Solarium adults only... Not so much. 😐

want2seaitall

23 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

In our school district,  if you take your child out for a non doctor approved/excused reason for more than 4.5 days in a row, they have to repeat the grade. This was made clear to all parents from day one. This was the policy when our kids were in school a few years back. Not sure it is still in effect, but it should be. 

As it should be!

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 1:09 AM, odyssyus said:

Diapers on babies, Depends on Seniors.   Everyone pee's in the hot tub/pool...Everyone.

With babies in diapers it's not the pee you need to worry about. Urine is reasonable sterile compared to what else might leak out, and that could make people really sick. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, debsjc said:

With babies in diapers it's not the pee you need to worry about. Urine is reasonable sterile compared to what else might leak out, and that could make people really sick. 

And we wonder where the Norovirus comes from 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Painter4me said:

As it should be!

Thank god we don’t live there! Our kids would be still in school and they’re in their 20s. We very often took them out of school last week before the summer holidays as they never did any proper work that week.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vwlmember said:

In our school district,  if you take your child out for a non doctor approved/excused reason for more than 4.5 days in a row, they have to repeat the grade. This was made clear to all parents from day one. This was the policy when our kids were in school a few years back. Not sure it is still in effect, but it should be. 

My kid has seasonal affective disorder and I need to take them to South America for Christmas.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vwlmember said:

I am confident that that policy is long gone!!  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am confident that that policy is long gone!!  

Just looked. It has been modified. For K-8 it has been removed. For 9-12 it is now 7 days total per semester. More than 7 unexcused days in six months and you stay back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vwlmember said:

Just looked. It has been modified. For K-8 it has been removed. For 9-12 it is now 7 days total per semester. More than 7 unexcused days in six months and you stay back. 

This sounds more like a rule that addresses truancy, not family holidays. 

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Absences affect funding, regardless of the reason. From Parents dot com: "[A]verage daily attendance metric, or ADA, is the driver behind the school getting finances that pay for staff, resources, and other educational programs. Several states, including California, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, and Texas, use a school district's ADA to determine its funding."

55 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Are these kids pulled out of school doing any homework or remote learning while on vacation?  Or just hanging out at the kid’s club?

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are these kids pulled out of school doing any homework or remote learning while on vacation?  Or just hanging out at the kid’s club?

I doubt there is much being done in the schoolwork dept during a cruise. I know there are always a few exceptions , I am referring to the overall picture.

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My kids did school work. They were raised in New Jersey where pulling kids out of school for a few days in early November is routine. Google “jersey week” if you care to know why. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

For all grades there is a vacation section in the rules and it specifically states they will not provide any lessons in advance as it places an unnecessary burden on the staff. All missed work has to be completed within five school days after return from absence or it is recorded as zeros for grading. 

• Like 1

no objection to family swim time  for an hr or two in the Solarium pool if weather is bad outdoors  but not ever for anyone who needs to use swim diapers

children under 14 should not be in hot tubs and they should not be used as  kiddie pools..too bad most or all  X ships no longer have kids pools

• Like 1

Agree that all parents should respect the rules and confine solarium use to whenever posted.  As an older parent, we strive to make sure our 5 yo is well behaved around others.  At the same time, we pay a substantial sum for him to accompany us in the Retreat section.  If we are going on a cruise in colder climates, shouldn't he also be able to swim in a pool if only for a short period when the outdoor pool is inaccessible?  We always respect the 4-7 family time limits and teach our son to do the same.  We don't use the hot tubs.  I have seen numerous posts throughout these boards for Celebrity expressing a "discomfort" for children on board.  Not generalizing here at all, just hoping that everyone will treat each other courteously so we can all enjoy a well deserved vacation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, docsneeze said:

Agree that all parents should respect the rules and confine solarium use to whenever posted.  As an older parent, we strive to make sure our 5 yo is well behaved around others.  At the same time, we pay a substantial sum for him to accompany us in the Retreat section.  If we are going on a cruise in colder climates, shouldn't he also be able to swim in a pool if only for a short period when the outdoor pool is inaccessible?  We always respect the 4-7 family time limits and teach our son to do the same.  We don't use the hot tubs.  I have seen numerous posts throughout these boards for Celebrity expressing a "discomfort" for children on board.  Not generalizing here at all, just hoping that everyone will treat each other courteously so we can all enjoy a well deserved vacation.

