En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

38 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Did the excursion state it  would have the steep steps and state it was medium to hard excursion? When we went to Japan in 2017 and 2019 with Princess the excursions were actually offered my Carnival Corporation but sold through Princess and we took a couple of excursions that were actually a bit strenuous but stated easy. We found that we needed to be careful on what we selected. Japanese think nothing of walking numerous miles and walking lots of stairs so the definitions of what was easy vs strenuous were vastly different. Just wondering what this stated for you.

Also totally agree about being kind to the guides, they really take such pride in their jobs which is quite different than many other countries especially US. 

The excursion was marked moderate and did say there would be about 120 steps at the shrine. What they neglected to mention was that there would be about 80 more steps getting on and off the ropeway in each direction. Granted these were modern and less steep, but still…..

I figure it was scoped about right… I wouldn’t call it strenuous, just hard on the knees! 😭

The HAL excursions do vary a lot in terms of level of detail. Some are quite good whereas others only offer a brief description.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The excursion was marked moderate and did say there would be about 120 steps at the shrine. What they neglected to mention was that there would be about 80 more steps getting on and off the ropeway in each direction. Granted these were modern and less steep, but still…..

I figure it was scoped about right… I wouldn’t call it strenuous, just hard on the knees! 😭

The HAL excursions do vary a lot in terms of level of detail. Some are quite good whereas others only offer a brief description.

It would be great if there was a "standard" for strenuous, moderate, easy.....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

It would be great if there was a "standard" for strenuous, moderate, easy.....

But that is very subjective. What is easy for some will be strenuous for others. Some are fine with uphill but downhill is difficult or vice versa. Stairs versus an incline, standing for an hour versus walking etc.  And you will still have people that underestimate their physical capabilities. There just is no easy answer.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Last night we enjoyed the new "Third Avenue West" group who played in the Port Side of the Ocean Bar area (where the piano is located).  It is a trio (guitar, bass, and piano) and they play what I would call contemporary smooth jazz.   Quite delightful for background music in a lounge setting.  For us, this is a good thing.  But for the many HAL cruisers who enjoy classical music, not having anyone playing at the Lincoln Center Stage is a disappointment.  This should not be an either/or situation as HAL needs both kinds of music.

Hank

Well put!

I agree the new trio fills an obvious gap — but HAL could’ve added them and kept their classical program for a real win-win.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of entertainment, folks might want to consider what HAL has done over the years.  At one time, on a ship like the "Westy" we would have had 8 dancers, 4 singers, and a ship band (which used to be 5-7 pieces).  That has all been replaced with 6 Step One Dancers!  Most of the HAL entertainment moves have been about eliminating positions.  There used to also be two dance instructors (generally a married couple) who conducted dance lessons.  That is also gone! 

For us, we couldn't care less about these things. Listening to band and dancing for a couple hours is preferable than watching a production show or sitting quietly listening to chamber music for us. If HAL is going to cut things, I'm OK with what they have chosen to eliminate. Of course, others will feel differently.

11 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

But that is very subjective. What is easy for some will be strenuous for others. Some are fine with uphill but downhill is difficult or vice versa. Stairs versus an incline, standing for an hour versus walking etc.  And you will still have people that underestimate their physical capabilities. There just is no easy answer.

The best thing is to be very specific. Saying  “involves half a mile of walking over rough terrain” or “must climb 120 steep steps to reach the site” make it much easier to judge whether one can participate than just saying “strenuous”.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

For us, we couldn't care less about these things. Listening to band and dancing for a couple hours is preferable than watching a production show or sitting quietly listening to chamber music for us. If HAL is going to cut things, I'm OK with what they have chosen to eliminate. Of course, others will feel differently.

It doesn't matter to me either but I get it's not all about me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The best thing is to be very specific. Saying  “involves half a mile of walking over rough terrain” or “must climb 120 steep steps to reach the site” make it much easier to judge whether one can participate than just saying “strenuous”.

I agree. More details would really help people that have specific concerns.

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Exactly.  Seems easy peasy.  Nothing subjective about that.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It doesn't matter to me either but I get it's not all about me.

Exactly, we all have different opinions on what constitutes good entertainment. I don't envy HAL trying to find the best answers to keep the most people happy.

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I had a Mariner Day for every time I have asked 'What is the distance I will need to walk to get from Point A to Point B on this excursion?', and been told 'Oh, it's not far.', I would be in HAL's President's Club. 'It's not far' doesn't answer the question asked. 

