Have you ever not been able to go into Glacier Bay?

leahthecaterer

12 minutes ago, leahthecaterer said:

We're thinking about a Princess cruise the second week of May.  It goes to Glacier Bay.  Has anyone ever not been able to get in there?  It's the whole reason we picked this cruise.

Thanks

No, we've never not been able to go there. Glacier Bay is big, so I think ships can always manage it no matter what the ice situation is in the water.

• Like 1

I’ll also add how MUCH of the glacier you will see is also hit and miss.  We have been twice, once we could barely see the front face, the second time we had better weather had could see about half way up the glacier, but we have always been able to get there.  (We went in Sept for the first trip, June for the second).

• Like 1

Glacier Bay is the glacier that is missed the least compared to other ones cruise lines go to (Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, College Fiords, etc...)

Endicott Arm is rarely missed but is not as scenic as Glacier Bay. For the most part, Glacier Bay is pretty dependable at seeing. Obviously, there can be weather issues.

This year we have another challenge. Congress has yet to raise the federal debt limit and the extraordinary measures that are currently being done to work around it are expected to run out in May or June. I wonder if they don't come to an agreement to raise it and go past the deadline if that will affect the park rangers, and I really don't know whether the government is involved in allowing ships into Glacier Bay either.

My cruise is in early June and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by roadster08

6 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

This year we have another challenge. Congress has yet to raise the federal debt limit and the extraordinary measures that are currently being done to work around it are expected to run out in May or June. I wonder if they don't come to an agreement to raise it and go past the deadline if that will affect the park rangers, and I really don't know whether the government is involved in allowing ships into Glacier Bay either.

My cruise is in early June and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

If it affects Park Rangers, it will affect Glacier Bay. This has come up in previous years but it always has gotten resolved in time for Alaska season.

Edited by Coral

I’ve been on 6 Princess cruises since May 2017 that included Glacier Bay, 5 in very early May and one in August.  In all cases we did get into the bay. The weather varied in May from t-shirts to wearing every item of clothing I brought (lol). We always saw the faces of the glaciers. I much prefer May to September.  I love the snow and ice when my warm cabin is right there.