Reunited with ROTTERDAM - 5 Days of Caribbean Bliss

eroller

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well; you can do so at: Write a Review"

eroller was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Reunited with ROTTERDAM - 5 Days of Caribbean Bliss

May 29, 2023 - Fort Lauderdale; Nassau; Key West; sea day; Half Moon Cay; Fort Lauderdale

Over 300 pictures including daily programs and few videos of the entertainment.

My first sailing with Holland America was on the STATENDAM in the late 70’s.  It also happened to be my second ever cruise, at the ripe old age of 12.  It would be the start of many sailings with my grandmother, on some of her favorite ships.  ROTTERDAM V was one of the those ships, and I was lucky enough to sail on her a few times with my grandmother and later as an adult when she became the REMBRANDT with Premier Cruises.  Twelve years ago my history with the ship ROTTERDAM continued as I sailed on a special transatlantic voyage from New York to Rotterdam on ROTTERDAM VI, followed by a stay on the now hotel ship ROTTERDAM V.  What a great experience!  Fast forward some 45 years and 140 cruises later, and I find myself once again reunited with a very familiar name.  ROTTERDAM.  This time on the new flagship of Holland America, the ROTTERDAM VII.  

I knew I would like the physical ship, as she is a sister to NIEUW STATENDAM which I sailed on a few years back.  I had a great experience on her so would ROTTERDAM VII be the same?  Well I wasn’t so sure after a sub-par experience on NIEUW AMSTERDAM just last October.  That experience left so much to be desired, with issues ranging from mediocre food & service, to a lack of pretty much any evening entertainment.  That entire experience left me feeling meh about HAL but I have learned over the years you can’t judge an entire cruise line by one experience.  There are just too many variables at play and turns out that experience was a bit of an anomoly.  So the timing was right to try out the new ROTTERDAM VII and I’m so glad I did.  I’ll cut right to the chase and say it was a great cruise, with so many of the issues during my last HAL cruise either corrected or they simply didn’t exist.  This is not to say it was perfect, but it did restore my faith in the HAL product.  

Embarkation at Port Everglades was one of the quickest and best organized yet.  We checked in with facial recognition and it worked perfectly.  From entering the terminal to walking on the ship was maybe 10 minutes.  Bravo to HAL for a job well done.  First impressions make lasting impressions and this was a great first impression.  I was in cabin 5020 which was a category VD, outside with veranda.  It was a fine cabin and quiet location, but probably wouldn’t be my first choice if I were to pick.  I had no choice as the only thing available when I booked was a VE guarantee.  HAL originally assigned me cabin 5003 which is very far forward.  I was able to move slightly more midship.  My friend who was sailing on HAL for the first time booked the same guarantee as me and was assigned a nice cabin on Deck 8 right off the forward foyer.  His cabin was actually in category VE that we booked, but honestly was a better location than my “upgrade".  Sometimes an upgrade is not an upgrade.  Cabins on the Pinnacle Class of ships are delightful.  While not huge they are tastefully decorated, well appointed, and nicely laid out.  The bathrooms are lovely with a large shower and the best shower-head and water pressure at sea.  I was curious if it was going to measure up to what we experienced on NIEUW STATENDAM and it did.  Everything in the cabin worked great and was in excellent condition.  A nice touch on HAL are the logo throw blankets provided, which are perfect for afternoon naps.  HAL currently has no additional ships on order, but another Pinnacle Class ship is in the works for Cunard, to be named QUEEN ANNE.  I’m very curious to experience the Cunard interpretation of this platform of ships.    

Unlike my last HAL experience, my cabin stewards never introduced themselves but as the cruise progressed they would say hello and even call me by name in the corridor.  They never spoke to me about the once daily housekeeping service which was the case on my last HAL cruise.  In fact I think that is the only reason the cabin steward went out of his way to introduce himself on that cruise.  I’m happy to say you can still get twice daily service if you desire.  I received the normal morning service, and in the cabin was a door card where you could request any number of items, including a nightly freshen-up service.  You could also request this via the HAL Navigator App which I did, along with evening ice.  It’s not really a turndown anymore, but they do empty the trash and make sure you have fresh towels which is all I ask.  I’m glad the service is still provided as it’s one of those unique attributes that makes cruising so special, and HAL does like to classify itself as a premium brand.  Unfortunately I did not receive the HAL shopping bag, the log booklet of the cruise, or the Mariner Tile.  I’m not sure why, and I didn’t bother to follow-up. My friend up on Deck 8 did receive the log booklet of the cruise.  He also received a towel animal and chocolates on the formal night of the cruise which I did not.  So it seems some things depend on your cabin steward.  We each received a Mariner complimentary drink card (even he did and it was his first HAL cruise) and unlike my last HAL cruise we were able to use it for whatever drink we wanted (within reason).  So we had a couple mixed cocktails of our choice.

