Sovereign Of The Seas

LouChamp

Aloha.  My first cruise with Royal Caribbean was on the Nordic Prince followed by countless others.  I remember vividly the

Sovereign of the Seas and curious my fellow cruise critic friends think of Royal Caribbean naming another vessel the

Sovereign of the Seas.  Also, curious if anyone has similar fond memories of past ships and experiences. How different years ago versus

today.  All the best!

• Like 1

The best ship names are all the old ones.

At least the  "Of The Seas" names.

Sovereign, Majesty, Monarch, Legend.

The newer names get worse at each new ship.

HA has been reusing old ship names.

Carnival started doing it also,

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

The best ship names are all the old ones.

At least the  "Of The Seas" names.

Sovereign, Majesty, Monarch, Legend.

The newer names get worse at each new ship.

HA has been reusing old ship names.

Carnival started doing it also,

Princess and Cunard as well

One of the new choices for Icon 2 is Queen

Kind of a bad alternative to Empress, Sovereign, Monarch, and Majesty don't ya think.😉

Makes me think of this

FB_IMG_1673816360494.thumb.jpg.caaa7adf5e2ea5432ff78699ac97e465.jpg

I kinda like Crown though, but they didn't ask me

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Princess and Cunard as well

One of the new choices for Icon 2 is Queen

Kind of a bad alternative to Empress, Sovereign, Monarch, and Majesty don't ya think.😉

Makes me think of this

FB_IMG_1673816360494.thumb.jpg.caaa7adf5e2ea5432ff78699ac97e465.jpg

I kinda like Crown though, but they didn't ask me

My parents 1977 LTD, first Car drove regular and very similar to this. Definitely was a "Boat"

57 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  My first cruise with Royal Caribbean was on the Nordic Prince followed by countless others.  I remember vividly the

Sovereign of the Seas and curious my fellow cruise critic friends think of Royal Caribbean naming another vessel the

Sovereign of the Seas.  Also, curious if anyone has similar fond memories of past ships and experiences. How different years ago versus

today.  All the best!

Sovereign, Worlds first Mega-Cruise Ship and Largest one at the time. And not a Single Balcony on her. Honeymooned on one first Sailings in 1988. At 22 and 23 was only 2 others onboard younger then us. Do miss the Skeet Shooting and Hitting Golf Balls off the open Deck...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Took driving test in 76 Caprice Classic wagon. It was long and then some

Dad was Exec at Olds/GM, took few trips with new Cars off line for him to evaluate and return. 442's, Hurst Olds, Longer trips were in Vista Cruisers and other Old's wagons. That 70's Show was me and my friends. Even my girlfriend was a Redhead..

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sovereign, Worlds first Mega-Cruise Ship and Largest one at the time. And not a Single Balcony on her. Honeymooned on one first Sailings in 1988. At 22 and 23 was only 2 others onboard younger then us. Do miss the Skeet Shooting and Hitting Golf Balls off the open Deck...

Oh my gosh, I forgot about the skeet shooting.  The FIL learned to loft his golf shot high, to catch the wind, instead of going for distance on his drive. He won all the time.  🙂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Oh my gosh, I forgot about the skeet shooting.  The FIL learned to loft his golf shot high, to catch the wind, instead of going for distance on his drive. He won all the time.  🙂

Ha, nice! Back few decades ago would see couple dozen Passengers carry on full set clubs/bag to also play on the Islands. Was a popular shore excursion on many Caribbean stops

Sovereign was the very first cruise I took in my young 20's and I've been hooked ever since. I remember being absolutely enamored by how luxurious and excited-about-life the ship made me feel. I fell in love with the ocean and waking up somewhere new along the way. All these years later, each time I get on a ship, I get the exact same feeling. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

The Sovereign Class, the last of traditional RCI cruise ships before they became amusement parks @ sea.

I am all for reusing ship names as other cruise lines do . 

Seriously 🤔 

Vision Class was after Sovereign Class

And some Radiance ships were after Voyager

38 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Sovereign was the very first cruise I took in my young 20's and I've been hooked ever since. I remember being absolutely enamored by how luxurious and excited-about-life the ship made me feel. I fell in love with the ocean and waking up somewhere new along the way. All these years later, each time I get on a ship, I get the exact same feeling. 

The Centrum elevators were a gimmick. Only traveled 3 floors and held about 6 people

• Haha 1