Eurodam - is there a "no housekeeping needed today" kind of sign?

slidergirl

Yes, this is a strange question, I know.  

I'm on the Eurodam on the April 29th Alaska cruise.  I'll be just 4 days out of finishing my winter season at my Lodge.  I think I'll still be in "service the guest" mode.

I don't need multiple, daily HK service.  Part that I don't need new towels and my bed made every day, part that I see how how the HK staff at my Lodge works and how I've helped out with laundry when they are slammed.  If the service isn't inspected by a supervisor, is there a way to let my cabin attendant know that they can spend their time with others and I will ask if I need something?  Many hotels do this now with the "put the towels in the shower/tub if you want them changed" thing.  

I just get uncomfortable with this kind of thing.  I know most love the service and being fawned over.  

Edited by slidergirl

There is a typical "service please"/"no service" sign you can put out. Your cabin attendant will try to stop by on embarkation day and introduce himself, so you can explain what you want then. 

HAL does say that if you don't want your towels replaced, just hang them up. Leave them on the floor/bathtub if you want them replaced.

They do not change the sheets every day. I'm fine with both of these actions, as I don't get fresh towels or sheets every day at home, so I don't see the need for that when I travel. 

You can probably send a message via Navigator explaining what you want/don't want and why. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a door tag. One side says “privacy please”. The other side says “tidy up please”. The tag fall off the hall side of the door easily, so make sure it is firmly in place when you leave. If you have the “privacy please” sign up, they will delay laundry delivery as well. We did tell them at embarkation that we would only require service once a day, either in the morning or evening

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Fawned over?  Is getting clean towels and your room cleaned being fawned over?

Daily and multiple times in a day, yes.  To me.  

Seeing how guests have behaved over the years in hospitality, some just behave badly toward service staff.  I never want to be one of those guests.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Daily and multiple times in a day, yes.  To me.  

Seeing how guests have behaved over the years in hospitality, some just behave badly toward service staff.  I never want to be one of those guests.

That's not excusable.  That said I've had some pretty mediocre service as well so it goes both ways.  I've never had multiple service, twice only.  To me multiple isn't twice.  I'm sure they will be more than happy to accommodate you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Many hotels do this now with the "put the towels in the shower/tub if you want them changed" thing.  

On your first day, your cabin stewart will ask about your preferences for housekeeping (morning/evening) and you can let them know you would prefer they only change towels that are on the floor (or whatever). They are good at sticking with that, and will still ask you whenever they see you "do you want/need any more towels?"

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

On your first day, your cabin stewart will ask about your preferences for housekeeping (morning/evening) and you can let them know you would prefer they only change towels that are on the floor (or whatever). They are good at sticking with that, and will still ask you whenever they see you "do you want/need any more towels?"

that said: do I wait in my cabin until a cabin attendant comes around to discuss preferences?  Sorry, it's been awhile since my last cruise.

7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

that said: do I wait in my cabin until a cabin attendant comes around to discuss preferences?  Sorry, it's been awhile since my last cruise.

No - they'll find you.

They wander in the halls of their rooms and hunt everybody down at some point early in the cruise.

On our last cruise  we hung up our towels ever day - after about a week housekeeping couldn't handle it anymore and gave us new ones LOL.  So long as the towels dry out when hung I dont' need new ones all the time 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

One of the reasons I take a cruise is "to get fawned over."  I enjoy the twice a day make up of the room and fresh towels, especially if I go the gym and want to shower with a fresh towel in the afternoon before dinner. No, I do not change towels at home every day , but THAT is the reason I pay to go on vacation. Otherwise, I could just stay home.

• Like 2

As has been suggested, best off having a short chat with your room steward on embarkation day as to your needs and expectations will work fine (they can be found in the corridors frequently on Day 1 and yes, the lead will usually knock on your door to introduce himself). HK cabin inspectors (supervisor) can be found in the corridors in the evening.

I would advise against placing the "Don't Disturb" sign in your door slot 24/7 without an explanation, because staff will get worried about your well-being (security gets involved in those also 😉)

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

No - they'll find you.

They wander in the halls of their rooms and hunt everybody down at some point early in the cruise.

oh yes I find them to be quite stealth.  They listen for doors and pop head out of wherever they are.