Of course you’re generalizing!  😂😂😂

I would assume a 5 year old is not wearing a diaper yes?

”We pay a substantial sum….”  😂

Most of these posts are about the *behavior* of children.  Do you let your 5 year old run around the ship screaming?  No?  Then there’s no problem, is there?

Edited by zitsky

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Of course you’re generalizing!  😂😂😂

I would assume a 5 year old is not wearing a diaper yes?

”We pay a substantial sum….”  😂

Most of these posts are about the *behavior* of children.  Do you let your 5 year old run around the ship screaming?  No?  Then there’s no problem, is there?

Sorry Zitsky but sadly there are many posts throughout the Celebrity boards that express displeasure with kids around.  I am only focusing on the accessibility of the Solarium pool during cold weather for families at limited times.  There have been many people who feel that kids should not even be allowed on the ship at all.  I have reason to believe that we have all been children at one time.  There are no diaper rules for seniors either.  No, I do not wear diapers yet.  You mock the cost of taking children along but my point is they are just as entitled to use of facilities (with some restrictions of course) as you are!  Other cruise lines have no children facilities like Virgin, Viking, Oceania which we will not sail. We all have a choice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, docsneeze said:

Sorry Zitsky but sadly there are many posts throughout the Celebrity boards that express displeasure with kids around.  I am only focusing on the accessibility of the Solarium pool during cold weather for families at limited times.  There have been many people who feel that kids should not even be allowed on the ship at all.  I have reason to believe that we have all been children at one time.  There are no diaper rules for seniors either.  No, I do not wear diapers yet.  You mock the cost of taking children along but my point is they are just as entitled to use of facilities (with some restrictions of course) as you are!  Other cruise lines have no children facilities like Virgin, Viking, Oceania which we will not sail. We all have a choice.

I was making fun of you for saying we pay a lot of money therefore we can do ABC.  There is a lot of that in this forum.  Just like you made fun of people who don’t like children.  I like children if they’re not screaming and are served at the right temperature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, vwlmember said:

That is a horrible idea. We took our daughter out of school for a 15 night Hawaii cruise and she did her homework everyday in the stateroom and was ahead of the class when she got back. I guess though we were responsible parents though making sure that she did the work, maybe not all do.

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was making fun of you for saying we pay a lot of money therefore we can do ABC.  There is a lot of that in this forum.

That's a Celebrity thing, not a Cruise Critic thing. On Celebrity, you can, in fact, do ABC when you pay a lot of money. The multi-class structure that Celebrity promotes is reflected in this forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

That is a horrible idea. We took our daughter out of school for a 15 night Hawaii cruise and she did her homework everyday in the stateroom and was ahead of the class when she got back. I guess though we were responsible parents though making sure that she did the work, maybe not all do.

Warning.. .virtue signaling in this area...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

Warning.. .virtue signaling in this area...

What, I have had this conversation with teachers on other forums so I put that there because we did make sure she did her work, maybe the responsible was too much. Sure I could have worded it different but the kids being up to date in school is generally the reason they aren't let out. I could give a **** what people think of me lol especially as a parent since I have a working 25 year old living at home. We failed miserably!!!!!!

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

That's a Celebrity thing, not a Cruise Critic thing. On Celebrity, you can, in fact, do ABC when you pay a lot of money. The multi-class structure that Celebrity promotes is reflected in this forum.

You know some of us could choose to be part of that “class structure“ but we choose not to be.  OMG was that pretentious?

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You know some of us could choose to be part of that “class structure“ but we choose not to be.  OMG was that pretentious?

Cary Grant would say I don’t like beautiful people.

Just putting in my two cents worth. As a retired teacher (30+ years) I taught lots of kids whose parents took them out of school. I also taught even more kids who were never taken out of school for any reason and many of those kids did less of their assignments than kids who were pulled out for a vacation. I always figured that if, by the end of the year, the student has learned enough to be promoted, that is all that mattered.

As far as no kids in the Solarium goes, there is another pool. Are the people who take kids to the Solarium trying to get a less crowded spot for themselves and their kids? What percent of the passengers are kids? If it is an adults only area, and people have bought their cruise tickets based on that, perhaps a few lawsuits for false advertising would change things, Common sense and courtesy helps. Obeying the spirit of the law is also a good idea, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1