Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

Its interesting that most of these reports of dogs are on board Viking ships are on those cruises originating in the US.  I wonder if Viking is being more ADA compliant because its the US or they are afraid of discrimination lawsuits.  I believe more scooters have been seen on Viking cruises out of the US also.  Its easier to get your pet or motored aid to a US port.

30 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Its interesting that most of these reports of dogs are on board Viking ships are on those cruises originating in the US.  I wonder if Viking is being more ADA compliant because its the US or they are afraid of discrimination lawsuits.  I believe more scooters have been seen on Viking cruises out of the US also.  Its easier to get your pet or motored aid to a US port.

Hi Lorna - I was thinking (and selfishly hoping) this myself as our next 2 cruises are from Europe! Still disappointing though as we were thinking of having a final fling with a Panama Canal - Ft Lauderdale to LA for Christmas 2024. We’ll see what Viking.com comes back & also what our next cruise in September is like. 

30 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Perhaps it's the customer demographic for those cruises, or different cultures regarding emotional support animals or scooter use in other countries?

I'm thinking that if other cruise lines sailing out of, say, Miami are relaxed about scooters and dogs then there may be an expectation that Viking will be the same, and staff do not have the confidence to challenge passengers? 

• Like 2

At lunch today I saw one of the dogs sitting on a chair outside the World Café. I spoke to a supervisor about this being unacceptable and he sent staff out to speak with the dog's owner. The dog then spent the rest of the mealtime sitting under the table.

PXL_20230330_113015427.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, florafun said:

At lunch today I saw one of the dogs sitting on a chair outside the World Café. I spoke to a supervisor about this being unacceptable and he sent staff out to speak with the dog's owner. The dog then spent the rest of the mealtime sitting under the table.

Thanks for speaking up!

It’s so inappropriate!

Glad someone spoke to the owner. 

• Like 10

People in this thread need to contact viking in writing. I did. Told them like their 18 age policy it needs major NO emotional support animal emphasis.
Best to nip it in the bud before it becomes widespread accepted practice and proliferates.

I know shipboard cats were a naval tradition but imagine a herd of emotional support meowsers jumping up and devouring the sushi bar. Then attacking the gelato station en masse.  Chaos!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There is a similar ongoing thread on Oceania as a dog with similar behaviors as these is currently on one of their ships.

A  cc member offers up a possible solution for cruise lines, if they were to adopt it, so I am not in any way taking credit for this concept/idea. It gets to my continued dismay over how airlines have been able to reduce this behavior, and yet it seems to be growing on cruise ships. 

Apparently, a method adopted in which the airlines used to quell the menagerie is under the ADA approved questions - Two approved questions used by US DOT - you are able to ask for the name of the animal trainer or training organization. Apparently this is published under US DOT Service Animal Air Transportation form.  I don’t know how effective it would be, but it is an idea if it is not currently being required. 

Another poster said that there is currently a Viking ship with 12 dogs on board - do not know the validity.

My point is that Viking and all Cruise Lines need to get their acts together on this NOW. The pictures posted here are unacceptable. There needs to be a reform to cruise lines allowances while still acting in good faith to protect actual service animals, which the ADA intended to protect in the law. 

• Like 4

Just now, florafun said:

#1. We have seen this on a regular basis inside the World Cafe (breakfast,  lunch and dinner). I complained to the front desk manager on day two of the cruise.  Nothing changed.  That is why I started this conversation.   

#2.  Yesterday a different owner and his approx 25 pound dog were enjoying a sunning on a lounge chair by the back pool.   The owner was lying in the lounge and the dog was lying on top of him.  The owner covered the dog with a pool towel leaving just the dogs head out. 

#3.  Yesterday on deck 9 where the dogs bathroom square is located.  The dog did his business then stepped in it and it left doggy paw prints all on deck 9 and the stairs.  That was cleaned up but they also leave white paw prints all over deck nine because the substance they do their business on is white chaulk like (kinda like kitty liter) ...so they step in that after they urinate and the prints are left every where.  So nice to see that near the putting green, shuffle board area or sunning area on lovely deck nine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Hi Lorna - I was thinking (and selfishly hoping) this myself as our next 2 cruises are from Europe! Still disappointing though as we were thinking of having a final fling with a Panama Canal - Ft Lauderdale to LA for Christmas 2024. We’ll see what Viking.com comes back & also what our next cruise in September is like. 

