Tipping when gratuities are included

baypeople

We were in a suite on Equinox recently and wanted to tip certain folks a bit extra for very good service.  However, we have no idea if we chose appropriate amounts.  I'm looking for suggestions for both suites and Aqua, especially when paid gratuities are part of the all inclusive packages.  All comments and suggestions are welcome!

• Haha 1

The normal disclaimer are made about tipping being a personal decision.

First off yes you have paid tips in advance as part of your booking.  

In most areas - room attendants, butlers, waiters and assistant waiters the cash  you give them is turned into a pool of funds which is shared by all others in that classification.   If you leave a tip via your room charge say in a Specialty Restaurant it goes to the general pool for all restaurant works but if you leave a cash tip it goes the the dining room pool only.  The rational is the effort is a team effort to deliver the service you receive and many are not customer facing.

Philosophically I have a problem with this as If I received exceptional service by an individual I want that Person to receive my tip. 

Having said that -  in Suites I generally tip $5-10 per day for Waiters, Butlers an Sommelier (who do not share tips and receive 18% tips on bottles of wine).  We generally also tip the bartender in Retreat (or where we decide to spend our evenings) and the Retreat Concierge if delivered additional services.  

With extra charges being added to Specialty when booked I no longer tip extra except for above and beyond experience.  

While cruising is indeed different to land base dining.    I often temper my tipping by considering what I would tip in at a resort or bar.    I personally we Americans are obsessed with tipping which is very different to most of the world.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Let me ask you something. What appropriate to give to your grandson for his birthday? $10? $25? $100? $500? Everyone has their own  ideas and the same is true for tipping.  What is appropriate for one person is excessive to someone else.  Or stingy.

Really depends on how much I like that grand kid.   My favorites always get more.   LOL  -  Just kidding.   

I agree but understand the OP and others non-Americans who don't want to feel like they aren't tipping appropriately.

Often when visiting friends in Australia, UK or India I ask what is appropriate.   When having overseas guests that are taking us to dinner,   I just say let me take care of the tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There is no wrong answer here.  Once you have paid your auto gratuities (or had them included in your fare), it truly is a personal decision that is going to be based on the specific service you receive, how much you value that service, and your own tipping philosophy.  Follow your heart and don't forget to also mention those crew members in the survey and any comment cards (something crew often value even more than cash tips).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Really depends on how much I like that grand kid.   My favorites always get more.   LOL  -  Just kidding.   

I agree but understand the OP and others non-Americans who don't want to feel like they aren't tipping appropriately.

Often when visiting friends in Australia, UK or India I ask what is appropriate.   When having overseas guests that are taking us to dinner,   I just say let me take care of the tip.

Tipping is the norm now for us when in restaurants here in Leeds. Often included in the bill but we often leave more. So we’re not as naive as you may think. Never leave a tip in the pub though, but bar staff over here get reasonable pay compared to the US. But wherever we are in the world, don’t care what the norm is for that region, will tip what we think we should.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Tipping is the norm now for us when in restaurants here in Leeds. Often included in the bill but we often leave more. So we’re not as naive as you may think. Never leave a tip in the pub though, but bar staff over here get reasonable pay compared to the US. But wherever we are in the world, don’t care what the norm is for that region, will tip what we think we should.

I don't think Jim was suggesting any degree of naivety, merely that it is a question often asked by those who are trying to fit in with the local norms. 

Personal choices of course, but we always try to adapt to to the local culture with matters like tipping, as it can and does impact on the locals, both those being tipped and those living in non-tipping cultures faced with increasing pressure to tip caused by visitors tipping inappropriately...

• Like 3

Just now, Mark_T said:

I don't think Jim was suggesting any degree of naivety, merely that it is a question often asked by those who are trying to fit in with the local norms. 

Personal choices of course, but we always try to adapt to to the local culture with matters like tipping, as it can and does impact on the locals, both those being tipped and those living in non-tipping cultures faced with increasing pressure to tip caused by visitors tipping inappropriately...

Think you are reading far too much into my post. And I also stick to my point, we tip when we see someone giving great service, the same amount if it’s in Leeds or anywhere else. It’s not a science but people can try to turn it into one. It’s very simple.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Let me ask you something. What appropriate to give to your grandson for his birthday? $10? $25? $100? $500? Everyone has their own  ideas and the same is true for tipping.  What is appropriate for one person is excessive to someone else.  Or stingy.

Good thought.  However, it never hurts to ask what others have done - especially those who cruise several times a year.

