MSC Meraviglia, Our experience/review Jan. 2023. Free room upgrade.

jbrown111

I wanted to share our experience here in case it helps anyone else when considering MSC. 

We just returned home from a 4 night sailing on the Meraviglia. A little background on us, we are experienced cruisers with 15 sailings(most 7-8 days) under our belt before we boarded this ship. We know what to expect from cruising. This was our first MSC. We booked with wifi and drinks included in our fare.

Embarkation was smooth. Our rental car company provided us a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Our assigned embarkation time was 2-2:30pm, but we arrived around 12:30. There was hardly any lines and no one checked to see what our assigned time was. We checked in and were on board by about 1pm or so. First thoughts were the ship was very nice, modern, and clean.

We decided to try our luck with a room upgrade. We stood in guest services line for about 30 mins. We requested an upgrade and the staff said the manager was away so they could not assign us any upgrade at this time and told us to try again later. We called guest services from our room about 2 hours later and to our surprise, we were offered a complimentary balcony upgrade on deck 13 from our interior room on deck 5. We gladly accepted and went back to the desk for our new cards. The staterooms were fine, not much different than any other cruise i've been on. Our balcony was an "obstructed view" but still a very nice upgrade from our interior. This was the most positive experience of the whole cruise. 

We did not like our 9pm dinner time and we were unable to change to the early seating after asking the staff. Overall the dining experience was fine and food was pretty good. We ate the dining room every night and were able to find something both of us could eat. It was frustrating that we were told we could not order drinks other than wine and soda while dining. Our waiter told us they don't offer full bar service in the dining room which is unlike any cruise I can remember. 

The buffet was just okay and nothing more. The options are very limited and even though the buffet area is large, the food repeats over and over again around the buffet area. This is an area that definitely needs improvement. 

The most disappointing part would probably have to be the bar service. We had the "easy-plus package". I have never seen a more disorganized bar staff. No two drinks ever really tasted the same unless you got the same bartender. Bartenders would ignore you and avoid eye contact. They had no idea who was next in line and many people were frustrated about it. I waited up to 20 minutes for a drink at times and other people had walked up and got served in the meantime. The number one complaint from anyone on the trip I spoke to was about the bar services. We are not heavy drinkers but while on vacation, we do enjoy having a few cocktails and we were really not able to do so. 

Im going to start a second part so this isnt too long. 

MSC Ocean Cay was also just okay.

The waters were beautiful and the sunset was amazing. But overall the whole island felt unpolished. The food was very limited and not the best. The bar service was worse on the island than anywhere else. 50 person lines and bartenders making 1 drink at a time. Also, 2 of the staff members were yelling at each other and ready to fight at one of the bars. Very obnoxious and not what we expect. 

We ended up getting charged for a plastic pineapple cup that we did not order or ask for, but was just given to us. We complained that we were charged for this at guest services, and she got very defensive and rude and said "You expect us to pay for it?". We offered to return the cup and they did not accept. I felt as though they should be willing to refund $9 for a cup we didn't want if it means us having a more positive experience and us wanting spending more money with their cruise line in the future. They need some work on the customer service. 

We did a kayak explorer tour excursion on the island. It was very generic and we would have much rather have rented the kayak on our own for less money and paddled ourselves around the island. There was no "tour" and the guide said almost nothing the whole time. We paddled to the light house and back. Not worth it in my opinion but gave us something to do. 

The island seems unfinished. Lots of open areas that can be developed into something. They can add some mini-golf holes or a water slide or something like their cruise line competitors. Too many open unkept areas in my opinion. 

Disembarkation was smooth and very easy. Overall the weather was perfect and we still enjoyed the vacation. 

Would we cruise MSC again? I think so yes, but I would explore other options first such as Carnival or RC. I would only really return to MSC if I felt as though I was getting a great deal or the prices were much cheaper than competitors.  I give it 3 out of 5 stars. 

I hope this review is able to help someone. Feel free to ask any questions or share your experience below. 

It seems the bar problems are a common complaint lately. There’s a whole thread about it. 

Remember the days before drink packages where servers would jump on you as soon as you sat at a lounge offering to get you drinks?
That was because they made money off of every drink they delivered.

Now there’s no incentive. They already have everyone’s money so they’re not going to be in any rush to serve people.
In fact it seems like they have been told not to rush and to make passengers wait so they’re not drinking as much. Not to mention the quality of the drinks has dropped significantly. 

The drink packages are ruining the cruise experience for guests. At least it is for us. It’s not because we drink a lot just the opposite actually. But we would like to have a quality cocktail before dinner and we shouldn’t have to wait a half an hour for it. 

45 minutes ago, styles27 said:

It seems the bar problems are a common complaint lately. There’s a whole thread about it. 

Remember the days before drink packages where servers would jump on you as soon as you sat at a lounge offering to get you drinks?
That was because they made money off of every drink they delivered.

Now there’s no incentive. They already have everyone’s money so they’re not going to be in any rush to serve people.
In fact it seems like they have been told not to rush and to make passengers wait so they’re not drinking as much. Not to mention the quality of the drinks has dropped significantly. 