Even when asked a specific question about a given shore excursion, the staff has almost universally been quite vague with their answers. Or, they use their own idea of degree of difficulty when speaking to someone who is obviously not able to get around easily. 
Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get them to contact the tour provider to get definitive answers to specific questions. 

• Like 1

I am so enjoying following this thread. Like others here, I'm a bit disappointed at some of the changes in entertainment offerings - my favourite thing on a HAL cruise was Phil in the piano bar on the Noordam a few years back, so it's shame that has gone by the wayside. Ditto the shows, which were usually fantastic, but I know we'll have a great time anyway in the Rolling Stones Lounge and with the new jazz group. 

I do have a question for Hank, or others onboard who are also following this fantastic thread. We join the vessel on the 24th and are super excited about our trip. I notice that guests are allowed to bring a "reasonable" (whatever that means) amount of wine onboard and will be charged $20 per bottle irrespective of where it's drunk. I have read on a couple of sites that alcohol in Japan is extremely cheap. Having looked at what HAL charge for wine, I'm inclined to pick up a few bottles in Japan to take on board with us. I can't believe the mark-up on Australian and New Zealand wines, and I imagine it's the same with those from the US. Have others here who are onboard at the moment, or been on one of the recent cruises, bought wine onboard that they purchased in Japan? We're staying in Yokohama for a few days pre-cruise, so have ample opportunity to try and buy beforehand.

And thanks so much, Hank, for starting this - every morning when I check my phone I am delighted to find a whole heap of new posts to read.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Beejay4016 said:

I am so enjoying following this thread. Like others here, I'm a bit disappointed at some of the changes in entertainment offerings - my favourite thing on a HAL cruise was Phil in the piano bar on the Noordam a few years back, so it's shame that has gone by the wayside. Ditto the shows, which were usually fantastic, but I know we'll have a great time anyway in the Rolling Stones Lounge and with the new jazz group. 

I do have a question for Hank, or others onboard who are also following this fantastic thread. We join the vessel on the 24th and are super excited about our trip. I notice that guests are allowed to bring a "reasonable" (whatever that means) amount of wine onboard and will be charged $20 per bottle irrespective of where it's drunk. I have read on a couple of sites that alcohol in Japan is extremely cheap. Having looked at what HAL charge for wine, I'm inclined to pick up a few bottles in Japan to take on board with us. I can't believe the mark-up on Australian and New Zealand wines, and I imagine it's the same with those from the US. Have others here who are onboard at the moment, or been on one of the recent cruises, bought wine onboard that they purchased in Japan? We're staying in Yokohama for a few days pre-cruise, so have ample opportunity to try and buy beforehand.

And thanks so much, Hank, for starting this - every morning when I check my phone I am delighted to find a whole heap of new posts to read.

I would like to add, a question related to this, are they allowing Sake to be brought on board? Are they charging the same $20.00 per bottle. Back in 2017 I spent time with a friends that lived in Japan and they gave me a bottle of Sake, at the time Princess was charging a $15.00 corkage fee. I was expecting to have to pay and or have them take it from me to give me at the end of the cruise. To my surprise they looked at it and gave it back and said enjoy!!  So was wondering how they are handing Sake.

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

Good question!  I haven't ever had Sake cold, how is it compared to the warm version?

~Nancy

Cold Sake is the only way I drink it and it is amazing 😄 Sake is very much like drinking wine different levels /grades. Here in the US when they serve hot sake it is normally the cheap stuff. I prefer Daiginjo but it gets expensive here in the US. I also like Nigori which is much cheaper and much sweeter. Both are good served cold. There are some nice Junmais found in Japan they are the lowest price generally but then a nice middle road is Ginjo or Junmai Ginjo. The better ones are nice sipping type wines. I am far from an Sake expert but but enjoy Sake, where my husband has never acquired the taste for it. The sake served cold such as a Ginjo will be drastically different than what you may have had hot.

The worst sake I have ever had was on the Diamond Princess, the first night just after sailaway in the main atrium Piazza they do a Welcome Aboard Sake Ceremony where they break open the sake barrel then pass around little cups of sake much like they do with sparkling wine when they do the Champagne Toast on the first formal night. While it is a nice gesture it was definitely not good. I wonder if HAL was doing anything like that. Also wondering if they were doing any Japanese Tea Ceremonies on board?.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree the new trio fills an obvious gap — but HAL could’ve added them and kept their classical program for a real win-win.