Final fling?  Our next cruise is Europe 2024 and was hoping same.  Thinking the one after that might be Panama Canal 2025.

27 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

People in this thread need to contact viking in writing. I did. Told them like their 18 age policy it needs major NO emotional support animal emphasis.
Best to nip it in the bud before it becomes widespread accepted practice and proliferates.

I know shipboard cats were a naval tradition but imagine a herd of emotional support meowsers jumping up and devouring the sushi bar. Then attacking the gelato station en masse.  Chaos!!!

Well hopefully Viking does not need cats to take care of the rats.

• Haha 4

Just now, Travelingwithstyle said:

#1. We have seen this on a regular basis inside the World Cafe (breakfast,  lunch and dinner). I complained to the front desk manager on day two of the cruise.  Nothing changed.  That is why I started this conversation.   

#2.  Yesterday a different owner and his approx 25 pound dog were enjoying a sunning on a lounge chair by the back pool.   The owner was lying in the lounge and the dog was lying on top of him.  The owner covered the dog with a pool towel leaving just the dogs head out. 

#3.  Yesterday on deck 9 where the dogs bathroom square is located.  The dog did his business then stepped in it and it left doggy paw prints all on deck 9 and the stairs.  That was cleaned up but they also leave white paw prints all over deck nine because the substance they do their business on is white chaulk like (kinda like kitty liter) ...so they step in that after they urinate and the prints are left every where.  So nice to see that near the putting green, shuffle board area or sunning area on lovely deck nine.

To clarify my above post ...#3 is a different dog than the #1 dog and  the #2 dog. #3 dog has also been seen off tge leash and a passenger told them to put the dog on a leash beacuse it ran towards a passenger.  #4 dog eats scraps from owners hands under table, barks etc.  So none of the dogs in my opinion are well trained.  Trust me Im not obsessed with what these owners and dogs are doing....it is just in your face and cant avoid seeing them. 

• Like 8

Having been a dental hygienist for 32 years, I have had several service dogs come with patients to appointments.  They sit the entire time, without a bit of a fuss or mess.  We have to do extra cleaning after the dog is in the operatory.

Several people would bring support dogs. They are not trained and run all over, poop, and even throw up in the operatory.  Bark when dental tools are used.  It is horrible and we also have to do extra cleaning after that.  Why should I have to do extra cleaning just because someone doesn't want to leave their dog at home?  I saw no emotional support given with the several dogs that have been taken into our office. 

Why are the room stewards or deck hands given more work just to accommodate selfish, entitled people? 

Cruiselines need to stop this practice immediately.  No dogs unless they are certified, licensed and professionally trained service dogs.   

• Like 15

1 hour ago, florafun said:

Thank you for speaking up.....

• Like 2

Thank you for speaking up. I'm also pleased to hear that the pax acted accordingly when notified. Sometimes, people need reminding that what goes at home does not translate to public spaces. 🍺🥌

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Apparently, a method adopted in which the airlines used to quell the menagerie is under the ADA approved questions - Two approved questions used by US DOT - you are able to ask for the name of the animal trainer or training organization. Apparently this is published under US DOT Service Animal Air Transportation form.  I don’t know how effective it would be, but it is an idea if it is not currently being required. 

This would be a great idea except I know people who have used "dog trainers" to come for a couple visits to their house and call the dog trained. There is an abundance of unscrupulous people who would be happy to "verify" that your pet is a service dog. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Told them like their 18 age policy it needs major NO emotional support animal emphasis.

Last night we had dinner with friends who would like to do a WC, but have never cruised before and wanted to start off with something smaller.  He is ready to go, she is not.  But his selling point was “no children, right.”  I said yes!  But I didn’t have the heart to tell him about the dog issue.  

• Like 1

Perhaps cruise lines should ask for a letter from a doctor and owner to fill in a questionnaire in advance, same as I have to do for my prescription controlled drugs and for my wheelchair or scooter. 

