bidding YC cabin to better YC cabin?

Linda W.

I was in  YC interior, a little over a month before sailing they offered me to bid on a YC deluxe.   Minimum bid was about $300 total less than if I initially just booked my choice of cabin outright.

MSC's asking prices for the cabins had actually increased significantly in the months before the bidding was offered.  So if comparing the bid amounts to the new higher prices it looked like a better deal.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 4/5/2023 at 7:44 PM, Até said:

I was in  YC interior, a little over a month before sailing they offered me to bid on a YC deluxe.   Minimum bid was about $300 total less than if I initially just booked my choice of cabin outright.

MSC's asking prices for the cabins had actually increased significantly in the months before the bidding was offered.  So if comparing the bid amounts to the new higher prices it looked like a better deal.

Reviving an old thread, less than 10 days out, 6 YC deluxe available and the min bid to get from my YC Inside to a deluxe is $300 less than buying it right out.

I read on my FB forums, min bid for a YCI from Aurea experience was $150pp.

My wife says that the bidding system is trying to get close to the normal price of the room as possible.

My last experience with bidding was with NCL and you could bid whatever you wanted (i.e. no min bid) and I was hoping for this with MSC but I guess not.

Don't get me wrong, I am content with YCI but was hoping to bid --  now I  know how MSC works (or I think I do).

• Like 1

I am in YCI on Oct 12 and got email to bid yesterday. YC Deluxe suite was available for minimum bid $380 pp. i didnt bid as I am traveling solo and so the cost would be double the bid. It would have been about $500 less than the current cost of 2 people in the deluxe suite.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, awatt said:

I am in YCI on Oct 12 and got email to bid yesterday. YC Deluxe suite was available for minimum bid $380 pp. i didnt bid as I am traveling solo and so the cost would be double the bid. It would have been about $500 less than the current cost of 2 people in the deluxe suite.

I guess it depends on the sailing...best not to try and figure it out....and enjoy my cruise....

• Like 1

We are in a YCI currently. Received an offer to upgrade about 10 days prior to our sailing. A mock booking showed only one deluxe suite available and the minimum bid was $800 pp. we passed as it was going to work out to be the same price if we just upgraded to the one room they had left.

while the added space of the deluxe stateroom 

(and up) is really, really nice, there are so many pros to a YCI that it tends to be my go-to category. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are in a YCI currently. Received an offer to upgrade about 10 days prior to our sailing. A mock booking showed only one deluxe suite available and the minimum bid was $800 pp. we passed as it was going to work out to be the same price if we just upgraded to the one room they had left.

while the added space of the deluxe stateroom 

(and up) is really, really nice, there are so many pros to a YCI that it tends to be my go-to category. 

This is the first time in the YCI (normally we do YC Deluxe), so not 100% sure how I (or more importantly, my wife) will like it.  I saved $3K by booking two YCI vs putting me, my wife and my two teenage daughters in the same room -- plus 2 washrooms.

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

You can check with the Concierge once you are in the YC to see if there is the possibility of an upgrade.  We were able to do it in January from YCI to YC Deluxe for about $75 a night.

That's my backup plan, right now the mock booking for our cruise shows 3 YC balconies left.  Curious, when I think of bidding, I think as long as someone bids and there is a room available, it will be given away...I'm sure there's someone bidding for a YCD.  Or is their computer system looking for a min price before upgrading a bid?  From what I have seen on my sailing forum, some are being upgrade from non YC to YCD with a lower bid than my YCI to YCD.

3 hours ago, xcell said:

I think as long as someone bids and there is a room available, it will be given away..

It isn't quite that simple...

They are looking to maximise the revenue from the entire chain of upgrades so it also matters what cabin type you have and if people are also bidding for that...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

It isn't quite that simple...

They are looking to maximise the revenue from the entire chain of upgrades so it also matters what cabin type you have and if people are also bidding for that...

Sorry, I meant that as a question not a statement.

