Port fees refunded

pmatawan

32 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

My mom and sister are on Escape, which missed GSC yesterday, and they were also refunded port fees.

Are you sure? I just talked to a friend that just got off the Escape today and they were just given a $50 OBC. No port fees refund.

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Are you sure? I just talked to a friend that just got off the Escape today and they were just given a $50 OBC. No port fees refund.

The exact size of port fees vary depending on ports - but I find that $50 OBC in compensation is a better deal than actual port fees refunded as OBC. We have currently two 11 days cruises (both for Northern Europe, where port fees often are higher), and gov.tax + port fees (9 ports on each cruise) paid per person in advance is only around $210 per person on the first cruise and $300 p.p. for the second cruise. 

I've seen it reported that, when you book, port fees are estimated. If they go up after booking, they just eat the cost and don't pass it along to you. But if you miss a port, those fees can be used to cover the fees of other underestimated port fees, or for new ports if they changed it. So it makes sense that sometimes you would get a refund and sometimes you wouldn't. If the cruise line collected more port fees than the total they paid across the trip, you can get a refund if your port is cancelled. If the cruise line paid more fees than what was collected, then you probably won't get a refund, even if you miss the port. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

The exact size of port fees vary depending on ports - but I find that $50 OBC in compensation is a better deal than actual port fees refunded as OBC. We have currently two 11 days cruises (both for Northern Europe, where port fees often are higher), and gov.tax + port fees (9 ports on each cruise) paid per person in advance is only around $210 per person on the first cruise and $300 p.p. for the second cruise. 

Yes, except there's a lot more regulations in Europe which forces NCL (and other cruise lines) to be more honest. NCL charges $80-100 in "port fees" for GSC so them skipping it and giving you $50 in OBC back heavily favors them.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

On our November TA, we missed a stop in the Azores due to weather. A day or two later, two credits of $41 each appeared on our account. Was this due to the port fees? Probably, but when someone hands me $82 I don't question it.

This happened to me on my last cruise.  We skipped GSC and had DR swapped out to Nassau.  I had a mysterious OBC on my account and didn't dare ask what it was for.  I simply cash it out.  Until I saw this thread, I just thought they made a mistake 

9 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I just got off Escape this morning.  We were given $50 on board credit as well as $61 in port fees. I thought it was a fair gesture.

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

This happened to me on my last cruise.  We skipped GSC and had DR swapped out to Nassau.  I had a mysterious OBC on my account and didn't dare ask what it was for.  I simply cash it out.  Until I saw this thread, I just thought they made a mistake 

When something similar happened to us (a credit showing up and actually no ports missed), I only questioned it after the cruise asking our TA what he thought it was for. He said most likely port fees were overcharged, hence the credit.

• Like 1

My parents just got off the Dawn the other day.  They missed Key West due to a late departure from Tampa due to the pervious cruise arriving late because of fog.  They received mysterious OBC for about $49 total.  As others said they didn't bother questioning it.  

7 hours ago, jimsig said:

My parents just got off the Dawn the other day.  They missed Key West due to a late departure from Tampa due to the pervious cruise arriving late because of fog.  They received mysterious OBC for about $49 total.  As others said they didn't bother questioning it.  

🤣, Somehow, I cannot imagine a long line of people at the purser's desk questioning an unexpected OBC.

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:49 AM, DaCruiseBug said:

Yes - they got the $50 Non-refundable OBC, as well as something like $60 in port fees refunded.