Cruise ship hot tubs - safe or not?

Sigyn

2 hours ago, resetjet said:

That may be true but because it evaporates so fast at high temps it is the opposite effect.  

So, the evaporation lowers the total chlorine, and the measuring sensors and dosing pumps keep replenishing it, and you have a stable chlorine level.

And, neither dpd or titration give a continuous reading, which the amperometric sensors used on ships do.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, Denversail said:

Wait until you hear about sea lice, sand fleas, and flesh eating bacteria. All risk of the ocean. 

I was joking last week that I’m over informed and it will now take a lot of Alcohol for me to get into any water while on my trip. 

to others point, these things are not new. Unfortunately you can’t unlearn them now. 🤣🤣

Recent reports of sand fleas and sea lice out of Routan. I think it was Maya Chen (or something like that)

If it's Maya Cay, terrific.  

11 hours ago, Tapi said:

Some things are similar, some things are vastly different. 

One thing where I consider MSC and Royal  to be similar is in the “wow” factor of their newest and largest ships. In fact, I had never sailed on any ship that came even close to Royal’s Oasis class until I sailed on MSC. Their new World class ships close the gap further in terms of size and amenities. They even have 2 deck loft suites, inside facing balconies and their version of The Abyss. 

In general, their ships are beautiful, tastefully appointed, with tons of activities, great program for kids and teens, specialty dining etc. 

The biggest difference you’ll find is in their service and fellow passengers. MSC caters heavily to an international clientele, more specifically European. You’ll still sail with a large percentage of Americans, but you’ll notice that announcements, activities, and some cuisine selections cater to a broader clientele. Don’t be surprised to hear important announcements made in 7 languages in rapid succession.

Service tends to feel a bit more aloof (probably a cultural difference). They are there for whatever you may need, but they’re somewhat stoic, not in your face, happy, cheery like when you cruise on American lines, so some may come across as being uninterested. But it’s not the case. The more international vibe is actually one of the things that I love about MSC. 

Don’t forget to sign up for their loyalty match program. Whatever highest status you have on any cruise line or hotel chain, they’ll match it to their similar status level. This will give you an additional 5% discount off your cruise fare.

Overall, it’s a great product. I’ve truly enjoyed sailing on them.  

Good to read this.  We actually booked 3 cruises with MSC in the upcoming year but in Yacht club, one being a YC inside.  Status matched to gold.  So far, it has been quick and easy to book and ask questions either phone or email.  Their YC gives you so much more and is cheaper.  We have 2 devices pp included as well as premium drinks, thermal suite for the week plus OBC.  And you have an option to move booking once if needed with no penalty.  For the price, I'll gladly take stoic.  Celebrity retreat is outrageous pricing and Royal is close but more perks with MSC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Their YC gives you so much more and is cheaper. .

We did one of those YC Duplex Suites (like a crown loft suite) in the Med for layout the same price as an oceanview balcony in the Caribbean on Royal. 

Granted, we went during the off season (November), but still, I kept double and triple checking the price after I booked it to make sure that it wasn’t a mistake. 😂

Chat GPT says it's generally safe. Here's the AI answer:

Hot tubs on cruise ships are generally safe when properly maintained and sanitized. Cruise lines follow strict guidelines and use sanitizing chemicals, such as chlorine or bromine, to keep hot tubs clean and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria or other microorganisms. Additionally, they are required to comply with international health and safety regulations to ensure passenger safety.

However, there is always some level of risk associated with using public hot tubs, including those on cruise ships. If the hot tub is not adequately maintained or if other users introduce contaminants, there is a chance of contracting an infection or developing a skin rash.

To minimize the risks associated with using hot tubs on cruise ships, consider the following precautions:

• Shower before and after using the hot tub to remove any dirt, oils, or bacteria that could contaminate the water.
  • Avoid using the hot tub if you have open wounds or skin infections.
  • Be cautious when using the hot tub if you have a weakened immune system, as you may be more susceptible to infections.
  • Do not swallow hot tub water, as it may contain harmful bacteria or chemicals.
  • Pay attention to your body and leave the hot tub if you start to feel unwell or experience any discomfort.
  • If you have any concerns about the cleanliness or maintenance of a hot tub, speak to a crew member or avoid using it altogether.

By taking these precautions and ensuring that the hot tub is well-maintained, you can safely enjoy this relaxing amenity on a cruise ship.

• Haha 4

I don't know if anyone else has noted this, but I was told by a crew member that (at least on Royal Caribbean) that in addition to the normal chlorination level of the hot tubs (which handles most of the germs, every night, they are not simply emptied and refilled in the morning. 