Curious, as long someone bids, does that mean someone wins?  Or are they looking for a price point before they do the upgrade, i.e. if they don't get the price they want, the won't upgrade, even though someone had made an offer...

Just now, dexddd said:

Their bidding for YC generally not a big savings.  Note the shower in a YIN is coffin sized.

Luckily I don't spend that much time in the shower as the rest of my family.

But thanks for the heads up.   🙂

13 minutes ago, xcell said:

Curious, as long someone bids, does that mean someone wins?  Or are they looking for a price point before they do the upgrade, i.e. if they don't get the price they want, the won't upgrade, even though someone had made an offer...

They will often solicit for bids on a range of cabin grades regardless of actual availability, in some cases when the chains are processed there will be no availability for the type they bid on so nobody wins.

The bids all have a minimum level set so you can't just bid a token amount.

They can then process the bids to see chains that generate the highest revenue.

So for example if nobody has bid on your YC inside cabin, then someone with a lower bid than you, but currently in a more popular cabin type could get the YC Delux as the total revenue from that move is higher.

Edited by Mark_T

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

They will often solicit for bids on a range of cabin grades regardless of actual availability.

The bids all have a minimum level set so you can't just bid a token amount.

They can then process the bids to see chains that generate the highest revenue.

So for example if nobody has bid on your YC inside cabin, then someone with a lower bid than you, but currently in a more popular cabin type could get the YC Delux as the total revenue from that move is higher.

Long story short -- I shall be happy with what I have an enjoy the inside but if not, I will then look forward to my YCD in Dec 2023!  Thanks for all the info...

I miss the days when you could call in and just get upgrade (NCL Haven 2016 era)...the good old days...

Edited by xcell

Just now, xcell said:

I miss the days when you could call in and just get upgrade (NCL Haven 2016 era)...the good old days...

There was one line we used to sail on some years ago where the 'upgrade fairy' would just magically change your cabin on boarding day, I think in about 5 cruises we only sailed in the cabin we booked once...

On 8/11/2023 at 8:40 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Already upgraded or their bid amounts are lower to try and get the upgrade?

It seems their non-YC cabin was upgraded to YCD for a lower amount than my min bid from YCI to YCD but as Mark_T had mentioned, maybe they had an Aurea Suite (they didn't mentioned that).  

In any case, I'm just glad to be on a cruise and in the YC

For me this time,  the minimum bid for me for a YCI to a YCD is $980 and the amount to upgrade is $1000 when there are 30% of the YCD cabins left 3 weeks before the cruise.  This seems weird to me.

20 minutes ago, xcell said:

It seems their non-YC cabin was upgraded to YCD for a lower amount than my min bid from YCI to YCD but as Mark_T had mentioned, maybe they had an Aurea Suite (they didn't mentioned that). 

As mentioned earlier, it is entirely possible that they were not in an Aura suite, but the total gain from their bid + another bid for the cabin they left, and even another bid from someone taking that one, so say 3 cabins in that chain was more than they could get by taking your bid if there wasn't much interest in your cabin...

It is all about the whole chain, not just one individual bid.

• Like 1

We were just onboard Seaside YC this week.  We had booked YC Interior YIN and talked to the Concierge on embarkation day and

were offered an upgrade to YC Deluxe Balcony Suite YC1 which we accepted.

We did the same on Seashore in the past as well. 

7 hours ago, Motegi said:

We were just onboard Seaside YC this week.  We had booked YC Interior YIN and talked to the Concierge on embarkation day and

were offered an upgrade to YC Deluxe Balcony Suite YC1 which we accepted.

We did the same on Seashore in the past as well. 

I guess the ship wasn't sold out?

May I ask, was this a free upgrade ot monetary?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, xcell said:

May I ask, was this a free upgrade ot monetary?

I would like to know this as well. We're currently booked in a YC Grand (walk-in closet on 19) for 2 weeks next month on Seascape. Just received another round of upgrade offers for both weeks, for Royal and Owner's suites. The cost to upgrade to the Royal would still be almost 5k per week and the Owner's is even more.