Canaletto shutting down (temporarily?) on Rotterdam March 8

Turtles06

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

We were told on the Oosterdam (and it did apply on the K as well) that as long as we gave notice, we could have Osso Bucco any night.  We dined there on our last night on board - my DS and BIL had the Osso Bucco and my DS and I had the shrimp special - both specials from another night and both requested with the promise we would order them 😉. No problem at all..

That is good to know.  Hopefully we can do that on the Volendam as well next year.

I'm thankful for this thread. We're sailing Mar 18 and I tried to book Caneletto yesterday and didn't see it listed. I was puzzled and wondered if it was fully booked and I just waited too long. A new menu is a much better situation. Looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks. Though honestly, no one makes Italian food like my Nana so I'm a tough critic of Italian restaurants.

Canaletto has come a very LONG away since it started.  I feel it was just the worst when it started.  It was free at that time and I don’t think it was worth even that.  I really love it now (I’m not Italian though 😛).  I’m looking forward to the new menu.  Glad that the ossobuco will be a mainstay.

• Like 4

I had a fantastic crab risotto one night.  I really, really hope that's still available.

As a solo cruiser, I couldn't even manage to eat one app and one entree, let alone a dessert!  I think I took a cheese plate back to my cabin for later.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I had a fantastic crab risotto one night.  I really, really hope that's still available.

As a solo cruiser, I couldn't even manage to eat one app and one entree, let alone a dessert!  I think I took a cheese plate back to my cabin for later.

I order half-sized portions of the appetizer and entree.  That was I can usually manage to eat most of the dessert.  Gotta prioritize the calories!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Canaletto has come a very LONG away since it started.  I feel it was just the worst when it started.  It was free at that time and I don’t think it was worth even that.  I really love it now (I’m not Italian though 😛).  I’m looking forward to the new menu.  Glad that the ossobuco will be a mainstay.

You are so correct, I remember the first time we tried Canaletto 4 or 5 years ago and it was IMO no better than Olive Graden. Last year on the Oosterdam it was actually excellent and more like any upscaled Italian land restaurant. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Do you remember how they ended each meal by bringing out a big plate of pink cotton candy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, funntheson said:

Why would a new menu being introduced keep you from making reservations? 

Because pax would complain that the reason they booked was for the special offered that night and now will want to eat and not pay. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Agree but you know one person is going to complain that they want the old menu.

That depends on which item(s) they drop to make room for new ones. I have no special favorites in Canaletto, but I am curious to see what the new offerings will be. 

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That depends on which item(s) they drop to make room for new ones. I have no special favorites in Canaletto, but I am curious to see what the new offerings will be. 

For sure, but there is going to be one I bet.  I can't think of another reason.

9 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Because pax would complain that the reason they booked was for the special offered that night and now will want to eat and not pay. 

But that’s going to happen, regardless, as some have already made reservations. Unless, of course, if they cancel all existing reservations. And THAT would lead to more complaints.

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

But that’s going to happen, regardless, as some have already made reservations. Unless, of course, if they cancel all existing reservations. And THAT would lead to more complaints.

I am sure it is going happen. They know how many reservations that are already in the system and I am sure are doing all they can to limit their exposure. The real question is how long will it take HAL's IT dept to get the menu on their site and app.

Edited by Laminator

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Folks who have existing reservations could cancel if they don’t like the new menu or if they’d booked for a specific night’s entree that is going to be eliminated. 

• Like 1

This is good news on the menu but that still makes no sense why they would stop reservations or why one person was told they would close for a short period of time. All the resturants on HAL have gone through menu changes and yes even since the restart and and it did not stop making reservations. Then I would think the new menu would be rolled out on all of the ships. Lots of confusing information that does not make much sense.

• Like 5