Covid on cruiseships!!!

bazzaw

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If the mask you were supplied with was anything like the ones that were supplied on Westerdam then I'm not surprised you ripped it off as soon as you could. The Westerdam ones were extremely uncomfortable - a weird shape and the ear elastics were too short so both pulled the mask uncomfortably tight as well as hurting the ears. Luckily we had an ample supple of our own very comfortable P2 masks.

I didn't find them uncomfortable. Different faces I suppose.

One size doesn't necessarily fit all but will fit some. I did take my own but saved them - not sure for what.

My only problem with masks is getting them tangled with my hearing aids.

We were on P&O Pacific Adventure over the weekend, 3 night Comedy cruise.

No one wearing masks on our regional flight Port Macquarie to Sydney, we did as we had a day/night in Sydney prior to boarding and had not done our pre cruise RAT yet.

50% of passengers wearing masks at OPT, once onboard I probably saw 2 mask wearing people for the 3 days, crowded lifts, bars etc, the cruise was fully booked so lot's of people.

Disembarkation the same, no masks. We are not mask wearers but will do if required.

We did our RATS at the hotel, photo, ID, time etc, not even looked at.

Had to do verifly and show the green tick.

We went with no expectations of P&O, our expectations were met haha! but that's for another thread.

Edited by cheznandy

50 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

No one wearing masks on our regional flight Port Macquarie to Sydney, we did as we had a day/night in Sydney prior to boarding and had not done our pre cruise RAT yet.

50% of passengers wearing masks at OPT, once onboard I probably saw 2 mask wearing people for the 3 days, crowded lifts, bars etc, the cruise was fully booked so lot's of people.

Disembarkation the same, no masks. We are not mask wearers but will do if required.

We went with no expectations of P&O, our expectations were met haha! but that's for another thread.

Hi Chez, Can’t wait to hear about P&O. We were tempted, but finally went  with a cheap Celebrity cruise. I have had some great P&O cruises many years ago, but definitely interested in your thoughts. I must say though a Comedy cruise doesn’t sound like me. 

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

I heard this somewhere last week which said it was effective immediate although it says on website that it was posted yesterday.  Applies to all Carnival Co ships (P&0, Princess etc)

We did Pacific Explorer over New Year and mask wearing was around 50% despite being required - no one policed it and many of the entertainment staff did not wear masks.

Our next cruise is next week and it is 13 nights to Fiji so mask wearing here we come!!!

MASKS AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING

VOYAGES 9 DAYS OR LESS

Masks are not required on board during your cruise. However, masks will be required during the entire embarkation and debarkation process in the home port. Additionally, we recommend guests wear masks in public indoor spaces, outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained and on water shuttles.

VOYAGES 10 DAYS OR MORE

Masks are required in public indoor spaces (unless eating and drinking or in your stateroom), outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained, during the entire embarkation and debarkation process, when on buses or water shuttles (where applicable), and while indoors on any shore excursion.

23 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I heard this somewhere last week which said it was effective immediate although it says on website that it was posted yesterday.  Applies to all Carnival Co ships (P&0, Princess etc)

We did Pacific Explorer over New Year and mask wearing was around 50% despite being required - no one policed it and many of the entertainment staff did not wear masks.

Our next cruise is next week and it is 13 nights to Fiji so mask wearing here we come!!!

VOYAGES 9 DAYS OR LESS

Masks are not required on board during your cruise. However, masks will be required during the entire embarkation and debarkation process in the home port. Additionally, we recommend guests wear masks in public indoor spaces, outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained and on water shuttles.

VOYAGES 10 DAYS OR MORE

Masks are required in public indoor spaces (unless eating and drinking or in your stateroom), outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained, during the entire embarkation and debarkation process, when on buses or water shuttles (where applicable), and while indoors on any shore excursion.

Yes, I think the key words are " required" and "recommended"

If it was required on our embarkation, it was not enforced and those unmasked were not questioned.

Won't get into the debate of efficacy of vaccines/boosters mask wearing etc, we didn't mask up after boarding or our flight home,  home three days and all good so far!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cheznandy said:

That photo is very rarely looked at, and even then more likely from someone holding it up in front of them to get a bit of feigned interest.

More so, I think they want that photo taken to support a positive test. After all, they are losing passengers they can't replace and giving them a full credit based on phone call. I think for anyone calling their covid hotline, they could be asked to email that photo.

I hope the comedy was funny.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

One size doesn't necessarily fit all but will fit some. I did take my own but saved them - not sure for what.

Ha ha….I know the problem…add glasses and i5 is even worse.👵

11 hours ago, Ondine said:

VOYAGES 9 DAYS OR LESS

VOYAGES 10 DAYS OR MORE

For the longer cruises it only says "required ".

No where does it say that the masks must be worn.

😁

12 hours ago, resordanis said:

thoughts. I must say though a Comedy cruise doesn’t sound like me. 

