Muts and Marvel movies

antsp

I'm not sure about anyone else, but do you not think Princess has a really odd choice of movies it shows on muts in the evening. Most of them are super hero type films, is that what most Princess passengers want or is it just me. 

Edited by antsp

Just happens that a lot of the recent popular movies are of that type. The mix I have seen on board pretty much matches recent releases.

4 minutes ago, antsp said:

I'm not sure about anyone else, but do you not think Princess has a really odd choice of movies it shows on muts in the evening. Most of them are super hero type films, is that what most Princess passengers want or is it just me. 

Not just you, most passengers love the franchise. Guess you love the Antman ones from your name! Can't wait for quantimania to be shown onboard!  FWIW, they also show Elvis, Jurassic World, Dog, Uncharted and Free Guy at night, and of course Doctor Strange! 

10 hours ago, ldtr said:

Just happens that a lot of the recent popular movies are of that type. The mix I have seen on board pretty much matches recent releases.

Agree. Someone curates what they show, but what to pick from? Princess demographic is an older crowd. I don't believe they take that into account. Not much we care to watch onboard and suprised some shows don't make onboard that would be a better fit.

Edited by mtnesterz

I could empathize if the point you were making was that Marvel movies are not your favorites.

But "odd choice"?

C'mon.   I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people sitting in those deck chairs are thrilled that there's a Spiderman they haven't seen yet up on that screen.

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It's sad when they have to resort to such childish movies when the avg age is well over 55 years old.

I'm in my 60s.

I love Marvel.

It was my generation and older who made the franchise famous.

I seriously don't think you're considering anyone but yourself in this.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, antsp said:

I have found a wide variety of movies over the last year. But yeah I did see one of the Marvel movies. I love MUTS and will usually watch a few evening  movies over the cruise  and maybe a daytime movie on a sea day

4 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

I'm in my 60s.

I love Marvel.

I seriously don't think you're considering anyone but yourself in this.

Your one of the few in that age group who likes those sort of movies.

Actually I would just like them to keep up with the latest DVD releases and not continue to have 2,3 and 4 year movies as options. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Actually I would just like them to keep up with the latest DVD releases and not continue to have 2,3 and 4 year movies as options. 

Actually I rather think it would be the negative nellies from Cruise Critic who would be the tiny minority in a crowd. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, antsp said:

Read the comics as a kid.  60 years later I can honestly say I have never seen a Marvel Movie.  Give me Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Inherit the Wind or The Old Man and the Sea and I'm all in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NWA395 said:

Read the comics as a kid.  60 years later I can honestly say I have never seen a Marvel Movie.  Give me Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Inherit the Wind or The Old Man and the Sea and I'm all in.

Agree. If they remade, "The Caine Mutiny," scene for scene, line for line, modern CGI would be so much better than the model work, but how would you find that many great actors?

8 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Agree. If they remade, "The Caine Mutiny," scene for scene, line for line, modern CGI would be so much better than the model work, but how would you find that many great actors?

Oh you'd love TCM.   You could go 24 hours without seeing a pixel of color film.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:32 AM, antsp said:

21 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

I'm in my 60s.
I love Marvel.

Give the people what they want.  Top 15 Grossing Movies of All Time, Worldwide.  6 of them from the MCU:

1          Avatar

2          Avengers: Endgame   

3          Avatar: The Way of Water     

4          Titanic

5          Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 

6          Avengers: Infinity War           

7          Spider-Man: No Way Home  

8          Jurassic World

9          The Lion King 

10        The Avengers 

11        Furious 7        

12        Top Gun: Maverick    

13        Frozen II         

14        Avengers: Age of Ultron        

15        Black Panther

900      Downton Abbey

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Given the statistics above, that is virtually impossible.  I think that Iron Man was the first real Marvel movie, and that came out in 2008.  So someone who is 60 now was 45 back then.  Certainly not "too old" to have gotten interested in the franchise and still sticks with it.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CapnCrews said:

Oh you'd love TCM.   You could go 24 hours without seeing a pixel of color film.

Not necessarily. I just prefer a good story and acting over explosions, or mayhem. Matter of taste. I went to the (first run) theater last week. Didn't choose the one about a drugged bear, it was about relationships.

• Like 1

In my mid-50's.  Love Marvel movies.  As a comic collector in my younger days, I never thought I'd see the day where all of these stories that were originally on the comic pages made it to film.  That said, I think the X-Men prequel movies (courtesy of 20th Century Fox), i.e.,Days of Future Past, etc. were the best.

BTW, I also love TCM!

...but movie preferences are like food preferences for the masses, so when showing a MUTS, don't make it too spicy or unrecognizable. 

I'm 70 and I love the Marvel movies.  I also love Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, 12 Angry Men, The Great Escape and Cool Hand Luke, all of James Bond movies, almost anything John Wayne and many, many others.  Recently I watch a Minions movie for the first time and loved it, stupid as it was.  And oh yeah, Top Gun Maverick was awesome.  

I have eclectic tastes, to be sure.  I like movies that are done well; written well, directed well, filmed and acted well.  I also like movies where the splashy entertainment value is much higher than the overall cinematic quality.  And sometimes stupid movies that make me laugh. 

I can't imagine watching 12 Angry Men on MUTS.  Like those big theaters with all the X this and Dolby that MUTS calls out for something bigger in scope, like the Marvel movies, or some other action movie.  Maybe Fast and Furious or a football game.  Or a concert.  IMO all those other "better" movies are more suited to a quieter venue.  

• Like 2

Just got off the Caribbean P for the past 10 days.  The only showing that I noticed of the genre mentioned was Jurassic Word-Dominion.  Saw it after dark...enjoyed it with the other 3 in my traveling group.  To be fair...MOST showings were rather old as @MissP22 states.  (All in group are low to late 60s)  I'm beginning to see repeats of MUTS that I saw pre-pandemic.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Just got off the Caribbean P for the past 10 days.  The only showing that I noticed of the genre mentioned was Jurassic Word-Dominion.  Saw it after dark...enjoyed it with the other 3 in my traveling group.  To be fair...MOST showings were rather old as @MissP22 states.  (All in group are low to late 60s)  I'm beginning to see repeats of MUTS that I saw pre-pandemic.

I'm laughing at myself now. I thought the OP was talking about dogs. 😃 I just realize it Movies Under the Stars.  I did review the marvel movies listed above.  Have not seen a single one but I agree some of the old B&W may not be great for MUTS.

Just now, NWA395 said:

I'm laughing at myself now. I thought the OP was talking about dogs. 😃 I just realize it Movies Under the Stars.  I did review the marvel movies listed above.  Have not seen a single one but I agree some of the old B&W may not be great for MUTS.

LOTS and LOTS of acronyms here on CC (CruiseCritic,...or Credit Card. You have to let the context drive you to the correct one in this case!)  There are still a few that I have to think about and some that I need to outright ASK about!  Don't be shy!  If there's anything you're not sure of...just ask!

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It would be nice to be able to cruise having newer movies to select from. Even the Marvel movies are still better than the reruns I've been seeing lately.

I can watch those old flicks at home anytime.