Should an experienced cruiser try MSC?

seacruise9

Hi, 

I am an experienced cruiser (99 cruises) and my favorite lines are Princess, Celebrity and Cunard. I am in my late 50s and began cruising as a child back in the 1960s. I recently cruised aboard the Celebrity Beyond and had a wonderful time. I greatly enjoy the food, service and entertainment on the newer Celebrity and Princess ships.

In Puerto Plata, the Celebrity Beyond was docked next to the MSC Seascape. I am very interested in ship design and was impressed by the exterior of the ship. I recently requested a status match with MSC and was granted Diamond status based on my Elite status with Princess. 

I am considering a seven-day Caribbean cruise on the MSC Seascape for May 2024. I would be cruising solo and noticed that single occupancy of one of the interior Yacht Club staterooms is comparable to what I typically pay for a standard balcony stateroom on Celebrity or Princess.

I have read some very negative comments about this ship overall but I also have read very positive comments concerning the Yacht Club.

Would you recommend trying the MSC Seascape in Yacht Club or should I stick with Celebrity and Princess? I like to try new ships and different cruise lines, but I am not sure if this ship would be good choice for me. 

Thanks,

Chuck

Do the Yacht Club. You have the option to check out the other areas of the ship when you want but will enjoy the respite. Just realize that about half of the passengers may have English as a second language, which we enjoy but some passengers that expect American centric cruising. The price of Yacht Club is rising so experience it at lower cost than other lines right now. Also be prepared on 1st day safety drill to walk down and up many flights of stairs. 😉

• Like 1

We love celebrity and have Ascent booked already when it joins the fleet next year. Apex was our first time on a brand new ship when debuted in 2021 and it made us only want to sail new ships. After that we sailed on MSC Seashore and although it wasn’t as great as the Apex experience, it was amazing in its own right. On X we usually book aqua class so on MSC we chose Aurea. MSC is not as elevated as Celebrity, but for a more mainstream family oriented cruise line it is more elegant than say RCCL or Norwegian.

• Like 1

MSC Yacht Club is a higher level than MSC Aurea is a higher level than MSC Fantastica is a higher level than MSC Bella. 

Celebrity Retreat is a higher level than "standard" Celebrity. 

NCL Haven is a higher level than "standard" NCL.

Yacht Club, Retreat, and Haven are similar in many ways with the "ship within a ship" concept. Reviews from someone inside of the enclave can be vastly different than reviews from someone outside of the enclave. 

I recommend trying the Yacht Club but I also recommend reading the MSC forum to learn how MSC does many things differently than other lines. I also recommend not allowing either MSC's IT issues or MSC's (often) less than spectacular phone rep customer service dissuade you from trying MSC. The experience ON the ship can be the exact opposite of the experience OFF of the ship. The experience on the ship is why people (myself included) continue to sail MSC Yacht Club.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC Yacht Club is a higher level than MSC Aurea is a higher level than MSC Fantastica is a higher level than MSC Bella. 

Celebrity Retreat is a higher level than "standard" Celebrity. 

NCL Haven is a higher level than "standard" NCL.

Yacht Club, Retreat, and Haven are similar in many ways with the "ship within a ship" concept. Reviews from someone inside of the enclave can be vastly different than reviews from someone outside of the enclave. 

I recommend trying the Yacht Club but I also recommend reading the MSC forum to learn how MSC does many things differently than other lines. I also recommend not allowing either MSC's IT issues or MSC's (often) less than spectacular phone rep customer service dissuade you from trying MSC. The experience ON the ship can be the exact opposite of the experience OFF of the ship. The experience on the ship is why people (myself included) continue to sail MSC Yacht Club.   