I don’t know yet exactly what this means, but every night on my Panama Canal transit leaving this weekend on the Volendam has listings for “Classical Duo” in the Explorer’s Lounge - hopefully it means that classical offerings will survive the expiration of the LCS program.  I will report back after having an opportunity to experience this program.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

I don’t know yet exactly what this means, but every night on my Panama Canal transit leaving this weekend on the Volendam has listings for “Classical Duo” in the Explorer’s Lounge - hopefully it means that classical offerings will survive the expiration of the LCS program.  I will report back after having an opportunity to experience this program.

interesting. On the few HAL cruises I took before they added LCS there was always a pianist and violinist duo onboard. 

• Like 1

Regarding the price of wine in Japan, I do not think that imported wines (i.e. French, USA, Italian) is inexpensive because of Japanese taxes.  There are certainly some low-moderate priced Japanese wines, but not sure they are going to satisfy most wine lovers..not to mention paying the $20 corkage.  One also needs to consider the HAL wine list, and what is available onboard.  We have not used the wine list since we have the HIA package and are simply settling for the offered wines by the glass (not particularly good, but drinkable).  But, we know from talking to others, that many items on the wine list (and also the bar list) are not onboard.  So, if having a specific wine (or type of wine) is very important than you might want to consider checking out the prices in Yokohama as an alternative to settling for whatever HAL has in stock on the ship.

Getting back to drink logistical issues, things have not really improved much in the past 3 weeks.  The 3 single malt scotches covered by the Signature Drink Package are still not in stock.  The only Cognac covered by the package (Courvoiser VSOP) is not in stock.  Malbec, by the glass, has not been available for over 2 weeks (despite being on the wine list).   A friendly bar tender just shrugged at my question about logistics, indicated that many popular items have been out of stock for months, and had no opinion when or if they would ever be in stock.  In my humble opinion, if HAL fails to carry their menu items covered by the drink packages they should substitute a reasonable alternative at the drink package price.  Otherwise, it just appears that HAL is trying to promote the higher priced items and negate a reason many folks buy the drink packages.  

One other tidbit.  Last night was a "dressy night" with a pretty decent menu.  One of the major offerings was tenderloin of beef with shrimp.  The tenderloin was as good as the filet offered in the Pinnacle which makes one wonder if the PG is worth the money (for those who must pay full price).  DW and I have enjoyed our two PG meals (since boarding) but did not think they were a good value at $39+ 18%  (our PG meals were covered by the HIA package).  We have already cancelled another future PG meal (which would have been free) and replaced it with another meal in Canaletto.  DW and I have never been big fans of dinner in the PG (we have long enjoyed the lunches more than the dinners) and nothing on this cruise has changed our minds.  We also acknowledge that food/cuisine is subjective and we are sure many others would disagree.

Hank

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Regarding the price of wine in Japan, I do not think that imported wines (i.e. French, USA, Italian) is inexpensive because of Japanese taxes.  There are certainly some low-moderate priced Japanese wines, but not sure they are going to satisfy most wine lovers..not to mention paying the $20 corkage.  One also needs to consider the HAL wine list, and what is available onboard.  We have not used the wine list since we have the HIA package and are simply settling for the offered wines by the glass (not particularly good, but drinkable).  But, we know from talking to others, that many items on the wine list (and also the bar list) are not onboard.  So, if having a specific wine (or type of wine) is very important than you might want to consider checking out the prices in Yokohama as an alternative to settling for whatever HAL has in stock on the ship.

Getting back to drink logistical issues, things have not really improved much in the past 3 weeks.  The 3 single malt scotches covered by the Signature Drink Package are still not in stock.  The only Cognac covered by the package (Courvoiser VSOP) is not in stock.  Malbec, by the glass, has not been available for over 2 weeks (despite being on the wine list).   A friendly bar tender just shrugged at my question about logistics, indicated that many popular items have been out of stock for months, and had no opinion when or if they would ever be in stock.  In my humble opinion, if HAL fails to carry their menu items covered by the drink packages they should substitute a reasonable alternative at the drink package price.  Otherwise, it just appears that HAL is trying to promote the higher priced items and negate a reason many folks buy the drink packages.  

One other tidbit.  Last night was a "dressy night" with a pretty decent menu.  One of the major offerings was tenderloin of beef with shrimp.  The tenderloin was as good as the filet offered in the Pinnacle which makes one wonder if the PG is worth the money (for those who must pay full price).  DW and I have enjoyed our two PG meals (since boarding) but did not think they were a good value at $39+ 18%  (our PG meals were covered by the HIA package).  We have already cancelled another future PG meal (which would have been free) and replaced it with another meal in Canaletto.  DW and I have never been big fans of dinner in the PG (we have long enjoyed the lunches more than the dinners) and nothing on this cruise has changed our minds.  We also acknowledge that food/cuisine is subjective and we are sure many others would disagree.

