Cruise ship hot tubs - safe or not?

Sigyn

4 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

And those damn mattresses 🤯

imagjne the 100’s if not 1000’s of couples that have ……… and slept .. in the cabin you have booked 

Just think about that next time you are laying on you bed in your cabin 

“I wonder how many people have” xxxx in this bed I am laying on.

On one cruise, my kids kept complaining that their mattress 'smelled'. Maybe on the second night, I went in and took off the sheet. It was unbelievably, horribly stained. They did replace the mattress, upon request. I hope they immediately burned it and didn't trade it out!

At least there is a thin protective layer on the mattress. There is no protection from hot tub fluids; they are mixing right in!

And I always bring my own pillow. 

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1

imagjne the 100’s if not 1000’s of couples that have ……… and slept .. in the cabin you have booked 

Meanwhile, in other news Amazon reports orders of plastic mattress covers have surged unexplainably.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, marci22 said:

On one cruise, my kids kept complaining that their mattress 'smelled'. Maybe on the second night, I went in and took off the sheet. It was unbelievably, horribly stained. They did replace the mattress, upon request. I hope they immediately burned it and didn't trade it out!

At least there is a thin protective layer on the mattress. There is no protection from hot tub fluids; they are mixing right in!

And the ocean?  With all the animal and human fluids (and solids)? 

and these toilets In the carpark at terminal G in Miami 

Only ones available for a few thousand guests 

I literally puked on entry 🤮 

Those that have used these will know what I am talking about

humanity does not exist in this Porto loo 

1973B042-5EA2-491E-85B8-0B8692DAF1E3.jpeg

1 minute ago, PompeySailor said:

Never use. I will find another way.

12 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Just think about that next time you are laying on your bed in your cabin 

“I wonder how many people have” xxxx in this bed I am laying on.

Covid educated a few for a little while on basic hygiene, but I’m sure in reality our immune systems tolerate the majority of unsanitary behavior 

Then you add in that bedspreads are washed rarely, if at all.  So, not just the bed, but the actual uncleaned surface where people have ....    
This is why I banish bedspreads to the corner of hotel rooms, and plan on banishing them from the room entirely on the cruise.  Also, the main reason I bring my comforter when travelling f possible.  

• Like 1

Get a stateroom with your own hot tub. We did! It was absolutely awesome!

Not only did we have the hot tub all to ourselves, but we could sit there and watch as the ship arrived and departed at each port. It was also pretty awesome to use it late at night. 

79123275-4210-4EFB-9FE1-1E83AED26D60.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Not only did we have the hot tub all to ourselves, but we could sit there and watch as the ship arrived and departed at each port. It was also pretty awesome to use it late at night. 

We typically do 

The numerous RS on Royal and MSC and the Penthouse on X

see our PS video on beyond below 

Indoor hot-tub for 4 

Was amazing

and emptied and filled daily 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

I'm kind of freaking myself out. Okay, no "kind of" about it. We're cruising on Harmony of the Seas in three days and I never thought about how the hot tubs on cruise ships (or hotels for that matter) were bacteria-filled pits of Primordial soup until reading another post on CC. Now? Well, now my eyes are opened. And I'm utterly disgusted. The feces, the urine, the hot, steamy potential for bacteria growth and everything else up to Legionnaire's disease. 

Here's one article I found that points out "Hot tubs are frequent transfer stations for bacteria, including one type of infection known as "hot tub rash"https://www.vice.com/en/article/4354ed/how-gross-is-the-hot-tub-in-my-hotel-or-spa and if you google the topic there are legions (pun intended) of others. 

How did I live for five decades without knowing this? 

Ah Yes, Pee-ople Soup! After observing a couple do the Dirty in a Royal Hot Tub on my second Royal Cruise, Nope! Though haven't been in public Hot Tub since early 80's, when realized they were used for Nooner's. Hey cant rent Hotel by the hour but this they could...

Edited by ONECRUISER

We typically do 

The numerous RS on Royal and MSC and the Penthouse on X

Yes. MSC in particular makes it very affordable to have your own hot tub in your balcony. 

• Like 1

To each their own, right? Some people bring Clorox wipes when they stay in a hotel and wipe down all the door handles and high-touch surfaces.  Some people hand-sanitize >50 times per day.  Some people won't shake hands.  You be you.  No one is going to approach you on your sanitized lounger in the solarium asking you for reasons why you're not in the hot tub. No one cares, so hot tub, or don't. 

Edited by Toddcan

3 hours ago, njsmom said:

Maybe this is why everyone drinks when they're in them - it's when you forget about the butt juice in the hot tub with everyone!!! 😂

Trying to figure out why you are putting Butt Juice in a hot tub, that is for fishing in the ocean?

There is no fish in those hot tubs onboard a cruise ship.

31445441511513_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1581711106

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

My wife had to use one of those (horribly disgusting in her opinion) in Miami when SAS stood us up and we had to wait even longer for another SAS driver. 🤬

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, marci22 said:

That's so gross!!!!!

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Big NO from me on that one. 

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Then you add in that bedspreads are washed rarely, if at all.  So, not just the bed, but the actual uncleaned surface where people have ....    
This is why I banish bedspreads to the corner of hotel rooms, and plan on banishing them from the room entirely on the cruise.  Also, the main reason I bring my comforter when travelling f possible.  

I DO THIS, TOO!!!! I always banish bedspreads to the corner of hotel rooms. Exactly this. 

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

79123275-4210-4EFB-9FE1-1E83AED26D60.jpeg

I would love to be able to do this. It looks very expensive tho!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HicksRA said:

When that big ole boy sitting across from you in the tub that’s on his sixth Bud Lite suddenly gets that far away look in his eyes…. You know what he’s doing, right?  😁😉

I think the same goes for the people in the pools, especially solarium pools that have built in seating. I have watched people drink for hours and NEVER get out of the pool. They either have very large bladders, or.......

10 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

I think the same goes for the people in the pools, especially solarium pools that have built in seating. I have watched people drink for hours and NEVER get out of the pool. They either have very large bladders, or.......

I forget that people pee in pools and hot tubs. I simply CANNOT even in the ocean, where I've tried. I've never attempted it in a pool or hot tub.