And I think even though there is a "Once a day service", if they see you and you ask for something I doubt they will turn you down.  After, addl tips are still appreciated.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I would advise against placing the "Don't Disturb" sign in your door slot 24/7 without an explanation, because staff will get worried about your well-being (security gets involved in those also 😉)

Agree and a lot of places have a rule someone from the staff has to check the room at least once a day.  I know they do this at Disney hotels.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

As has been suggested, best off having a short chat with your room steward on embarkation day as to your needs and expectations will work fine (they can be found in the corridors frequently on Day 1 and yes, the lead will usually knock on your door to introduce himself). HK cabin inspectors (supervisor) can be found in the corridors in the evening.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not having the "DND" sign on 24/7 is a no-brainer.  I've had to do welfare checks a few times because the sign was on the door.  Unfortunately, one guest had suicided when we checked.  Encountering that once is enough to be sure someone always knows I'm OK.  

I will enjoy my cruise, thank you.  

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

oh yes I find them to be quite stealth.  They listen for doors and pop head out of wherever they are.

And I think even though there is a "Once a day service", if they see you and you ask for something I doubt they will turn you down.  After, addl tips are still appreciated.

working in hospitality and I know how hard staff works for non-subsistence wages, I always overtip 😉

I have discussed this issue with many Room Stewards.

Most supervisors will check each stateroom every day after morning cleanup.  Not having your bed made during the daily cleaning and you not in the room will cause problems for your Room Steward.  My Room Stewards have begged me to just let them make the bed.

The few minutes they take to make your bed will make both your Room Stewards and their supervisor happy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have discussed this issue with many Room Stewards.

Most supervisors will check each stateroom every day after morning cleanup.  Not having your bed made during the daily cleaning and you not in the room will cause problems for your Room Steward.  My Room Stewards have begged me to just let them make the bed.

The few minutes they take to make your bed will make both your Room Stewards and their supervisor happy.

That was what I wanted to know.  It's stupid.  If I don't want fussed over, a cabin attendant shouldn't be punished.  Maybe I need a big sign that says "the cabin attendant has done EXACTLY what I directed her to do" <note the sarcasm>

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That was what I wanted to know.  It's stupid.  If I don't want fussed over, a cabin attendant shouldn't be punished.  Maybe I need a big sign that says "the cabin attendant has done EXACTLY what I directed her to do" <note the sarcasm>

Or just go with the flow- how is it bad that they make your bed for you? 

• Like 4

The official way to request diminished service is to make a formal contact with the Housekeeping Manager (the room steward's supervisor's boss). Send a written and signed request via the Guest Services desk addressed to the Housekeeping Manager. Detail exactly what you want, and the official request will roll downhill to the stewards. The supervisors will be well aware of what you want.

Some things you can't opt out of, like vacuuming and a few other sanitation details, but the stewards and the supervisor and the manager know all about that.

• Like 1

We don’t expect to be fawned over.  We have always used fresh towels and wash cloths at home, I expect to do the same on vacation.  Bedding change every 5 days is fine.  We always try to keep our cabin tidy so our room stewards have a simple time when servicing our room.  We do not require nighttime turn down service, but like ice in the evening.  We have never had a problem with this, and don’t think that we are expecting unreasonable service.  We always have tipped over the hotel service charges, not because we feel obligated, but because we want to.  As with everyone, we have had some great stewards, only one time did we have one that was a bit too lax.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lissie said:

Or just go with the flow- how is it bad that they make your bed for you? 

Sigh.  Some folks just don't understand, I guess.   Just call me ordinary.  Being in hospitality, I'm just very sensitive to all the work my fellow co-workers in HK do all the time.    I just remember the stories of people saying their attendant was "magically" in their cabin to fix it up every time they left.  It's overkill for me.  Once a day will do just fine.  

Let's let this die.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, slidergirl said:

I'm on the Eurodam on the April 29th Alaska cruise.

Husband and I are also on Eurodam April 29 (just booked yesterday) - hoping for fabulous wildlife and glacier calving. Very nice itinerary to enjoy being freshly off of servicing others - you have a great environment for unwinding.

As for cabin service - you do you and enjoy your vacation. Yes, eventually sup will need to pop in to ensure all is well. And multiple day service is a thing of the past...

• Thanks 1