No more prime rib?

kevin1551

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Our cruise is May looks the same as usual. Several appetizers and entrees, include chicken liver parfait and prime rib.

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well there is a lot of talk about wastage these days.  Especially in the OVC.

When I go to the OVC I pick the exact portions that I want to consume.  If I want more I go back and get small portions of what I want a taste of.

When I go to the MDR they serve me these large portions that I only eat half of.  If I want a taste of something I get the full dish and waste a lot.

If you ask me the MDR is the wasteful dining venue.

Yes...X, make better food or else you're going to be considered wasteful 🤣

56 minutes ago, Orator said:

I'm in basic agreement with your points, but believe that cutbacks can be a two edge sword. In December I took a Viking Ocean cruise and in January I cruised on the Oceania Riviera. Saw many former Celebrity loyalist who decided to go a bit upscale because of the "decline in the quality and value of Celebrity".

Based on one cruise on Oceania and 1 cruise on Viking and more than 100 on Celebrity. IMO, based on my experience and preferences I'd say that Viking is a much better fIt. Speakers were more than excellent and the same cannot be said for Oceania. The entertainment on Oceania was less than Celebrity, but it was better than Celebrity on Viking. Both had better food than Celebrity and they had prime rib that was large and flavorful. There was no cost on either line for speciality restaurants. I observed a few children on Oceania and Viking doesn't allow children under 18. This might cause controversy,, but I found more interesting passengers on both Oceania and Viking. I felt the staff on all three ships was about the same. You can look at what's included in each and I believe that the cost may not be all that different. 

On 1/14/2023 at 9:02 AM, Accessor said:

But you can get Prime Rib on Royal's new menus? ...this makes ZERO sense as Celebrity is marketed as the upscale line. We are seriously considering cancelling our upcoming cruise.

All of these cheerleaders telling us how everything has gone up in price...sure, along with the price for us to cruise on Celebrity, tip on Celebrity, but drinks on Celebrity, and the list goes on and on. Celebrity keeps increasing costs and decreasing quality/variety and they will lose passengers paying a premium for a non-premium experience.

Actually, I don't know whether anyone noticed: Celebrity recently released spring 2025 Caribbean cruises - balcony is 60% less expensive than for the same time frame in 2024 (so, as I mentioned, we've booked both April 2024 (in March 2022 prior prices went up by 35%) and 2025 cruises).

11 minutes ago, Orator said:

... This might cause controversy,, but I found more interesting passengers on both Oceania and Viking. I felt the staff on all three ships was about the same. You can look at what's included in each and I believe that the cost may not be all that different. 

This is tough to believe.  Who can be more interesting than the people on CC that sail on Celebrity?

• Haha 6

On 1/14/2023 at 4:35 PM, terrydtx said:

If you let the MDR manager know ahead of time many of the dishes can be prepared for you glutton free.  In the Tuscan Grill they have available glutton free pasta. The first night usually your waiter in the MDR will ask if you have any food allergies.

It’s a cruise ship, it will never be glutton free.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Shep_Proudfoot said:

It’s a cruise ship, it will never be glutton free.

Actually all three lines have done a great job with this. I honestly trust cruise ships more than land restaurants. 

Edited by cgolf1

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

It's amazing, how everyone who loves cruising was exclaiming for last 2+ years - "When will we be able to cruise again!""  And now ...

Voyage, Voyage...

There are some that just love to complain.  There is one regular poster who was on my cruise who went  down to Guest Relations to complain that the ship left Port Everglades 30 minutes EARLY and wanted compensation!    

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

There are some that just love to complain.  There is one regular poster who was on my cruise who went  down to Guest Relations to complain that the ship left Port Everglades 30 minutes EARLY and wanted compensation!    

Did she miss sail away because she was taking a nap?

We decided to try Oceana for the first time and are sailing this March. The food looks incredible. When I started cruising with Celebrity, it was back in the good old Michel Roux days. How I miss that food. I do have a Summit cruise booked for July in Aqua. Has anyone heard of cut backs in Blu, or is that business as usual at this point?

Cheers

On 1/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, dreamer321 said:

I'm sailing on Beyond next Sunday, Jan. 22.  Prior to all the changes I was planning on booking a future cruise while I was on board. That's no longer the case.  I think there is better value out there right now. I was thinking of booking a Fall 24 transatlantic on Silhouette but Virgin Voyages transatlantic is now looking more appealing.  Even Silver Seas has some itineraries for solo sailors that are better priced than a comparable Celebrity cruise. 

If you book SS, be sure you understand their cancellation policy. Just a warning.

23 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

We decided to try Oceana for the first time and are sailing this March. The food looks incredible. When I started cruising with Celebrity, it was back in the good old Michel Roux days. How I miss that food. I do have a Summit cruise booked for July in Aqua. Has anyone heard of cut backs in Blu, or is that business as usual at this point?

Cheers

Just got off the Solstice and ate in Blu.Sorry to report but there are sever cutbacks in the quality and selection of food.Dinner almost every night was uninspired.Very limited selections, very little meat .One night I ordered the veal loin, only meat on the menu.I could not cut it.They told me to order the fish as a replacment since there was no meat or to order the sirlion steak from the main menu which was like shoe leather. Most nights there were very similar desserts to the main menu, desserts tasteless.

