and the prices actually were not insane - $139 for a chest xray? Try getting that at home. However, paxlovid (actually the Indian pharmaceutical company equivalent) was $800. On her insurance at home it would have been free. But she was not at home, it's a floating hospital with limited supply capability and we were thankful to get it. From other accounts I've seen ships do run out. All of us who cruise know how much more expensive basic staples are on islands, let alone on ships.

As far as the rest of the trip went, my sister and I were still testing negative but chose not to move about the ship. Being in a 2 bedroom Haven suite didn't hurt. The Haven didn't really give us any guidance (we think that by this point in the pandemic there should have been a handout provided explaining EVERYTHING but we had to feel our way through one question at a time.). Our butler brought our meals from the Haven, but came masked and could not step over the threshold and indicated that cameras were watching him.  That was fine - he brought trays and I answered the door in a mask and took the trays from him and handed him old trays/dishes back. The room steward stopped coming, though we sent word we needed more small towels and he brought them. I asked about disembarkation and was told to keep our luggage and we would be last off the ship and accompanied by medical. I told them we could not possibly move three suitcases, carry ons and push a walker and wheelchair and they said help would be provided.

On disembarkation we waited in our cabin until they called and said they would be coming at 10 but to be ready by 9:15. That person told us that only my mother would be taken off and my sister and I would have to run down to the main disembarkation area and meet up with her afterwards.  The medical staff person contradicted this when she arrived and kept us together. There were people to help with luggage and we took the service elevator down to a separate exit where we keycarded out, a customs person checked my mom's name off a list and we were listed as her companions and he checked us off.  Then we went down a steep/slippery ramp (aided by staff, thankfully) to a deserted pier on the opposite side from where others disembarked, as far as I could tell. And then we waited outside a building for several minutes until everybody else infected was present. Thank goodness it was not raining/snowing because that was about 10 minutes outside with no cover. Then we were whisked through another building, directly out the other side onto a side alley, and along the port building  out to 12th avenue where all the luggage assistance people wished us luck and literally disappeared, leaving us with 3 bags, carryons, a walker and a wheelchair in the middle of hundreds of people moving both to enter and exit the terminal building. The police were screaming at everybody to cross the street and we were caught in that, but our ride was not in that direction so we had to fight the flow of traffic and inch our way sideways a few feet at a time through people without leaving bags behind which was complete insanity and we angered a lot of people who must have wondered why we were in the way. 

We were on the drop off level not the pick up level but were able to finally make connection with our ride and get picked up and out of there.  Essentially NCL wants you off their ship, the terminal people want you out of their terminal, and once you're on the sidewalk in NYC you're on your own. I understand it, but it's horrifying if you're not expecting it, and there are safer ways of doing it - if they took us off FIRST, we could have been directed to a specific area to wait for our pickups without encountering the peak arrival times for incoming passengers. Instead we were literally walked right into them. 

So we got home and my sister tested positive and then a couple of days later I did too. I will deal with the insurance in a few days when I'm up to it. Mom is almost back to normal and sister and I are dealing with minor cases so far (thank goodness). 

So, long story short:

1) Have insurance

2) Have a second credit card ready if the one you checked in with has a limit under 10K (I had used my low limit card because I like the points on that one, thinking it would just be a few hundred total.)

3) Bring home covid tests to make sure you are positive before approaching medical

4) Bring over the counter meds from home to deal with symptoms if you have them - we had immodium, thankfully - not sure what they would have charged for that!)

5) Don't bring more luggage than you can manage without a porter; next solo trip I will be particularly mindful to pack light.

6) Be nice to the medical staff and ship staff, and that includes not being a jerk and traveling around the ship when you've been exposed to a sick person but aren't sick yet yourself

Hope this account gives people some idea of what to expect/prepare for, and that they never have to put any of it into use. But better to know than not know...

Hopefully you and your family will each be well soon!  Thank you for the information.

12 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

So, long story short:

1) Have insurance

9) If you're a smoker, have a plan, maybe a patch or gum, for if you can't leave the cabin to smoke.

10) DO NOT let them separate you from loved ones when disembarking - had we disembarked with the rest of the pax I don't know how we ever would have found my mother who would have possibly been left on the sidewalk in front of the terminal in her wheel chair (I hope not, but...)

I’m glad your mom is feeling better, and hopefully you and your sister recover quickly as well. 
Thank you for the reminder to always have a high-limit credit card available for unexpected expenses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

where it said no COVID virus had been found instead of that COVID virus had been found - I imagine that mistake would have really screwed up the insurance battle ahead)

Same thing on mine. There is one line that says Covid negative, but the rest of the notes are clear it’s a Covid diagnosis. I discovered this today, when I was putting things together for insurance. *sigh*. 

