Any Recent Menus?

lauraleigh9mm

Just goes to show that different ships, in different area have access to different quality of supplies. On the Muse in December the steaks in every venue were wonderful - including Atlantide. I never bother ordering steaks on cruise ships but on the Muse it became our go to meal if nothing else on the menu appealed. They really were excellent so maybe try a steak one night, you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2023 at 7:04 AM, goofysmom99 said:

I'll try asking here before opening a separate thread - is there anyone who has firsthand experience with gluten-free (celiac) dining on Silversea?  There is virtually nothing on any of the menus posted above.  Would that mean that every single meal (except maybe breakfast) would have to be something off-menu and/or preplanned?  Seriously considering SS for next year but am apprehensive about every meal having to be preplanned.  Are there GF hamburger buns so you can just decide to have a burger?  GF bread for a sandwich/toast? I've been known to bring my own but don't know what SS will necessitate.  Yes, I read the dietary blurbs on the website but doesn't really describe daily GF life to me.  Hoping someone with celiac has experience to share.  TIA

I'm a diabetic, who takes her health seriously - I'm cringing at the amount of carbs.  I might have to do lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner 🙂

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AusMum said:

I'm a diabetic, who takes her health seriously - I'm cringing at the amount of carbs.  I might have to do lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner 🙂

Hi, I try to watch my carbs and they are always accommodating. For dinner, example, I try to avoid potatoes and tell them to leave them off the plate. Never had an issue. I am usually pleased with the choices. I am a type 2 but can always do better with my eating habits. If it is a choice between a glass of wine and dessert, I pick the wine. There are many times I never do dessert.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I try to watch my carbs and they are always accommodating. For dinner, example, I try to avoid potatoes and tell them to leave them off the plate. Never had an issue. I am usually pleased with the choices. I am a type 2 but can always do better with my eating habits. If it is a choice between a glass of wine and dessert, I pick the wine. There are many times I never do dessert.

Luckily I don't have a sweet tooth at all.  I was originally diagnosed with type 2, but after a close encounter with septicaemia, the jury agreed that it was my whacky immune system creating mayhem with my BSLs, and began calling it type 1.5.  Hubby is a classic type 1, so it probably makes life 'easier' when you have similar needs.

Potatoes seem to be a carb I can get away with.  We do have a couple of lower carb varieties of potato in Australia, which are awesome (and taste better).  I don't like fries anyway.  We also have low GI rices now.  I struggle with carbs in breads and pastas, but sometimes juggling with 'good fats' can help. Salads will give me worse BSLs than steamed vegetables,  

Sauces can prove to be tricky.  Ketchup is so high in sugars, and Asian sauces like oyster sauce can vary greatly in their carbs .

I'm not really a drinker, but some gins can even help to level out sugars.  

• 4 weeks later...

The quality of food has a lot to do with the itinerary and suppliers available on that itinerary.  

On a recent Regent cruise from South Africa to Buenos Aires, the escargot in Compass Rose was awful (I usually get a double order on Regent).  I commented and that earned me a meeting with the F & B Manager and the Exec Chef.  I was told that escargot from South Africa are sub par and I should wait until we stopped in Rio to order escargot again.  Spot on.  From that point on the escargot was as expected.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

The quality of food has a lot to do with the itinerary and suppliers available on that itinerary.  

On a recent Regent cruise from South Africa to Buenos Aires, the escargot in Compass Rose was awful (I usually get a double order on Regent).  I commented and that earned me a meeting with the F & B Manager and the Exec Chef.  I was told that escargot from South Africa are sub par and I should wait until we stopped in Rio to order escargot again.  Spot on.  From that point on the escargot was as expected.

It's nice they were honest and told you to wait.

10 hours ago, erikzen said:

If they know it's sub par they should take it off the menu temporarily. 

It's a mainstay of Compass Rose.  I am betting some folks did not find any issues with them.  I am really an escargot fan so my requirements might be different.  All I knew is that they were not like the escargot I had gotten on Regent in the past -- which were amazing.  Perhaps I would not even have noticed if I had not had them on Regent before.  Expectations!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Compare your Hot Rock cooking to JP’s.  I’ve seen his 30-second per side method and I’m pretty sure I heard his steak “moo” when he cut into it.

On Silversea I always tell them to plate my steak as soon as it stops mooing.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LAexNY said:

I like mine medium well.  The filet is so thick that after it cooks a while, I slice it down the middle and cook each half separately.

IMG_2258.jpeg

is that a lobster on the left hand side?

21 minutes ago, lincslady said:

No to me they look like very large prawns.  I wonder if they are what used to be called Nigerian shrimp on Seabourn, a rather peculiar name.

they don't look like tiger prawns or king prawns (like we get down here)