New to Siverseas too! Packing advice

travelfan20

6 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Black tie and long gowns are not the dress code requirements. Please check SS website for actual requirements. Let us not scare off potential SS cruisers.

8 hours ago, Spotbattman said:

These days there are very few places where we can dress up. I wear a long dress and my husband wears black tie. If we book a SS cruise we know this is the requirement. 

Black tie might not be the dress code, but if people enjoy the chance to dress up, go for it!  I have a wardrobe full of lovely dresses I have not worn for many, many years and am looking forward to my Silversea cruises this year to bring them all out of their dust covers.

• Like 2

We are considering our first SS cruise on its newest ship, Silver Nova, in November and are wondering if SS crossings any less "formal"?

We generally cruise Seabourn as we prefer the inclusive small ship experience with the exception of crossings where, until recently, we enjoyed Celebrity's solstice class ships as they offered more room to move about, a great Sunset Bar and generally sail much less full at great rates, almost a different cruiseline altogether as compared to their Caribbean/Med itineraries (never again for us).

Now that has changed as Celebrity is asking more for less, so to speak and we are looking at other options for our usual November crossing.  Sojourn departing from Lisbon was naturally our first choice but always wanted to try SS and sailing the newest in their fleet is quite intriguing.

Edited by cadburysmom

9 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

We are considering our first SS cruise on its newest ship, Silver Nova, in November and are wondering if SS crossings any less "formal"?

We generally cruise Seabourn as we prefer the inclusive small ship experience with the exception of crossings where, until recently, we enjoyed Celebrity's solstice class ships as they offered more room to move about, a great Sunset Bar and generally sail much less full at great rates, almost a different cruiseline altogether as compared to their Caribbean/Med itineraries (never again for us).

Now that has changed as Celebrity is asking more for less, so to speak and we are looking at other options for our usual November crossing.  Sojourn departing from Lisbon was naturally our first choice but always wanted to try SS and sailing the newest in their fleet is quite intriguing.

Traditionally, from the original days of Cunard, Atlantic crossings have been more formal, not less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On formal night, my DH wore a dark blazer with grey or black slacks and tie with dress loafers (the tassel kind). On formal nights, men who don’t have a jacket and tie will be turned away from some venues.  On informal nights, khakis, a polo shirt and jacket are fine. 

My DH is a minimalist packer and he had no issues. Have yours bring one dark jacket, 2 pair of pressed trousers (at least one dark), 2 dress shirts, 2-3 polo shirts, one tie and one pair of dressier shoes for a 10-night cruise. You can do laundry and dry cleaning. 

Women have more flexibility.  Everything from slacks with a dressy top to a ball gown works for formal nights. What you’d wear on most lines for “formal night” works for informal on SS.  

SS is definitely dressier than most lines.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

Are men permitted to remove their jackets during the meal and place on back of their dining chair? Thank you!

On my last two cruises on the Moon and the Dawn in 2022, the answer is yes.

Edited by A Tucson Guy
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Are men permitted to remove their jackets during the meal and place on back of their dining chair? Thank you!

In my experience, once you enter appropriately dressed no one will question you again except of course a few members here. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, gcornell said:

In my experience, once you enter appropriately dressed no one will question you again except of course a few members here. 😉

He might even twirl it around in the air a few times before placing it on the back of the chair. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The difference between a long dress and a gown is that  many long simple dresses can be rolled tightly & packed much easier than a gown. I can fit two long dresses in a zip lock bag! They can be dressed up easily with formal accessories. 

• Like 2

I bought a pair of black slacks (found some "travel" ones that seem to not require ironing) and packed a pair of black shoes.

Decades ago I chose a job that did not require good shoes or a business suit. However I did have several good sports coats. I took one. I also took a tie and actually wore it one night. First time I wore a tie in many many years.

The only reasons to REMOVE a sports coat are (1) too hot or (2) an accident.

Edited by pavementends
  • Haha 1

So my question on asking what is “permitted” (e.g. what is allowed, not who should and could and whether or not he is just a man or a gentlemen) is a ridiculous, defiant and a babyish refusal to conform to a dress code? Ouch. We are brand new to SS. Thanks for sharing the general attitude and thanks to those who took the time to answer the question. 

We have zero issues with jackets and due to having brain cancer, twice, my husband does run hot in layers. Which is why he might want to drape his coat on a chair during his meal if that was permitted. I hope it won’t spoil someone’s dinner. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

So my question on asking what is “permitted” (e.g. what is allowed, not who should and could and whether or not he is just a man or a gentlemen) is a ridiculous, defiant and a babyish refusal to conform to a dress code? Ouch. We are brand new to SS. Thanks for sharing the general attitude and thanks to those who took the time to answer the question. 

We have zero issues with jackets and due to having brain cancer, twice, my husband does run hot in layers. Which is why he might want to drape his coat on a chair during his meal if that was permitted. I hope it won’t spoil someone’s dinner. 