Overall cuisine was improved over the previous HAL experience and I was quite happy with it.  There was still a lot of pasta on the dinner menu (cost cutting I think) and they still take your dessert order with everything else (time saving but not proper), but portions were larger and service was really good.  Presentation and quality also seemed improved to me.  Best of all food was served hot!  The Lido Market also had great selections and the quality just seemed better than last October.  We did not dine at any specialty restaurants this cruise, but both Pinnacle Grill and Rudi’s looked busy each evening.  I can’t speak for Tamarind as we never ventured up there at night.  One big difference this cruise was that it was sold out.   Hot spots like the Lido Market, elevators, and open decks were crowded at times, even with bottlenecks.  Overall though the ship holds its passengers well and you could always find space when needed.  I think I got spoiled with 1/2 full sailings after COVID.  The reality of a full ship set in quickly upon boarding.  The elevators were too small and slow, and the Lido Market perhaps too narrow as these two areas are where the crowds were most prevalent.  Two favorite spots are Dive-In for some of the best made-to-order burgers at sea, and NY Pizza.  I’m happy to say pizza by the slice is readily available at NY Pizza on ROTTERDAM which wasn’t the case on NIEUW AMSTERDAM.  On that ship they were adamant about only serving personal pizzas made to order.  No grab and go.  I felt NY Pizza was a perfect spot to avoid the buffet and I’m certain many passengers never discovered it.  I loved this venue for a late breakfast of fruit, cereal, and a toasted blueberry bagel.  Eggs and bacon were offered as well and it was a wonderful & civilized alternative to the buffet.  As this sailing was full and very vibrant with a younger than average HAL clientele, it would have been nice for one food venue to be open past midnight.  I realize this probably isn’t necessary on most HAL cruises, but on this cruise it would have been welcomed as there were many night owls.     

A HUGE improvement this cruise was the entertainment.  I have often joked in the past about HAL being “gods waiting room” and that the ship turns into a ghost town at 10pm, and largely that might still be true, but not cruise.  I was eating my words like never before.  I absolutely loved both the dueling piano players in Billboard Onboard and the BB Kings band.  They were phenomenal and played to a full house each evening.  In fact Melissa Tormene on the piano was one of the best shipboard entertainers I’ve ever experienced.  Honestly she is too good for cruise ships and should be on Broadway.  It was standing room only every night for their piano performances, with many of the staff members even stopping to listen.  Cantare was the headliner in the World Stage theater and they were enjoyable, but not as good as I remember from several years back.  One production show got canceled due to an injury and was replaced with Origin Story, the history of HAL.  I was only able to see half of this presentation on NIEUW AMSTERDAM so I was thrilled to see it in its entirely.  The Cruise Director did a fantastic job with the narration.  I can understand how a presentation like this probably doesn’t interest many people, but as a ship buff and ship history enthusiast I was in heaven.  If there is one style of entertainment still missing from HAL it’s soft cocktail music, either from a soloist or trio.  The Ocean Bar would be a great spot for this, as there is even a piano and small dance floor, but it’s unfortunately never utilized.  Back in the day you might find this style music in the Crow’s Nest, but now that venue is more of a coffee bar and daytime spot.  This is really something I miss on HAL that other lines like Cunard, Celebrity, and Princess (among others) certainly offer.  It’s a nice alternative for before dinner cocktails, or if you just want soft music as opposed to dueling pianos, Rolling Stones Rock Room, and BB Kings which are all loud and high energy.  

This itinerary was packed solid for 5 days but it wasn’t well planned.  We sailed first for Nassau and then to Key West which meant the entire ship had to clear US CBP twice in five days.  Besides the usual clearance in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise we all had to present ourselves in person in Key West for CBP clearance.  It was well organized & handled though, and you were permitted to go ashore once you cleared CBP in the World Stage theater, so the entire ship didn’t have to clear first.  Then it was back to the Bahamas for Half Moon Cay.  Unfortunately our stay here was shortened due a death onboard the night before, and a requirement by the Bahamas that an inspector join the ship prior to clearance.  So that shortened our stay to really about 4 hours, as we had to depart not long after 3pm to make it back to Fort Lauderdale on time.  Twice I clocked us sailing at 21 knots which is almost unheard of in this day of “slow boat to China” itinerary planning to offset fuel costs.  It was great sailing at close to maximum speed for the ship and reminded me of the old days of cruising when that speed was much more typical.  As the Captain stated during his speech departing Half Moon Cay, we would need to put the “petal to the metal” to get back in time.    