I felt bad for the waiter and manager getting the impression they would get blaimed for complaining travelers about the food.

Like I said the service was wonderful as was the wine steward who even went to find us Decoy as we had the premium package.Our room attendant in Aqua was also great.Sadly the food and the little touches that made Celebrity a step above the other mass market cruise lines is no longer a step above.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Meekos7 said:

Just got off the Solstice and ate in Blu.Sorry to report but there are sever cutbacks in the quality and selection of food.Dinner almost every night was uninspired.Very limited selections, very little meat .One night I ordered the veal loin, only meat on the menu.I could not cut it.They told me to order the fish as a replacment since there was no meat or to order the sirlion steak from the main menu which was like shoe leather. Most nights there were very similar desserts to the main menu, desserts tasteless.

I felt bad for the waiter and manager getting the impression they would get blaimed for complaining travelers about the food.

Like I said the service was wonderful as was the wine steward who even went to find us Decoy as we had the premium package.Our room attendant in Aqua was also great.Sadly the food and the little touches that made Celebrity a step above the other mass market cruise lines is no longer a step above.

Was on her on 12/26/22-1/2/23 and thought the exact same thing.  Had prime rib the last night and while it was overall good and nothing like the sirlion, it was still one of the toughest prime ribs I've encountered

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes...X, make better food or else you're going to be considered wasteful 🤣

I know right.  If the sirloin which used to be Prime Rib is like shoe leather then it gets sent back.  Now who/what is wasteful?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Actually, I don't know whether anyone noticed: Celebrity recently released spring 2025 Caribbean cruises - balcony is 60% less expensive than for the same time frame in 2024 (so, as I mentioned, we've booked both April 2024 (in March 2022 prior prices went up by 35%) and 2025 cruises).

Did you check to see if you are comparing All Included to not all included?  I saw a little star on  one of the Celebrity cruises I was checking in 2024. I clicked on the star and it added $500 to the price with the drinks, tips and wi-fi included.  

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Did you check to see if meals were included at that rate?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, mahasamatman said:

But it also has no taste by itself. It's only as good as the sauce it's served with. I'll take a ribeye over a filet any day.

rib eye and true  outside skirt steak. The latter going for $20 a pound or more .

Also the  price of eggs has affected everything on board. Reminder its not just eggs served as a meal but also eggs go into bread and pastries.  Pancakes if you do it right (not a mix).

Looking at the industry, its overleveraged as we know, but with interest rates up and the Fed reducing liquidity in the system, the highly leveraged companies are under stress.

Building two  1.3 billion cruise ships (Beyond and Ascent) and starting the expensive Icon Class might not be the best timing for Royal.

Then add in what appears to be a recession, and then iff the markets do not do well, we we, the customers as a group, be so eagar to spend a small fortune to go on upscale cruises.

My perspective is not just as a cruiser/customer, but also an investor.business person  who tries to avoid a big mistake and thus my risks are managable, not bet the farm type. .

7 hours ago, Orator said:

Based on one cruise on Oceania and 1 cruise on Viking and more than 100 on Celebrity. IMO, based on my experience and preferences I'd say that Viking is a much better fIt. Speakers were more than excellent and the same cannot be said for Oceania. The entertainment on Oceania was less than Celebrity, but it was better than Celebrity on Viking. Both had better food than Celebrity and they had prime rib that was large and flavorful. There was no cost on either line for speciality restaurants. I observed a few children on Oceania and Viking doesn't allow children under 18. This might cause controversy,, but I found more interesting passengers on both Oceania and Viking. I felt the staff on all three ships was about the same. You can look at what's included in each and I believe that the cost may not be all that different. 

Viking is still privately owned. That take pressure off to make quarterly numbers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chardonnay Char said:

Did you check to see if you are comparing All Included to not all included?  I saw a little star on  one of the Celebrity cruises I was checking in 2024. I clicked on the star and it added $500 to the price with the drinks, tips and wi-fi included.  

Yes, I compared not All included to not All included and also non-refundable to non-refundable.  As I wrote, we booked both 10-day April 2024 (Beyond) and 7-day April 2025 (Ascent), so I know details (I did comparison based on price per day).

12 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Did you check to see if meals were included at that rate?

Funny, funny!!! - No meals, no drinks, no shows, no entertainment, no pool, no hot tub, no sauna/steam room, no open deck access, no lectures, no daily activities, no dancing, no bands... just a cabin (like in a motel).

1 minute ago, kirtihk said:

Funny, funny!!! - No meals, no drinks, no shows, no entertainment, no pool, no hot tub, no sauna/steam room, no open deck access, no lectures, no daily activities, no dancing, no bands... just a cabin (like in a motel).

Don't worry, they'll leave the light on for you.

20 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Ah, I had started see Adults wearing different color wrist bands. It must indicate what amenities they paid for Green for everything, blue for just the pool, brown for lectures, red for food etc. We will all wear a rainbow on our wrists!