First timer on NCL - any recommendations or things we need to know

swd2334

Long time cruisers on Carnival going on NCL for first-time. Wife and I are doing an Alaska cruise on Bliss in July. We have booked a Club Balcony Suite with larger balcony. First (and likely only) time going to Alaska. We choose NCL because it was the only ship that visited the three ports we wanted to go to (Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneau). We're looking for any tips, tricks, recommendations, or things we need to know as far as NCL, the Bliss, as well as any recommendations on excursions/things to do in the ports. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swd2334 said:

Long time cruisers on Carnival going on NCL for first-time. Wife and I are doing an Alaska cruise on Bliss in July. We have booked a Club Balcony Suite with larger balcony. First (and likely only) time going to Alaska. We choose NCL because it was the only ship that visited the three ports we wanted to go to (Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneau). We're looking for any tips, tricks, recommendations, or things we need to know as far as NCL, the Bliss, as well as any recommendations on excursions/things to do in the ports. Thanks.

Welcome to NCL and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I don't know where you are in your planning, but the Encore would be a better ship because it calls in Glacier Bay (which is what you should do as a first and only time Alaskan cruiser). 

If the decision on the Bliss is final, then it is a great ship, purpose-built for Alaska. And you'll have a wonderful cruise. 

I'll assume that you have the Free at Sea promotions (2 dinners and Premium Beverage Package). 

Like any big ship, specialty dining reservations are a must. Dining reservations open exactly 125 days prior to your departure. So, when your online or NCL app countdown clock hits 125 days, exactly 12 midnight eastern time, it is time to book your dinners. Prime time dining, especially on sea days, will sell out quickly. 

NCL embraces Freestyle cruising, so you can show up at the Main Dining Rooms any time you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. While not necessary, you can also make reservations 125 days out also. The Manhattan Room is the larger of the MDRs, Taste and Savor are smaller MDR. They all serve the same menu. 

Like any big ship, entertainment reservations are a must. Entertainment reservations currently open exactly 21 days prior to your departure. So, when your online or NCL app countdown clock hits 21 days, exactly 12 midnight eastern time, it is time to check-in (to get your port check-in time) and book your shows. You can book Jersey Boys and Six (we just saw this on another ship and it was fantastic). You may be able to book comedy club shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). 

Select an early check-in time at the port and show up early. Bell Street Cruise Terminal is small and has no drop-off/pick-up space... your Uber will drop you someone on the street in front of the terminal. Regardless of what your printed documents say, Haven Boarding starts around 11:00, Priority Boarding around 11:15, and General Boarding (including Club Balcony) starts around 11:30. It takes a while to get through security and check-in at the port. You will get your room keys at check-in. Staterooms will be available 1:30-2:00, and you are asked to stay out of the area until the cruise director announces that they are ready. Embarkation Lunch is served in the Garden Café Buffet and the Taste and Savor MDRs. There is also a seated lunch at The Local pub & grill. 

The absolute best shore excursion is the Glacier Explorer to the Dawes Glacier. Before the ship leaves port in Juneau, you will be taken out to a small boat and race ahead of the Bliss and get up close and personal with the glacier. Because the boat is small, it can go up some of the side fjords and stop for wildlife (bear, whales). The Bliss may have to hang back several miles from the glacier if there is a lot of ice in the water and you will reboard her at the glacier. 

FYI only... there are two links below. The second/bottom link is to my live post from the Bliss to Alaska in 2018. The first/top link is to my live post from the Encore (Bliss' sister) in 2021

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

Bring binoculars for amazing viewing from your balcony!

Dress in layers, some days were cool and others nice and warm! Weather will be all over the place, we had sun and warmth for Skagway and Glacier Bay but pouring rain in Juneau and Ketchikan.

NCL is very causal, no fancy attire needed for dinners. Slacks and nice shirt or blouse is all you need for specialty dinners.

Beautiful experience!

2 hours ago, swd2334 said:

Following this thread since we are NCL first-timers as well, going to Alaska on the Bliss in May. We specifically wanted to stop in Sitka so we can see our nephew, his wife, and our great-nephew.

2 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Following this thread since we are NCL first-timers as well, going to Alaska on the Bliss in May. We specifically wanted to stop in Sitka so we can see our nephew, his wife, and our great-nephew.

Have a great cruise. 

Watch the weather forecasts and pack accordingly. Glacier day will be wintery cold (jacket, hat, gloves). In July, we often have port days that we wear shorts and t-shirts. We have also had July days where you needed a jacket and hat. 

