Specialty Restaurants - Entitlements and Extra Reservations

Stickman1990

Just now, suzeluvscruz said:

Surely you’ve seen the plaque of 100+ society members on each ship? On Symphony it’s just across from A Propos next to the railing. I don’t remember where it is on Serenity. There were more and more names added each year, sadly many have gone to that perfect cruise ship in the sky. 

That's the point - so many of them are no longer cruising, and the list is pretty small.

40 minutes ago, gwesq said:

I wonder if there was either a misunderstanding or someone misspoke, and they meant 100 nights, not 100 cruises?  100 cruises is ridiculous - how many people are there who currently cruise that have that many?   

See post #36.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Surely you’ve seen the plaque of 100+ society members on each ship? On Symphony it’s just across from A Propos next to the railing. I don’t remember where it is on Serenity. There were more and more names added each year, sadly many have gone to that perfect cruise ship in the sky. 

On the Symphony it is on deck 5 to the left of the Reception  on the wall outside the men's restroom.

Is this much ado about nothing? We can afford a $$$$ cruise but we don't want to pay $50 to eat at Nobu (or whatever it will be)?

On my last Crystal cruise (days before Covid), I was allowed unlimited access to all dining because of my cabin category. I booked late, and maybe I was slow on the draw, but I could only get one Umi Uma reservation over 2 weeks. And yes, that is one of the very few things I asked my butler for help. (The rest of the time he got off.) So, cabin category or 100 cruises didn't seem to matter. 

But I didn't really care, because 1) The cuisine in Waterside was so very good I didn't worry about eating anywhere else and 2) There is a Nobu restaurant in my city, so I can eat there any time I want.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gwesq said:

I wonder if there was either a misunderstanding or someone misspoke, and they meant 100 nights, not 100 cruises?  100 cruises is ridiculous - how many people are there who currently cruise that have that many?   

There are many of us but not generally on just the one cruise line.

5 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

To me it’s beginning to sound a lot NOT like old Crystal, which is puzzling since the new owner bought it because he loved it. 

I'm not even sure that Manfredi ever went on a Crystal ship.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

To me it’s beginning to sound a lot NOT like old Crystal, which is puzzling since the new owner bought it because he loved it. 

I thought he bought it b/c he loved owning a cruise line.

Edited by May B
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, TER777 said:

On the Symphony it is on deck 5 to the left of the Reception  on the wall outside the men's restroom.

That's one way of putting it.  Another is that it is just adjacent to the Cove.  Sounds more hygienic that way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

That's one way of putting it.  Another is that it is just adjacent to the Cove.  Sounds more hygienic that way.

I agree with that.

Us women always got a chuckle out of our names being on the wall outside the men’s room. For those who don’t know and are wondering what is outside the ladies’ room, it’s the officers names and photos display. 

• Like 4

Do the research before just saying.

Manfredi did sail on a Crystal vessel and was very impressed.

We were too. 

And the rest is history.

By he way on Serenity the list of major milestones was displayed on Deck 6 and not by a restroom.  

On Endeavor although they really mess up on the list it was not near a restroom either.

I do have a list because I took photos of those who have 100+ sailings.  For me it brings some tears to men eyes as at least 30 of those listed are not with us anymore.

Keith

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Do the research before just saying.

Manfredi did sail on a Crystal vessel and was very impressed.

So given you’ve done the research when did he sail on Crystal? Was there a report on just what he was impressed with?

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

So given you’ve done the research when did he sail on Crystal? Was there a report on just what he was impressed with?

Yes there was a report on it.

Google is your friend.

You just have to work hard to find it.

I found it before he purchased the two ships this gave me confidence back in the day when I said I am hopeful. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Next we'll all be using Wikipedia for our factual information 🙄

LOL.    🤫

In all seriousness, most people in the industry do sail other lines.  Smart to do that for a number of reasons. And very wise across most areas of hospitality services if not most industries IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 5:52 PM, TER777 said:

A friend called Crystal today and was told NC will provide unlimited complimentary visits for those with 100+ cruises. 

This might have been covered already but just in case the good news is for those guests with 50+ Milestone Crystal Society sailings the reservation fees are waived at the specialty restaurants.

It is noted on page 22 of the before you sail guide.

Keith

• Like 1

I have tried to hold back my thoughts BUT all this talk about milestone sounds so very elitist and like a good ole boys club...You make someone like my husband and I who only book the Crystal Penthouse when we go on the Serenity like 2nd class citizens. We happen to travel Regent and Crystal and fortunately are able to book the "Big Boy Suites". But we are not bragging about where we stay and all our perks. It isn't flattering to hear all this and it makes some people uncomfortable. I know I am going to hear grief on this but this isn't a closed fraternity. I felt relaxed about dining reservations in the specialty dining rooms since we are booked in the Crystal Penthouse, but now it sounds like we have to have competition with 100 hours folks etc.

I am as excited about the ship being back as most of you are and happy to be sailing again. But it sounds like High School to worry about whether our name was on a plague and who knows who etc..I too have some special favorites on board but don't feel the need to name drop!!

We all should thank our blessings just to be able to sail again. AMEN!    Boatie

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:44 AM, Texas Tillie said:

I agree. The Sapphires are priced at 1/3 plus more than the Aquamarines. The only amenities I see as added to the Sapphires are the coffee maker and 1 bag of laundry ever 10 days. Also the size of the cabin.