My observation of a P&O Comedy cruise from years ago - so-called comedian uses the F word - everybody laughs loudly - rinse and repeat for the next 2 hours. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

My observation of a P&O Comedy cruise from years ago - so-called comedian uses the F word - everybody laughs loudly - rinse and repeat for the next 2 hours. 

It is hit & miss. Some are just really funny people. 

Alas, you can't book knowing who the acts will be.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

It is hit & miss. Some are just really funny people. 

Alas, you can't book knowing who the acts will be.

Carnival was the same. Some comedians very funny others just trying to hard and fell flat.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, lyndarra said:

On 2/1/2023 at 4:53 PM, cheznandy said:

I can agree with that Lyndarra, between the hearing aid, glasses and earrings it is a tangle!

These might be of use. My friends are nurses and use them as they also wear safety glasses. I started using them in summer when I'm wearing sunglasses with my mask. (Yes unlike Bazzaw myself and everyone I personally know still wear masks voluntarily whenever we leave our homes. To protect ourselves and to protect those around us who may be vulnerable). 
PS link is just a random one from google. If you do a search for "face mask straps" "face mask extenders" you will find loads of cheap ones on Amazon or eBay. I imagine they are in chemists too. 

https://www.earsaver.com.au/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

These might be of use. My friends are nurses and use them as they also wear safety glasses. I started using them in summer when I'm wearing sunglasses with my mask. (Yes unlike Bazzaw myself and everyone I personally know still wear masks voluntarily whenever we leave our homes. To protect ourselves and to protect those around us who may be vulnerable). 
PS link is just a random one from google. If you do a search for "face mask straps" "face mask extenders" you will find loads of cheap ones on Amazon or eBay. I imagine they are in chemists too. 

https://www.earsaver.com.au/

At the start of the pandemic I found that the ear loops on my mask would get tangled with my hearing aids, causing the aids to fly off when I took the mask off. When I also wore glasses on occasions, the situation was even worse. I made a strap out of skin-coloured fabric with elastic and fastened at the back with a button/buttonhole to I don't have to pull it over my head. I have found it fantastic. I referred to it as my 'face mask extender' but my daughter calls it 'Mum's strap-on'. Somehow I think that term usually refers to something else.🙂

Recently I saw a couple of headwaiters on the Coral Princess with the 'earsavers' as shown in the link quoted by PerfectlyPerth. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Sorry, bazzaw, you had this experience, when I'd read previously you were so looking forward to it.  I wondered if there were covid cases aboard, because the Captain certainly wasn't into sharing.  We had the same experience on Oceania last year, but only had to isolate for 2 days as I was diagnosed near the very end of the cruise.  When we disembarked in Portsmouth, we were told to mix freely in the community if we wished, because people in the UK "no longer get hysterical about covid, as you Australians seem to do".   I wasn't quick enough to tell them it got rid of their PM (before Liz Truss made a very brief appearance).  Isolation whilst infectious is, in my opinion, a socially responsible thing to do.  There are vulnerable and immunocompromised souls amongst us.  If they were family members or friends, you'd want them to be protected.  A cruise ship is a confined microcosm of society, minus most of the younger, stronger, members.  Our parents lived through the agony and heartache of world wars.  A few days in isolation is not the end of our world.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Sorry, bazzaw, you had this experience, when I'd read previously you were so looking forward to it.  I wondered if there were covid cases aboard, because the Captain certainly wasn't into sharing.  We had the same experience on Oceania last year, but only had to isolate for 2 days as I was diagnosed near the very end of the cruise.  When we disembarked in Portsmouth, we were told to mix freely in the community if we wished, because people in the UK "no longer get hysterical about covid, as you Australians seem to do".   I wasn't quick enough to tell them it got rid of their PM (before Liz Truss made a very brief appearance).  Isolation whilst infectious is, in my opinion, a socially responsible thing to do.  There are vulnerable and immunocompromised souls amongst us.  If they were family members or friends, you'd want them to be protected.  A cruise ship is a confined microcosm of society, minus most of the younger, stronger, members.  Our parents lived through the agony and heartache of world wars.  A few days in isolation is not the end of our world.

Well said, Linda. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, having read recent posts re mask wearing on board, I am thoroughly confused as to what I should do. I am cruising on the Majestic Princess in February for 11 nights to Qld from Sydney.

5 days ago, I received an update stating that masks must be worn indoors (except when eating/drinking etc.) and also outside if in large gatherings. Also on embarkation and disembarkation.

If this is still correct, it means that traveling by cruise ship is now the only method of transport in this country that requires the mandatory wearing of a mask. Jeez, I don't have to wear one in my Doctors' surgery anymore!!

Surely these mandates are discriminatory. We all know about the Ruby Princess debacle, but isn't it time we all got over that? I will still cruise, but it is lessening my enjoyment of the onboard experience. If I simply refused to wear one onboard I'm sure the crew would say nothing. I would just have to get used to the glares of other passengers I guess.