Hank

Hi Hank. Many thanks for your response re wines. We also have the HIA package  do may also just stick with that. Cheers, Bev

13 hours ago, Aitchgeye said:

Love using Google Translate, google maps is also terrific!  I use my regular compass to help orientate myself to directions in new places.

We did a land trip once that started with Paris. DW had printed out directions to our hotel. A direction was given. She was stumped. The sun was out and knowing it rose in the east, I was able to figure out which way whatever direction was that we had to go.

14 hours ago, Aitchgeye said:

Love using Google Translate, google maps is also terrific!  I use my regular compass to help orientate myself to directions in new places.

You know there is an app that turns your phone into a compass. And another that will display what you should see in the night sky whereever you are in the world 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lissie said:

You know there is an app that turns your phone into a compass. And another that will display what you should see in the night sky whereever you are in the world 

Adding there is also Seek by National Geographic which tells you which plant, animal or insect you are looking at.   Compass is called Compass and the best free sky viewer is SkyView lite 

• Like 1

Ok folks, here comes another rant!  It is 11:00pm and DW and I are in our cabin.  Why?  Because the last entertainment (of any kind) on this ship ended at 10:45!  While I understand that many HAL cruisers are happy to go to bed at 7 or 8, that is not me!  There is no excuse...NONE, for a ship shutting down everything at 10:45.  The last entertainment were the two Billboard piano player/singers whose last set began at 10 and ended at 10:45.  There was no show of any kind in the main theater (except the showing of an old movie), the Rolling Stone Lounge Group was off, there is no Lincoln Center Stage group on this ship, and the new Third Avenue Combo ended at 10:15!    For those casino lovers, even that is closed since we did not sail until around 8pm and they never bothered to open the casino (even after getting to international waters).  

So, while I get that many HAL fans could care less what happens after 8:30, this cruiser enjoys some evening entertainment.  In my world that means there should be something...anything...to at least 11:30 and generally midnight.  Most cruise lines actually go beyond midnight with one late night venue (often a DJ) but I will accept that it might not be a good fit for a floating nursing home (which seems to be the goal of HAL).  But having something...anything....after 10:45 is not asking for too much!

I have said it before and will say it again.  Having cruised on 16 cruise lines, HAL is alone at shutting down a ship this early!  This evening we had a delightful dinner (with an awful menu) at a table of 8 and the lady next to me indicated that she always goes to her cabin around 8:30 - 9:00 to quietly read in her cabin.  My thought (at the time) was she was a perfect fit for HAL who should now market themselves as the cruise line for those who want to have quiet nights in their cabin!  

There are some here on CC who have, in the past, argued with me when I posted about HAL being a ship for those who go to bed early!  I am posting this to prove the point!  There can be no debate as I am simply posting the fact that this ship, with over 2000 passengers, has absolutely nothing (tonight) for folks who want to even stay awake until 11pm!

For those that noticed my "awful menu" comment (and want to take me to task) I will post some details.  Starters were Seafood Deviled Eggs, Smoke Cod Fish (which was supposed to have horseradish which was completely missing from my plate), Boston Lettuce with Gorgonzola Cheese, Cantonese Hot and Sour Soup (which one at our table said was tasteless) and the routine stuff.  Mains included such gourmet dishes as Chicken Chow Mein. Chilli Prawns with Garlic Butter (it was barely OK), Parmesan Stuffed Chicken Brest,  Beyond Chicken Stuffed Zucchini, and the usual regulars!  And I forgot to mention Five Spice Pork Belly!    Come on HAL!  "Chicken Chow Mein!"  Are you kidding me?  And we could talk about the everyday stuff like spaghetti and meatballs, rustic lasagna (tasteless), etc.  

I had the Chili Prawns.  If there was any garlic in the butter, I could not taste it!  The shrimp was OK (properly cooked) with no flavor without garlic or chili.  While we think the food on this cruise has been generally OK, the use of spices, garlic, or anything else that would give something flavor is missing!  If HAL wanted to market itself as the line with bland food, and a quiet ship after 10:45, it would be accurate marketing.  My goodness, even a basic Ceasar Salad (at dinner) has no flavor.  

Hank
P.S.   Forgive me for being a bit harsh, but what I have posted is accurate.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

missing!  If HAL wanted to market itself as the line with bland food

I complained frequently about the over salting and lack of spices in the food.   I was told that is how the majority of passengers want it and, you know, they might be right☹️.   I will just say this as I fear any further comments I have on this subject will be controversial 

• Haha 1