Patty

We booked Sapphire on our first two cruises but have decided for our third cruise to book the Aquamarine. With the money we save we figure we can eat in Umi Uma a lot more times since the cocktail parties in the rooms, ordering from the specialty restaurants and unlimited  meals in the specialties are no longer a perk. The Aquamarine cabin is certainly large enough and luxurious enough.

• Like 1

Boatie makes some excellent points about how exciting Crystal's return is.  But on the issue of class, it can be argued that the people in Crystal Penthouse ARE second-class citizens – as are all of us guests on Crystal.  The first-class citizens (if one were to assign class based on access to afloat accommodations and perks) are the owners of mega-yachts who have the wherewithal to buy the boat and pay for crew and expenses on a sustained basis.  People who can afford to do that are not Crystal guests, to be sure.  We who are fortunate enough to cruise Crystal get to emulate that first-class lifestyle from time to time, and we have had wonderful experiences doing that.  But for each of us, the cruise does end, because we are all guests.  As to one small detail, for what it’s worth, we Thosbies have never thought of the wonderful people we meet aboard Crystal as competing with us for dinner reservations.  We’re all in the same boat, as it were, in regard to the vicissitudes of cruising.  If dining where and when we want is among our biggest worries, it is a measure of how fortunate we are to be Crystal’s guests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boatie 1 said:

I have tried to hold back my thoughts BUT all this talk about milestone sounds so very elitist and like a good ole boys club...You make someone like my husband and I who only book the Crystal Penthouse when we go on the Serenity like 2nd class citizens. We happen to travel Regent and Crystal and fortunately are able to book the "Big Boy Suites". But we are not bragging about where we stay and all our perks. It isn't flattering to hear all this and it makes some people uncomfortable. I know I am going to hear grief on this but this isn't a closed fraternity. I felt relaxed about dining reservations in the specialty dining rooms since we are booked in the Crystal Penthouse, but now it sounds like we have to have competition with 100 hours folks etc.

I am as excited about the ship being back as most of you are and happy to be sailing again. But it sounds like High School to worry about whether our name was on a plague and who knows who etc..I too have some special favorites on board but don't feel the need to name drop!!

We all should thank our blessings just to be able to sail again. AMEN!    Boatie

There is a good ole boy group on this board, for sure. But remember that the vast majority of Crystal cruisers have never visited CC or any of the other social networks. I’ve rarely met anyone onboard who even knew about CC. Believe me, most guests couldn’t care less how many bolts are on deck 7. 

Even as a PH guest I’ve been bumped off a “reserved” Avenue stool a time or two. I just moved to another seat and made different friends. 

Edited by Cruise-y

1 hour ago, thosby said:

Boatie makes some excellent points about how exciting Crystal's return is.  But on the issue of class, it can be argued that the people in Crystal Penthouse ARE second-class citizens – as are all of us guests on Crystal.  The first-class citizens (if one were to assign class based on access to afloat accommodations and perks) are the owners of mega-yachts who have the wherewithal to buy the boat and pay for crew and expenses on a sustained basis.  People who can afford to do that are not Crystal guests, to be sure.  We who are fortunate enough to cruise Crystal get to emulate that first-class lifestyle from time to time, and we have had wonderful experiences doing that.  But for each of us, the cruise does end, because we are all guests.  As to one small detail, for what it’s worth, we Thosbies have never thought of the wonderful people we meet aboard Crystal as competing with us for dinner reservations.  We’re all in the same boat, as it were, in regard to the vicissitudes of cruising.  If dining where and when we want is among our biggest worries, it is a measure of how fortunate we are to be Crystal’s guests.

I love your analogy to being in the same boat.  I also see people as people and being in the same boa as you do.

IMHO:

The purpose of an affinity program (milestones) is several-fold but in the end it is to promote and encourage people to use a product whether it is points on an airline, number or days of cruising a cruise line, points at a grocery store giving you discounts.  I don't equate this to elitism.  

Same goes for where one stays on the ship or for that matter saying a luxury line or a mass market line. Friends of ours who could buy a yacht prefer RCI.  Another one prefers Carnival.  

People are people. When you choose to sail with 500 to 750 of them or whatever the number you will meet people like yourself along with a whole range of people. Some people are genuinely interested in learning about there fellow guest while there are always a few who only want to tell you about themselves and how many homes they own, or where they shop, or what cars they drive.  That's life.

For me I don't equate the number of cruises or an affinity program to elitism or bragging and see this way different than someone who tells you all about what they own.  

On dining if you sail 50 or more cruises the idea isn't to give one priority over others to book reservations but rather it means you don't have to pay the specialty restaurant fee. It was just an affinity reward.  When I had one cruise and met people with many more I never thought of them as being an elitist.  And when someone says they are getting something free, I say to myself really. Think how much  money they spent to take 50 cruises.  If I had 5 cruises and paid $50.00  (total $100.00) for a couple of extra nights in the scheme of things it will have meant a whole less amount of money out of my pocket than if I took enough cruises not to pay the fee.  😁

But like all things we all see things through our own eyes.

Keith

I did not see it posted on this thread:  It is confirmed that specialty restaurant fees are waived for full world cruise guests...just as they were with OC.

Full World Cruise Guests: All Specialty Restaurant reservation fees will be
waived. One complimentary reservation or visit per Specialty Restaurant
venue per World Cruise segment may be booked via GIF prior to the voyage.
Additional complimentary reservations or visits will need to be confirmed on
board the ship after the voyage begins.