The drink packages are ruining the cruise experience for guests. At least it is for us. It’s not because we drink a lot just the opposite actually. But we would like to have a quality cocktail before dinner and we shouldn’t have to wait a half an hour for it. 

Yeah...and remember the days before drink packages when people complained about their bar bills and said they just wished the cruise line would charge them a little more and make the drinks "included" instead?

I guess you have to be careful of what you wish for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Yeah...and remember the days before drink packages when people complained about their bar bills and said they just wished the cruise line would charge them a little more and make the drinks "included" instead?

I guess you have to be careful of what you wish for.

No never had that problem. We don’t over indulge and never have so our bar bill has always been manageable. 
We stopped going to all inclusive resorts because of those type of people and I can see we’ll be changing the type of cruise line we choose in the future.
Not interested in cruising with idiots who drink just to get drunk. Not an attractive look on anyone. 

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

No never had that problem. We don’t over indulge and never have so our bar bill has always been manageable. 
We stopped going to all inclusive resorts because of those type of people and I can see we’ll be changing the type of cruise line we choose in the future.
Not interested in cruising with idiots who drink just to get drunk. Not an attractive look on anyone. 

Good for you, but just because you've never run into an unexpectedly high bar bill doesn't negate the fact that others have, and that this has caused others to clamor for an inclusive package instead.

Good luck to you in finding a cruise line these days that doesn't offer a drink package. I hope that you find what you're looking for.

• Like 1

My husband and I were on Meraviglia in November.  My husband ordered beer in the main dining room and had no problem getting it.  We never had a problem getting a drink when we ordered one.  We also always give extra $$ when we order a drink because of the issue with tips already included.  I honestly did not know about getting an upgrade at guest services and I will definitely try it on our upcoming cruise on Seascape...I also found the buffet food to be repetitive but it was always good.  We also had late dining and had no problem switching to early.  The island is absolutely "NOT FINISHED" but what they have accomplished is amazing and I'm not sure all that they have planned, but it is a work in progress. 

We really enjoy MSC and the hospitality of everyone we have encountered has always been pleasurable.  We even had issues at embarkation due to my passport being expired and using my resident alien card, but they solved it very quickly.  I'm sorry that you had a less than stellar experience.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paceyswife said:

I miss MSC’s old drink program.. the vouchers .

Oh yes!!! After they killed this we really mainly drink bottled water with lunch and dinner. I don't want this all inclusive at all, I want my vouchers for coffee, wine and water back.

• Like 3

As mentioned elsewhere, the only way to mostly get away from cruise drunks is to book a pricier cruise line. No hordes of hooligans on Silverseas. (I used the word "mostly" because even a Seabourn or Regent cruise can have a millionaire who is a sloppy drunk. 😵)

Affordable cruise lines make money on the inclusion and sale of drink packages. Successful businesses (and businesses with pandemic or ship-building debt) usually don't leave revenue sitting on the table.

Regarding the emptiness of Ocean Cay, it is that way by design. The island is host to a marine reserve program and Disney-ing the place up wouldn't be conducive to that cause.

• Like 8

JBrown111 

Ocean Cay will not have water slides, amusements or other fun park attractions.

What is under construction is Marine Conservation Preserve .

The island has been implementing a program for sea turtle preservation with baby turtle releases after hatching at  protected beach.

• Like 11

Thank you for taking the time to review your cruise.  The bar service situation on Meraviglia continues to be the topic of discussion as it is clear improvements are needed.  I have to say that I have read limitless (it seems) reviews about MSC experiences and you are by far the very first I've read who did not simply rave about Ocean Cay.  It is one area in which I'd have to say that I would disagree.  I like the "unpolished" look of the island because it's more natural and I really appreciate how spread out the spaces are so it doesn't feel crowded.  The food/beverage on the island may be another thing as I haven't experienced being served there outside of the YC.  

I am happy you were offered a free upgrade!  That's awesome.  Again, thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jbrown111 said:

The island seems unfinished. Lots of open areas that can be developed into something. They can add some mini-golf holes or a water slide or something like their cruise line competitors. Too many open unkept areas in my opinion. 

NO thank you to mini golf or water slides!  They are actually developing the open areas but as with most things (or shall I say "tings") in the Bahamas it takes twice as long and costs 4x as much.  I've heard rumors of a hotel, moving the Ocean House to another location, etc.  In any case, keep it like it is. For those who want Coco Cay, please go there and I'll just sit under the palm trees

• Like 10

Regarding the bar service when we were on the Meraviglia, we found the drinks to be very inconsistent.  You would think the MSC signature martini would be made the same way by every bartender.  Nope. It is one of our signature drinks they should always be made the same way.  

As for Ocean Cay, I absolutely disagree with you.  I love that stop, I found it to be the best of the private islands. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, no1talks said:

As mentioned elsewhere, the only way to mostly get away from cruise drunks is to book a pricier cruise line. No hordes of hooligans on Silverseas. (I used the word "mostly" because even a Seabourn or Regent cruise can have a millionaire who is a sloppy drunk. 😵)

Affordable cruise lines make money on the inclusion and sale of drink packages. Successful businesses (and businesses with pandemic or ship-building debt) usually don't leave revenue sitting on the table.

