How easy is it to do the Flam railway on your own?

Presto2

We are going to Norway in May and the excursions for this one are sold out.

Just wondering how easy it is to book a ticket and do it ourselves from the ship.

My friend coming with us is classed as disabled so please take that in to consideration if you can.

Many thanks everyone

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are going to Norway in May and the excursions for this one are sold out.

Just wondering how easy it is to book a ticket and do it ourselves from the ship.

My friend coming with us is classed as disabled so please take that in to consideration if you can.

Many thanks everyone

I would check the website for the Flam railway. It is easy to do for able bodied people, the other thing to consider is how many ships are in port the same day as this is a very popular tour.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would check the website for the Flam railway. It is easy to do for able bodied people, the other thing to consider is how many ships are in port the same day as this is a very popular tour.

How about disabled people who have some walking issues but who can walk with a walking stick?

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

How about disabled people who have some walking issues but who can walk with a walking stick?

If you are docked at the end of the pier near the entrance to the railway you would probably be OK. Check the website and see if there is any availability and what it says about disabilities, when we last did it it was noticeable that some of the carriage steps were awkward but with a bit of help no deal breaker.

• Thanks 1

It is very easy to book this. If any tickets are available. I don't know about special conditions for disabilities. I would advise you to be careful if non are available. This is a very popular excursion and there is quite a rush when the gate is opened

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. My friend would be ok for the above.

Am off to check other ships but hoping just Britannia at the moment 🙂

PS I can't believe I am posting this --- it seems soooooooooooo long since I felt this excited about going back on a cruise and sorting stuff! LOVE Britannia so it will be like coming home. I feel like we've got our cruising mojo back after too long !!!

• Like 7

We too have been looking into this as we call at Flam in September and the excursion is also sold out. I have looked at their website and it says that you can book wheelchair spaces on the train, which we will need to do as my mother is in a wheelchair.

• Thanks 1

You will probably need to get tickets in advance, probably not available on the day you are in port.  

You also need tickets both ways from where ever you decide to turn around.  If I recall correctly the excursions usually get off at Vatnahalsen and catch a train back about an hour or so later.

As others have commented relatively easy as it isn't far from the train station BUT do pre book seats before you go as I doubt you would be able to buy seats on the day.....especially if you have mobility " issues"....it is a very very popular trip

• Thanks 1

You can be glad the P&O excursion is sold out,its a rip off.

Book at the ticket office or online for £40 round trip.

Book with P&O for around £70 and the only difference is you get a cup of coffee and a piece of cake.

Not for the less fit but you can book one way to Myrdal then hire a bike and cycle back down yourself,,,very exilerating.

• Thanks 1

If you have time, there is a micro brewery close to the station and the ship (depending on where the ship is parked). It is absolutely amazing inside although the beer is priced for Norway prices so you may not want to stay there for long. I am sure Mr Presto2 will take a keen interest.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just checked and all time slots until 4pm are all sold out 😞 Oh well, you live and learn --- looks like it is the micro brewery then !!!!

P&O would Have block booked the seats for their excursions months ago and later train seats would have been hoovered up by independent travellers, as its the main highlight of this port.

Your only hope is to try and get on the wait list in the chance that someone cancels the excursion or their cruise. I believe that the railway now sells refundable tickets but assume that cancellations would be very last minute and if a ship does not dock. If you are on the wait list once on board they should be able to tell you what number you are in the queue.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Just checked and all time slots until 4pm are all sold out 😞 Oh well, you live and learn --- looks like it is the micro brewery then !!!!

Where did you check? - have you tried  vy.no or Norway’s Best.

At Vy you are not be able to book more than 120 days in advance.

Be ready to book first day tickets are available at Vy.

Britannia is the only ship in port that day - might a possible to book tickets at Vy. 

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Where did you check? - have you tried  vy.no or Norway’s Best.

At Vy you are not be able to book more than 120 days in advance.

Be ready to book first day tickets are available at Vy.

Britannia is the only ship in port that day - might a possible to book tickets at Vy. 

Flam railway is very HARD to get when there is a ship in port because the cruise line would take just about every available schedules that fits the ship time.  Example Sky Princess will be in Flam on August 22 all 5 early departures SOLD OUT (Norway' Best) some of our cruise mates got 8:25 when it opens for booking in December but it sold out quickly.

51 minutes ago, ChattTenn said:

Example Sky Princess will be in Flam on August 22 all 5 early departures SOLD OUT (Norway' Best)

Two ships in port (also Borealis) that day  -  I think there might be available tickets at Vy - check for availability at Vy 120 days before arrival.

• 11 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, Presto2 said:

Thanks everyone. Looks like we will be doing this on our own then 🙂

Another excursion sorted - more or less done now. Just hoping the sky lift one is open when we go.

What did you decide to do on your own?