Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

Dinner Night 1 Filet Night

IMG_1977.thumb.jpeg.6e432c56aca5292269ec84c0c9df5f83.jpeg

I had the smoked Tomato soup and Iain the Salmon for starters

IMG_1978.thumb.jpeg.da0cb5966c976c98133777008765b199.jpeg

IMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.da8326b57344d068d29b634b42221d6a.jpeg

For mains we both had the Turbot. Which is the best fish dish you will ever have.   Cooked to perfection and flakey.   It is in a nice white sauce. 

IMG_1980.thumb.jpeg.dc334afb6576b3b3888e82279d43e82b.jpeg

For desert I had the poached pear and Iain the Cheese platter. 

IMG_1981.thumb.jpeg.1d53a1463e6816d3ec2dc3cbc95242e9.jpeg

IMG_1982.thumb.jpeg.99918532e3d48eaa192c4b6dfa148513.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised that one of you did not have the filet.  That Turbot does look delicious. 

In looking at the Luminae menu for our upcoming cruise on Millennium it is still the old menu and not the new one you appear to have.  Interesting. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Last year on the Apex , we had the Oceanview at the bow 9103 , from there to the pizza station and back it was about 950 steps 🤣

Wow! We were neighbors! We were in 9019. Did you see the helicopter transport the night we left Brest, France? That was amazing flying by the pilot.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will probably meet them this morning when we go up for a light breakfasts 

Last night we also saw Lyle from South Africa.  They extended his contract and said he was helping the butlers as they were short staffed.  He end his contract at end of this cruise

Please say hi to Lyle from Carole and Aubrey. He had mentioned that he was supposed to return to South Africa this past Jan or Feb.   

Real nail- biter til you got to FLL. I kept checking on my phone!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have been on Edge a couple years ago so pretty much identical. 

I didn't realize you've been on an E-Class ship before. Your many informative posts and contributions don't seem to wade in on E-Class issues which is why I didn't think you've been on this class before. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

May is a good time for Italy.   We were in Venice in August a couple years ago and it was about 100 F and crowded

Yes! It can get hot. We have been there in July. It was awful. We were there last May and it was beautiful. Doing Greece this year for our 30th anniversary 

• Like 2

Hi Jim!

Just catching up on the thread! Looking forward to following you this time! 😂

We actually have friends that are on Apex with you right now. Andy and Carol who live near us. They are in the Retreat also. If you happen to run  Into them please give our best!

Loved the Apex when we sailed her but have to say I like Beyond a bit more. Just a bit more on her. 

So sorry for your travel challenges. Our friends had the same issue but coming down from PA. 

Sail on and have a great time!

Cheers! 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am surprised that one of you did not have the filet.  That Turbot does look delicious. 

In looking at the Luminae menu for our upcoming cruise on Millennium it is still the old menu and not the new one you appear to have.  Interesting. 

It's funny we don't eat a lot of  Red Meat and I had a 1/2 a steak for lunch yesterday.    I almost always have the Lobster Roll.  I've been trying to try things I've never tried before.

Having said that -  Last night the Retreat didn't have any Fre - Red alcohol free wine.   He said he had a non-Alcoholic Gin and wanted to know if I wanted to try.   I did!

All I can say is it was worse than terrible.    Left a real herbal flavor in your mouth that just wouldn't go away.   One and done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, juanrod said:

Just saw apex on the webcam for key west WOW looks so huge next to the houses and businesses at the dock.  Looks like a beautiful day enjoy and have a slice of pie for us 

I did get a piece of Key Lime at Kermit's   -   Can't say it would be my top pick.     Not really first bite tart but the tartness grows on you pallet. 

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I didn't realize you've been on an E-Class ship before. Your many informative posts and contributions don't seem to wade in on E-Class issues which is why I didn't think you've been on this class before. 

We went on Edge on her first Trans-Atlantic.    Enjoyed her but was so long ago and so many things have changed I really don't feel like I know enough about her and so many recent cruisers.  I do read them with enjoyment.

We have mostly been sailing the more exotic itineraries and mostly M and S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

The raspberry pistachio vacherin is there! 
What about those log/trip hazards? What do you think of the balcony? Looks a bit smaller than S class.

It is ....  I'm a happy camper.   It is one of my favorite go to if nothing else interests me.

2 hours ago, gizmo42 said:

Hi Jim

So glad you both made it to the ship yesterday. I'm looking forward to following along on all your adventures and seeing your wonderful photos! It is a fun positive way to start my day.  Gail

Thanks Gail --

So nice to be treated and pampered so well.

7 minutes ago, Redcat62 said:

With all these cruises and delicious food do you pile on the weight?

Love reading your updates 

thanks to you both 

I think because of all the cruises we eat different than others that are only on for a week or two.   We try to eat about the same quantity as we do at home and walking 10 miles a day help.

In the past when I had heavy meals 3-4 times a day I would get to the point of just betting bored of eating.     We also often only eat half a portion  -  have a starter as a main and decline super sizing or double lobster tails etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did get a piece of Key Lime at Kermit's   -   Can't say it would be my top pick.     Not really first bite tart but the tartness grows on you pallet. 

Kermit's is my favorite!  I always get the chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick.