What's Gotten Better

pmallen

On 3/4/2023 at 6:42 AM, MissP22 said:

Surprisingly enough, there are many people dressing up for formal nights on the Enchanted this trip.

It's still very lenient without any enforcement that I can see. They allow people to taylor their clothing to what they choose. 

We will be cruising with one of our sons and his wife and daughter next year. It will be their first cruise and I know his wife is looking forward to dressing up. I'm guessing our granddaughter (who will be 6 then) will also be dressing up for formal night. I'm glad it is still done by some people. I used to wear a suit on formal nights but the last two cruises I haven't packed a jacket. I do still wear a dress shirt and tie though. It's easy and my wife likes it. At one time I had to wear a tie for work and didn't care for it. The last 18 years of my working life I mostly wore Levis, Birkenstock sandals, and Tommy Bahama aloha shirts. 😎

• Like 4

On 3/3/2023 at 2:43 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW I first accessed the ARPANET when I was in the USAF back in 1983 using a 2400 baud dial-up modem. It still amazes me how far it has advanced since then!

2400?  My, weren't you the special one!  I had a 300 baud acoustic coupler!  In the snow!  Uphill!

• Haha 5

On 3/3/2023 at 8:15 AM, pmallen said:

We just got off a 15-day Panama Canal cruise (you can read my Live From elsewhere) and we had a wonderful trip.

This was our 5th cruise, going back to our first, exactly 30 years ago, all on Princess. I started following Cruise Critic not long after it started in the late 90s.

And people here have been complaining that cruising is going to Hell for the entire three decades! We complain about the ships, the ports, the food, the sales,  the CEO, the volume on the movies and more.

That's human nature, of course. We're more inclined to share when we're unhappy, than when we're satisfied. But if all I knew about cruising is what I read here, why would I ever go on one??!!??

So I thought I'd try something different: what's better? That's right, what about cruising has improved over time? Because there's lots. There really is.

I'll go first: coffee!  On our first couple cruises, the coffee was simply dreadful. It came from some sort of concentrate made by people who, I think, didn't really like coffee. Then they added coffee bars for an upcharge, so you had to pay extra for decent coffee. This was a regular topic here 25 years ago. Trust me! Today, the coffee is fine. Not spectacular, but decent, whether room service, dining room, or buffet. 

Now its your turn. What do you think has gotten better about Princess specifically,  or cruising in general?

The Princess Plus package is a big improvement. If you can score some OBC in addition, you’ve got an all inclusive experience. 

Also, the flexibility of the MDR scheduling is much improved. In the old days, they assigned you a table with strangers at one of two available times. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. 

Edited by Z0nker
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:35 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Oh yes .. I forgot to mention, I love the On Demand capabilities of the TV now.  Remember how you may have missed one little section of the wake show and watch the whole thing over again to get that part you missed?  
Or when you wanted to watch a certain movie but it was showing at an in opportune time.  Now, you can watch half of it at any time you wish, go out and pick back up where you left off.  
And all the Love Boat seasons are available.  Sometimes, they are just fun to

watch!  

Autotips .. so much better for both sides now

Photos .. you can get as a digital download or have them printed right from you app 

ok .. I’m sure there are more things that I can rave about

I really think everything is much more to our liking now than ever before 

On demand Love Boat episodes are a treat! We always watch a few. 

Edited by Z0nker
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

On demand Love Boat episodes are a treat! We always watch a few. 

You know, we haven’t even turned the TV on during our last few cruises but now, you got me thinking.  I love watching those old Love Boat episodes.  I’m going to have to make a point of watching a few of them on our next sailing.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

The Princess Plus package is a big improvement. If you can score some OBC in addition, you’ve got an all inclusive experience. 

Also, the flexibility of the MDR scheduling is much improved. In the old days, they assigned you a table with strangers at one of two available times. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. 

We have made lifelong friends when seating was fixed but then again, when the people that you’re seated with are bad, it can be very bad.  I like this way much better .. 

• Like 4

On 3/6/2023 at 8:39 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Croissants on Princess have gotten much, much better in the 30 years we've been sailing. We like to start our cruise day with croissants and coffee on the patio, brought to our cabin at an early hour.

If those two are good, the rest of our day will surely be good also.😎

Doug

According to my DS Princess croissants are the best in the world... and he is a well travelled teenager.

8 hours ago, Z0nker said:

I suppose it's OK if you're looking for people to have conversations with during dinner. We find that it delays the whole dining process and makes us late for the show. 

I'll keep my list short:

> the bed

> Elite tea

> solo dining tables

> MedallionClass app 

> menus:: love having a vegetarian menu💜

> paying 1/2 the price I used to pay for an OV but booking BA.  Enjoy having tea on my private balcony

Still enjoying the rest but those are what's improved IMHO 

• Like 2

This last cruise was our first with Medallion.  We loved it for being able to locate shipmates, view our account and accessing our room.  

As a coffee fiend, it was nice to see the specialty coffee available at the pastry shop and Princess Live.  

• Like 3

Using the medallion system is handy for most situations but unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to use it to check on the number of drinks you've ordered in a day similar to what the bartenders can do? 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Using the medallion system is handy for most situations but unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to use it to check on the number of drinks you've ordered in a day similar to what the bartenders can do? 

They've modified it, so you can check in the app according to a cruiser about a month ago.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You have a much more serious problem IF you can't remember/keep track of how many alcoholic drinks you are consuming in a 24 hour period.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You have a much more serious problem IF you can't remember/keep track of how many alcoholic drinks you are consuming in a 24 hour period.  

I've been billed for drinks that weren't mine. Whether I am paying "extra" or not I don't want those drinks charged to my account.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I've been billed for drinks that weren't mine. Whether I am paying "extra" or not I don't want those drinks charged to my account.

Did you find out via the app or onboard folio?

Afterthought....you ARE able to account/watch for your 15 drinks.  My reference is to a person who is unable to keep track of how many drinks they are ingesting.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

26 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Afterthought....you ARE able to account/watch for your 15 drinks.  My reference is to a person who is unable to keep track of how many drinks they are ingesting.  

Getting a little judgmental?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I don't count. I think most folks don't count or try to keep track.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yea, it is now under packages, which is a new section to the medallion app.  

I couldn't find it at the time and even asked the medallion help people how and they couldn't find it.

The bartenders weren't much help either.