Shore Excursion Reasoning

Guest 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8

Inquiring as to why you might choose booking shore excursions on your own through local vendors (versus Celebrity curated excursions).

Is it:

1. Because the shore excursion you want is identical to that offered by Celebrity, but is less expensive booking on your own and price is the deciding factor, or

2. The shore excursion you want is something Celebrity doesn't offer?

On an 11-night Mediterranean cruise on Beyond this summer and I read of many going off on their own.

Based upon the (often) many posts in threads trying to get groups of fellow cruise pax together for a given excursion, looks like people on here end up becoming "travel agents/guides" in their own right trying to "manage" excursions, while if you just use Celebrity excursions, they've already done all that for you (and me).

This seems exhausting to have to do anything when I have clear advantage to let Celebrity do it all.

Incidentally, I've booked either all private or small group via Celebrity. I like that I am off the ship in an orchestrated manner with seemless, simple continuity between Celebrity and excursion guide.

Just curious. Please discuss and critique. 😃

All peace.

TY

Edited by 4-2-N-8

In our experience organizing or joining a small group (4-8)

results in a better excursion.  We  see more places, don’t waste time at a souvenir shopping stop and the price is generally 1/3 to 1/2 less than the  cruise line price.  
Learned early on that am excursion can only go as fast as the slowest person.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Incidentally, I've booked either all private or small group via Celebrity. I like that I am off the ship in an orchestrated manner with seemless, simple continuity between Celebrity and excursion guide.

This is what I would have suggested to you, use private journeys or whatever Celebrity calls it. You have the flexibility of a very small or private group with the convenience of having Celebrity take care of the details. 

We almost always book independent because we like not having a bus load of people where the fastest you can move is dictated by the slowest person on that tour.

Also, my usual rule of thumb is if it entails more than 2 modes of transportation to get to a place, I'll book direct with the cruiseline. For example, to go to Tulum from Cozumel, you'll need 3 modes (taxi, ferry, taxi/bus) to get there. Whereas the Celebrity tour uses a ferry that departs right from the dock where the ship is.

There are some excursions you have  to book through the ship, like some trains. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1

We usually independently book a private excursion as opposed to buying through Celebrity. The main reason is the smaller group size and the ability to custom tailor the itinerary.

The smaller group size makes the trip more time efficient which allows you to see more in the same amount of time. Most of the time the group size is limited to my family of four because I don't like organizing a larger tour group. 

Booking independently also allows us to select our own tour provider (after found some research) and working with the tour provider to customize the tour (skip this, spend more time here, go see this instead, etc). 

Also I often will choose an excursion that Celebrity simply doesn't offer (a floatplane trip to Glacier Bay National Park, or scuba diving at a certain Caribbean island, or a visit to a working family animal farm in New Zealand which included skeet shooting). 

The other reason we book independently is that it is not uncommon for the price to be cheaper or the same as it would cost with Celebrity. However even if I pay extra for this, I will do it for the reasons I outlined earlier. 

We have signed up for Celebrity excursions in the past, however it is usually because I cannot book the tour any other way. The best example was the public all day Tranzalpine railway ride that goes one way across New Zealand's South Island. Celebrity's offering of the train ride allowed you to get off mid trip to return to the ship via motorcoach. 

At the Great Barrier Reef, I found it impossible to book a dive trip independently because the ship was tendering at the port and we couldn't get to the outfitter in time whereas Celebrity's dive/snorkel excursion had their subcontractor's boat pick us up at the ship and it dropped us off there afterward which saved a couple hours of time because of the long tender rides (not including the waiting time). 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is what I would have suggested to you, use private journeys or whatever Celebrity calls it. You have the flexibility of a very small or private group with the convenience of having Celebrity take care of the details. 

Agreed.

Guest 4-2-N-8
Just now, 39august said:

dcbiker- I didn't know that about the ferry with ship excursion. That makes it much easier to get to Tulum and probably faster as well. 

Did that exact trip last month for that reason.

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

dcbiker- I didn't know that about the ferry with ship excursion. That makes it much easier to get to Tulum and probably faster as well. 

Yeah. It’s way quicker because you don’t need to taxi to downtown Cozumel and then be dependent on the ferry schedule. They contract with a ferry that  that pulls up right by the ship. 

I agree with everyone who stated if a ferry involved like Tulum.  I wouldn't in St. Thomas to St. John as it's fairly easy to DIY.

I hate ship excursions especially with snorkeling as they have too many people and too many rules.  I also hate the bathroom and gift shop stops.  We do have a ship excursion for Chichen Itza and also Belize upcoming which has to be ship.

• Like 2

I too book almost all of my tours privately.  The biggest reasons were all mentioned above: cost, flexibility, smaller sized groups (not dealing with the lowest common denominator), easier access to sights/sites.