First timer as well for Alaska, NCL, or any cruiseliner for that matter. Although I have been on numerous government sponsored cruises (ex-Navy 🤣).

I was wondering what is the earliest that you can go in to the Bell Street cruise terminal/Pier 66. I'm not talking about boarding times which I know is a whole other issue. I'm talking about when does Pier 66 open to where they start allowing people in. We get in midnight Friday at SeaTac. So, debating whether we really need a hotel for the night or if we can just hangout for a few hours then get a ride to the pier in the morning. Forgive the totally newbie question. 😄

9 minutes ago, BundokSaint said:

First timer as well for Alaska, NCL, or any cruiseliner for that matter. Although I have been on numerous government sponsored cruises (ex-Navy 🤣).

I was wondering what is the earliest that you can go in to the Bell Street cruise terminal/Pier 66. I'm not talking about boarding times which I know is a whole other issue. I'm talking about when does Pier 66 open to where they start allowing people in. We get in midnight Friday at SeaTac. So, debating whether we really need a hotel for the night or if we can just hangout for a few hours then get a ride to the pier in the morning. Forgive the totally newbie question. 😄

Get the hotel. Pick an inexpensive one like Holiday Inn Express near the airport that has an airport shuttle to pick you up and a paid shuttle to the cruise pier the next day. You don't want to be tired the first day. You can't get into your cabin until mid afternoon. There is so much to see and do on the ship. You'll want to get the lay of the land and check it all out. Saving $100 on a hotel is not the way to go in my opinion. Hit the ground running clean and refreshed! 

• Like 2

One year we took a late flight into Seattle. We decided to stay at the inexpensive Best Western Airport with free airport shuttle. They had a pretty nice breakfast buffet included. Then took a Town car to the pier. 

Now we fly in early the day before and stay at the Cedar Brook lodge to relax. It has a free airport shuttle and breakfast. Then we take a town car to the pier. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Get the hotel. Pick an inexpensive one like Holiday Inn Express near the airport that has an airport shuttle to pick you up and a paid shuttle to the cruise pier the next day. You don't want to be tired the first day. You can't get into your cabin until mid afternoon. There is so much to see and do on the ship. You'll want to get the lay of the land and check it all out. Saving $100 on a hotel is not the way to go in my opinion. Hit the ground running clean and refreshed! 

6 minutes ago, North2Alaska10 said:

One year we took a late flight into Seattle. We decided to stay at the inexpensive Best Western Airport with free airport shuttle. They had a pretty nice breakfast buffet included. Then took a Town car to the pier. 

Now we fly in early the day before and stay at the Cedar Brook lodge to relax. It has a free airport shuttle and breakfast. Then we take a town car to the pier. 

Thanks for the replies. What time would you all suggest getting a ride to the pier? Does the terminal open at a certain time? I had been trying to find the answer myself on the Peir 66 website, but no joy.

6 minutes ago, BundokSaint said:

Thanks for the replies. What time would you all suggest getting a ride to the pier? Does the terminal open at a certain time? I had been trying to find the answer myself on the Peir 66 website, but no joy.

You will tell the hotel staff your ship check in time and they will assign you to a shuttle to get you there. Until you have a ship check in time, it's pointless to speculate. Check in doesn't even start until 11 am and Haven has priority. You will likely have a check in time no earlier than 11:30 if you are in a regular cabin. 
You need to understand that anything can happen. Your ship could be late due to fog or something. There could be a delay disembarking the cruise ahead of you and back everything up. This is why I suggested the hotel. 

Edited by Uff da

3 hours ago, BundokSaint said:

Welcome to NCL and welcome to Cruise Critic. 

It would be best to get a hotel for the night.

As explained in Post #2 above, exactly 21 days prior to your cruise departure (when you see the countdown clock on your MyNCL account or NCL app hit 21), at 12 midnight eastern time, you need to log on and check-in for your cruise. During the check-in process, you will be assigned a time to arrive at the terminal. Those who log on at midnight get early times to arrive at the terminal. Those who wait for a day will get afternoon check-in times. 

Terminal security will open around 9:00-9:30 allowing passengers to go through screening and enter the terminal. General boarding will commence around 11:30 using Boarding Group Numbers assigned when you check-in at the terminal (first come first to board)

We always show up around 10:00, get through security, get through check-in before things get too crowded. Then we board early and have a nice lunch to start our cruise. 

