Changes to Ships at a Glance

potatopotato

Downloaded the PDF for Ships at a Glance and saw that it is a brand new update! There seem to be quite a few changes. Wondering if anyone knows what some of the new additions are. Here are my call outs:

• Taste is new under bars/lounges. Blend is gone. Curious if Taste will replace Blend or if it is something different.
  • Art Studio and Game Room are new. Wonder what spaces those will occupy.
  • Lincoln Center Stage is gone. We knew this was coming, but all ties to it have also been stripped from the website.

I'm sure I'm missing other changes, but these are some I noticed.

hal-ships-at-a-glance-04-03-2023.pdf

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, potatopotato said:

What is pickle ball?

The first time we heard about pickle ball we thought someone was pulling our leg.

Now it is very popular around here (western Canada), and it looks a lot like table tennis, but on a ¼ tennis court (I think). It seems to be something couples especially enjoy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, potatopotato said:

Downloaded the PDF for Ships at a Glance and saw that it is a brand new update! There seem to be quite a few changes. Wondering if anyone knows what some of the new additions are.

Very interesting.  In all our years cruising with HAL we never came across this document before.  What web page did you find it on?  What I find most interesting are the few subtle differences between ships of the same class, that I didn't realize existed.

43 minutes ago, robotpony said:

The first time we heard about pickle ball we thought someone was pulling our leg.

Now it is very popular around here (western Canada), and it looks a lot like table tennis, but on a ¼ tennis court (I think). It seems to be something couples especially enjoy.

Pickleball started in the 1960s.  Popular then in the US and Western Canada.  Popular now because courts are smaller and less expensive.   Also because lots easier for those that are a bit older and less mobile.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, robotpony said:

Ah OK - I can't hit anything to save my life - we'll be giving that a miss! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Very interesting.  In all our years cruising with HAL we never came across this document before.  What web page did you find it on?  What I find most interesting are the few subtle differences between ships of the same class, that I didn't realize existed.

Here's the link: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships.html

The PDF is in the intro paragraph at the top

I attached the previous version here for reference

hal-ships-at-a-glance-12-27-22 (1).pdf

5 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

Third Avenue West????

Yes, that is showing on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam only.  I can't imagine what it might be.  It's listed under "Entertainment".

It also has a Rudi's "Pop UP" listed again on all of the non-Pinnacle class ships.  I hope that is going to come back!

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Yes, that is showing on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam only.  I can't imagine what it might be.  It's listed under "Entertainment".

It also has a Rudi's "Pop UP" listed again on all of the non-Pinnacle class ships.  I hope that is going to come back!

I'd rather have a Tamarind pop-up.

Entertainment choices on the R ship appear to be almost nonexistent. I hope that HAL simply didn't bother to list the Ocean Bar combo that people have reported seeing. My next cruise is on Zaandam. I'll have to stockpile a bunch of paperbacks, as I don't like using a kindle.

I also see that libraries are coming back. I doubt they will be anything like the ships used to have. It takes a long time to build a proper library, not just a bunch of amazon best sellers.

Third Avenue West was the best entertainment on the Eurodam, from which we just disembarked.  It is a trio of pianist, a bass player, and a guitarist.  They were wonderful.  We enjoyed them every night in the Oceans Bar.  The music can be danced to or enjoyed by simply listening.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Cruise tech said:

Third Avenue West is a new jazz trio in the Ocean Bar. 

I am not sure the music would be classified as jazz.  However, they play different genres and present their own interpretation.   

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Third Avenue West was the best entertainment on the Eurodam, from which we just disembarked.  It is a trio of pianist, a bass player, and a guitarist.  They were wonderful.  We enjoyed them every night in the Oceans Bar.  The music can be danced to or enjoyed by simply listening.  

I'm disappointed that they arrived after my Eurodam cruise, but I'm happy to hear that the sad piano that had been pushed way to the back of the little stage in Ocean Bar is getting to make music again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruise tech said:

That sounds good!!  We had live music in the Ocean Bar last fall on the Nieuw Amsterdam and they were very enjoyable.  I'm glad if they make this a regular amenity on all the ships!

~Nancy

• Like 2

Nice to see there are some things changing.  Love the E-dam but was disappointed last summer that no real updates or changes have been implemented on it other than losing the game portion of the "Gallery Bar".  Hope they can continue to innovate and bring some of the well liked features of the Pinnacle class ships to the Signature ships like deli portion of NY Pizza on the Pinnacle ships and Grand Dutch Cafe.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Pickleball started in the 1960s.  Popular then in the US and Western Canada.  Popular now because courts are smaller and less expensive.   Also because lots easier for those that are a bit older and less mobile.

How dare you 😂 

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Cruise tech said:

On my recent NA cruise it was the debut of Third Avenue West on that ship and we enjoyed them every afternoon in the Ocean Bar. It wasn't jazz, though.  More pop and folk - a lot of oldies. No vocals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1