Gives the cruise line the ability to refuse remotely and gives the probably harassed check in person a solid reason to say no, as the dog wouldn't have been cleared in advance

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

A responsible owner would clean the dogs feet immediately, that type of stuff can cause skin irritations, particularly combined with urine. Safe to use, just needs that basic precaution. A paper hand towel can be used and is easy to dispose of. They are in dispensers just inside the public loo entrances. 

Also the decent thing to do, housekeeping are staff, not slaves. 

I would also bring a dog towel or blanket from home to keep the shed as contained as possible, and off the furniture and other shared items, I've seen assistance dog owners do this frequently. 

Of course a mobility impaired person can be excused if they can't manage it

41 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Final fling?  Our next cruise is Europe 2024 and was hoping same.  Thinking the one after that might be Panama Canal 2025.

I’ve forwarded another email to Viking attaching the photo above. I’m really incensed by this.

When I say final fling it’s because a) it involves long haul flights, my husband is getting older   (9 years difference between us), flying even short haul is becoming a chore with the state of airlines/airports & b) we’ll maybe run out of money with the cost of Viking cruises 😂😂

• Like 2

Thank you from me as well - needs a few more responsible passengers like yourself to voice their objections. 

• Like 2

I wonder how many of these passengers are bringing dogs because of Viking featuring the owner’s daughter’s dog in promotional materials, on Facebook, and on Viking TV. It’s certainly gives the impression that Viking is dog friendly. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

Perhaps cruise lines should ask for a letter from a doctor and owner to fill in a questionnaire in advance, same as I have to do for my prescription controlled drugs and for my wheelchair or scooter. 

Gives the cruise line the ability to refuse remotely and gives the probably harassed check in person a solid reason to say no, as the dog wouldn't have been cleared in advance

Viking, like most lines, does require advance permission - from their FAQs:

Are pets allowed on board?
No pets or other animals are allowed on board the ship, other than service
animals and certified therapy dogs as Viking may choose to permit at its
sole discretion. Guests who require the aid of a service animal or certified
therapy dog must advise Viking at the time of booking, and complete and
submit the Service Animal Request Form to Viking before final payment is
due. Failure to do so may result in a denial of boarding.

I was curious, but unable to find the request form online. Acceptance of an application and / or enforcement of the policy is, of course, a different matter. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Completion

1 hour ago, Hobson1754 said:

I’ve forwarded another email to Viking attaching the photo above. I’m really incensed by this.

When I say final fling it’s because a) it involves long haul flights, my husband is getting older   (9 years difference between us), flying even short haul is becoming a chore with the state of airlines/airports & b) we’ll maybe run out of money with the cost of Viking cruises 😂😂

Thank you Hobson -

I have done the same thing (email and picture to Viking tellus).  Hopefully more people do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Viking, like most lines, does require advance permission - from their FAQs:

Are pets allowed on board?
No pets or other animals are allowed on board the ship, other than service
animals and certified therapy dogs as Viking may choose to permit at its
sole discretion. Guests who require the aid of a service animal or certified
therapy dog must advise Viking at the time of booking, and complete and
submit the Service Animal Request Form to Viking before final payment is
due. Failure to do so may result in a denial of boarding.

I was curious, but unable to find the request form online. Acceptance of an application and / or enforcement of the policy is, of course, a different matter. 🍺🥌

They emailed the wheelchair form to us along with guidelines about what is/isn't allowed. There was also a fitness to travel medical questionnaire. 

The medical questionnaire would maybe help discourage the people we are discussing if used for dog applications. People with disabilities are likely filling it in allready. 

The section you quote is interesting, as a therapy dog is not the same as an emotional support animal. 

In the UK assistance and therapy dogs have official recognition, training certification and registration schemes. They have different laws regarding where they are allowed. 

Emotional support animal doesn't exist as an individually recognised category for right of access laws as far as I have been able to check (I had a look through the UK online info after you found that EU document) 

An assistance dog is often described as sentient medical equipment, the human cannot carry out basic day to day activities without it, hence they are allowed in everywhere. 

Therapy dogs are not considered essential for day to day activities so they have limited access