14 hours ago, BundokSaint said:

We usually book our ride with Quality Town car. We tell them our assigned boarding time and then they tell us what their pick up time at the hotel is. It’s really nice to have your transportation to the pier figured out in advance. In the past when we dealt with shuttles we had late drivers, overcrowded vans making for an uncomfortable ride ti the pier. Dirty cars or vans. The ride from an airport hotel to the pier is about 35 minutes. 

Quality Town car shows up on time with super clean vehicles, bottles of water, great service and friendly drivers. We do an Alaskan cruise every summer and have been using them for 6 years now. 

We too are Carnival cruisers taking our first NCL and first Alaska cruise in early May on the Jewel, Seward to Vancouver.   Just yesterday, we snuck in our -2 flight deviation (75 days out today), booked a hotel near the airport, and booked a bus to Seward on embarkation day.   Looking forward to more tips in this thread.  

Thanks y'all!

First time Alaska/NCL and only my 2nd cruise ever.

I'm flying in from SF to SEA and arrive at 8:30 am. Can I drop my luggage off at the terminal and go to breakfast somewhere? Is there anything close by the terminal? Would love to see "the Market" or is it called Pike's Place? Is that close enough to the terminal?

TIA

2 hours ago, kdblondie said:

I'm flying in from SF to SEA and arrive at 8:30 am. Can I drop close enough to the terminal?

2 hours ago, kdblondie said:

I would sign up for the earliest pier check in. You’ll probably get to the pier around 10 after picking up baggage, finding a ride and traveling to the pier. Enjoy an early lunch on the ship. You would probably have to catch a cab to Pike market. We walked once and it was a really long walk. We took a cab back. 

3 hours ago, kdblondie said:

I'm flying in from SF to SEA and arrive at 8:30 am. Can I drop my luggage off at the terminal and go to breakfast somewhere? Is there anything close by the terminal? Would love to see "the Market" or is it called Pike's Place? Is that close enough to the terminal?

TIA

Pike Place Market is approximately 1/2 - 3/4 mile walk to Bell Street at Pier 66.

3 hours ago, kdblondie said:

Would love to see "the Market" or is it called Pike's Place? Is that close enough to the terminal?

What time is your returning flight?  It might be easier to visit Pike Place Market after disembarking.  We've done that before when we had an afternoon flight.  Since you'll likely be getting to the terminal around 10:30, I would just get on the ship.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:53 AM, kdblondie said:

TIA

If you are talking to a Seattle-ite, you can call it The Market, Pike Place, or Pike Place Market, but do not ever call it "Pike's Place." 🙂 It's a bit of a pet peeve for locals when people add the possessive. Just one of those things...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/25/2023 at 3:37 PM, periodic itinerant said:

If you are talking to a Seattle-ite, you can call it The Market, Pike Place, or Pike Place Market, but do not ever call it "Pike's Place." 🙂 It's a bit of a pet peeve for locals when people add the possessive. Just one of those things...

It's like nails on a chalk board!  But doesn't bother me as much since we moved to Florida. 😊🌴

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Hi, also a first time cruiser, what exactly is required for on-line check in 21 days before?  There are apparently documents to download but they are not available yet according to the website until that time.  What all do you need to have gathered?  Thanks!

You will need to have pictures of yourself to download.  Take pictures of head and shoulder against a white wall (ours is a very pale blue).  Take quite a few as it may accept one but when I checked hubby and I it took my third picture and hubby's 9th.  You will need to have your passport handy as you will need to put the passport number in.  Other than that it's just your names/address/phone # and also an emergency contact name/address/phone#.  Takes about 10/15 min. depending on photo and other glitches.  If you want an early boarding time do it at midnight (eastern time) on the day it becomes available.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Hi, also a first time cruiser, what exactly is required for on-line check in 21 days before?  There are apparently documents to download but they are not available yet according to the website until that time.  What all do you need to have gathered?  Thanks!

Here's the beautiful mug I took of myself when checking in on Saturday morning. Robe, hairy chest, and all! 

That perfect white background is caused by the wall of windows we have in our home office as the sunlight streams in through our sheer curtains. Really need to get some blackout curtains for that room! 

image.thumb.jpeg.f1a1d59fe8e37eb00582c84d03246af5.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 3:37 PM, periodic itinerant said:

I have so many pet peeves, I'm thinking of opening a zoo!

• Haha 1