Off Discovery yesterday tested positive today

quincytoo

First time getting COVID 

Woke up yesterday feeling slightly off with mild sore throat but blamed the AC

Off the ship at 7:30 home at 8 pm 

woke up today and looking for the semi truck that ran me over 

Test was positive 

Do I contact Princess to let them know or is it just kinda expected like catching a cold or flu 

Had a great cruise and now it makes sense the last sea day I was so tired and spent most of my day in stateroom watching Love Boat

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, quincytoo said:

First time getting COVID 

Test was positive 

Do I contact Princess to let them know or is it just kinda expected like catching a cold or flu 

Had a great cruise and now it makes sense the last sea day I was so tired and spent most of my day in stateroom watching Love Boat

Exact same thing happened to me in early January.  I was so tired the last day too.  Got home, tested and was positive.  Luckily I had a mild case because I was prescribed Plaxlovid the day I got home.

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, quincytoo said:

First time getting COVID 

Test was positive 

No reason to contact Princess.  It didn't impact your cruise.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, quincytoo said:

First time getting COVID 

Test was positive 

Once your off the ship, they’re not involved anymore.

I’d call your Dr and ask if you need to take anything.

Hope you’re better soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Once your off the ship, they’re not involved anymore.

I’d call your Dr and ask if you need to take anything.

Hope you’re better soon.

Thank you 

phoning doctors tomorrow 

I wasn’t sure if they were still tallying numbers 

Cruise was great 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, quincytoo said:

I didn’t imply it did 

I wasn’t sure if they are still tallying numbers 

Honesty, Princess doesn’t even want to know.  What happens after you disembark is no longer their problem or their concern.  They love folks like you who didn’t test positive on their watch.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, suekel said:

Actually, they really don't need to know and honestly I'm sure they would rather not know.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Did you wear a mask during the cruise?

No mask didn’t see many of them at all during 

if I had been showing symptoms I would have masked up or better yet isolated 

I thought the mild sore throat yesterday was from the AC

Today’s deep hacking cough, 102.3 fever coupled with severe body aches had me testing positive 

2 hours ago, suekel said:

The reason to contact princess is so they can decide for themselves whether they want to contact trace other passengers.  

Seukel may have some sort of theory as to why it’s not a good reason to inform Princess.  But most people would think it’s a kind thing you could do with a 3 second email.  

That sucks that you got sick.  But your attitude about it is inspiring.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing.  I am guessing you flew home to B.C.  I am wondering what the correct protocol is? 

I had a friend that contacted covid on a non-cruise.  Someone close came down with Covid the day before person was to leave. Tested Negative.  Flew home.  Tested positive.

Covid is not over.  Covid is not as deadly.  Covid is highly transmissible.  So what is one to do?

• Like 6

I tested positive the day after I got home from my Discovery b2b last April.  I had been around the same Princess employees every day in the MDR, buffet (chef), coffee bar, and room steward so I called and let them know so they could test just in case.  I have food allergies so the same employees help me every day so it was easy to know who I had been around.  

Drink lots of Gatorade and eat even if you don’t feel like it.  Take care and get well soon.  

• Like 3

Hope you feel better soon.  I agree with MSoCalCruiser. I think it would be a courtesy to the hard working crew you were in close contact with like your room steward or dining staff if you informed Princess. We were on the Discovery a few months ago and staff were still wearing masks.  Are the staff wearing masks?  They live in very close quarters and perhaps they would appreciate knowing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

The reason to contact princess is so they can decide for themselves whether they want to contact trace other passengers.  

In a perfect world yes, but in the real world they're going to have try to withhold their laughter until the call ends.  Once you're off the ship it's not their problem anymore. 

Even onboard I haven't heard of the cruiselines doing contact tracing in ages.  They just quarantine anyone in the positive person's cabin until they've tested negative for a certain time period, unless they're also positive or choose to isolate with the positive passenger even if negative.  They're certainly not going to contract trace thousands of passengers after they've debarked and gone their own separate ways.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

In a perfect world yes, but in the real world they're going to have try to withhold their laughter until the call ends.  Once you're off the ship it's not their problem anymore. 

Even onboard I haven't heard of the cruiselines doing contact tracing in ages.  They just quarantine anyone in the positive person's cabin until they've tested negative for a certain time period, unless they're also positive or choose to isolate with the positive passenger even if negative.  They're certainly not going to contract trace thousands of passengers after they've debarked and gone their own separate ways.

True that!
Contract tracing has been gone world wide a long time ago.

Princess might have tried to do it when start up first begun but, bet it was more lip service then reality (just never had the labor force to even try).

• Like 1

When it comes to COVID, what are the odds that only one person in close quarters has it?  Remember the Diamond Princess and Ruby Princess in 2020?

The some of the crew probably already tested positive on the Discovery Princess.  There are already protocols in place for the ship's crew in regards to testing and quarantining.  I remember during a full crew muster drill in December 2022, the captain, in his announcement over the loudspeaker, stated that crew in quarantine were not to participate.  I took that as meaning some of the crew tested positive for COVID. 

One passenger reporting post-cruise won't make a difference to Princess.  It would just be bad publicity for them if word were to get out.

Hope you make a full recovery soon!

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Princess might have tried to do it when start up first begun but, bet it was more lip service then reality (just never had the labor force to even try).

If any cruiseline had the ability to contract trace it would have been Princess with passenger movement and location info from the medallions, but I think that idea quickly went out the window with the number of people testing positive and requiring quarantine once masking and most vaccination requirements went away and the ships resumed sailing full or almost full. 

Contract tracing would have identified that at some point almost everyone on the ship had close contact with someone who later tested positive, effectively relegating most of the ship (including crew) to quarantine in their cabins and causing most onboard activities and functions to grind to a halt, included Medical which was at the time overwhelmed by the number of confirmed positive cases alone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

Seukel may have some sort of theory as to why it’s not a good reason to inform Princess.  But most people would think it’s a kind thing you could do with a 3 second email.  

Honestly, there is no one to inform.  Contact tracing was eliminated years ago.  You could send a generic email to Princess that would be deleted as soon as read.  It sounds like a very responsible thing to do, but in reality it would be an effort in futility.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Honestly, there is no one to inform.  Contact tracing was eliminated years ago.  You could send a generic email to Princess that would be deleted as soon as read.  It sounds like a very responsible thing to do, but in reality it would be an effort in futility.

I think you are right.

They are only concerned when on the ship. Once off the ship - they don't care. I would even argue that they are not concerned on the ship as we had a very sick ship in November and while they asked people to report illnesses, we had a ton of people walking around sick (and reported testing positive once home).

I don't know if they are still doing this but crew were often quarantined once they got on the ship before they interacted with passengers - that may explain what the Captain said in an earlier comment.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

After our ill-fated Coral Princess cruise where MANY people got sick after most likely contracting the virus onboard, Princess made no inquiries as to who was sick. 

3 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

If any cruiseline had the ability to contract trace it would have been Princess with passenger movement and location info from the medallions, but I think that idea quickly went out the window with the number of people testing positive and requiring quarantine once masking and most vaccination requirements went away and the ships resumed sailing full or almost full. 

Contract tracing would have identified that at some point almost everyone on the ship had close contact with someone who later tested positive, effectively relegating most of the ship (including crew) to quarantine in their cabins and causing most onboard activities and functions to grind to a halt, included Medical which was at the time overwhelmed by the number of confirmed positive cases alone.

Which is what happened to us on the Coral.