Why book with Celebrity:

1. No need to do extensive research to find better tours and more rewarding experiences

2. You like big groups

3. You have extra OBC to use up

4. You are (unjustly) concerned that the tour won't make it back in time to catch the ship, but nonetheless this lack of stress is worth it to you

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

I too book almost all of my tours privately.  The biggest reasons were all mentioned above: cost, flexibility, smaller sized groups (not dealing with the lowest common denominator), easier access to sights/sites.

Why book with Celebrity:

1. No need to do extensive research to find better tours and more rewarding experiences

2. You like big groups

4. **** You are (unjustly) concerned that the tour won't make it back in time to catch the ship, but nonetheless this lack of stress is worth it to you

So I guess you have never seen a car speeding up to the dock and the passengers jump out with multiple bags of purchases as a X ship is pulling slowly away and the Captain did not stop. Even more interesting, this happened in Russia.

So IMO, being concerned is justified. YMMV. 😉
We took the ship's tour and watched this after we were back on board.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 7

When you take a ship’s excursion, you really don’t get the chance to interact with locals.  You ride on a bus, get out and take some pictures, and get back on until your next stop.  You pretty much only interact with your fellow passengers and guide.  
Some of my best experiences have been using public transportation in Denmark or going to a local pub in Ireland, where I get the chance to better immerse myself in the culture.  And in 60+ cruises, I’ve never been close to missing the ship!  
It does take some pre-planning, but in my opinion, it’s worth it.  

• Like 3

C-Dragons...  Oh, I've seen them.   It's a very rare occurrence and sure it does happen.  

It does not for one second deter me.

Those were likely not passengers on a private tour*. 

Most likely, just idiots who hired a taxi and spent too much time self-absorbed in their shopping.

* A "private tour" is defined as one arranged away from the ship, usually in advance, with a reputable firm that has been in business for some time.  These boards are filled with recommendations of great tours that will get you back to the ship in time every time.  You can count on it.

Consider this:  if a reputable tour EVER missed the ship you would hear about it on Cruise Critic and that tour operator would be out of business in a heartbeat.  No one would want to take a chance with them knowing they blew it once. It just doesn't happen with seasoned tour professionals.  They will get you back in plenty of time.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Why book with Celebrity:

2. You like big groups

4. You are (unjustly) concerned that the tour won't make it back in time to catch the ship, but nonetheless this lack of stress is worth it to you

Agree - there are situations where getting back to the ship on time is a concern.  If thought comes uptake the ships tour.  I have been on an independent tour that did not get back on time.

For example Leharve to Paris is a long ride of 2+ hours each way.  On a Friday when traffic from the city to Normandy is heavy no way would I go on my own.

In many places like Skagway AK we simply rent a car.  Flexible and go where we want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Why book with Celebrity:

2. You like big groups

We have been on over 19 cruises since it started back up, with most of them being at least B2Bs where we had to test prior to going on the next leg. Because of this, we have always booked cruise line excursions unless it's a transition day and they aren't providing any that return to the ship rather than just dropping folks off at the airport. Then we might book a private 2-person excursion which was the case in Dubai on a recent NCL cruise.

But we also book cruise excursions for these reasons:

1. Minimize the possibility of getting sick.  Besides being anti-social, we can sit in the back of a large tour bus and feel somewhat safe that no one will be coughing, blowing their nose, or sneezing behind us. On a private group excursion in a 6-12 passenger van that would not be doable.

2. We really don't want the stress of worrying about missing the ship if "stuff" happens on a private excursion. That is definitely not the case on a cruise excursion. And as far as being an "unjustly" concern, that has not been our experience. True, it rarely happens. But again for us it's the stress of worrying about it that gives us pause about booking a private group excursion.

If I might add we always have a great time on pretty much all of our ship excursions. Sure, there are those memorable few, but that’s to be expected. So, there is that. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

Our first choice is always a ship's tour for the peace of mind in knowing they will return us to the ship. 

With that being said, we have booked tours through private companies when we find a tour they offer that we like better than the ship's tour, the ship's tour is sold out and its comparable or equal, or we're in port for an extended amount of time and not too worried about being back on a timeline (for example, an overnight). Before doing so, we always check and make sure they offer some type of return to ship guarantee and make sure we fully understand what their return to ship guarantee encompasses. 

We have also booked Private Journeys through the Destination Concierge onboard and really enjoyed those. They typically hire a driver and use our direction on what we'd like to see. Some of our best tours have come from us asking these drivers what they would show their friends or families if they came into town. 

• Like 1

I think most of us would agree that ship excursions that involve beach time on the island are not worth it.  Also ship excursions in the Caribbean unless a ferry transfer involved, are just not worth it.  A ship transfer on Day 1 of an overnight to Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda is overpriced and ridiculous.  Take a bus.  You won't miss the ship.  Every pier runner has shopping bags or is drunk in the Caribbean.  The outside tour guides if reputable keep great track of time and people don't miss ship.  

I have found excellent recommendations for non ship sponsored tour guides.  Some were great.  Some I wasn't fond of like Woodwind or Soualiga.  Not a big fan of the owners.  But it still was a better professional experience then being in a herd of sheep on a cruise excursion.

