Solarium adults only... Not so much. 😐

want2seaitall

17 minutes ago, want2seaitall said:

Well not this family. Things escalated to the family members encouraging the child to jump in the hot tub to purposely splash me. The father then said to my husband he is going to make it his personal mission to destroy our trip. All because I questioned staff about the family hours and he must have over heard me. We've filed an official complaint with Sergio head of security who was surprised to hear of these family hours. He himself disagrees with them for the very reason this incident happened. You'll always have the people who don't know how to behave and ruin it for everyone. An enforced adults only atrium is the answer. I'd understand a bend during inclement weather only. He had no idea they'd been put into effect. I will be contacting corporate once home. 

Yikes, that sounded like a threat.  Maybe these people shouldn't be allowed in there at all if they're going to make threats to other passengers.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and hopefully those passengers are advised by ship's staff the proper rules of behavior.  I'm sure threatening to ruin the other guest's cruise is not one of them.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Threatening another passenger can get you put off the ship.

Agree, however proving it may be difficult. Don’t understand parents who take a baby/toddler into a hot tub, especially a public one…so unsafe and unhealthy. And they’ll prob blame the cruise line when their child comes down with a serious oral or ear infection in a few days 🙄🤒

• Like 4

I can understand if the weather is bad.  I can even understand occasional late evening "kids take over the Solarium" on longer cruises as a kids club function.  Disney does this usually at 10PM 1 or 2 nights on longer cruises.   But as a daily thing, no.  No kids.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Agree, however proving it may be difficult. Don’t understand parents who take a baby/toddler into a hot tub, especially a public one…so unsafe and unhealthy. And they’ll prob blame the cruise line when their child comes down with a serious oral or ear infection in a few days 🙄🤒

Actually, there are cameras everywhere on the ships except in private areas like cabins and bathrooms.  I think there's a fair chance that this was captured on video.  I don't like to make waves (pun intended) but I would definitely escalate this to security and whoever else I needed to tell to get this taken care of.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, want2seaitall said:

Well not this family. Things escalated to the family members encouraging the child to jump in the hot tub to purposely splash me. The father then said to my husband he is going to make it his personal mission to destroy our trip. All because I questioned staff about the family hours and he must have over heard me. We've filed an official complaint with Sergio head of security who was surprised to hear of these family hours. He himself disagrees with them for the very reason this incident happened. You'll always have the people who don't know how to behave and ruin it for everyone. An enforced adults only atrium is the answer. I'd understand a bend during inclement weather only. He had no idea they'd been put into effect. I will be contacting corporate once home. 

Waiting until you get home is not the solution. Take it up with the Guest Relations Director and/or Hotel Director on the ship. No need to "rant" explain the actions you have taken and ask them if they would please get the staff to enforce the rules. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

There is always someone that doesn't read or care about a rule.  Hot tubs are not meant for little ones.  As far as staff goes, it is a shame that they can't enforce for fear of offending a paying customer.  SMH  

p.s.  I like kids, I go to Disneyland.

Not sure here, but aren't hot tubs unhealthy for infants and maybe children under a certain age...?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Not sure here, but aren't hot tubs unhealthy for infants and maybe children under a certain age...?

Yes.  Most doctors say not to allow it if they're under 5.  High temps can cause overheating and dehydration pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Actually, there are cameras everywhere on the ships except in private areas like cabins and bathrooms.  I think there's a fair chance that this was captured on video.  I don't like to make waves (pun intended) but I would definitely escalate this to security and whoever else I needed to tell to get this taken care of.  

While the cameras will capture all the parties in the hot tub they won’t prove that the other passenger verbally threatened the OP, unless there’s very good audio recording as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, want2seaitall said:

That isn't very good. I'm sorry this happened. It would really put a damper on my cruise as it has yours.

I'm pretty sure that family hours used to happen only during inclement weather - like on TransAtlantics (when there were few kids anyways).  Maybe with enough noise, that policy will come back. 

• Like 1

Guest CunucuMom
47 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

While the cameras will capture all the parties in the hot tub they won’t prove that the other passenger verbally threatened the OP, unless there’s very good audio recording as well. 

Even if the cameras don't capture clear audio, the tape should clearly show the toddler being encouraged to splash the other guests in the hot tub.  I'm so sorry this is happening to the OP and her hubby; even worse having to deal with rude, threatening  behavior at the commencement of their cruise.

2 hours ago, want2seaitall said:

That sounds frightening. The world has become a strange place lately. Last summer, in Florence, I had a woman hit me with a souvenir fan (the ones they sell to fan yourself with in hot destinations) because she said I was blocking her husband's video taping a street performer with his iPhone. I was shocked. I had no idea I was blocking her husband's view. 🤷🏼‍♀️

The videos that I see online of poor behavior on airplanes are almost weekly and also on cruise ships are shocking. I have to hope that there is no one causing an outburst on my upcoming flights that will cause the plane to turn around and disrupt my trip. The way flight attendants and crew are treated is horrible.