Regarding the emptiness of Ocean Cay, it is that way by design. The island is host to a marine reserve program and Disney-ing the place up wouldn't be conducive to that cause.

Funny you say that. I went on a Crystal cruise and there were 2 older (maybe upper 50s) couples who were obnoxious and seemed to be everywhere, we would see them all the time. Everyone was commenting on them. There's always one in the bunch 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the review.  We sail the Mera on a 4 night in march- college spring break- ugh.  I expect crowds to make most n things difficult- doesn’t seem they expand their staffing to serve larger crowds.  Considering YC upgrade but already spent more on a 4 day cruise than most 7 days with an Aurea balcony which I understands does nothing but allow us to dine at our leisure… embarkation and disembarkation are worrisome! 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 4:41 PM, phissy said:

JBrown111 

Ocean Cay will not have water slides, amusements or other fun park attractions.

What is under construction is Marine Conservation Preserve .

The island has been implementing a program for sea turtle preservation with baby turtle releases after hatching at  protected beach.

That is awesome and ill be excited to see that. I had not heard any mention of this.  

Most replies seem to mention my take on the ocean cay. I don't disagree that the island was a nice and relaxing slice of paradise.  I only mention amusement type activities since thats what most cruise lines seem to offer. My vision of the place may also be clouded due to the frustration from the bar service with 50 person lines and arguing bartenders, and generic food offerings. If MSC intends to become the worlds largest cruise line (their words), then I think some changes are in order. 

• Like 2

MSC USA press release

We are all absolutely thrilled to see Loggerhead turtles come to Ocean Cay’s beaches to lay eggs so soon. This can take many years to happen with a newly restored ecosystem and we weren’t certain that they would come or when. We hope to see many more hatchlings in future nesting seasons and that these recent arrivals return to Ocean Cay when the time comes for them to nest,” she said. 

Once the nests were discovered, the team at MSC quickly marked and monitored them to ensure they were protected under the island’s Biodiversity Management Plan. Along with turtles, the island is a coral restoration project as reefs are a vitally important marine ecosystem.  

When the island first opened in late 2019, MSC Cruises’ Executive Chairman Pierfrancesco Vago echoed the cruise line’s commitment to the environment. 

“Ocean Cay is founded on a deep commitment to ecological principles – beliefs that shape everything from how venues are built, to how the island is run, to the kinds of activities featured on the island,” he said at the time

• Like 10

15 hours ago, L1211 said:

Thanks for the review.  We sail the Mera on a 4 night in march- college spring break- ugh.  I expect crowds to make most n things difficult- doesn’t seem they expand their staffing to serve larger crowds.  Considering YC upgrade but already spent more on a 4 day cruise than most 7 days with an Aurea balcony which I understands does nothing but allow us to dine at our leisure… embarkation and disembarkation are worrisome! 

Which sailing? We are March 12 in the middle of spring break. In Aurea balcony as well. I think we get a special line for embarkation. 

On 1/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, KarimaJ said:

Which sailing? We are March 12 in the middle of spring break. In Aurea balcony as well. I think we get a special line for embarkation. 

Been watching YouTube videos kn embarkation nightmares. I think the priority line doesn’t help outside to get through security.  Maybe some benefit in the terminal.  Worried about lines to disembark too…

To the OP and anyone else with info:

Are stateroom upgrades typically offered onboard?  Sailing MSC for the first time this Sunday, and my experience with RCL, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity has been that no stateroom upgrades are possible onboard. 

Would appreciate any insight, as perhaps MSC does things differently? Thank you.

16 hours ago, egurbi said:

To the OP and anyone else with info:

Are stateroom upgrades typically offered onboard?  Sailing MSC for the first time this Sunday, and my experience with RCL, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity has been that no stateroom upgrades are possible onboard. 

Would appreciate any insight, as perhaps MSC does things differently? Thank you.

I'd agree but have seen a couple posts here from reputable people who have said they have upgraded on board MSC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dexddd said:

I'd agree but have seen a couple posts here from reputable people who have said they have upgraded on board MSC.

We were upgraded onboard but, this was pre Covid.

On Meraviglia , in the Mediterranean. 
We had YC deluxe cabin down hall from RS. Day after boarding, RS was empty and being serviced . I asked if I could enter and take pics . Butler informed me that it was vacant for the week . Asked if we wanted to upgrade. After contacting corporate, Concierge offered it to us for $200. 
We agreed and got hooked -  been sailing  RS ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

Always need to keep in mind that 3 and/or 4 day cruises are often used as "booze cruises" for the younger passengers! It's a cheap vacation with "free booze". We will be on the Mera in June, and have been 4 times previously. Only once in YC, but always 7+ days, and have never had a problem getting a drink. If I have to wait a bit, no problem, I'll get one sooner or later! After all, I have all day 😁! Enjoy!

• Like 1