When will it all end??

• Like 1

I did the Jan NZ 12-night cruise on Grand Princess and we had daily reminders that wearing a mask in public areas except when seated to eat and drink was required, not a request, and my perception was that this was largely obeyed. There were a number of coded messages suggesting a degree of Covid on board. As to discriminatory, ships are private property not public transport and they make the rules. No argument that mask wearing does reduce one's enjoyment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

So, having read recent posts re mask wearing on board, I am thoroughly confused as to what I should do. I am cruising on the Majestic Princess in February for 11 nights to Qld from Sydney.

5 days ago, I received an update stating that masks must be worn indoors (except when eating/drinking etc.) and also outside if in large gatherings. Also on embarkation and disembarkation.

If this is still correct, it means that traveling by cruise ship is now the only method of transport in this country that requires the mandatory wearing of a mask. Jeez, I don't have to wear one in my Doctors' surgery anymore!!

Surely these mandates are discriminatory. We all know about the Ruby Princess debacle, but isn't it time we all got over that? I will still cruise, but it is lessening my enjoyment of the onboard experience. If I simply refused to wear one onboard I'm sure the crew would say nothing. I would just have to get used to the glares of other passengers I guess.

When will it all end??

You are correct on all counts,  you are required to wear a mask on board. It is one 9fvthe few places where it is mandatory, it is discrimination, and it is because of the Ruby. And chances are there will be no enforcement of wearing masks aboard, and there will be judgement by others, whether you wear one or not.

It will end when the cruiselines can safely say there is no covid  aboard, which may take years as they have agreed with the various governments to uphold the protocols.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

When will it all end??

Yes, that is still current as of today, and is being risk managed ship by ship. Our state governments stopped mandating masks in cruise terminals and on cruise ships in October. We cruised on Majestic's first cruise of the season in October, and no masks were required. We both came home with covid, and the following cruise had 800 cases aboard, a new world record for an infectious disease on a cruise ship.

Things are winding back. I have read that the current Coral cruise has done away the day 3 test. P&O and Carnival are only asking for masks indoors on their longer cruises. The NSW page only has occasional ships reporting as tier 1, and there hasn't been a tier 2 in months. Less covid on land and less at sea.

These mandates were cookie-cuttered from the US' CDC cruising framework that had nothing to do with Ruby. Only our media and a few officials that had their pants pulled down are the only ones hanging on to the Ruby debacle.

When will it end? Covid was supposed to end in 2020, wasn't it. Masks are a cruise by cruise, ship by ship approach from the cruise line. There are no mandates. If there is no coughing, there will be no glares. There is nowhere I can think you will need to wear a mask outdoors and they don't count heads on the deckchairs to determine if it is crowded.

Just now, arxcards said:

Yes, that is still current as of today, and is being risk managed ship by ship. Our state governments stopped mandating masks in cruise terminals and on cruise ships in October. We cruised on Majestic's first cruise of the season in October, and no masks were required. We both came home with covid, and the following cruise had 800 cases aboard, a new world record for an infectious disease on a cruise ship.

Things are winding back. I have read that the current Coral cruise has done away the day 3 test. P&O and Carnival are only asking for masks indoors on their longer cruises. The NSW page only has occasional ships reporting as tier 1, and there hasn't been a tier 2 in months. Less covid on land and less at sea.

These mandates were cookie-cuttered from the US' CDC cruising framework that had nothing to do with Ruby. Only our media and a few officials that had their pants pulled down are the only ones hanging on to the Ruby debacle.

When will it end? Covid was supposed to end in 2020, wasn't it. Masks are a cruise by cruise, ship by ship approach from the cruise line. There are no mandates. If there is no coughing, there will be no glares. There is nowhere I can think you will need to wear a mask outdoors and they don't count heads on the deckchairs to determine if it is crowded.

I guess we take a while to catch up because CDC have revoked all instructions for cruise ships. Surely next season we will be done. Was very unwell from a flu caught on a cruise ship - pre Covid - no one cared yet I suspect for someone who isn't fit then that would have resulted in a serious illness for them. 

22 hours ago, bonox55 said:

If you don’t like the rules for your sailing maybe you should call in to Princess and ask them to cancel your cruise based on that… But I guess a full refund would depend on what rules were in place when you booked vs the rules now.

Probably could wangle a full refund if the rules are more restrictive now. But if they aren’t, then that’s just evidence you didn’t read the fine print when you booked… 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bonox55 said:

Mask requirements on a cruise are not discriminatory. If you don't like the terms and conditions, don't book the cruise!

We have just completed 11 days on the Coral Princess and the crew were definitely enforcing the mask requirement. Compliance was quite good overall. It was also pleasing to see hand washing enforced at the buffet, and plenty of sanitiser stations around the ship.

• Like 3