23 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

So, long story short:

1) Have insurance

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry you had to go through this, especially the dump off on the West Side. I truly wish your mom the best in her recovery.

My lesson, we leave our high balance cards at home. I suppose we should bring one of them along, given the costs you've outlined. 

• Like 1

Oddest thing about this is that we met a couple in terminal and immediately became friends and a few days later she stated her boyfriend had Covid-19. Tested positive and quarantined for duration but not her. We enjoyed her company and I got sickly towards the end of the cruise. Off the ship on a Wednesday and my wife tested negative. As I drove home and felt sick I tested positive on Thursday. NCL did little for the sick boyfriend and she even had to take food and water to their room, same room. Looks like I’m getting paxlovid again. 3 rd time for me Covid-19. Phizer double booster and double vaccinations and even the 5th shot in January 2023. Great cruise except for the coronavirus!

Did at home test before the cruise. Double vaccinated and double boosted and even the 5 th shot for new variants plus the flu shot! Enjoyed the 12 nights onboard getaway January 2023. Met a very nice couple in terminal and enjoyed them onboard until one day the lady said boyfriend is quarantine and she had to get him food and water and bring back up to her room. But she is free to come and go. Dancing by us.
We thought we were okay because we also had covid19 in June of 2023, so thinking we’re supercharged against it!

Long story short I felt rundown last 2 days and got home and tested positive again and took paxlovid again and 2 weeks later finally feeling a bit better! It’s out there! Beware but we still gotta live. We really enjoyed our cruise. New normal!  

But I was so excited to do another cruise soon and now I’m pumping my brakes.

My daughter calls me CovidMan! 

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did you do a self-test for Covid?  They're still giving those things out for free, so nobody really has to be guessing if they have Covid or not.

I did, but Medical still insists on doing two Covid tests.  At that point I didn't mind the certainty.  Heaven only knows if I did the test properly.

Just now, ysolde said:

I did, but Medical still insists on doing two Covid tests.  At that point I didn't mind the certainty.  Heaven only knows if I did the test properly.

ETA: Medical does one Covid test if you test negative, two if you test positive.  I had tested negative in my cabin.

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did you do a self-test for Covid?  They're still giving those things out for free, so nobody really has to be guessing if they have Covid or not.

And one more thing (I really wish we had an edit function here), as I wrote in an earlier post, there was a woman in the waiting room who had tested positive in her cabin.  When she was informed of the protocol (two positive tests in Medical, then isolation in her cabin for five days), she checked herself out of Medical AMA.  Apparently, she had only come to Medical because she felt sick and wanted medicine.  She did not want to spend money on two tests when she already knew she was positive, and she most certainly was not going to subject herself to isolation in her cabin.  So the self-testing is a double-edged sword (as is the testing in Medical).  There really is no solution when some passengers think Covid is no big deal.  Anyhow . .  .

15 minutes ago, ysolde said:

(I really wish we had an edit function here)

There's an edit function. Click on  "..." at the top of the post next to the post number. It allows you to report, share or edit a post. The edit function is available for about 15 minutes after the post is made.

• Thanks 1

Just off the Breakaway Feb 12. We were a group of 19. So far 8 of us have covid today. There was so much coughing, sneezing on the ship but also in the airports/planes that I knew I was going to get some flavor of virus. I’ve had OG Pfizer then one booster. No boosters since. I had all other vax tho, flu and Shingles. Just decided no more mRNA shots.

I think my headache and slight sore throat began Feb 11, last cruise day.  Didn’t have obvious symptoms till yest. Today I feel pretty yucky, but not the worst. I’ve been knocked harder by flu. I’m hoping I turn the corner another 1-2 days.  My sore throat has almost lost my voice. Some fatigue and only a bit of congestion. Mostly it’s sore throat with a little bit of cough and headaches/earaches. 

• 5 months later...

As of May 2023 when we took a 15 night transatlantic NCL cruise, they had no protocols in place.  I don't think they do even now 3 months later.  There we active cases early on in the cruise and no one was isolated. Passengers were not informed.  I estimate that over 100 people were infected including myself and my husband.  Our Facebook group for this cruise confirms it. 

Upon disembarking we unknowingly infected other family members who met us in Europe,  and our family trip came to an abrupt halt when we all fell ill. We flew home eventually without ever leaving our hotel room. 

I contacted NCL and our agent at United Cruises. Neither did anything. COVID isn't over folx and while we knew the risks of cruising, we also know that the situation could have been mitigated had NCL had a crisis plan in place.

Edited by frequentLI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1