This is why I decided to try MSC again.  I originally had a cruise booked in January 2020 and because of the IT department, the hold times, the incompetent CSR every time we called, we decided to just book with Celebrity.  I swore I would never ever book with this cruise line again. About 2 months ago, my husband got an email from MSC for some deal and said why don't we try again?  So I researched a bit and found 2 cruises December 2023 Divinia and April 2024 Seascape.  Both Yacht club as I knew this would probably be the only way I would like to experience MSC.  But truthfully, the PRICE of the YC rooms were cheaper then regular balconies on Celebrity and RCCL.  And the private Island of OC looked so much more attractive than Coco Cay.  Just the fact that the Yacht Club had their own beach unlike Coco Cay really sold me.  Plus the little things like wifi for 2 devices pp was attractive.  The big selling point to my husband who for some reason loves interior rooms for sleeping was the YC interior room on the Seascape.  This cruise is for his 60th and that's what he wanted.  I am glad I gave MSC a 2nd chance and am trying the Yacht club experience.  And I have moved a cabin with no difficulty already as I didn't like what I picked originally.  I really liked the fact a Yacht club concierge has helped me with a 2nd booking and has reached out every 2 weeks now to see how he could help.  I never got that before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, REOVA said:

...Also be prepared on 1st day safety drill to walk down and up many flights of stairs. 😉

We have our first MSC sailing next month (Seaside). Tell me about this... does MSC still have (old school) safety drills? Inside/outside? 

Carnival was the worst (pre-Covid), owing to the sardine packed masses under the lifeboats (typically) that could last 20+ minutes, sometimes in the sun w/no breeze. Some very uncomfortable times were had... 

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We have our first MSC sailing next month (Seaside). Tell me about this... does MSC still have (old school) safety drills? Inside/outside? 

Carnival was the worst (pre-Covid), owing to the sardine packed masses under the lifeboats (typically) that could last 20+ minutes, sometimes in the sun w/no breeze. Some very uncomfortable times were had... 

Thanks

Like some others, you watch the TV and then walk down steps to your designated deck and get your card scanned during the drill and go back after you are scanned. It's not like the prior days of everyone packed outside and standing around watching instructions on life vests. (But still people walking down the staircases - no elevator). However we never did look at which tender outside was ours. 🤔

• Thanks 1

We have our first non-Royal Caribbean sailing booked with MSC for Feb 2024 on Seashore.  We love cruising with RC and are finally at their diamond level.  However, with the prices of cruises over the next two years, we decided to save a little and try something different.  MSC appears to be up and coming in the US which is good (more true competition).  For an interior YC room, it is still cheaper than an older balcony RC booking with the same number of days.  So, we are giving up the balcony to try something different and everything I have read about the YC made me want to try it that way.  Might as well give ourselves the best shot at a good experience.

2 minutes ago, RCFirstTimer said:

We have our first non-Royal Caribbean sailing booked with MSC for Feb 2024 on Seashore.  We love cruising with RC and are finally at their diamond level.  However, with the prices of cruises over the next two years, we decided to save a little and try something different.  MSC appears to be up and coming in the US which is good (more true competition).  For an interior YC room, it is still cheaper than an older balcony RC booking with the same number of days.  So, we are giving up the balcony to try something different and everything I have read about the YC made me want to try it that way.  Might as well give ourselves the best shot at a good experience.

You might want to rethink your CC name - lol 

🙂

Tom

Not been on Princess.  Don't fit their demographic.  Have been on Celebrity and MSC.  Celebrity gets a lot of chatter for being upscale.  Do not find them to be any different than the other mainstream lines.  Try MSC.  If you like the itinerary, go for it.  MSC has its quirks, but we love it.

Everyone has an opinion!
We have over 100 cruises on many cruise lines. Normally cruise 10 times a year. This year we are on RCI, MSC, CELEBRITY & NCL.
Do we have a favorite? No, each line has it's plus & minus.
Best food Celebrity
Best entertainment RCI
Best bang for $ MSC
Best perks NCL
Bottom line, try any line once. Only you can decide if it is for you or not.
Happy Cruising!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RCFirstTimer said:

We decided to try MSC after many cruises on RC and Celebrity. To date we've been on Seashore and Meraviglia, both times in the YC. We found the YC experience to nicer than suite class on RC and X. 

I just wish that the YC balconies were a bit larger. You have to make a big jump ($ wise) to the Royal Suite to get any kind of sizable balcony. When you hit the RS level on Celebrity, at least they throw in free specialty dining. 🙂

Looking forward to seeing what MSC is all about !

