Princess bus to Fort Lauderdale Airport

claudia814

I see where it says if you take the Princess bus to the Fort Lauderdale airport they drop you off between terminals on the Arrival level. There may not be porters available and you need to find your way to the Departure level. That sounds crazy! What do you suggest, taxi, are they available? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance. 

I have taken Princess transfers to FLL airport probably 12 times or more.  I don't think we are dropped off at arrivals.  They take your suitcase out from underneath the bus and you claim your suitcase then you walk maybe one block at most to the terminal.  I don't think it is even a block, maybe half a block.  Seems to me that when you get to the terminal you are right there where you check in for your flight....  It has been over a year since we did this (last cruise was to Mediterranean, flying thru Chicago) but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  Maybe someone else has more current knowledge than I do tho.

• Like 1

They dropped me off at Departure area associated with my airline.

While taxis are available most of the time, I have had times where during the holidays with a ton of ships in port or if a ship is delayed in clearing customs, taxis are not always available.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mflem1278 said:

I have taken Princess transfers to FLL airport probably 12 times or more.  I don't think we are dropped off at arrivals.  They take your suitcase out from underneath the bus and you claim your suitcase then you walk maybe one block at most to the terminal.  I don't think it is even a block, maybe half a block.  Seems to me that when you get to the terminal you are right there where you check in for your flight....  It has been over a year since we did this (last cruise was to Mediterranean, flying thru Chicago) but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  Maybe someone else has more current knowledge than I do tho.

Yes, you are dropped off at the arrivals level between terminals.  Its not a long walk then elevator up to departures.

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind you will not be able to use a Princess transfer if your flight is before 12:00 noon.  I wouldn’t use a transfer if my flight was before 1:00, just in case the bus is delayed.  Taxis are in abundance in the  morning and if your flight is early you must grab a taxi or Uber or private car service.  We usually do a walk off and have never had to wait for a taxi.

Have done a single PEV to FLL transfer b/c I had about $15 of non-refundable credit left on my account. The transfer was with Celebrity, and they dock their ships right next to Princess at PEV. I cannot imagine the system being different.

We were dropped off in Departures and let off at each stop for our airlines.

Yes, you do have to walk your bags from the cruise terminal to the bus stop at PEV, and then once again from the bus to the airline counter.

That being said, it's likely a wash (price wise) if you're traveling solo. But, if you have another travel partner, and/or a couple of people, order an Uber or Uber XL. Cheaper and faster than dealing with a transfer.  PEV is so close to FLL, you'll get spoiled and wish every port were like this.

• Like 1

Yes you are dropped off on the lower level between terminals while yes it is not a "long" walk if you have very many bags, IE more than one a piece, it is an bit of a pain. You do also have to get siad bags up to the departures level on the second floor. So either find the elevator or they ride up the escalator with you. It would be ok if all I had was a carry on only, but if you have large bags to check....take a cab it is cheaper and quicker. The other issue was we waited on the bus until every last seat was full, something like 35-40 minutes so with the drive and stops to the first terminal we were like an hour on the bus. Good thing we did not have an early flight. We typically drive down or take a cab to and from the port but this time we did a spur of the moment thing and decided to fly so went with the Princess transfers. Probably not going to do that again any where.  

• Like 1

We just took advantage of the Princess transfer to FLL airport a couple of weeks ago.  We were dropped off between two of the main airline entry doors (we were flying Delta...we were dropped off just past the Delta door) and we pulled our bags *maybe* 40 yards.  Not far at all.  The main reason that they drop off in this manner (i.e. not directly in front of the doors) is that the traffic lanes are extremely busy...bus "pull over" slots are located between each main entry door, so you may walk back the way you came a bit or you may walk forward depending on your airline.  The driver will always let you know which entry is coming up or at least when he stops.  If you are absolutely averse to pulling your bags any distance at all (how did you get them out of the cruise terminal...) then yes, you could always take a taxi/Uber/Lyft and hope that there is a parking slot close to the door.  You just may end up pulling your bags the same distance if the driver cannot get a close spot!

• Like 1

In response to "how did we get them out of the terminal when we arrived" this time since we had planned on driving down and last minute decided to fly we came in several days early and had rented a car. I got one of the luggage carts and while I waited for the bags my wife went after the car. But this time the airline did not send out bags with us but on a later flight so, while I went inside to retrieve the bags she road around with the car until I came out then tossed them in the back and we were off. On the day of the cruise we dropped the bags off at the terminal with the porters then took the cab back to the airport then cab ride $25 w/tip.