• Like 3

Like many other responders we use a mix of X and independent excursions. Ultimately you need to do what is best for you. Others can provide guidance, share opinions and experiences; however, it is your vacation, your money and your memories. 

After you learn from others, apply this knowledge and make the best choice for your unique situation.

Regardless if you book through X or not, you will not always be able to control what others on the excursion do.

Go with a an attitude of intrigue and embrace each experience as it comes to you. If you make the best decision for you and your group you are less likely to have regrets.   

• Like 3

I’ve had fantastic private shore excursions for 1/2 the cost of Celebrity one that comes to mind is Istanbul.  We went everywhere in the city.  Even Hagia Sophia which was supposed to be closed!  We had a delicious lunch in a local restaurant of Turkish food.   The guide then took a few of us to the spice market.  Things got a bit tricky when he couldn’t find a cab (the bus took the rest of the group including DH) back to the ship.  Luckily we agreed to pay a cab driver double the fare.  We made it!  Celebrity was charging $250 a person.  We paid $100 for a far better tour.

So if I might ask, if someone doesn’t feel well at least 48 hours prior to a ship excursion, they can cancel the excursion without penalty. If within the 48 hour period, they have to first visit the ship’s doctor in order to be able cancel the excursion and get a full refund. In my case I sprained my ankle the day before a ship excursion and was able to get a full refund once I went to see the ship’s doctor.

If you’re on a private group tour, how far in advance do you usually have to cancel your seat(s) on the excursion for medical reasons other than having COVID? If you get a full refund, do the other guests on the private excursion have to make up the difference? 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

C-Dragons...  Oh, I've seen them.   It's a very rare occurrence and sure it does happen.  

It does not for one second deter me.

Those were likely not passengers on a private tour*. 

Most likely, just idiots who hired a taxi and spent too much time self-absorbed in their shopping.

* A "private tour" is defined as one arranged away from the ship, usually in advance, with a reputable firm that has been in business for some time.  These boards are filled with recommendations of great tours that will get you back to the ship in time every time.  You can count on it.

Consider this:  if a reputable tour EVER missed the ship you would hear about it on Cruise Critic and that tour operator would be out of business in a heartbeat.  No one would want to take a chance with them knowing they blew it once. It just doesn't happen with seasoned tour professionals.  They will get you back in plenty of time.

After 20 years in the Travel business I really don’t need anyone to define a “private tour” for me. And for the record, stuff does happen, not because others are idiots, as you said.

☮️

Edited by C-Dragons

In the past, we have often done cruise ship excursions because of the convenience and the guarantee to get you back to the ship but we are starting to do more private tours (and this really started when we found cruise line excursions lacking in their offerings in some ports post-pandemic).  We will still book shore excursions for things that require the full day to get there, visit, and get back (like Tulum or Chichen Itza).  We will strongly consider them in tender ports (shore excursions get priority for the tenders which can extend the amount of day you can spend in port) and ports where I don't feel quite as safe going on my own (like Belize).  And for all other ports, I'll compare the cruise line ones along side the private ones I find.  Sometimes the convenience of going through the cruise line will still win for me.

• Like 1

I like to strike out on my own.  I don't find it exhausting to do the research, figure out where to go, what to do, how to get there - I enjoy the planning, because I would rather be on my own timeline.  For some - if they don't like to do that, then pre-arranged tours are the way to go.  When logistics dictate, I hire a private driver/guide (example Civitecchia to get to Rome and back, Naples when I wanted to go to Pompeii).   Hiring a private driver from a reputable company helps ensure that you WILL get back to the ship on time.  They are aware of traffic conditions and know when to leave to get you back on time.  A lot of the time, I just figure out public or walk from the port if possible.  Never missed a ship.  But, it all depends on your level of risk tolerance and how comfortable you are DIYing it.  You need to enjoy your experience.  I always plan to be back at least 2 hours early to be safe.  If people will not be comfortable unless they have the assurance of a ship backed excursion behind them, then it is not worth it.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So if I might ask, if someone doesn’t feel well at least 48 hours prior to a ship excursion, they can cancel the excursion without penalty. If within the 48 hour period, they have to first visit the ship’s doctor in order to be able cancel the excursion and get a full refund. In my case I sprained my ankle the day before a ship excursion and was able to get a full refund once I went to see the ship’s doctor.

If you’re on a private group tour, how far in advance do you usually have to cancel your seat(s) on the excursion for medical reasons other than having COVID? If you get a full refund, do the other guests on the private excursion have to make up the difference? 

That depends on the tour guide/operator.
We have some currently booked with no deposit and no charge if we can’t go.  If 1 of us is sick the fare remains the same for the others.  
Some we have to pay a deposit.  Others we have to pay full cost 45-90 days out, full refund if ship doesn’t make it or we cancel 30 days out.

The terms vary greatly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1