Thinking of buying Carnival stock ... some questions

2aprilbabies

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I'll receive at least $850 in shareholder OBC this year, and my stock long ago paid for itself. Carnival Corp isn't going to disappear.

I'm guessing that the original poster and most others on here don't cruise that many times in a 4 year period, much less one.  It's definitely good for people who cruise as often as you, but maybe not for the person that cruises once or twice per year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ray98 said:

Carnival is a risky investment right now.  Only you can decide if laying out $900 is worth it to try for a small OBC.  Bottom line, CCL is $34B in debt and still have not found a way to not lose millions a day.  I don't expect the financials Tuesday to change that. Their debt load is crippling.

Exactly.  Not to mention the total number of Carnival stock shares increased by nearly 50% over the course of the last three years.  The total value (which has decreased significantly because of debt) is now diluted much more than early 2020. No one should expect the value of each share of the stock to increase to anywhere near what it was back then anytime in the next several years, probably for the next decade or more.

• Like 2

As previously stated, don't buy this stock for the actual investment.  If you cruise a lot or take longer cruises (We got $250 OBC for a 16 day cruise) that's where the pay off is.  No matter what the stock market does, as long as you cruise Carnival, you win.  Of course, no one is absolutely certain of the future so we assume Carnival stays in business and continues stockholder benefit, a calculated risk.  We take a calculated risk like this every time we fly or drive to the cruise port.  The vast majority of us make it and have a splendid holiday!

And it's reuseable.  EVERYTIME you cruise you can use that one stock purchase to get OBC.  Buy now while it's cheap.

Edited by Mavrick_RN
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So now you do not care if they survive or go bankrupt? 🤣🤣🤣

Carnival will be around long after I'm gone. I'm going to ride that ship to the end, but not more than 100 shares at a time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival will be around long after I'm gone. I'm going to ride that ship to the end, but not more than 100 shares at a time.

I bought enough shares so I can gift 100 shares to each of my DDs.  They're going to be Platinum this January😁

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It goes without saying that anyone who takes stock advice from a cruise board deserve to lose. YMMV.

I agree with this, but I also like what Warren Buffett has said over the years, paraphrasing, "Invest in products and companies you use and enjoy."

Avoid waves....but just like cruising, you can't avoid them so you just power through.

Stay in your lane....Don't invest in things you don't know about or confuse you, like Bitcoin, bacon futures or tech.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

you would then get a tax write off for your capital loss.

Not if it's inside a retirement account like my CCL shares are.

I don't think of my shares as an investment.  I think of them as a bond or a preferred stock with an occasional nontaxable dividend and a possible equity kicker.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you are so bullish on Carnival, why own only 100 shares?

• Like 2

My husband owns 100 shares, and I think we've redeemed this now 3 times since the reboot.

My question is, if I buy 100 shares as well, and we both have it, can we each get the $100 obc for a total of $200 on a 7-day cruise?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mistyinca said:

My husband owns 100 shares, and I think we've redeemed this now 3 times since the reboot.

My question is, if I buy 100 shares as well, and we both have it, can we each get the $100 obc for a total of $200 on a 7-day cruise?

No, unless both of you get different cabins

Edited by john91498
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mistyinca said:

Read the shareholder credit documentation, it is very comprehensive and clearly written.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, BlerkOne said:

or you could invest in crypto or been invested in one of the banks that have failed recently.

I'll receive at least $850 in shareholder OBC this year, and my stock long ago paid for itself. Carnival Corp isn't going to disappear. Carnival has more cash on hand than RCL and NCL combined. They are masters at financing. At least Carnival had the vision to arrange for a new revolving credit facility before the latest banking crisis.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-announces-arrangement-of-new-forward-starting-2-1-billion-revolving-credit-facility-301759157.html

On 3/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, BlerkOne said:

or you could invest in crypto or been invested in one of the banks that have failed recently.

I'll receive at least $850 in shareholder OBC this year, and my stock long ago paid for itself. Carnival Corp isn't going to disappear. Carnival has more cash on hand than RCL and NCL combined. They are masters at financing. At least Carnival had the vision to arrange for a new revolving credit facility before the latest banking crisis.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-announces-arrangement-of-new-forward-starting-2-1-billion-revolving-credit-facility-301759157.html

I just saw that ”facility” today.  It also seems to me with the individual stockholders financing them a little bit,anyway, it is more valuable than the onboard credit they give.  Probably a lot of stock holders would stop sailing Carnival if they stopped the OBC just upon principal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrspdp said:

I just saw that ”facility” today.  It also seems to me with the individual stockholders financing them a little bit,anyway, it is more valuable than the onboard credit they give.  Probably a lot of stock holders would stop sailing Carnival if they stopped the OBC just upon principal.

I doubt most Carnival cruisers own Carnival stock. Stock purchase benefits Corporate somewhat, but I'm not sure any goes directly to cruise lines. OTOH, deposits (shareholder or not) might.

It seems to me the OBC, if used, might end up effectively being a transfer from corporate to the individual cruise lines.