We do this method everytime we rent a car, saves a ton of time at the airport. We learned this trick in Hawaii where everyone on the plane is also going after rent a cars. One person goes directly to the car place and one waiting for the bags. The person going after the car just about beats everyone else on the plane for the line at the car place. Which can save a ton of time waiting in line and for bags. If we are not renting a car like some place like New York or London we typically hire cars (AKA limo) and the driver meets us at the luggage carousel. I have used one service for work (before uber was a thing) all over the world and they have reliable drivers and dependable service. Yes this cost more than a cab or uber but I then have someone to help with the bags. At the Ft Lauderdale airport though the cab will drop you either at the door or the luggage check stand is for your airline and you do not have to schlep them you a flight of stairs or elevator. 

I've taken the transfer from Ft. LAUDERDALE once. I di t remember why we did, because we've always used taxi or uber before. But FLD is one place I would never use the transfers again. Taxi is much faster,  cheaper and convenient. 

• Like 1

Taxi Pier 2 to FLL  Saturday March 18 was $25 plus tip. Dropped us off at Departures for Jet Blue. 

We left the ship at 9:05, through immigration at 9:10, in a cab by 9:12.   Plentiful supply. 

By  the way, EZCheck through Guest Services on board costs $25. It has to be arranged a few days before you arrive in FLL.  You get a boarding pass and luggage transported from your cabin door to the arrivals bag carousel at your final destination.   The bag fee charged by the airline is additional. Amazingly, no weight restriction.   A great deal!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, claudia814 said:

I see where it says if you take the Princess bus to the Fort Lauderdale airport they drop you off between terminals on the Arrival level. There may not be porters available and you need to find your way to the Departure level. That sounds crazy! What do you suggest, taxi, are they available? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance. 

The cruise port and FLL airport are right next to each other. Take a cab or ride-share, it will cost less than the Princess transfer and you'll be treated much better.

We have never understood why anyone would take a cruise line transfer (including from Princess) between Port Everglades and FLL!  My goodness, a taxi or Uber will cost you a lot less, is faster, and will drip you at the proper terminal/door.  While others are cooling their heels on a bus at the port (waiting for it to fill and the luggage to be loaded) you can be at the terminal.  

For those that want to argue about it, we say bless you and enjoy your transfer.  I will add that we have been cruising extensively (all over the world) for over 50 years, been in and out of Port Everglades at least 50 times and have never used a cruise line transfer.  The only negative on using taxis is that you will likely have to wait in a taxi queue (at the port) for a few minutes.  Uber/Lyft is a great option if you have the apps on your phone and understand how it works (you will often need to communicate with the driver on the exact pick-up spot).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have never understood why anyone would take a cruise line transfer (including from Princess) between Port Everglades and FLL!  My goodness, a taxi or Uber will cost you a lot less, is faster, and will drip you at the proper terminal/door.  While others are cooling their heels on a bus at the port (waiting for it to fill and the luggage to be loaded) you can be at the terminal.  

From Port Everglades, we usually take a cab to the airport.

However, we are thinking of using the transfer next winter for our family group. Why? We have 2 kids along and the last year when we went we carried car seats and used Uber XL, but found it such a hassle to have to attach the car seats and all the luggage barely fit into 2 Ubers! Our plan is to use a hotel with a shuttle to the airport, an arranged shuttle to the cruise port and the Princess transfer from the cruise port to the airport. We don't have any excursions planned at the ports that require transportation needing car seats, so it should be just one less thing to deal with. It will likely cost us a bit more, but the less hassle factor should make it worthwhile for us.

I also think that often cruisers who don't travel much and maybe especially those from smaller towns that never deal with cabs just find it more convenient to let Princess handle the transportation for them. It reducess their anxiety and makes their trip just that much more pleasant.

We have used Princess transfers in the past, but usually only when a long distance from port to airport or in a really busy city where we were concerned getting a taxi/uber might be more difficult than usual.

I think the bottom line is....different strokes for different folks. Everyone has their own reasons for their transportation choices.

• Like 2

Guess I am a contrarian because we truly dislike hotel shuttles to the port!  Why?  Folks usually find themselves waiting around the lobby (with many other folks) while they wait for the shuttle van or mini-bus.  You then get crammed into a vehicle (which is usually full) and driven to the port (when they are ready to go).  Once at the port you sometimes have 2, 3 or even 4 stops before you get to your ship.  And there are usually no child seats in the vans or mini buses (are they safer than a car?).  

Even when we stay at hotels with shuttle service, we call Uber or Lyft.  We find it much more convenient (we go when we want) and they drive us from Point A to Point B (our ship) with no intervening stops.   As you say, different strokes.

Hank

• Like 1