After they are emptied each night, the are refilled with Hypercholrinated water that is far to concentrated for human safety and comfort, and the water is thoroughly circulated through the pumps and jets. Then, they are drained and refilled. 

This is considerably more than is done with typical land based hot tubs at hotels or at private residences. 

I feel safe enough. 

11 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

I don't know if anyone else has noted this, but I was told by a crew member that (at least on Royal Caribbean) that in addition to the normal chlorination level of the hot tubs (which handles most of the germs, every night, they are not simply emptied and refilled in the morning. 

After they are emptied each night, the are refilled with Hypercholrinated water that is far to concentrated for human safety and comfort, and the water is thoroughly circulated through the pumps and jets. Then, they are drained and refilled. 

This is considerably more than is done with typical land based hot tubs at hotels or at private residences. 

I feel safe enough. 

See post #61.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We did one of those YC Duplex Suites (like a crown loft suite) in the Med for layout the same price as an oceanview balcony in the Caribbean on Royal. 

Granted, we went during the off season (November), but still, I kept double and triple checking the price after I booked it to make sure that it wasn’t a mistake. 😂

My deluxe suite during Christmas week 2023 is 1/2 price of my AQ on celebrity equinox this past February.  But, I will only sail in YC as it appears this is the best way to experience MSC.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, the evaporation lowers the total chlorine, and the measuring sensors and dosing pumps keep replenishing it, and you have a stable chlorine level.

And, neither dpd or titration give a continuous reading, which the amperometric sensors used on ships do.

You are still going to have to explain what they do when the total chlorine is 10,  the combined chlorine is 8 and the free chlorine is 2.  You simply cannot leave people in the tub,  period the end.  I have never seen them kick everyone out and close a tub.  Only in the case of poop in spa does that happen.

5 hours ago, resetjet said:

You are still going to have to explain what they do when the total chlorine is 10,  the combined chlorine is 8 and the free chlorine is 2.  You simply cannot leave people in the tub,  period the end.  I have never seen them kick everyone out and close a tub.  Only in the case of poop in spa does that happen.

Combined chlorine, in the form of chloramines will off-gas to the atmosphere.

5 hours ago, resetjet said:

If anyone thinks i am nutty just google “skin infection from cruise ship hot tub.”  Pages upon pages of results.  Happy soaking!!!!

I got a skin reaction to hot tubs both at neighbors hottub and one at an airbnb at the shore.  Pretty uncomfortable.  It's why <I keep my hottub clean and always drain and scrub after parties.  I don't care what the measuring levels are for chlorine on the ship's hottubs.  Anyone who drinks in the hottub and sits in there all day is peeing in the hottub.  Therefore I chose to use the outside showers to rinse off if Im hot outside and drink in the shade.  Or stay on my balcony where my bathroom is a few feet away.

11 hours ago, njsmom said:

Chat GPT says it's generally safe. Here's the AI answer:

Hot tubs on cruise ships are generally safe when properly maintained and sanitized. Cruise lines follow strict guidelines and use sanitizing chemicals, such as chlorine or bromine, to keep hot tubs clean and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria or other microorganisms. Additionally, they are required to comply with international health and safety regulations to ensure passenger safety.

However, there is always some level of risk associated with using public hot tubs, including those on cruise ships. If the hot tub is not adequately maintained or if other users introduce contaminants, there is a chance of contracting an infection or developing a skin rash.

To minimize the risks associated with using hot tubs on cruise ships, consider the following precautions:

• Shower before and after using the hot tub to remove any dirt, oils, or bacteria that could contaminate the water.
  • Avoid using the hot tub if you have open wounds or skin infections.
  • Be cautious when using the hot tub if you have a weakened immune system, as you may be more susceptible to infections.
  • Do not swallow hot tub water, as it may contain harmful bacteria or chemicals.
  • Pay attention to your body and leave the hot tub if you start to feel unwell or experience any discomfort.
  • If you have any concerns about the cleanliness or maintenance of a hot tub, speak to a crew member or avoid using it altogether.

By taking these precautions and ensuring that the hot tub is well-maintained, you can safely enjoy this relaxing amenity on a cruise ship.

Oh please, now we're quoting Chat GPT?  

10 hours ago, renza said:

Everyone is booking the excursion to swim with the pigs. That sounds like great fun swimming in pig *****. 

I actually booked that one, then read about it - the pig poop and also how the pigs are treated in some places - and cancelled it. I realized I could not support it in good conscious. The pig poop was a factor. I admit it. 

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Combined chlorine, in the form of chloramines will off-gas to the atmosphere.

