Chair hogs be warned

melbur

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

If the phones are on their chair they are more likely to be able to see it from the pool. If it’s in a cubby hole it could be away from the pool or people could be standing in front of it where they can’t see it.

But you're assuming that people are in the pool, that there are no people standing between the pool and the chair, and that you might not be able to see the chair.  

Again, self-serve lockers would just encourage people to "hog" the locker.  Find the locker on day 1, put your stuff in, lock it, and take the key.  Go back, unlock it, get your stuff, lock it, and take the key with you.  Then you know you have a locker for the rest of the cruise.

6 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But you're assuming that people are in the pool, that there are no people standing between the pool and the chair, and that you might not be able to see the chair.  

Again, self-serve lockers would just encourage people to "hog" the locker.  Find the locker on day 1, put your stuff in, lock it, and take the key.  Go back, unlock it, get your stuff, lock it, and take the key with you.  Then you know you have a locker for the rest of the cruise.

Why would someone want to store their stuff all day in a cubby when they aren’t there when they have their cabin? You are also assuming that people will hog it all day. 

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why would someone want to store their stuff all day in a cubby when they aren’t there when they have their cabin? You are also assuming that people will hog it all day. 

Based on how people react with chairs, I think it's a safe assumption. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, we can all ASSUME how things will work.  But please, why would you ASSUME that, if lockers were provided, that NO ONE would simply keep their key for the entire cruise? 

Your assertion could be a fair conclusion if the locker spaces are limited. We have gym lockers at work which are suppose to be for the duration of the workout of that day and then cleared for use by other people.

At least once per month, a veiled threat has to be sent that all lockers will be opened and emptied at 11:59pm unless the person is actively at the gym at the time. No one is suppose to have them for more than 3 hours (a very generous time to work out since the normal duration should not be more than 90 minutes to include a shower).

Yes, I can foresee someone keeping the key for the entire cruise upon my 35 years of experience with this type of situation.

Chair Hogs can definitely migrate into Locker Hogs. It is a sad mentality of me first, got it before you did, I am more important than you, if you really wanted it, you should have been here before me.

Sad statement of our existence.

😔

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, we can all ASSUME how things will work.  But please, why would you ASSUME that, if lockers were provided, that NO ONE would simply keep their key for the entire cruise? 

I’m going to go with they would hog the locker and lounger. It’s the nature of the beast. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, you are the one assuming.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:32 AM, island lady said:

LOL...I have several times thought about coughing loudly when too many push their way onto the elevator at a stop. 😄 

I have entertained the thought of saying, “Honey, do you think that was food poisoning or Noro?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, island lady said:

LOL...I have several times thought about coughing loudly when too many push their way onto the elevator at a stop. 😄 

I used to work in construction industry, nothing to do with elevators.  When I got on a crowded elevator with my partner and I both holding some tools in our hands, it was always fun to ask my partner loudly "did you ever tighten the main cables on this one?"  And then, just as the doors were closing, say "let's get off here", and quickly run out.   Of course, we actually planned on getting off there anyway.   And then watch the panic on the other people's faces as the doors closed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think and this is an assumption that more people would rather the inconsiderate amongst us hog the cubby holes rather than the loungers/chairs. 

EDITED IN:  But, being inconsiderate, they'd probably hog both! 

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Photo below is at the beach pool. I also miss the tables on Oasis, they just have the umbrellas now. 

They did nothing. 

This was on Oasis before 8am the week of March 12th.  The sun is just rising in the background in the photo. The loungers were basically this empty at 9am, with a few people showing up. Still more than the 30 minutes time limit.  Nothing was marked, or moved by deck crew. People eventually showed up as it was a sea say. Even up on the suite sun deck every lounger was hoarded.

D2642803-9B4E-40D2-AD48-A3A578E5E5DB.thumb.jpeg.5cb0d10f8ea1423e6c8b008fa1ac723f.jpeg

Yep. My daughter and I got off of the Oasis on March 12th. Every chair was completely hogged every day. Looked identical!

My daughter and I were on Oasis, March 5th-12th. It was soooooo bad. Besides the normal chair hogging, it was so out of hand with people "collecting" chairs. 2 people would grab 4 loungers and a table. Then, they would use the extra loungers to place their items on.

23 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

My daughter and I were on Oasis, March 5th-12th. It was soooooo bad. Besides the normal chair hogging, it was so out of hand with people "collecting" chairs. 2 people would grab 4 loungers and a table. Then, they would use the extra loungers to place their items on.

