Caviar and included beverages

T^2

It's been about four years since my last Seabourn cruise.  Planning on a 2024 Panama Canal cruise.  Is caviar in the surf/snow the only option?  Anyone have an update on the included alcohol beverages?

As stated above, you can order caviar any time and place: to a lounge or to your room. I don't know what sort of "update" you're seeking on alcoholic beverages. Nothing has changed in terms of what's included. Wines on the included list are, of course, ever-changing and vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. (Some recent reports indicate a much smaller list of included wines than in the past, but we'll need more data points to determine if this is a fleet-wide change policy change or just ongoing issues with global sourcing.)

Sorry for being obtuse.  I looked on the Seabourn web site and only saw Caviar in the Surf/Snow.  I wasn't sure if the on-demand caviar is still available.  Not that it would prevent me from going on another cruise Seabourn cruise.  Don't let Seabourn know that.  As for the alcohol beverages, was just curious if there were any changes in the last four years.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

I've had caviar delivered to the O-Bar any night that suits my fancy. It usually arrives in no more than 10 minutes.

Over time they’ve gotten a lot better at how quickly they can serve caviar in the Obs Bar - they have some number of orders pre-staged there so they don’t have to specially order it.  A few years ago (at least our experience) there could be some delay but more recently it’s been pretty fast.  

38 minutes ago, T^2 said:

Sorry for being obtuse.  I looked on the Seabourn web site and only saw Caviar in the Surf/Snow.  I wasn't sure if the on-demand caviar is still available.  Not that it would prevent me from going on another cruise Seabourn cruise.  Don't let Seabourn know that.  As for the alcohol beverages, was just curious if there were any changes in the last four years.  Thanks.

I've never seen a notice while onboard that you could order caviar anytime/anywhere.  We knew we could order and have it because of what we have read online in forums like this one.  It seems to not be well advertised.  

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

I've never seen a notice while onboard that you could order caviar anytime/anywhere.  We knew we could order and have it because of what we have read online in forums like this one.  It seems to not be well advertised.  

Not entirely surprising - it is quite pricey and a fiddle to put together for the staff.  I have seen passengers who suddenly realised it was always available, and seemed to order it practically constantly; not I suspect because they loved it but because it is seen as a special thing to do and boast about  back home.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Not entirely surprising - it is quite pricey and a fiddle to put together for the staff.  I have seen passengers who suddenly realised it was always available, and seemed to order it practically constantly; not I suspect because they loved it but because it is seen as a special thing to do and boast about  back home.  

Indeed

You get the crowd that never have caviar at home.

It's a bit like the Butler scenario they must have one when on a ship and can't do without one but they don't have a Butler at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Caviar on tap  is yet another reason i would avoid Seabourn especially given the zero Cognac fiasco on Grand Pacific Cruise

Okay we get it, you hate Seabourn and love Regent. Talk about beating a dead horse on this Seabourn board.🙄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think you've nailed it! The same can be said for champagne. Both have snobbism appeal. I don't particularly like either one but I find it's okay to order them if you truly enjoy them & do not go overboard (pardon the pun) simply because you want to brag about it.

Seabourn could discontinue caviar anytime/anywhere and I would not be disappointed.  At most, we order it once or twice on a three week cruise.  We like it--but often forget about it and don't like it so much that it is very important.  

We are also not big champagne drinkers.  I do enjoy a Kir Royale and prefer champagne served that way unless it is very high quality champagne.  

As an added note, I think some people feel like they have to squeeze out  every last dollar of value on their SB cruise--thus the constant ordering of champagne and caviar.  Tell me if you think I am wrong.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SLSD said:

Seabourn could discontinue caviar anytime/anywhere and I would not be disappointed.  At most, we order it once or twice on a three week cruise.  We like it--but often forget about it and don't like it so much that it is very important.  

We are also not big champagne drinkers.  I do enjoy a Kir Royale and prefer champagne served that way unless it is very high quality champagne.  

As an added note, I think some people feel like they have to squeeze out  every last dollar of value on their SB cruise--thus the constant ordering of champagne and caviar.  Tell me if you think I am wrong.  

It's probably a novelty to some people who never indulge at home.

• Like 1

My wife doesn't like caviar and doesn't drink alcohol (what a waste of an all-inclusive cruise, eh??)

On the other hand, I enjoy caviar (and I do have it at home - Kelly's Katch or Joseph's Market are the two places I'll buy from).  

So I have been known to order caviar for 2 to the room on a cruise and wind up eating both.

• Like 1

There was a couple on our Spirit transatlanic years ago, who would sit at the Sky Bar and order caviar for six, and then wolf it all down between the two of them.

It is always nice to have the option, but as we prefer to cruise in tropical waters  we find that caviar is not really the thing for very hot weather. I like it with french fries.

52 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

There was a couple on our Spirit transatlanic years ago, who would sit at the Sky Bar and order caviar for six, and then wolf it all down between the two of them.

As my son likes to say "this is why we can't have nice things". It's such a nice treat periodically, and puts a smile on many people's faces. And then there are those who do this, and cause it to disappear for everyone ... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

It is always nice to have the option, but as we prefer to cruise in tropical waters  we find that caviar is not really the thing for very hot weather. I like it with french fries.

That's just a bit obnoxious.  Caviar for 6?  I call that committing the sin of gluttony.

I've never heard of it with french fries.  I have heard of it with potato chips.  

I like it with blinis and creme fresh, and that's it.  No other accompaniments - like egg, or onion, or whatever.  I think those are used to mask the flavor of bad caviar, not to enhance good caviar.  But that's just my opinion.

Well Seabourn french fries specifically. It's the contrast between the creaminess, blandness and crunchiness of the fries and the saltiness, fishiness and silkiness of the caviar. Its an unexpected synergy, like oysters and Guiness.

Edited by Flamin_June
spelling