1 hour ago, baypeople said:

All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Any additional amount of cash, or none at all, is entirely appropriate. Just don't give a non-cash gift like an "inspirational" trinket. Those may make you feel better, but probably not the recipient, which should be the point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Any additional amount of cash, or none at all, is entirely appropriate. Just don't give a non-cash gift like an "inspirational" trinket. Those may make you feel better, but probably not the recipient, which should be the point.

…or a baseball or keychain as recommended on Carnival.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Since it's essentially one big college dorm, we should remind them with a trinket that says "Remember, no getting frisky before marriage"...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Since it's essentially one big college dorm, we should remind them with a trinket that says "Remember, no getting frisky before marriage"...

If the rumors about shipboard crew romances are to be believed I would have to say “that ship has already sailed.” 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, baypeople said:

We were in a suite on Equinox recently and wanted to tip certain folks a bit extra for very good service.  However, we have no idea if we chose appropriate amounts.  I'm looking for suggestions for both suites and Aqua, especially when paid gratuities are part of the all inclusive packages.  All comments and suggestions are welcome!

We also were recently in a Suite on the Equinox.  To directly answer your question, we left the Butler $75.00 additional as he was exceptional and went above and beyond when we both contracted COVID.  We left the room stewardess an extra $25.00 as she was always ready to honor our requests for extra towels and shampoo, etc.  We did not leave extra in any dining venues or Bars.

Again, no hard fast rule except for the mandatory amount requested by the Cruise line and I have witnessed several cruisers remove even those tips.   Some cultures just do not believe in tipping and others are just plain cheap!    JMO

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The normal disclaimer are made about tipping being a personal decision.

First off yes you have paid tips in advance as part of your booking.  

In most areas - room attendants, butlers, waiters and assistant waiters the cash  you give them is turned into a pool of funds which is shared by all others in that classification.   If you leave a tip via your room charge say in a Specialty Restaurant it goes to the general pool for all restaurant works but if you leave a cash tip it goes the the dining room pool only.  The rational is the effort is a team effort to deliver the service you receive and many are not customer facing.

Philosophically I have a problem with this as If I received exceptional service by an individual I want that Person to receive my tip. 

Having said that -  in Suites I generally tip $5-10 per day for Waiters, Butlers an Sommelier (who do not share tips and receive 18% tips on bottles of wine).  We generally also tip the bartender in Retreat (or where we decide to spend our evenings) and the Retreat Concierge if delivered additional services.  

With extra charges being added to Specialty when booked I no longer tip extra except for above and beyond experience.  

While cruising is indeed different to land base dining.    I often temper my tipping by considering what I would tip in at a resort or bar.    I personally we Americans are obsessed with tipping which is very different to most of the world.

We also tip after almost every meal in Luminae or specialty depending on service I see very few others do the same. We always tip room steward and butler from 40 to 100 depending on service.  We tip a dollar or do a drink in retreat or bars . We tip concierge if they do something for us max a hundred. Normally tip people that handle luggage before and after cruise 20, last cruise guy handling luggage had to g a couple of blocks to get to taxi got extra.

• Like 2

We've never eaten in Luminae, but we have never tipped for any meal in the MDR or Blu.  We usually get the same waiter, and if the service has been very good throughout the cruise, we'll envelope them the last evening.  With the drink package tips already included, we'll tip the martini bartenders extra, and get nice pours, nice drinks, and sometimes a great show.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, George C said:

We also tip after almost every meal in Luminae or specialty depending on service I see very few others do the same. We always tip room steward and butler from 40 to 100 depending on service.  We tip a dollar or do a drink in retreat or bars . We tip concierge if they do something for us max a hundred. Normally tip people that handle luggage before and after cruise 20, last cruise guy handling luggage had to g a couple of blocks to get to taxi got extra.

We have always waited to the end of the cruise to tip our wait staff in Luminae, Butler, and Stateroom attendant.  Bartenders and servers we tip as served. 

• Like 4

On 2/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, C4HCG said:

Ignoring local customs makes for a rather inconsiderate traveler, to say the very least.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We have always waited to the end of the cruise to tip our wait staff in Luminae, Butler, and Stateroom attendant.  Bartenders and servers we tip as served. 

We too wait to the end of the trip. It wouldn’t occur to me to do otherwise. 

On 2/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, baypeople said:

The good news is that…there are no appropriate amounts!  Tipping, over and above the included tips, is simply a matter of your personal discretion and what you are comfortable with.  I usually tip the room service people each morning and I tip via envelope at the end of the voyage to everyone else.  

As an ocean liner historian I always get a chuckle when I see someone from the European side of the ocean taking umbrage at the very thought of tipping.  When, in actuality, it was the European shipping companies that started the “custom of tipping” that began with such companies as Cunard and White Star as well as CGT, Holland America and The Italian Line.