Parking

6 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

You can try Parking4Cruises. My parents have booked with them as like you they found CPS was fully booked for their cruise in May. 

+1.  Every bit as good, just as convenient, sometimes more so, and often considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We were at Southampton end of march and there is a lot of road works on the M3 going into summer. Just be aware if travelling to southampton. From london way. Although the M25 is always congested!!! 

Oh dear, are any of the works after the main Winchester junction?  We have booked the Winchester Hol Inn for early June as the Southampton hotels are quite pricey by comparison.

33 minutes ago, tring said:

Oh dear, are any of the works after the main Winchester junction?  We have booked the Winchester Hol Inn for early June as the Southampton hotels are quite pricey by comparison.

In a word yes. Restrictive lanes and speed limits earlier in year. 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, tring said:

Barrier replacement, it started as soon as the M27 smart motorway was completed. 

Mainly runs OK, just early mornings northbound or when there is an accident. 

You are not too far away to nip through the back streets if needed, but I'm sure you will be OK. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

We have always used CPS for previous cruises, but when trying to book for our October cruise on Aurora, a couple of weeks ago, found them to be fully booked. We phoned P&O and swapped our opted for OBS for free parking and were then able to book with CPS! They must keep back some slots for those with “free parking.” 

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

With the two newest ships now operating ex-southampton in the summer, booking early for CPS is now advisable I think... I have a parking-included fare and booked last month for August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

All the road works are after Winchester.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about roadworks on the M3.  We had always intended leaving the hotel mid morning after a light breakfast and heading to Southampton and find somewhere for a brunch or something, so will continue with that plan, but keep an eye on the traffic news as well.

I appreciate the replies a lot.

Barbara

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Britboys said:

With the two newest ships now operating ex-southampton in the summer, booking early for CPS is now advisable I think... I have a parking-included fare and booked last month for August.

About 6/7 weeks ago we booked Arvia for tomorrow.  We usually use Parking4Cruises, but at that point they no longer had availability.  Britannia is due in tomorrow as well.  Luckily, CPS still had availabilty and as we had booked Select I was able to amend our booking to include parking with them.  OBC reduced by £120, but to have booked directly with CPS would have cost £246, ouch.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tring said:

Hi Tring - what’s the Winchester Holiday Inn like ? Have you been before ? Looking for alternatives to Southampton but near enough - somewhere nice. 

12 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Hi Tring - what’s the Winchester Holiday Inn like ? Have you been before ? Looking for alternatives to Southampton but near enough - somewhere nice. 

We have stayed there once or twice previously, (pre covid), as we use loyalty points, which are more worthwhile given the price of hotels near Southampton.  Price or number of points needed a bit less in Winchester than the Southampton ones and nicely situated imo.

The hotel is not central, but to the East of the city, not far from the M3, but very quietly situated, clearly visible on Google Earth..  We were very happy with the hotel.  We chose to eat a meal.on the way down, then pick up something for our evening meal from the Tesco Extra by the M3 junction - crunchy salads etc.  We usually have the hotel breakfasts, again fine, but this time will likely take cereal/fruit with us, have a lie in and head off to somewhere in Southampton because of potential road delays.  Even with a slow moving roads, it is not far from the port and can stop at the service station on the M27 on the way to make sure we are fresh arriving.  As IHG members, we can ask for a late checkout in their hotels, which we would do in the Southampton hotels, then go straight to the port.

I think there may be a pub nearby where you can get a meal if you do not want to eat in the hotel restaurant, but not been there - may look for it in June, but depends how late we arrive, which can be up to 8pm or later if the traffic is bad, since we like to stop off on the way.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tring said:

We have stayed there once or twice previously, (pre covid), as we use loyalty points, which are more worthwhile given the price of hotels near Southampton.  Price or number of points needed a bit less in Winchester than the Southampton ones and nicely situated imo.

The hotel is not central, but to the East of the city, not far from the M3, but very quietly situated, clearly visible on Google Earth..  We were very happy with the hotel.  We chose to eat a meal.on the way down, then pick up something for our evening meal from the Tesco Extra by the M3 junction - crunchy salads etc.  We usually have the hotel breakfasts, again fine, but this time will likely take cereal/fruit with us, have a lie in and head off to somewhere in Southampton because of potential road delays.  Even with a slow moving roads, it is not far from the port and can stop at the service station on the M27 on the way to make sure we are fresh arriving.  As IHG members, we can ask for a late checkout in their hotels, which we would do in the Southampton hotels, then go straight to the port.

I think there may be a pub nearby where you can get a meal if you do not want to eat in the hotel restaurant, but not been there - may look for it in June, but depends how late we arrive, which can be up to 8pm or later if the traffic is bad, since we like to stop off on the way.

Thanks very much 

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

About 6/7 weeks ago we booked Arvia for tomorrow.  We usually use Parking4Cruises, but at that point they no longer had availability.  Britannia is due in tomorrow as well.  Luckily, CPS still had availabilty and as we had booked Select I was able to amend our booking to include parking with them.  OBC reduced by £120, but to have booked directly with CPS would have cost £246, ouch.

I could have had free parking or £60 obc, so 12 nights free parking was a no-brainer...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks very much 

Also a very big car park at the Winchester hotel and no overnight parking charge.  The Hol Inn, Herbert Walker Ave, (by the docks), charge £15 to park for the night, as do a number of hotels now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1