Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well hopefully Viking does not need cats to take care of the rats.

Haha!! no cats required, that's the cadet's job. Having been Chief Rat Catcher onboard a ship, I can speak from experience.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

I’ve forwarded another email to Viking attaching the photo above. I’m really incensed by this.

When I say final fling it’s because a) it involves long haul flights, my husband is getting older   (9 years difference between us), flying even short haul is becoming a chore with the state of airlines/airports & b) we’ll maybe run out of money with the cost of Viking cruises 😂😂

I have also forwarded the photo to the Basle Office.

34 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Great - the more the merrier👍

I e-mailed tellus also. This development is disturbing.

On a lighter note, I am going to be investigating whether I can register myself as an "emotional support animal" as it seems that an ESA travels for free. I have been told by DW that I am easily trained, compliant, capable of learning new tricks and I come with the added bonus of working for just food and drinks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

16 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

On a lighter note, I am going to be investigating whether I can register myself as an "emotional support animal" as it seems that an ESA travels for free. I have been told by DW that I am easily trained, compliant, capable of learning new tricks and I come with the added bonus of working for just food and drinks.

If only I could say the same about my husband 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Yes, but where do you do your "business"?

21 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

If only I could say the same about my husband 😂😂

Having problems getting KBs Dad trained to use the deck 9 facilities, he's quite good at sitting still and keeping quiet though. May still have to pay his fare 🤔😁

3 minutes ago, Louby-Lou said:

We've seen dogs on cruises from the US but never from the UK.  I checked P & O's website for the Assistance Dog Policy from the UK and I'm not surprised we haven't seen any dogs!

For anyone who's interested:

https://www.pocruises.com/accessibility/life-onboard/assistance-dogs

Interesting - yes I think those regs would put pay to all the dogs travelling on Viking.  Going to check out if it’s the same for rest of EU

I received an encouraging reply from Basle.

Paraphrasing, it basically stated we (Viking) will address this strongly and it will be the last challenge of this kind.

We leave our pets at home, so hoping Viking can develop policies that ensure only fully trained and certified service animals are permitted onboard. Pets should be left at home, as we do with our pets.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

This dog was aboard our month long cruise to French Polynesia in January 2022 (photo was originally posted by another passenger) We saw the dog around the ship fairly often, usually in a shoulder bag the owner carried it in. We weren’t happy about the dog being allowed on that cruise and asked a crew member about it. He said they had gotten permission somehow. Sure hope Viking stops this practice! image.thumb.jpeg.cd4136b821d9d39312429b381d0936c6.jpeg

Edited by gincolo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Paraphrasing, it basically stated we (Viking) will address this strongly and it will be the last challenge of this kind.

Andy, I am sorry for being so dense but I don't understand what Viking is trying to say here.  What is meant by last challenge of this kind? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, gincolo said:

This dog was aboard our month long cruise to French Polynesia in January 2022 (photo was originally posted by another passenger) We saw the dog around the ship fairly often, usually in a shoulder bag the owner carried it in. We weren’t happy about the dog being allowed on that cruise and asked a crew member about it. He said they had gotten permission somehow. Sure hope Viking stops this practice! image.thumb.jpeg.cd4136b821d9d39312429b381d0936c6.jpeg

We were on that cruise and saw the dog with a group of people getting their photo taken on the stairs in the atrium and on a young woman’s lap in the Explorer’s Lounge.

I can’t imagine being on a cruise with 4 dogs, like the people on the Star!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Andy, I am sorry for being so dense but I don't understand what Viking is trying to say here.  What is meant by last challenge of this kind? 

Thanks.

The challenge is in reference to the current issue of the complaints arising from the dogs aboard Viking Star.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We leave our pets at home, so hoping Viking can develop policies that ensure only fully trained and certified service animals are permitted onboard. Pets should be left at home, as we do with our pets.

What email address do you have for Basel?  I emailed three days ago with my concerns since Im on board right now and had complained to the front desk manager about the dogs sitting on the chairs in the World Cafe, etc very early into the cruise.... and nothing had changed.  No one from where I emailed my concerns has reached out. 

I too did three months on the World Cruise you were on....never had the pleasure of meeting you.  Followed your wonderful blog once you couldnt get back home.

Funny how you get a reply sitting in Canada with your amazing beautiful big truck and Im currently on the cruise and hear chirp chirp chirp. 👌👍😊

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

What email address do you have for Basel?  I emailed three days ago with my concerns since Im on board right now and had complained to the front desk manager about the dogs sitting on the chairs in the World Cafe, etc very early into the cruise.... and nothing had changed.  No one from where I emailed my concerns has reached out. 

I too did three months on the World Cruise you were on....never had the pleasure of meeting you.  Followed your wonderful blog once you couldnt get back home.

Funny how you get a reply sitting in Canada with your amazing beautiful big truck and Im currently on the cruise and hear chirp chirp chirp. 👌👍😊

I emailed Tellus on Tuesday but haven’t received an acknowledgement or response.

Sorry you are dealing with this on your cruise.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gincolo said:

This dog was aboard our month long cruise to French Polynesia in January 2022 (photo was originally posted by another passenger) We saw the dog around the ship fairly often, usually in a shoulder bag the owner carried it in. We weren’t happy about the dog being allowed on that cruise and asked a crew member about it. He said they had gotten permission somehow. Sure hope Viking stops this practice!

Where did this cruise originate? 

2 minutes ago, Haworth said:

On the Viking Mars maiden voyage, Karine Hagen had her 2 very well behaved Labradors, Finse and Charlie with her 

My concern is how can Viking tell passengers they cannot bring dogs onboard if Karina Hagen travels with hers - no matter how well they behave?

• Like 6