How about those very kind and considerate people that put their lounders in the already narrow walking path?  Talk about the epitome of a lack of situational awareness and inconsideration.  I just can't believe the crew doesn't do something about it either until someone complains and there is no guarantee they will then. 

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I used to work in construction industry, nothing to do with elevators.  When I got on a crowded elevator with my partner and I both holding some tools in our hands, it was always fun to ask my partner loudly "did you ever tighten the main cables on this one?"  And then, just as the doors were closing, say "let's get off here", and quickly run out.   Of course, we actually planned on getting off there anyway.   And then watch the panic on the other people's faces as the doors closed.  

SBD...😇

Granted, haven’t cruised since precovid, many things have changed.

In the past on RCCL & other lines, many times people would inquire if ‘tagged’ loungers next us were “ours”.  Next question was whether the lounger had been occupied while we were there.  When I’d indicate no, they took it upon themselves to fold up the towels & random flip flop/old book, place it upon another nearby lounger and plop down.

Surprised to never observe any sort of major confrontation, even the one time the taggers did come ‘round. the couple just indicated the two loungers were open when they sat down & the other couple gathered their stuff & left.

I generally wake early, especially when no balcony, I’m up on deck well before 7 am.  Grab two loungers (try for partial shade).  Quickly off for coffee, juice & a pastry, back on lounger to hold down the fort until the mr rises and joins me for breakfast around 9 am.

I don’t see why you can’t just summon pool staff/visit them at the towel stand and get a post a note filled out to mark the lounger as to the time you departed & the clock starts ticking.   Depending on the throng, IMO 30 minutes can be too short to eat in WJ, especially if you want an egg-white omelette.  Thinking 45 minutes is more realistic.

Edited by keishashadow
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, keishashadow said:

I don’t see why you can’t just summon pool staff/visit them at the towel stand and get a post a note filled out to mark the lounger as to the time you departed & the clock starts ticking.  

Then what do you do during those 30 minutes?  That's one thing I've never understood.  People will say "notify crew so they can start a clock" (or similar).  I personally am not interested enough to stick around for 30 minutes to see see if loungers get cleared.  I'm going to do something else/find someplace to stash my stuff. 

• Like 1

With regard to the locker idea, ski areas have changed from a key lock, to a code system. Much like the safe in the cabins, enter your code that unlocks your locker for the day, then at a certain time, all lockers are cleared for the next day and all codes wiped. Seems like a simple idea to implement, and one that can't be totally taken advantage of for days on end. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

With regard to the locker idea, ski areas have changed from a key lock, to a code system. Much like the safe in the cabins, enter your code that unlocks your locker for the day, then at a certain time, all lockers are cleared for the next day and all codes wiped. Seems like a simple idea to implement, and one that can't be totally taken advantage of for days on end. 

Interesting.

From what you describe, would you predict that a "Locker Hog" would come back at that once a day time and renew their code?

My thoughts for instance, the code is reset at 6am. I clear my items from the locker before going to my cabin at night, wake up early enough to get the locker at 6am after reset, put my items back in for the day, and do it for the cruise. The only thing necessary is to know the time of reset. With that type of logic, one locker per cabin would be necessary on the Lido deck.

About 3,000 lockers need to be created on just one Oasis class ship! Where will we find space for them? 😁

I am always amazed how much time and effort people exert to circumvent policy and rules.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Then what do you do during those 30 minutes?  That's one thing I've never understood.  People will say "notify crew so they can start a clock" (or similar).  I personally am not interested enough to stick around for 30 minutes to see see if loungers get cleared.  I'm going to do something else/find someplace to stash my stuff. 

My vantage point was from one already butt in chair who wanted to get a quick bite to eat.  Worst case we will be having a picnic on deck. 

As for those on the hunt, most wouldn't need to necessarily hover like vultures over a lounger ticking towards expiration. I believe most would follow your lead

Having a return by notice on loungers would be quite helpful for others who…

want (loungers by bar, hot tub, pool or kids splash area etc)

or

need (medical conditions such as diabetes/meds & photosensitivity that warrant shade) specific areas  

Of course, the lines’ intent may just be lip service to sooth cruisers over the chair hog issue.  In the end, a likelihood they

don’t have the staff or inclination to execute whatever policy.  Think this all

just might be more of the effect of keep off the grass signs