Scary Medical Emergency - Cruise Credit Chance

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Fed up? 🙄 Op didn’t ask about a refund. The question was about a credit for a future cruise. And op acknowledged they will purchase insurance in the future. Lesson learned. Sometimes I get fed up with the lack of compassion around here. 

As far as the cruise line is concerned, a FCC might as well be a refund.  They can only fill that cabin for that cruise once.  Once the ship sails, the opportunity is lost.  If they refund the fare it's as if the cabin was never sold.  If they issue a FCC, it's as if they were paid for one out of two sailings since this cruise was "paid for" but the next one is not.  

In the hotel business we were much more likely to make exceptions if we still had an opportunity to sell that room for the night in question.

• Like 1

Maybe "fed up" wasn't the best term, but I get the message.  Many pay for insurance to cover unforeseen instances.  Others don't.  If the cruise line offers some sort of FCC, refund (call it what you want) than why do the rest of us need to purchase insurance?

Every instance is sad, but that is why one purchases insurance. 

M

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Fed up? 🙄 Op didn’t ask about a refund. The question was about a credit for a future cruise. And op acknowledged they will purchase insurance in the future. Lesson learned. Sometimes I get fed up with the lack of compassion around here. 

What does compassion have to do with anything? Do you have compassion for the other car driver in the accident who didn't bother to buy insurance because it costs money? And as far as future credit goes I don't see that either. Why should Royal put out for that expense? And someone saying they will buy insurance in the future should pay the price now for not having bought it. That's how life (and insurance) works.

Edited by BennyandBo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Maybe "fed up" wasn't the best term, but I get the message.  Many pay for insurance to cover unforeseen instances.  Others don't.  If the cruise line offers some sort of FCC, refund (call it what you want) than why do the rest of us need to purchase insurance?

Every instance is sad, but that is why one purchases insurance. 

M

Fed up was and is how I feel about people looking for a break after being forced to learn a lesson and loose money because they thought they would save a few bucks on insurance. Why? They don't like to spend money on insurance? Who does? Again, that's how insurance and life work. I would be rich if I got back all the money I have spent on insurance in my lifetime. Gee I wish I had bought insurance after the fact should come with a financial cost. Otherwise nobody would pay for insurance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Fed up was and is how I feel about people looking for a break after being forced to learn a lesson and loose money because they thought they would save a few bucks on insurance.

Fair enough. I didn’t get the sense that op was looking for a break as much as asking about viable options in a scary and unfortunate circumstance….hence my call for compassion. Nobody wants a lecture in their time of need. Just saying. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Fair enough. I didn’t get the sense that op was looking for a break as much as asking about viable options in a scary and unfortunate circumstance….hence my call for compassion. Nobody wants a lecture in their time of need. Just saying. 

I didn't and don't see it as "time of need" though. I read it as looking for a break to salvage some money/credit after the fact. And I wasn't lecturing because my comment was really to everyone on the whole. I'm sorry when anyone gets sick and wish them well. And yes it stinks when something gets in the way of your trip. But this is what the insurance is for. Getting a future credit is hardly a "time of need" problem. Lol

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

And I wasn't lecturing because my comment was really to everyone on the whole.

Saying you’re fed up with people looking for ways to salvage a cruise expense while skirting the outlay of travel insurance (paraphrasing, of course) really had no place in this thread.  You offered nothing helpful and used OP’s unfortunate circumstance to make a point. IMO your commentary to the community as a whole would be better served in a thread of its own. Anyway… it’s a dead horse. I can agree to disagree and wish you happy cruising 🚢️. 

19 hours ago, dahirsh said:

As far as the cruise line is concerned, a FCC might as well be a refund.  They can only fill that cabin for that cruise once.  Once the ship sails, the opportunity is lost.  If they refund the fare it's as if the cabin was never sold.  If they issue a FCC, it's as if they were paid for one out of two sailings since this cruise was "paid for" but the next one is not.  

In the hotel business we were much more likely to make exceptions if we still had an opportunity to sell that room for the night in question.

Yes, and in the OP’s case two of the four people sailed, so there may not have even been a vacant cabin due to the two missing passengers.  If there was no vacant cabin, there was Royal could not even recoup a bit of money via RoyalUp.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Saying you’re fed up with people looking for ways to salvage a cruise expense while skirting the outlay of travel insurance (paraphrasing, of course) really had no place in this thread.  You offered nothing helpful and used OP’s unfortunate circumstance to make a point. IMO your commentary to the community as a whole would be better served in a thread of its own. Anyway… it’s a dead horse. I can agree to disagree and wish you happy cruising 🚢️. 

It's not your place to decide what is relevant in this thread and what is not. I was very much on topic 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Big_G said:

The OP just asked a reasonable question given there circumstance so I'm not sure why it would upset people. 

I don't see it as a reasonable question. The circumstance is they didn't purchase insurance and want something even in credit form for basically nothing. 

15 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I don't see it as a reasonable question. The circumstance is they didn't purchase insurance and want something even in credit form for basically nothing. 

Say What Dunno GIF - Say What Dunno Shrug - Discover & Share GIFs 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

Say What Dunno GIF - Say What Dunno Shrug - Discover & Share GIFs 

If Royal bends and gives them something for nothing, who do you think pays for it in the end? The rest of us. Those who do buy insurance and pay higher cruise prices when fcc are given out to those who cry.

Just now, BennyandBo said:

If Royal bends and gives them something for nothing, who do you think pays for it in the end? The rest of us. Those who do buy insurance and pay higher cruise prices when fcc are given out to those who cry.

That's up to Royal. No need to get upset that someone asked the question here on CC. That's CC's purpose. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big_G said:

That's up to Royal. No need to get upset that someone asked the question here on CC. That's CC's purpose. 

I'm fed up with people looking to get a break rather than pay for insurance like the rest of us. That's how I feel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I'm fed up with people looking to get a break rather than pay for insurance like the rest of us. That's how I feel. 

You are fed up about something that is the cruise line’s business. You can relax though as it us well known that it is unlikely for cruise lines to give a break. 

On 4/10/2023 at 6:32 AM, Starry Eyes said:

Opinions about what constitutes “good coverage” will vary.  Perhaps career in healthcare leaves one aware of so many sad stories and many very high bills. Thus personally I desire medical coverage much higher than 50K and I hope we never need to use it. Our annual policy has medical limit 250K (though due to advanced age they cut that to 100K for DH; couldn’t find better).

Most medicare supplemental policies cover international travel as well.  We buy a yearly policy for the medical and evacuation and also have the medigap

eeek Americans and health care premiums. Now I'll admit socialized medicine isn't the be all/end all but both wife and I have travel plans through work. Amongst all our other benefits included she gets 5 million per person/per incident and pays $13/cheque for the entire benefit package for our family. Mine isn't as great as I pay $40/cheque and only get 2 million per person/per incident in travel benefits.

Ok sorry about going off topic.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Insurance is a total and complete waste of money, until you suffer a loss and need it.  

and buying it is THE best way to hedge against needing it. it just sells itself 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 5:38 PM, GTO-Girl said:

Last two cruises using the above method we got $500,000 of medical and $1,000,000 of medical evacuation under a policy that serves as primary for a total of $127 for both of us….

What company did you use to buy this type of coverage and only pay for $127 for 2 people?