Yes over the course of many hours or days.  Its unhealthy right now.  What do you do?  My health dept allows a combined chlorine of .4ppm.  What is is on ships?  I am gonna have some fun with this on the next cruise.  I am willing to bet not one hot tub will pass this test.  

Edited by resetjet

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I got a skin reaction to hot tubs both at neighbors hottub and one at an airbnb at the shore.  Pretty uncomfortable.  It's why <I keep my hottub clean and always drain and scrub after parties.  I don't care what the measuring levels are for chlorine on the ship's hottubs.  Anyone who drinks in the hottub and sits in there all day is peeing in the hottub.  Therefore I chose to use the outside showers to rinse off if Im hot outside and drink in the shade.  Or stay on my balcony where my bathroom is a few feet away.

Rashes are very common,  if you use bromine instead,  it will cut down on that. Its a better solution for a personal hot tub imo.

Just now, resetjet said:

Rashes are very common,  if you use bromine instead,  it will cut down on that. Its a better solution for a personal hot tub imo.

My husband handles ours.  I only go in that one now.  He uses what we call the 3 Bs.  Baking soda, Borax, Bleach or chlorine.  Same as our pool.  We never have had issues in over 15 years.  The hottub rash is really itchy and painful.  I had to take antibiotics both times.

41 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Yes over the course of many hours or days.

That may be true for pools, but the turbulence in a hot tub accelerates the off-gassing.

41 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I am willing to bet not one hot tub will pass this test.

Realize that the cruise ships do not follow your local/state health regulations, but those of the CDC, so read the Vessel Sanitation Plan for the required tests and limits.  Just a note, that the CDC did a study of several hundred land pools, and found that over 80% of them would fail the CDC's requirements, and about 70% of child splash areas would be immediately closed if subject to the CDC's requirements.

Are public hot tubs appealing?  Not to me personally.  Are they safe?  Yes.

Edited by chengkp75

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That may be true for pools, but the turbulence in a hot tub accelerates the off-gassing.

Realize that the cruise ships do not follow your local/state health regulations, but those of the CDC, so read the Vessel Sanitation Plan for the required tests and limits.  Just a note, that the CDC did a study of several hundred land pools, and found that over 80% of them would fail the CDC's requirements, and about 70% of child splash areas would be immediately closed if subject to the CDC's requirements.

Are public hot tubs appealing?  Not to me personally.  Are they safe?  Yes.

So hot tubs on ships are safe but not on land,  that are not open 16 hours a day?  
There is no situation that i can think of where the bathing loads even come close to what i see on ships. Plus the number of small children. It stands to reason a higher metric would apply vs land.  
Anyway i am living proof that they are NOT always safe.  I’ll bring my test kits on the next one and post what i find. 
i am a certified pool operator and have many years of experience taking care of my resorts large overcrowded pool.  If you  talk to my cpo instructor, who is one of the most knowlegeable people in the united states on aquatics and he will give you an earful.  The simple fact is they are not safe 100% of the time on land or sea.  But i am quite sure worse at sea due to the absolutely extreme bathing loads in the tubs.

10 hours ago, resetjet said:

If anyone thinks i am nutty just google “skin infection from cruise ship hot tub.”  Pages upon pages of results.  Happy soaking!!!!

I don't think anyone thinks your "nutty", you had a horrible experience which shapes your future behavior.  That's perfectly reasonable.  You also have experience in the industry. But you also seem to convey that cruise hot tubs are unsafe and should not be used, at least indirectly you're saying that.  

I can Google or YouTube lot's of things about cruise safety and health, I could link to them and go on and on page after page to make my point.  Lookup cruise ship illnesses from the buffet, assaults on ships, Noro, excursion accidents, theft on ships etc.  Go to the "cruise lawyer's" website and see how unsafe cruising is according to him....not just hot tub use. I sympathize with you for your experience, that must have been tough. But many feel differently and use the hot tubs regularly without incident. They will have a "Happy soaking!!!!"  Just watch human behavior on a cruise ship and you'll see many unsanitary practices by passengers.  Travel related illness and accidents happen regularly, but common sense tells me that millions cruise every year without incident.  Doesn't mean something bad can't happen.  The major travel industries aren't in the business of wanting to see its customers get sick and face lawsuits. Again sorry for your past experience.  

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

I am gonna have some fun with this on the next cruise.  I am willing to bet not one hot tub will pass this test.  

I'm presuming you're going to test them yourself, and if like you say they fail the test you bring on board what will your next action be? Alert all of the passengers? The staff? 

• Like 1