Cruise ship hot tubs - safe or not?

Sigyn

I'm kind of freaking myself out. Okay, no "kind of" about it. We're cruising on Harmony of the Seas in three days and I never thought about how the hot tubs on cruise ships (or hotels for that matter) were bacteria-filled pits of Primordial soup until reading another post on CC. Now? Well, now my eyes are opened. And I'm utterly disgusted. The feces, the urine, the hot, steamy potential for bacteria growth and everything else up to Legionnaire's disease. 

Here's one article I found that points out "Hot tubs are frequent transfer stations for bacteria, including one type of infection known as "hot tub rash"https://www.vice.com/en/article/4354ed/how-gross-is-the-hot-tub-in-my-hotel-or-spa and if you google the topic there are legions (pun intended) of others. 

How did I live for five decades without knowing this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, njsmom said:

How did I live for five decades without knowing this? 

How could you not? 

Dozens of strange people, sitting in an overcrowded hot tub drinking alcohol for hours on end. What could go wrong?

• Like 7
  • Haha 25

Ever been to a public pool that allows kids?  Heck, even private pools probably have had urine in them.  

I've never had any qualms about using hot tubs (on cruise ships or in hotels).  I don't think of the "bad" things that can happen.  I mean, there are people that won't touch railings or elevator buttons or shake hands (even before Covid).  

If it skeeves you out, don't use them.  But, keep in mind the thousands of people that are using them week after week.  How many are coming down with disease? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

How could you not? 

Dozens of strange people, sitting in an overcrowded hot tub drinking alcohol for hours on end. What could go wrong?

I really don't know. I'm assuming I just chose to not know. I've had pools at home for many years and just believed in the power of chlorine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, njsmom said:

until reading another post on CC

If you took every post on CC seriously you would probably never cruise again. I have used the ship's hot tubs and pools on every cruise and never had an issue.  Could I suffer an issue in the future? Of course but I'm pretty sure the cruise lines don't want to have any issues with the hot tubs making people sick.  I shower pre and post hot tub/pool use and if they are overly crowded I don't go in.  

• Like 6

Builds up the immune system. I love hot tubs, so I figure I'll live to 150 years old with all the stuff I've exposed myself to in hot tubs alone.  

If you're freaked out in the slightest about it - for whatever reason, then skip them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

this is why i always go in the hot hub first thing in the morning when there is no one there and when it is very cleaned

You always GO first thing or GET in first thing 

If you are the first one to GO then I am not going 2nd 😂

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, pittnh said:

the cruise compass listed some as open 24 hours but I would hope the ones that weren't were drained nightly.

It's ususally more like there is at least one open 24 h, but I always see them cleaning them at night.  I assume they order the cleaning/draining so at least 1 is open all the time.

• Like 1

Wait until you hear about sea lice, sand fleas, and flesh eating bacteria. All risk of the ocean. 

I was joking last week that I’m over informed and it will now take a lot of Alcohol for me to get into any water while on my trip. 

to others point, these things are not new. Unfortunately you can’t unlearn them now. 🤣🤣

Recent reports of sand fleas and sea lice out of Routan. I think it was Maya Chen (or something like that)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

It's ususally more like there is at least one open 24 h, but I always see them cleaning them at night.  I assume they order the cleaning/draining so at least 1 is open all the time.

You are absolutely right.

3 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Maybe this is why everyone drinks when they're in them - it's when you forget about the butt juice in the hot tub with everyone!!! 😂

Plus all the alcohol sweating out of everyone's pores has to kill all the bad stuff better than the chemicals they put in there. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

We used hot tubs for years until my DH had an organ transplant and we met with an Infectious Disease Doctor as part of the transplant team and learned to never use a public hot tub.   

I think Royal only empties/cleans the hot tubs between sailings.   

Edited by Sunshine3601

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Ever been to a public pool that allows kids?  Heck, even private pools probably have had urine in them.  

I've never had any qualms about using hot tubs (on cruise ships or in hotels).  I don't think of the "bad" things that can happen.  I mean, there are people that won't touch railings or elevator buttons or shake hands (even before Covid).  

If it skeeves you out, don't use them.  But, keep in mind the thousands of people that are using them week after week.  How many are coming down with disease? 

I agree. Using pools and hot tubs has never bothered me at all.

• Like 1

From the article posted, this says it all:

"Over 15 years, infectious diseases from all non-natural reactional water pools—of which hot tubs were one small subsection—caused 27,219 illnesses and eight deaths. In comparison according to the CDC, foodborne disease causes 48 million illnesses, 128,000 hospitalizations, and 3,000 deaths per year."

I'll take my chances in the hot tub vs the MDR😉  (j/k).

In all seriousness, I've used the hot tub almost every day on every cruise I've taken. Sometimes early, sometimes late and never experienced any issues. I do rinse off before and after using the hot tub.  I feel comfortable using the cruise ships or resort hotels hot tub. Now, a roadside Super 8 or Rodeway Inn on the other hand, maybe not.

I get it, there maybe a certain "ick" factor but I look past it. Much like I don't think of how many dirty human hands have touched my chair whenever I pull it to sit  down/get up in the MDR or WJ.😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

It's the principle of the thing.

47 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Much like I don't think of how many dirty human hands have touched my chair whenever I pull it to sit  down/get up in the MDR or WJ.

I do 😐 The salt and pepper shakers kill me.And menus...

• Like 3

I definitely think about this and think it's gross, but I use them anyway. Never had a problem.

Have you ever thought about how gross the ocean is? All the dead bodies, feces, urine, puke, sewage from ships and other countries who dump toxic waste into the water, etc etc. I swim in it anyway. 

12 minutes ago, marci22 said:

It's the principle of the thing.

I do 😐 The salt and pepper shakers kill me.And menus...

And those damn mattresses 🤯

imagjne the 100’s if not 1000’s of couples that have ……… and slept .. in the cabin you have booked 

Just think about that next time you are laying on your bed in your cabin 

“I wonder how many people have” xxxx in this bed I am laying on.

Covid educated a few for a little while on basic hygiene, but I’m sure in reality our immune systems tolerate the majority of unsanitary behavior 

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2