Back in Fort Lauderdale disembarkation was painless, and again facial recognition technology was used to get off the ship and again in the terminal for CBP clearance.  We were in our car and home 20 minutes later.  A great thing about living in Fort Lauderdale.  So all in all a very enjoyable experience on HAL’s new flagship!  I would not hesitate to sail on her again sometime in the future.  For now though it’s time to cycle back to some other cruise lines and give HAL a break for a few years.  I enjoy variety too much to stick with one line, and part of my enjoyment is trying out new ships and cruise lines.  I have nothing booked at the moment, but that won’t last long!  

Happy sailing to everyone booked on one of those “dam” ships, especially the beautiful flagship ROTTERDAM VII! 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Attached here are a few preview pics from my photo album.  The full selection of over 300 photos and a few videos can be found at the following link.  Daily programs are also included. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72177720307343699

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

Edited by eroller
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

What is the correct date of your cruise?

Thank you for your detailed review.

Oops. March 29, 2023. 

Edited by eroller
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your review! Beautiful photos in the link. I haven’t been on this class of ship and it looks lovely. I’m glad you got to see the Origin Story in its entirety. I really enjoyed it last year. I agree with you about not sticking with one line. We also like to change it up and enjoy the variety and differences.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Thanks for your review! Beautiful photos in the link. I haven’t been on this class of ship and it looks lovely. I’m glad you got to see the Origin Story in its entirety. I really enjoyed it last year. I agree with you about not sticking with one line. We also like to change it up and enjoy the variety and differences.

Glad you also enjoyed Origin Story.  I thought it was very well done.  Unfortunately it was sparsely attended.  Most people are just not interested in ship history.  

16 minutes ago, eroller said:

Glad you also enjoyed Origin Story.  I thought it was very well done.  Unfortunately it was sparsely attended.  Most people are just not interested in ship history.  

Or, have seen it so often that they could be the presenters. They just don't need to go again to it. 

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I have seen it, thought it excellent once. I could even go again, and perhaps could stand to go once every few years. But every cruise? For an evening entertainment? Ah, too much, at the wrong time of day. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Or, have seen it so often that they could be the presenters. They just don't need to go again to it. 

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I have seen it, thought it excellent once. I could even go again, and perhaps could stand to go once every few years. But every cruise? For an evening entertainment? Ah, too much, at the wrong time of day. 

Yes I agree it’s not something for forever but for the 150th anniversary year absolutely.  Also it should not be evening entertainment or the welcome aboard show.  That was the case on NIEUW AMSTERDAM in October and I thought it odd.  Of course there was hardly any entertainment to speak of so the entire cruise was odd, and not in a good way.  

On ROTTERDAM it was not scheduled for evening entertainment or the welcome aboard show. It was scheduled as an afternoon lecture on the sea day.  Very appropriate.  It ended up being scheduled one evening only because of an injury to one of the dancers so the production show was canceled.  

I enjoyed Origins more on ROTTERDAM because of the theater in the round and all the walls being screens.  The presentation works really well in the space.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nolafan said:

Thanks for sharing your pictures and cruise report! I enjoyed reading it. We are looking forward to sailing on her next June. 

You’re welcome and glad you enjoyed the review.  I think you made a good choice! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:31 AM, macaroni said:

We always told the waiter that we would give our dessert order after dinner…..no problem….they did this in the specialty restaurants also. We just waited until the end, and then ordered.

Good to know thanks! 

On 4/9/2023 at 4:31 AM, macaroni said:

We always told the waiter that we would give our dessert order after dinner…..no problem….they did this in the specialty restaurants also. We just waited until the end, and then ordered.

I do the same. I wonder who in corporate decided this is a proper way to do a dinner service?  It only makes sense to ask for a pre order if people want something that is time consuming to prepare such as a souffle.  My HAL waiters haven't even blinked when I asked to wait until after dinner to order.  🙂

~Nancy

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

I do the same. I wonder who in corporate decided this is a proper way to do a dinner service?  It only makes sense to ask for a pre order if people want something that is time consuming to prepare such as a souffle.  My HAL waiters haven't even blinked when I asked to wait until after dinner to order.  🙂

~Nancy

I’m guessing they are trying to speed up the service but I much prefer to order dessert after I’ve finished the main meal.  Next time I’ll request it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eroller said:

I’m guessing they are trying to speed up the service but I much prefer to order dessert after I’ve finished the main meal.  Next time I’ll request it.  

Yes, it doesn’t make sense at all though. I don’t really know until after my main course if I’ll want dessert, or whether I want a light one, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, it doesn’t make sense at all though. I don’t really know until after my main course if I’ll want dessert, or whether I want a light one, etc.

Yes I feel exactly the same way. 

• 1 month later...