Europe 2024?

MikeNKim

7 hours ago, Galaxy said:

Carnival Pride looks like to be homeport at Baltimore in 2024 were she is going to have 3 greenland cruises  and other Canada Cruises. 

People are saying the Legend will be in Europe.  

• Thanks 1

I just looked on the Carnival website and Legend is booked out until 2025 except that there are blanks for May through October 2024 which, to me, indicates that as of right now they intend for it to be in Europe...

On 1/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, Eli_6 said:

I just looked on the Carnival website and Legend is booked out until 2025 except that there are blanks for May through October 2024 which, to me, indicates that as of right now they intend for it to be in Europe...

I was wondering about that too.  We are trying to book May or June 2024 and although we prefer Carnival, we were going to discuss (tonight actually) if we should just book Royal.  I'm glad you noticed that about Legend ... maybe I will give it a bit more time.

• Like 1

I suspect what is happening is Carnival is still working out the details of exactly HOW they intend to do Europe in 2024. (This many weeks doing that in Dover v. That many weeks doing this in Rome.)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I suspect what is happening is Carnival is still working out the details of exactly HOW they intend to do Europe in 2024. (This many weeks doing that in Dover v. That many weeks doing this in Rome.)

True.  Also may be considering which Baltic Ports, although they did it this summer just skipping Russia.  

Personally, I would prefer more sailings from England (although, I wish they would switch to Southampton) as we can fly direct to London.  Layovers following an international flight are always a huge PITA.  I don't know if it is the airport I fly out of (IAH) or what, but I have quite literally never once had a long-haul international flight depart on time.  This isn't even a post-pandemic issue as I had it happen before the pandemic, too.  Therefore, I always feel like I have to schedule a long layover at Heathrow between flights to account for the fact that we may land an hour or two late...which isn't fun with two kids coming off of an often overnight long-haul flight. 

I would imagine there are more flights directly to London for most US cities than there are to Rome, Barcelona, etc.  

I highly doubt Carnival will put the Firenze in Europe for a season to start her off. I think a big part of this deal is to reduce capacity over there and to show off the Costa style to Americans and try to get them to book Costa when they choose Europe and looking outside of Carnival. 

I also hope the 2024 Europe season has more Southampton sailings than Dover.

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Personally, I would prefer more sailings from England (although, I wish they would switch to Southampton) as we can fly direct to London.  Layovers following an international flight are always a huge PITA.  I don't know if it is the airport I fly out of (IAH) or what, but I have quite literally never once had a long-haul international flight depart on time.  This isn't even a post-pandemic issue as I had it happen before the pandemic, too.  Therefore, I always feel like I have to schedule a long layover at Heathrow between flights to account for the fact that we may land an hour or two late...which isn't fun with two kids coming off of an often overnight long-haul flight. 

I would imagine there are more flights directly to London for most US cities than there are to Rome, Barcelona, etc.  

Have you considered taking the layover at a U.S city rather than Heathrow?  That way after the long overnight flight to Europe, you are at your destination.   I am looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise next year that leaves out of one of the ports now used instead of Venice.   Currently, there are no non-stop flights to Venice from my home airport, which is busy O'Hare.   If that's still the case next year, I will take a layover in Newark or Philadelphia or Atlanta or even Toronto (the current options) rather than Frankfurt or Zurich or Lisbon or any number of other European cities.    

If you get to O'Hare, you can currently go direct to Rome, Barcelona, Athens, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and others.  So, I should stick cruises out of those ports LOL.  

3 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Have you considered taking the layover at a U.S city rather than Heathrow?  That way after the long overnight flight to Europe, you are at your destination.   I am looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise next year that leaves out of one of the ports now used instead of Venice.   Currently, there are no non-stop flights to Venice from my home airport, which is busy O'Hare.   If that's still the case next year, I will take a layover in Newark or Philadelphia or Atlanta or even Toronto (the current options) rather than Frankfurt or Zurich or Lisbon or any number of other European cities.    

If you get to O'Hare, you can currently go direct to Rome, Barcelona, Athens, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and others.  So, I should stick cruises out of those ports LOL.  

O'Hare would be going out of the way. I fly from Houston.  The only US airport it would make sense to fly through that would be both closer and also have more flights than IAH would be Atlanta...maybe MCO or Miami.  I think even JFK would be out of the way because I recently tried to take a flight through NY to get to Scotland and it was going to add 3 hours to my travel time and was more expensive to go IAH-JFK-EDI than IAH-LHR-EDI.   There were fewer flight options, too.  Having flown out of Atlanta before, it is a complete cluster and I would prefer to avoid it.  More passengers go through the Atlanta airport every year than any other US airport.

Plus, I often fly on British Airways Avios rewards flights and the majority of their flights go through Heathrow if you are flying from the US.  You can probably find a few direct flights, but not many.  Pre-pandemic, London Heathrow was the second busiest airport in the world in terms of international passengers and flights so it is going to be hard to beat in terms of availability of flights. 

On 1/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, EngIceDave said:

I wonder if ports like Venice may be an issue, they're cracking down on ships, as well as others who are trying to slow down tourists from trampling the places, especially post cooties

Right, I don't think any of the Carnival ships qualify for port of call in Venice, Italy due to size.

From Google...

The Italian government has banned all but the smallest cruise ships from central Venice.

...and...

Q: Why were large cruise ships banned from Venice?  A: The 25,000-tonne limit means only small passenger ferries and freight vessels can use the canal. The decision followed years of protests against cruise ships and a warning from Unesco that Venice was at risk of being put on the world heritage endangered list unless the vessels were permanently banned.

• 3 weeks later...