On my last celebrity cruise in the Mediterranean last summer, I witnessed an older woman raising her voice and admonishing a crew member for clearing her orange juice while she was getting food. I felt so badly for the crew member. He handled it very gracefully, but it was a sad commentary on our world. (And no, she wasn't from the US). 

This man has threatened you. He wants to ruin your trip. Your mood is no doubt soured and you are probably fatigued already from travel. You've done the right thing and you've reported it to security. They will address it and it is not the first time that they have been confronted with a situation such as this. I'm sure they've seen everything. The only bad thing is that it is your word against his.

My advice to you is to practice de-escalation and avoidance. If he does confront you, don't get sucked into the fight. The ship is a big enough place for everyone. If you see him acting on his threat, your ONLY option is to call security immediately. 

To salvage your own vacation, practice mindfulness, letting go, and distract yourself so that you can move on with your trip and enjoy your cruise. You only have so many days on your trip and you don't want to waste one more minute on this guy. 

Edited by newtocruiseinblue
  • Like 15

I don’t think I’ve been on a cruise yet where some genius doesn’t put their toddler in a hot tub. More recently a couple had a kid that as a definitely more infant than toddler in there for quite some time. After all “it is their vacation too

!”. 🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, want2seaitall said:

Thank you for that recommendation. 🙏

I think it's best for you to go to Guest Relations and ask to see the Hotel Director.  Explain the situation and that security was present but that you want to discuss incident with the Hotel Directors.  Unfortunately today, they do not want crew to tell guests they have to follow rules (let's not discuss that fact) but once you were threatened, you really need to go to guest relations now as request to see the Hotel Director.  Do not wait until you are home.  We're in the hospitality industry and I always tell people to deal with an issue when it happens and before they depart a hotel (we manage events in hotels) because it's much more challenging once you get home.  I feel the same way when we are cruising.  

Good luck and I hope your cruise is enjoyable despite the issue you've run into.  By the way, I would have done what you did....except I'd already be at Guest Relations asking to see the Hotel Director.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

This is disheartening to hear. I come over to Celebrity bc RCL has become a preschool and recess all year round now. People take their kids out of school at anytime of the year. Parents don’t follow the rules, so why would the kids. I’m a believer the Solarium should be ADULYS ONLY 24/7!!!! The kids have the entire ship. Leave one spot for those who enjoy Petch and quiet, without splashing, screaming and diapers in the pool.

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

This is disheartening to hear. I come over to Celebrity bc RCL has become a preschool and recess all year round now. People take their kids out of school at anytime of the year. Parents don’t follow the rules, so why would the kids. I’m a believer the Solarium should be ADULYS ONLY 24/7!!!! The kids have the entire ship. Leave one spot for those who enjoy Petch and quiet, without splashing, screaming and diapers in the pool.

Don’t be to dishearten , it doesn’t happen that often 

45 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

Don't fret, on most Celebrity cruises there are really not that many children and on every other sailing I have been on (70+ so far, including 13 between this year and last) and the children were only allowed in the inside pool when sailing in cold areas, and then only for a period of time.  Maybe that's changing but that's how its been.

I did find your comment about kids and school interesting.  In all my travels, including cruises, I am shocked at how many kids are not in school no matter the time of year.  I know that some areas (not all that many) have year-round schools.  But this never happened pre-Covid to the extent I see it now.  Nowhere close.  I just don't understand it. Are these kids supposedly being "home schooled"?  Are these kids supposedly being given their lessons by their parents while away from home?  Not from what I've seen.  I definitely am not in a position to judge any particular family as I of course don't know their individual circumstances (nor is it my business) - I just find it very strange and concerning.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Are these kids supposedly being "home schooled"?  Are these kids supposedly being given their lessons by their parents while away from home?  Not from what I've seen.  I definitely am not in a position to judge any particular family as I of course don't know their individual circumstances (nor is it my business) - I just find it very strange and concerning.

Well a lot more folks are homeschooling now.  Or they are just pulling their kids from school.

We homeschooled and took our kid on lots of cruises.  Never did we do lessons on the cruise because its vacation.  However some homeschoolers do lessons on cruises, it just depends.

It was a blessing to be able to travel freely with our kid and he got to visit a lot of interesting places.  And he has since graduated college and has a full time job.

• Like 4

Maybe the sign is leftover from the Alaska season.  There is no reason children should be in the solarium during any Caribbean cruise let alone a southern Caribbean cruise. 

We'll be on her 2 weeks, hopefully they get it squared away.  Will it ruin my cruise, no way, but it would be nice to have a Nice quiet to just chill.

• Like 2