Sorry to hear that, hope all is well and you enjoy your trip.  Don’t worry about the judgement here. That’s the internet!  In my experience it does not carry over to the enjoyment of the trip.  We felt the same when we first starting bringing our kids with us on SS but the actual experience with others guests on board was great. In fact, someone wrote a review on CC and mentioned how they enjoyed seeing our kids have a good time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Ignore the internet Fashion Police. You'll have a great time and fit in just fine.  On a trip a few years ago a one of the gents forgot his jacket in the room. It was a long expedition day and we were rushing to dinner. SS provided a jacket for the quick trip to the table and the jacket was then put on the chair. The world did not end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

From my experience, the dress code is much stricter on this board than on the board of the ship.. my estimate would be that at least 50% of men remove their jackets during dinner, and nobody seems to care too much. 

Personally I could never understand why some people care so much what other people wear..

• Like 4

From the Gentleman's Gazette:

"Or here’s another scenario: A person has paid handsomely for a cruise on an upscale line renowned for its elegance. It may even be one of those cruise lines that go so far as to explain to passengers that on designated formal nights they are expected to remain properly attired for the duration of the evening, not just until the dishes are cleared away. On said formal night the person marvels at the beautifully decorated dining room with handsomely attired fellow guests enjoying professional service, fine wine, and delectable food. Then these guys are spotted at the next table:

Cruise passengers on formal night, under the mistaken impression that formal is just casual with a bow tie. Cruise passengers on formal night, under the mistaken impression that formal is just casual with a bow tie.

Voilà: the formal dinner now resembles more of a wait staff party.

Don’t be these guys.

Sure, your fellow guests may smile politely and pretend not to notice but the fact of the matter is that you are the visual equivalent of fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard.

And for what purpose? Short of providing the fairer sex with protection from excessive air-conditioning, or finding yourself on the verge of a heat stroke, there is no excuse for discarding your tuxedo jacket. (Even in the case of the latter, there’s no reason you can’t step outside instead.)  After all, if comfort trumps consideration then why stop with the jacket? You’ll feel even cooler with your tie undone and collar unbuttoned. Has that good food got you feeling stuffed? Go ahead and pop open that waistband. Are your dogs barking? Ditch the shoes.

Whether male or female, the principle is the same: show a little sophistication and consideration and everyone wins."

"

51 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

"Or here’s another scenario: A person has paid handsomely for a cruise on an upscale line renowned for its elegance. It may even be one of those cruise lines that go so far as to explain to passengers that on designated formal nights they are expected to remain properly attired for the duration of the evening, not just until the dishes are cleared away. On said formal night the person marvels at the beautifully decorated dining room with handsomely attired fellow guests enjoying professional service, fine wine, and delectable food. Then these guys are spotted at the next table:

Cruise passengers on formal night, under the mistaken impression that formal is just casual with a bow tie. Cruise passengers on formal night, under the mistaken impression that formal is just casual with a bow tie.

Don’t be these guys.

Sure, your fellow guests may smile politely and pretend not to notice but the fact of the matter is that you are the visual equivalent of fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard.

And for what purpose? Short of providing the fairer sex with protection from excessive air-conditioning, or finding yourself on the verge of a heat stroke, there is no excuse for discarding your tuxedo jacket. (Even in the case of the latter, there’s no reason you can’t step outside instead.)  After all, if comfort trumps consideration then why stop with the jacket? You’ll feel even cooler with your tie undone and collar unbuttoned. Has that good food got you feeling stuffed? Go ahead and pop open that waistband. Are your dogs barking? Ditch the shoes.

Whether male or female, the principle is the same: show a little sophistication and consideration and everyone wins."

"

As I do not subscribe to that  publication, please provide date and page.

(As the photo is in color I'm guessing that it was after 1950?)

20 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

So my question on asking what is “permitted” (e.g. what is allowed, not who should and could and whether or not he is just a man or a gentlemen) is a ridiculous, defiant and a babyish refusal to conform to a dress code?

No, not at all.

20 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

I hope it won’t spoil someone’s dinner. 

It won't.  Your husband has my best wishes, and I think he is lucky to have someone looking out for him like you.

I'm hoping you saw this quote (below) in the discussion above.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:30 AM, pavementends said:

The only reasons to REMOVE a sports coat are (1) too hot or (2) an accident.

as I & apparently pavementends see it, no one would question the coat being removed if your husband was too warm.  

In the groups I'm usually found, no one would notice anyway.  Running out of Tiki - well, that would be a serious thing 😉.

Many of stumblefoot's comments have a bit of tongue-in-cheek to them.  My guess is, he would be the first to protectively step in front of you and your husband to deal with a critic should anyone call you out under the circumstances.

I hope you have a great Silversea cruise, and many more to ollow.

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Don’t be these guys.

"

Removing a jacket doesn’t make a person less sophisticated. But paying too much attention to clothes does.

• Like 3