Lost ID question

Inkah

My daughters friend is going with us on a cruise leaving tomorrow in New Orleans— she can’t find her drivers license. She does have a phone of her license on her phone— will they accept that and let her board? She has her birth certificate and social security card. Anyone have any experience?

Edited by Inkah

• Inkah changed the title to Lost ID question

Under the documentation section on the carnival site.

In addition to the birth certificate

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only
  • Like 1

doubt it, a photo of your ID isn't valid to buy a lighter at Walmart so I don't see how it would be good enough to get you on a ship that visits a foreign country.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Inkah said:

Whew— her boyfriend found her ID and is bringing it to us in New Orleans tonight — thank you all for the replies 

Good thing he found it and is getting it to her tonight.  She would almost certainly NOT have been able to board the ship tomorrow without it.

• Like 1

The rules say that one needs a photo ID coupled with a birth certificate in order to board a closed loop cruise, and this is the expectation. What people fail to take into consideration is that exceptions are made to rules all of the time and sometimes exceptions are made for people who for whatever reason don't have exactly what's required, such as in the OP. One needs to remember what the documents are being provided for- to prove identity and citizenship. A photo of a license in this regard has the information necessary for CBP to verify the passenger's identity through the government databases that are checked while the cruise is ongoing. The bottom line is that what the OP's friend had might just work to board a closed loop cruise (I am glad that the license has been found in this case). I know that if I were in the same position I would go to the port with what I had and hope for the best. It might not work, boarding might be denied, but it also might work. Of course if I still had to pay a lot of money to get to the port then I would have to weigh that consideration, but if transportation had already been paid for (which is normally the case for us) there would be nothing to lose. Best case we go on the cruise, worse case we have a vacation in the departure port.

OP, that first drink of the day will taste extra sweet.

13 hours ago, Inkah said:

Whew— her boyfriend found her ID and is bringing it to us in New Orleans tonight — thank you all for the replies 

12 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Good thing he found it and is getting it to her tonight.  She would almost certainly NOT have been able to board the ship tomorrow without it.

Could answer this question quite simply by just producing the paperwork she originally had with her and see what happens. If told that won’t work, she has the ID in hand. Just don’t present it as a “trick” to see what would happen. It is a legitimate question since it was a real scenario. Only takes a minute to be denied or accepted.

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Could answer this question quite simply by just producing the paperwork she originally had with her and see what happens. If told that won’t work, she has the ID in hand. Just don’t present it as a “trick” to see what would happen. It is a legitimate question since it was a real scenario. Only takes a minute to be denied or accepted.

Really? The people checking ids are just doing their job. They do not need passengers playing games with them to find out what might work. And there are other passengers being held up in line by a stunt like this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Actually the check in folks would need to get a supervisor involved in order to get a definitive answer and quite possibly the Ship's Documentation Officer as well. Not something that I would do.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Really? The people checking ids are just doing their job. They do not need passengers playing games with them to find out what might work. And there are other passengers being held up in line by a stunt like this.

That is specifically why I said not to present as a trick (playing games). Just seeking information. Takes about 30 seconds.

43 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Agreed, they have to process thousands of guests in just a few hours. It's not the time for experiments to see what you can get away with.

Who mentioned getting away with anything. Quite the opposite.

19 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually the check in folks would need to get a supervisor involved in order to get a definitive answer and quite possibly the Ship's Documentation Officer as well. Not something that I would do.

A simple “yes this will work” or “I’ll have to check with a supervisor” would answer my question posed. About 30 seconds. True, you don’t know what someone down the line might answer but you know if it is immediately accepted or not. That was my point when I said it was quick.

Judging from the number of times a similar question has been posed on here, the quick answer could help some people if it was a yes. Even if the answer was that someone higher up needed to get involved, the answer was not a flat NO.

Still not a reason to not make every possible effort to have your ducks in a row but just might save someone a few minutes of stress.

54 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That is specifically why I said not to present as a trick (playing games). Just seeking information. Takes about 30 seconds.

Who mentioned getting away with anything. Quite the opposite.

A simple “yes this will work” or “I’ll have to check with a supervisor” would answer my question posed. About 30 seconds. True, you don’t know what someone down the line might answer but you know if it is immediately accepted or not. That was my point when I said it was quick.

Judging from the number of times a similar question has been posed on here, the quick answer could help some people if it was a yes. Even if the answer was that someone higher up needed to get involved, the answer was not a flat NO.

Still not a reason to not make every possible effort to have your ducks in a row but just might save someone a few minutes of stress.

There is no reason to not show the proper id when you have it. Oh, someone asked in a newsgroup and I just wanted to know to help others just does not cut it as a reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Agreed, they have to process thousands of guests in just a few hours. It's not the time for experiments to see what you can get away with.

Right if someone feels entitled to do a stunt like this, why not everyone? Thirty seconds times thousands of passengers now adds up to hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1