Tom

57 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I just wish that the YC balconies were a bit larger. You have to make a big jump ($ wise) to the Royal Suite to get any kind of sizable balcony. When you hit the RS level on Celebrity, at least they throw in free specialty dining. 🙂

Tom

For what you pay for the Royal Suite, you should get a lot more! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

For what you pay for the Royal Suite, you should get a lot more! LOL

No doubt, on either line !

I've been tempted a couple of times to try Celebrity Edge class (specifically the Beyond), and checked out their RS. What a step backwards, at least with regard to the balcony. They have better balconies in a few lower level suites. We're more about the balcony than the room (everything else being equal) - but having at least 1.5 baths is a plus. 🙂

Tom

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

You might want to rethink your CC name - lol 

🙂

Tom

Right?  I made it before our first ever cruise, but now I can't change it.  I assume you have to get a moderator involved or some special request - which is too much trouble...

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

It looks like the balcony we'll have for our upcoming Seascape cruise is pretty big. (It's the room with the walk-in closet.) Was hoping to get our butler to put a lounger out there for us.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RCFirstTimer said:

Right?  I made it before our first ever cruise, but now I can't change it.  I assume you have to get a moderator involved or some special request - which is too much trouble...

Create a new user with a new name. That would be the easy way.

40 minutes ago, RCFirstTimer said:

Interesting read HERE as to how the Goo Goo Dolls got their name, and then decided they'd better stick with it. 🙂

Tom

I have sailed on most cruise lines except for Silver Seas, Viking, and Oceania.  I sailed in the YC in January 2020 and loved the experience.  I enjoyed the service in the Yacht Club much more than my Seabourn sailing.  Post Covid, we sailed on the Enchanted Princess (mini-suite, Club Class), Apex (Aqua and Sunset Verandas, and the Edge, Sunset Veranda).  While my 2022 Apex sailing was fantastic, we were shocked at the lower quality and food selections after X changed on January 1st.  We would have sailed post-Covid with MSC, but the itineraries were not to our liking.  We were happy that their New England/Canada itinerary checked off all our boxes, and we are booked on the Mera in October.   The cost for a balcony YC stateroom was a bargain.  I think you will enjoy the YC experience.  The vibe in the YC lounge is very much like a private club.  We found our fellow passengers to be friendly and enjoyed socializing with several after the cruise.    

• Like 4

I have cruised 9 companies, this msc splendida was a tough go compared to the others.  With all of the other cruiselines when a problem occurs it gets taken care of.  MSC is a different animal, Laissez faire and good enough seems to be their motto.  Their prices are  very competitive now so I would do them again just be advised they do things differently.  The food was good , a lot of swimming pools, but not much else going on with the splendida

22 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am an experienced cruiser (99 cruises) and my favorite lines are Princess, Celebrity and Cunard. I am in my late 50s and began cruising as a child back in the 1960s. I recently cruised aboard the Celebrity Beyond and had a wonderful time. I greatly enjoy the food, service and entertainment on the newer Celebrity and Princess ships.

In Puerto Plata, the Celebrity Beyond was docked next to the MSC Seascape. I am very interested in ship design and was impressed by the exterior of the ship. I recently requested a status match with MSC and was granted Diamond status based on my Elite status with Princess. 

I am considering a seven-day Caribbean cruise on the MSC Seascape for May 2024. I would be cruising solo and noticed that single occupancy of one of the interior Yacht Club staterooms is comparable to what I typically pay for a standard balcony stateroom on Celebrity or Princess.

I have read some very negative comments about this ship overall but I also have read very positive comments concerning the Yacht Club.

Would you recommend trying the MSC Seascape in Yacht Club or should I stick with Celebrity and Princess? I like to try new ships and different cruise lines, but I am not sure if this ship would be good choice for me. 

Thanks,

Chuck

No one on this board knows anything about you or your likes/dislikes.  Asking random people on the internet for their 'recommendation' of anything is silly.  Making your own informed decision is probably best.

• Like 1